Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare Announced

Activision today announced Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare [official site], the latest in their long-running mega-hit military FPS series, and I am sorely disappointed. Firstly, today is a holiday in the UK, so I’m not even supposed to be here. Secondly, Infinite Warfare is about futurewar with spaceships and everything, not the Escherian nightmare that we were assured it would be. This ‘real’ Infinite Warfare does sound exciting, but I can only assume we were deceived as someone’s idea of a ‘joke’.

Activision also announced Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, a revamp of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare – the game which defined the next nine years of CoD.

Here’s Infinite’s announcement trailer, with a peek at Modern Warfare remastered too:

As I said, I’m not even supposed to be here today, so I’ll hand you over to Activision for the marketing blurb on what series creators Infinity Ward are up to:

“Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare puts storytelling front and center in a rich, immersive narrative. Infinity Ward breaks new ground by exploring the weight of leadership and its responsibilities. In a desperate time of overwhelming adversity, the player, as Captain of their own warship, must take command against a relentless enemy. Experienced soldiers are thrust into extraordinary circumstances that will test their training and reveal their true character as they learn to lead and to make the hard decisions necessary to achieve victory. The game also introduces stunning, never before seen environments, new weaponry and inventive player abilities to Call of Duty. The entire campaign – from boots-on-ground combat to piloting high speed space-fighters – occurs as a near seamless experience with few visible loading times, and delivers the hallmark, blockbuster franchise moments that fans love.”

Basically, it’s the future, there’s a lot of war still, and set pieces are going even bigger and more ridiculous as it blasts off into space properly this time. It looks wild. I’m certainly up for scampering around in low-gravity. I think I can see someone stomping around on an asteroid (or maybe the Moon? did someone blow up the Moon? that sounds like something a CoD villain would do) in power armour and yes, that’ll do nicely, thanks.

As for Modern Warfare remastered, there’s a prettied-up version of CoD 4 which will come with the full story campaign and ten multiplayer maps. Raven Software are making it. MW Remastered will come with three of Infinite Warfare’s many editions, and I’d be astonished if Activision don’t sell it separately too.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is due on Friday, November 4th.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Top comments

particlese says:

I was so agitated that I read it again without most of the adjectivey things, and I became de-agitated:
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare puts storytelling in a narrative. Infinity Ward breaks ground by exploring weight and its responsibilities. In a time of adversity, the player, as Captain of their warship, must take command against an enemy. Soldiers are thrust into circumstances that will test their training and reveal their character as they learn to lead and make decisions necessary to achieve victory. The game also introduces environments, weaponry and abilities to Call of Duty. The campaign – from combat to fighters – occurs as an experience with loading times and delivers franchise moments that fans love.

Awesomeclaw says:

I too am working on a bank holiday. It is rubbish.

I’m not sure I’m up for yet another standard Call of Duty. They would have to make some pretty big changes to the game and the way it plays to coax me back.

2. Mr.Bats says:

What upsets me is that shit Bowie cover. Fuck them

• BlackMageMario says:

I actually really liked that cover and thought it was a nice touch. Though the original would have been so much better, and I felt it would still have fit.

Still can’t believe that David Bowie is gone… :C

• Bull0 says:

I dunno, a great song is a great song. Sounded like Trent Reznor maybe?

• Monggerel says:

I’m probably less derisive of CalDut in general than many people around here, but I agree, that was a real shitshow of a Bowie cover.

And it wasn’t even the militaristic tone! Lots of ways you could cut it that would introduce an element of “Hoooaah” without sounding like shit. Heavier percussion in general and a snare drum would provide the tone and be far superior to buttrock guitar for sure.

Then again, who cares.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed. You’d think they could budget to further than the marketing director’s son’s teenage garage band.

• Anti-Skub says:

More depressing is the thought of those inevitable conversation that are going to happen around the world now because of this. “Hey, I know this song, I prefer the original though, you know the one from the Call of Duty trailer? David who?”

• CaptainDju says:

Sir, you just ruined my day with your accurate depiction of a bleak future…

• grimdanfango says:

Just wanted to add my own “Fuck them!”

At least this cynically confirms that even AAA marketing now considers space to be the next big cash-cow. Hopefully should mean there’s plenty more space games to come (that *don’t* piss on Bowie’s grave)

hemmer says:

“Infinity Ward breaks new ground…” is basically where I stopped reading. It’s just so “URGH, marketing!”.

It might be that the new Call of Duty game is a groundbreaking narrative experience but I am a tad too cynical to actually believe a marketing blurb from a AAA military shooter proclaminig its creativity.

particlese says:

Alfy says:

But… But… What will they call the next opus?
    “Neverending Warfare”?
    “Moebus Loop Warfare”?
    “We’re done with Warfare”?

We need a bona fide RPS contest for this!!

distantlurker says:

Infinite Warfare 2: Infinitier

• unacom says:

…delayed indefintely?

• teamcharlie says:

The Marathon series already did this, but ‘Aleph One’ is the closest mathematical approximation to the successor to infinity that is not necessarily itself infinity.

• GameCat says:

COD: “Chuck Norris Counted To Infinity… Twice!” Warfare.

• jonahcutter says:

Call of Duty: Inevitable Heat Deathfare.

• arisian says:

“Call of Duty: Aleph-1”? Though it would be cooler with an an actual aleph character (see Wikipedia), which I don’t think there’s an easy way to embed here. They weren’t specific about what kind of infinity they were talking about with the current title, so as long as we assume it’s a low-order one (e.g. cardinality of the natural numbers), there’s still room to grow :)

• Rao Dao Zao says:

• int says:

Infinitesimal Warfare: you play a nanobot whose mission is to destroy the brain of a cyborg.

• Don Reba says:

Infinity Plus One Warfare

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Call of Duty: Moore’s War

• Jerppa says:

I want “Poop Warfare” but I’m an old man, so it will never happen :(

• Geebs says:

Interminable Warfare

• Bull0 says:

If people actually like this one then, dare I say it, Infinite Warfare 2…? I think that’s basically been Infward’s problem.

• Hunchback says:

Ouroboros Warfare

• anHorse says:

Call of Duty: Warfare All The Way Down

The Almighty Moo says:

Surprised no one has said this yet but

• vorador says:

Call of Duty: Groundhog Warfare.

Because you will feel you’ve played this before.

• All is Well says:

Hopefully Call of Duty: Peacefare.

• Eight Rooks says:

Oh, come on, this is easy. Call of Duty: Beyond Infinity? Call of Duty: The End of Infinity? There, that’s the next two games. :) (Pretty sure at least one JRPG has done this already.)

• Turkey says:

Call of Duty: Anime Warfare

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

2 Infinity (wars) and beyond?

• Hunchback says:

Infinity Wars actually IS a trading card game that exists… or used to exist, i believe it’s closing down or is already closed.

• MaxMcG says:

Shooty McShootface.

5. SMGreer says:

Terrible cover of Bowie aside…the other baffling thing is like, this just looks like a MORE generic version of Killzone.

Also, that snippet of CoD4 remastered looks better than the whole trailer for Infinite Warfare.

6. Bing_oh says:

So, are they selling the CoD4 remaster as a standalone? I might buy that. Otherwise, I havn’t really liked a CoD since MW2, with the current ones being way too scifi for me.

• Bull0 says:

Doubt it, they want people to buy the new one. And I’m all but certain those “10 multiplayer maps” will be for the new CoD MP, not a MW Multiplayer remaster.

• snesbeck says:

The 10 maps are for the COD4 remaster. They will be releasing the other 7 maps later down the line, which you’ll most likely need the season pass for. So it’s looking like $100(86gbp) if you want to play the non-gimped COD4 remaster. Hopefully they release the standalone some point after release, would be a shame if they didn’t. $100 is ludicrous for the mass amount of us with no interest in Infinite Warfare. link to

Syt says:

I like how we’ve gone from futuristic shooters to WW2 shooters, to present day shooters, and now seem to return to futuristic shooters. :)

8. GameCat says:

Eh, no. Just give me the WWII shooter, please?

• unacom says:

I heard they had some good shooting in Indochina, Korea and Algeria some time ago.

• Razumen says:

Eww no, not unless it’s a BF1942 remake.

• Tobberoth says:

This. Been replaying CoD1 recently and it’s just a much more interesting setting which could really benefit from the advances in graphical fidelity. A modern rendition of D-Day Omaha Beach would be amazing.

9. zxcasdqwecat says:

10. Zenicetus says:

The new Mass Effect is looking really exciting!

Ehhh… and I might even get interested if I thought the writing was going to be any good, and not generic COD rah rah in space.

11. DeadCanDance says:

Stopped playing CODs since the first black ops. The formulae is just too much for me. They want to empower your macho self too desperately and the fact that all NPCs keep staring at you like you were some kind of pop star, effectively the only person who can advance their world and history forward is just too ridiculous.

12. Temeraire says:

I’d be excited for this if it weren’t so oppressively…gray…and brown…Someone should give Infinity Ward a color wheel for Christmas. I like space ships and robots as much as the next person, and the idea of AAA zero g shooter combat sounds really exciting (even if it’ll probably definitely be mostly on rails) but could we get some more varied visuals please?

13. Don Reba says:

today is a holiday in the UK

Orthodox Easter is a holiday in the UK?

• anHorse says:

Nah May Day

We get our pseudo pagan holidays on top of the Christian ones

• JB says:

Rain for the rain god! Sleet for the sleet throne!

• Leland Davis says:

The International Workers Holiday is no mere pagan atavism! It is a celebration of the proletariat and a recognition of the eventual destruction of capitalism.

14. Faults says:

I for one vastly prefer this new lasers-and-spaceships era of Call of Duty. I’m much more taken to ridiculous future whimsy than I am to flippant re-enactments of actual wars that millions of people actually died in.

• Distec says:

It’s been a while, but I don’t recall the WW2-era COD games being all that flippant with their subject material, although I only played the first two. And in regards to WW2 games in general, that ship sailed long ago.

It’s when they transitioned to Modern Warfare that things started getting murky for me. They could no longer draw from historical wars, but they also couldn’t directly use current military conflicts (is BLOPS an exception?), which is why you end up with a bunch of contrived, jingoistic, gung-ho crap concocted solely so you have an excuse to shoot baddies. I guess that would be fine if the series was introduced on that note, but it wasn’t. There was an RPS article that focused on this a while back, and it was a good read I agreed with wholeheartedly.

Given the direction COD has pursued since MW, Infinite Warfare is a far more palatable product since it can fully embrace the whizz-bang depictions of fabricated conflicts so far removed from our reality. But it’s still a little sad when you trace the series back to its roots.

• Faults says:

World At War was utter nonsense. That said, I’d honestly almost forgotten about the 1st Call Of Duty, which was legitimately terrifying to play.

• Distec says:

Oh yeah, WAW.

That was when “Treyarch” was considered a bad word, IIRC.

• Rindan says:

I actually found the World War II CoDs to be pretty respectful. Granted, it is really easy to be respectful when killing Nazis. It did switch things up though and give you a Soviet perspective, which was nice. I think it was when you get into later eras, especially with the Black Ops stuff that it started to get a bit icky if you thought too hard about the implications of a bunch of Americans blasting their way through shanty towns and refugees camps filled with brown people.

CoD doesn’t have enough subtly to explore military combat in any terribly interesting way. I would love to see a CoD like game with civilians in it. Further, make it so that killing civilians isn’t game over. Instead perhaps make it subtly influence how your own men operate, how well they follow the rules of engagement, and how hostile civilians act.

It is fun to tear your way through uniformed soldiers, but the experience of going down a street filled with civilians and only a handful of them armed and hostile would actually be interesting and thoughtful. Alas, I highly doubt CoD will be the one to explore that rather controversial examination of the subject.

Nauallis says:

I can tell you never played The Division.

• Rindan says:

That’s the game where random homeless guys armed with crow bars will attack squad of heavily armed men dudes, and then you kill said homeless guy by unloading a couple of clips into their head, right? I struggle to articulate how little interest I have in a 3rd person shooter with MMORPG like combat and leveling.

• Leland Davis says:

The best opportunity to explore some of those ideas would have been in Far Cry 2. Those environments were perfect for a civilian-filled slaughter-fest, as your amoral mercenary does whatever is necessary to ensure the conflict destroys every possible bit of infrastructure and economy still standing. The proper way to deal with civilian casualties in such a situation would have been to completely ignore them. No, more than that – ensure by level design that it is next to impossible to avoid them, especially in places like that awful shantytown, where bullets tear through canvas and corrugated iron walls and hit pretty much everybody.

15. Fede says:

Watched the trailer in Italian, who translated this? I have something to complain about half lines, but:

Godspeed, Captains. -> Velocità Divina, Capitano.

Captains is plural while tha translation is singular (and besides, after a comma it must be lowercase, since it’s not the name of a character) and Godspeed has been translated literally. Mind-boggling.

• giovanni says:

Forse un riferimento al Vento Divino di nipponica memoria?

• Fede says:

Oddio, mi sembrerebbe un po’ tirata, come spiegazione.

Penso che in quel contesto possa essere solo tradotto con qualcosa di equivalente a “buona fortuna” (basta scegliere una qualsiasi delle sue innumerevoli varianti: “in bocca al lupo”, “in culo alla balena”, eccetera).
        Speriamo che mettano in mano il gioco a professionisti più seri.

16. Bull0 says:

Lots of bold risky comments from the edgelords keeping it fresh with totally original blind hate! Good stuff, good stuff.

• Faults says:

What comments are you referring to here? I see plenty of low-key snark, but blind hate? Seems a tad hyperbolic surely?

teije says:

It’s the best of both worlds. Blindingly snarky low-key hatred.

• Bull0 says:

You’re right, hate is too strong a word really, I just meant sort of blind dismissal. Comments that are like “well it’s COD so the writing is going to be crap” or “well I haven’t played one since it stopped being set in WW2 but I still know this will be shit”

• Zenicetus says:

It’s not blind dismissal to assume the writing will be crap, if they’re showing a trailer where the writing is crap.

Maybe it will be better than it looks. Trailers have to be bombastic, especially for this series…

17. Freud says:

I played the one with terrorists and the president, but haven’t played any since.

18. Nice Save says:

The reboot of the original MW is where you find your escher – they’re going to do all of them alongside the future ones, then when they get to Infinite Warfare in the reboots, they’ll start a MW reboot-reboot. By 2030 we’ll have 10 levels of reboot, each several games behind the one before, and each slightly more surreal than the last.

• April March says:

I can see now: the atomic explosion leading directly and seamlessly to the Chernobyl level, leaving players confused and disoriented. Is this still a flashback, as in the original game, nowadays little more than a legend? Did this nuclear explosion somehow cause Chernobyl in this universe, and you’re now in the future exploring it with a different character? Is your character trapped in limbo? Is this level just the random firings of his brain, while he dies slowly of radiation poisoning? Bizarre happenings continue in the level, until in the climax the ferris wheel slowly but ineroxably turns into Captain Price’s face. The camera pans out and the entire level takes place in his mustache. The camera pans out and he is playing a different game of Call of Duty in a dusty Cairo apartment. The camera pans to the screen. The game continues without comment. Angry and confused gamers flock to the internet to complain that modern games are awful and not even real games and reminisce about real games, like Proteus and Gone Home.

• BlueTemplar says:

Modern Warfare : Infinite Remake

The Almighty Moo says:

A remake of the original may well be worth buying if to do nothing else but (hopefully though probably not) give us on sofa multiplayer on the PC. Playing our own rules variants of the original still gets a giggle even today.

20. Solidstate89 says:

This is so silly.

I’m almost impressed that this is the route that CoD has taken after so many rehashes of modern military shooter man.

• April March says:

I must admit there’s something beautiful about a series that goes from historical combat to modern combat to science fiction.

• BlueTemplar says:

I’m a bit sad, I was rooting for Assassin’s Creed to get there first!
        Assassin’s Creed : Captain Harlock?

21. Det. Bullock says:

Wait, space combat (presumably with old school dogfighting) in Call of Duty?
    Space Combat with old school dogfighting in a mainstream game?
    Perhaps the days of EA doing a “remaster” of X-wing aren’t that far…

Or I’m just a deluded fanboy, but hey, at least my delusion doesn’t consist in believing the Earth is flat.

gritz says:

I’m pretty sure there’s zero chance of the “dogfighting” in this game being anything but a Rogue Leader type of rails

• Det. Bullock says:

Even Rogue Leader would be nice (as long as you are not forced to use a gamepad or mouse and keyboard), what I don’t want is whatever that thing in Star Wars Battlefront was.

• Koozer says:

Hey! Rogue Leader wasn’t on rails! You could quite happily do dramatic loops around a Star Destroyer, or at least half a loop before hitting the bridge and exploding.

• GameCat says:

Of course Earth is not flat.
      It’s hollow inside, otherwise how the nazis could make their underground bases there?

Checkmate round Earth atheists.

22. deadlybydsgn says:

To be honest, I’m kind of glad they’re pushing into new arenas. Maybe they’ll eventually get back to making something I’ll want to play.

EA has invented another reason to keep from selling CoD4 at a reasonable price.

23. Pulstar says:

I can’t even bother to watch the trailer in full.

24. dan! says:

Holy shit! They’re actually going to allow you to open doors this time.

25. jontaro says:

So main character is a captain of a spaceship who instead of captaining runs around shooting people and flying spacefighters. While leaving that spaceship tend for itself, doesn’t sound like a very good officer.

Nauallis says:

Nope, but it does sound an awful lot like Star Trek.

• Scripten says:

Let’s petition them to put Shatner in.

• Jackablade says:

I’d be genuinely surprised if he didn’t turn up in the inevitable space zombie levels

26. PancakeWizard says:

IW played the long-con. A couple more iterations of the franchise and CoD will have become Starlancer.

27. Dancing Joker says:

Call of Halo

• Hobbes says:

I think you might be on to something here…

Infinite Warfare slowly morphs into some hideous mutant of Halo which in turn has mutated into the hideous mutant that is Destiny.

• bill says:

Call of Duty: Angels Fall First?
      Call of Duty: Battlefront*

*the one not the new one.

Maybe, I can’t be bothered to watch the trailer.

• iainl says:

I was kind of just nodding through the trailer for the most part, as it looked like what I’d expect if Bungie’s execs got on a Skype call with Infinity Ward’s ones; there’s one building in particular that looks straight out of one of Halo 3’s levels.

So for it suddenly to go No Man’s Sky was a bit of a surprise.

• Anti-Skub says:

It didn’t go No Man’s Sky…there’s a very big difference between seamless gameplay between ground and space and going from a ground level to a space level with a cutscene.

I’d be extremely surprised if the space part wasn’t something like an on rails shooter or a one off set piece that tells you to “get back to the fight” if you try and fly more than 50 feet to the side.

28. MrUnimport says:

As keen as I am on future space wars, this looks generic as all get-out. Seeing what is probably our super soldierman pilot a space fighter from Earth to orbit where he will shoot down an enemy space fleet kind of sealed it for me that there’s going to be no departure here from the modern COD ‘spec ops superheroics’ idiom. It’s funny that there’s a snippet of COD4 at the end, because that’s the last game to handle it even remotely tastefully.

Nauallis says:

It looks like Long Night of Solace from Halo:Reach, but I keep forgetting the commenters here are primarily PC-only, and so you folks miss a lot.

• P.Funk says:

I think you gotta have a lot of balls to use a mediocre David Bowie cover this soon after his death to sell this jingoistic Bayhem.

• P.Funk says:

Yay for wrong person replied to. Please ignore in the context of your own discussion.

Cooper says:

Amongst the voices:
    “It’s the biggest SUPRISE attack in the history of the world. How could they have not seen it coming?”

Grade-A writing there…

cpt_freakout says:

Let me guess: pigeons finally had it with meagre breadcrumbs, and they

30. SuperUnheardOf says:

The prequel to Space: Above & Beyond that you never asked for.

31. Napalm Sushi says:

So it’s basically the standard Gundam plot (Earth’s interplanetary colonies declare independence and launch a surprise strike against the motherland)?

32. KastaRules says:

They can’t be serious

33. SomeDuder says:

It’s just like my japaknees animus!!!!1

Still, I’d say they are shooting themselves in their big dumb American action foot – where do they go from here in 2018? They now did the solar system, so whats next? Our galaxy? The UNIVERSE?

I’d be partial to just 10 hours worth of gameplay in the form of a Big American Hero type just sitting on a chair and masticating for 10 hours.

34. haldolium says:

35. Don Reba says:

I, for one, think it would be worth making space versions of all the previous CoDs.

36. Superpat says:

Only interested if there is no sound but your breathing and the radio when you’re in space.

• Koozer says:

A single hit will kill you outright if you’re lucky, otherwise your suit will depressurise and you’ll get to enjoy the experience of the air in your lungs being forcibly sucked out while your bodily fluids freeze, including eyeball juices.

37. Avus says:

Who would have thought CoD has space battle and that stupidly overpriced POS Star Wars eye candy from E fxxking A doesn’t?

Also this is the BF:2142 successor that EA/Dice never want to make…

• April March says:

If space is anything other than a pretty backdrop I’ll eat my hat. (I have a chocolate hat in case I’m ever wrong.)

• LionsPhil says:

If I had a chocolate hat I think I would find myself making unlikely bold assertions in the quiet hope they would prove incorrect more often.

• Llewyn says:

If I had a chocolate hat I wouldn’t have a chocolate hat for long.

38. Michael Manning says:

What happened to Raven?

keefybabe says:

Lol of Duty : Infinite Lol

40. Peppergomez says:

This franchise sums up all the worst things about being an American, right down to shitty cover songs

41. Bforceny says:

Oh man this is so exciting, Call of Duty: Adjective War Lexicon. Just look at the press release –
    “Call of Duty: Adjective War Lexicon tells a story. Dev Studio breaks new ground by exploring a facet of war. Against the odds, the player, as a pair of hands, must take command against uniforms. Sodiers achieve victory. The game also introduces space environments, weaponry and abilities to Call of Duty. The entire campaign occurs and delivers moments that fans love.

42. enazstfu says:

Sooo… can we agree that the space part is just Long Night of Solace from halo reach?