Pyre: Bastion Devs Announce New RPG For 2017

Supergiant Games, the folks behind Bastion and Transistor, today announced their third game – Pyre [official site]. They call it a “party-based RPG”, telling a story about a group of exiles trying to complete tasks that might just let them be absolved and return home. Pyre is due in 2017 and SuperGiant don’t have too much to say about it right now, but have a gander at this here pretty announcement trailer:

Supergiant explain in today’s announcement:

“Pyre once again showcases our team’s commitment to rich atmospheric presentation and storytelling, along with a distinctive gameplay blend that combines expressive decision-making on the world map with fast, action-packed confrontations against rival groups of exiles whose own freedom is at stake. We want to create a large cast of characters you can grow close to as you travel together across a strange and wondrous land.

“The Story So Far: At the beginning of the game, your luck has almost run out when several masked wanderers find you and revive you from the brink. With your help, they seek to learn the truth about the Rites, a secretive competition through which the worthiest exiles can return home, absolved of their transgressions. As you journey across the Downside in the wanderers’ custom blackwagon, you’ll meet a variety of characters of all shapes and sizes, and learn what’s in store for each of them should they prevail in the Rites. Your actions will determine who returns to glory, and who remains in exile to the end of their days.”

That’s basically all they have to say right now, but they’re showing it at PAX East this week, which will be the grand reveal.

I don’t know what’s up with that song, though. It sounds like the opening credits to a cartoon I’d have reluctantly watched in the ’80s while waiting for an actually good one. The sort of cartoon parents would concede “had a positive message”. That’s the same musicman as Bastion and Transistor though, Darren Korb.

From this site

1. Viral Frog says:

I loved Bastion! A little on the short side, but fun the whole way through. Never played Transistor, but I’ve heard good things. This is one I’ll be keeping an eye on.

2. INCSlayer says:

*Clears throat*
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.
    *Bows and leaves*

3. iniudan says:

Like always Supergiant Games’ art is exceptionally good.

4. Ksempac says:

After the awesomeness of Bastion, and the huge let-down that Transistor was, i’m not sure whether i should be super excited or completely “meh” about that news.

It’s obviously hard to follow-up such a huge unexpected hit as Bastion, but Transistor had some real gameplay issues (super repetitive combat) and was overall boring.

• Luciferous says:

I honestly enjoyed Transistor more than I did Bastion, so for me it is going in the other direction – they’ve just got better with each game and this looks fantastic… time will tell though.

• preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

Agreed. Played both and overall liked Transistor more than Bastion.

Shut up and take my money indeed.

• LefteyeFalconeer says:

Agreed. Transistor was fantastic and I liked it so much more than Bastion.

• Dominus_Anulorum says:

Huh, you are the first person I have seen who liked Bastion more than Transistor. I actually preferred Transistor to Bastion because, oddly enough, I felt like Transistor had better combat. It is repetitive if you approach scenarios the same every time, but you get so many options for crazy combos that I found it to be a nice brain burner. Not trying to invalidate your opinion, of course.

• Ksempac says:

Well to each is own, but regarding combos: Yes there were lot of potential combos in Transistor, but the game actually pushed you to NOT change combo.

First, there were some combos that were efficient against ALL enemies you would ever encounter. If you found one, you had absolutely no incentive to switch things around, except your own desire to experiment (but even that became boring when it was so brainless)

Second, if you played with all limiters (as i did, in a desperate attempt to try to make that game at least a minimum challenging), when you switched a function, the old one would get disabled (like what happens when your life reaches zero), so the game actually pushed you to not change anything once you had a setup that worked. If you had this limiter on, and you switched functions after each fight, you would soon run out of good functions.

Meanwhile in Bastion, the idols (the equivalent of the limiters) would actually raise the challenge, and force you to think about which weapons were best suited to which enemy.

Finally, in new game plus, there was absolutely nothing new, the few enemies that changed were still a derivative of the previous ones and still susceptible to the same combos.

• Zekiel says:

I preferred Bastion too. Transistor was very interesting and I’m glad I play it, but I was disappointed for 3 reasons:

1) The combat did feel a bit repetitive, it was very fiddly (unnecessarily so) to change functions

2) The setting felt needlessly opaque to me – I still didn’t understand much about the setting by the end, and I feel like I really should have done by that point

3) The story structure was really odd (spoilers) – it set you up with 4 baddies, and gave you a really great bossfight with the 1st one about a quarter of the way in, leading me to assume I’d get another bossfight every quarter hence. Then it proceeded to kill two of the other baddies offscreen (while giving you an annoying bossfight with a big worm) and devolved into extremely repetivitive enemies in the last quarter. (Though the final bossfight was pretty damn awesome, to be fair.)

• shadow9d9 says:

Friend and I both liked Bastion much better. First I’ve heard of people liking Transistor better. The reviews didn’t like it as much either if I remember correctly.

5. typographie says:

If the game’s good, so much the better. But confirmation of another Darren Korb OST is what gets my attention.

6. KillahMate says:

“Bastion Devs Annou”SOLD!

• davethejuggler says:

I was like that when transistor was announced, and bought it day 1. I really tried to get into it but just kept bouncing off real hard. Not sure why. The art was awesome, some of the aspects of the gameplay seemed fun but i could only get a few hours in before putting it in the “might play this again some time” basket. Maybe i was just in the wrong frame of mind or something.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what this turns out like, but will be a bit more cautious this time around!

7. Mooney says:

I believe we have yet to address the most important question

Will Logan Cunningham be voice acting in this game?

8. Darth Gangrel says:

My first reaction: Bastion and Transistor are made by the same company!? Shows how little I know of indie devs, lol. To my defense, I don’t play any indie games, my backlog is large enough as it is with big budget games.

Anyway, both Bastion and Transistor are games that aren’t the type of games I usually play, but that I could very well enjoy. Pyre also seems good, so I’m gonna have to add the whole of Supergiant’s game production to my “probably worth playing someday” list.

• mattevansc3 says:

I find indie titles to be the best cure for gaming backlogs. Great, bite sized games that are completed in an evening or weekend and can be ticked off the list.

• Darth Gangrel says:

That might be good if your backlog wasn’t already full with large games from big studios. Adding a snack sized indie game to my backlog and then quickly finishing it is just a zero sum game, X+1 and then X+1-1. At the end of the day, I’ve still got X backlogged games left.

9. Talahar says:

One thing is for sure: the soundtrack will be AMAZING.

• Zekiel says:

Yup. I love the Bastion and Transistor soundtracks even more than the games.

10. vlonk says:

And that is why I read RPS I guess.

Bastion 2011, Transistor 2014, Pyre 2017. 3 year cycle, no addons, no nonsense customer retention bullshit. I appreciate the effort, yet will hopelessly declare: Without a question I will forget everything I knew about Pyre because *information overload* *attention span of a 5 year old* and then RPS will hopefully kindly remind me just in time to throw all my money at them when the 2017 release window rolls around.

• welverin says:

You can be quite certain RPS will remind you when it comes out.

11. Riaktion says:

What a lovely looking game.

12. Zekiel says:

Ooooh exciting! Something I really appreciated about Transistor is how different it was from Bastion (while retaining some core similarities), and Pyre looks interestingly new too. Will await news with interest…

13. Crane says:

FOREWORD
    A Formal Welcome Undersigned by the Eight Scribes

You, dear Reader, are an exile of the downside, such as we, the eight who wrote this Book of Rites. That you possess it, and have capacity to glean its words, is testament enough to your potential.

* Thus we reveal a path from this forsaken place, to freedom! A homecoming in glory.

* The stars themselves shall be your guide. Ere the turning of the year’s first solstice, seek the nearest Longitude beneath the brightest of eight as they align as shown
    [The opposite page bears a constellation resembling the game’s logo]

* Arrive as a triumvirate, clad in the raiments of the Rites, bearing this Book.

* Oblige the voice that tells you more.