Watch A Cybercat Explore A Kowloon-y Cybercity

The game doesn’t have a proper name yet and I couldn’t rightly tell you what it is, but I am certainly enjoying seeing a cat roam the neon alleys of a cybercity inspired by Kowloon Walled City in HK Project [dev blog]. Creators Koola & Viv call it “a cat adventure video game” – a grossly underserved genre. We’ll get to be a cybercat wandering down alleyways, platforming around, and generally taking in the sights? It’s still early days for the game, but my Monday’s certainly brightened up by watching this:

That’s a peek at their latest “graphic test”, shown on Saturday. Here’s another small look, from April:

As for what it actually is, this prototype from January shows a little of the platforming systems they’ve been working on:

“We need few more years to make what we want,” the devs say in an FAQ. That’s fine. I am happy as long as pleasant pictures and clips and GIFs keep appearing in my RSS reader. Yes, that includes them playing with the Procedural Trash Placer (that’s some Unreal Engine tech made by Ammobox Studios):

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Awesomeclaw says:

That trash placer would make one hell of a screensaver.

2. Jakkar says:

So tired of being a bipedal tank. Except when I actually am, i.e. Armored Core, the previous main series by the makers of the Souls games – a legitimately ‘sim’ take on being a mercenary in a giant robot, intentionally incredibly clunky and more like driving a walking tank than simply walking a third person character around.

I want to be other things than ‘sliding animation with two legs and a firearm in the place of a single lower-right eyelash’… Or ‘meaningless floating polygon with specular highlights in space’, or ‘as above, but in a car’.

Physicality is key – one of GTA IV’s few truly shiny qualities was the physicality of your animations, pulled off even better in Red Dead Redemption, but we were still grumpy bearded men for some reason.

I’ve been craving, for example, a multiplayer combat game in which I’m something else – cat-like, snake-like, bird-like, amoeboid, an accelerated slime-mould, a frog, a spider, an octopus…

Depth was a breath of fresh air – sharks are bloody wonderful. It’s so novel, being a chunk of hydrodynamic hungry single-mindedness, increasing forward momentum and whipping around turns in the dark…

Yes, more of this, with extra fries. Bloody anthropocentrists, we’re one of the most locomotionally boring things on the planet.

I’d rather play a snail, at least then Call of Duty’s pacing and absence of interactivity would be immersive.

Harlander says:

What’s that game that popped up on the radar recently where you’re gonna be a snake slithering smoothly over stuff?

• MrUnimport says:

Hold on, now, last I’d seen of Armored Core it was about ninja-quick deathbricks zooming around on rocket boosters. And that in permanent third person, too, with the cockpit view being hugely limiting. I think it’s just one flavour of the mecha fantasy, really.

• Jakkar says:

Sorry, should have been more specific – I played Armored Core 2 and its minisequel/expansion, back on the PS2. Much more.. Simmy, then. You were more likely to die due to overheating in combat during a dust storm, having run out of ammo, than you were to simply be shot to death in direct, simple combat.

• Kollega says:

And now I really want some game with a frog protagonist who moves in a realistic frog-like way. Don’t know what it could be, though.

• jamesgecko says:

You should probably look up NEO AQUARIUM – The King of Crustaceans post-haste. Yes, this is absolutely a game about lobsters shooting laser beams at barnacles.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

There aren’t enough games with animals as protagonists.

Even dicks like cats.

FhnuZoag says:

I feel like cats are a perfect animal for cyberpunk, somehow, so colour me interested. Really wonder why it hasn’t been done before.

Harlander says:

Cool, a game inspired by the CIA’s Acoustic Kitty project.

6. VeritableHero says:

This looks interesting. I really enjoy the game dev updates and work in progress videos. Fascinating to see behind the curtain.

And… procedural trash!

7. Holysheep says:

that’s nice looking and pretty interesting in general but where would the gameplay be in that?

8. ZamFear says:

Mirror’s Edge: Cat-alyst?

9. tonicer says:

I wish it was first person with FBA (Full Body Awareness).

10. klops says:

At least two Kowloon themed games in the making!

11. Kollega says:

Well, here’s a cat-based exploration game. One less game idea that I have to concern myself with perhaps making someday :P

I wonder about the particulars of this game. Would one be able to climb to the very rooftops of the city and see the city skyline, or is the city too cyberpunk for a cat to be able to climb high enough?

gritz says:

I want this more than I want another Deus Ex.

13. G-Lord says:

Wow, what an amazing aesthetic. Looks like a prerendered PS1 era game running in real time.

14. Napalm Sushi says:

I like that all the jumps seem to just succeed automatically. There’s room for a game about exploring treacherous geography in a manner that’s forgiving and relaxing, the gameplay being about navigation rather than control, and it makes total sense when the protagonist is a streetwise feline.

15. Avus says:

Google “Kowloon Wall City”, it was an unreal place.

16. crépuscule says:

Yesssss… please give us more of this type of thing, game overlords. As much as I love highly interactive games, sometimes I just want to be a passive observer and explorer. And in the words of the highly esteemed and not at all pathetic John Kasich, link to

heretic says:

That looks awesome! Looking forward to it :)