CDP: ‘There Won’t Be Any Witcher 4 Any Time Soon’

Chinny-reckon! Only superhero movies and Star Wars announce sequels years in advance. Everyone else pretends nope, there’s just this one thing we’re doing right now and you’ll have to wait to find out if there’ll ever be another. And so it is that CD Projekt Red are protesting that they have no current plans for a fourth Witcher game, claiming that the upcoming Blood & Wine expansion for The Witcher 3 “is the end.”

CHINNY-RECKON.

Following Blood and Wine, they’ve got the long-anticipated sci-fi RPG Cyberpunk 2077, which has presumably benefited from a huge cash-pump in the wake of Witcher 3’s huge success.

Speaking to Bertie on Eurogamer, CDP co-founder Marcin Iwinski claimed that “We don’t have anything planned as of now to be honest on the next Witcher… Never say never [but] right now it’s really Blood and Wine. This is the end. Blood and Wine is [the] closing and there won’t be any Witcher any time soon – if there ever will be one. And I would really like to see how people feel about it, if they will enjoy it.”

He did, however, also note that “We are a publicly traded company so we cannot comment on that” – i.e. when you’ve got shareholders you can’t easily speak for them, or spook them by disrupting far-off marketing plans.

There is a “triple-A roleplaying game” due from CDP following Cyberpunk, with 2017-2021 noted as its theoretical launch window, which could or could not be another Witcher. And could or could not be a Witcher starring Geralt even if it is one, given how strongly CDP are hinting that Blood & Wine is the end of his story. “Blood and Wine is the dot on the end of a beautiful sentence which is The Witcher 3.”

Man, I so need to finish the main game. Though perhaps I’ve got until 2021 to do it.

From this site

Kreeth says:

I like the idea of them saying “that’s it for Geralt” – sometimes stories should have an end.

Would love more games in the setting though.

• Sinjun says:

There’s no way this is the end for Geralt. Witcher 3 was way too popular. We’ll see a sequel in like 7 years or something.

• Tuidjy says:

It does not have to be the end of Geralt, and it does not have to be the end of the Witcher franchise.

They could simply have a story for a new character in the same world, for example someone who rediscovers the Witcher creation process, and have Geralt appear as an NPC, for example as someone whose advice and insight you seek.

• molamolacolacake says:

Exactly. I’m OK with this closing out Geralt’s story–guy deserves a break anyway at this point. But I’d love to have a new Witcher game set in the world where maybe you can be a different witcher or create your own witcher and the school or something like that.

Kreeth says:

Yeah, I like the idea of the witcher school. To be honest though, I’d happily play bog standard fighter/mage/mercenary or whatever in the world. Like, join one of those companies with the guys you speak to at the beginning of Witcher 2 (the ones you get the amulet off) or something. There’s a lot of world to explore if they want to give us the chance.

• DThor says:

Yep, that’s one reason I love a lot of series drama – come in, kick ass and tell stories, finish it and go. Stop this endless returning to the well and letting you ride it’s coattails.
      I would love to see Geralt appear temporarily as a secondary character in another story, perhaps, that could be cool. Really, CD shines because they respect good stories so much, just stick to that.

• DDark says:

They said this already, like 4-5 times now. Geralt’s story is over but its not the end of the series. They will make more of these games in the future, but with another protagonist. I always respect devs that understand when to put a full-stop and start again.

Kreeth says:

I’ve heard them say it, I hope they stick to it. I think they’ve done enough to earn our trust that they’ll do it right though, whatever they choose.

Can’t wait for cyberpunk :).

• Buggery says:

Definitely would do well to finish on a high. I’ve loved the games enough to read all the novels and play each title at least twice, but sometimes it’s best to say goodbye when it feels right.

With that said, spinoff titles about other historical witchers would be acceptable.

2. ran93r says:

Bever say never indeed.

I’m cool with this, I haven’t explored all of Wild Hunt, not even close and I’m pretty damn excited to see how they handle Cyberpunk.

3. njury says:

Never got around to finishing witcher 2, but everyone tells me how great the third is.
    I’ll wait playing it until I have the time to immerse myself – i.e when my SO goes on a business trip or something :P

4. Andrew says:

Same. But I think I have time until “No Man’s Sky”. Then until “Deus Ex”. Then untill DLC for “Dark Souls III”. Then…

5. Don Reba says:

They should make Witcher 4 a modern RPG with MOBA elements.

6. Lakshmi says:

Witcher 3 was a beautiful story but I like how it ended. Plus it’d be hard to see how Witcher 4 could reconcile those endings unless they did a BioWare and ignored your choices.

• DDark says:

They are going to use another character or let us make our own. Probably will either skip few 100 years to the past or the future. I am eagerly awaiting the day.

• Wormerine says:

That would be a horrible idea. Geralt is a central part of Witcher universe. It is his point of view, personal convictions and dilemmas, which shape the world around him. Without him it would be just another gritty “oh we are so serious” fantasy world. If they would want to do something of that sort they would need to create a new world. Maybe sharing some similarities with the world of Witcher, but build and presented differently.

• DDark says:

Umm.. .No. The matters in the Witcher games have always been small. While in Witcher 3 you can crown the empress and depending on the Witcher 2’s decisions the kingdoms fates are decided. Geralt has always played a small role, and his interactions can be done with any other witcher. And much of his personal dilemas are already nulled in the games if you so choose to. A new character with new relationships. I for one am glad a Story has come to its conclusion. Now its time for another character, a’la Mass Effect style. Where we form the relationships and given a bit more options. The Witcher universe does not revolve around Geralt, he is just an inhabitant and none of the events he takes part are world shattering when you put it to perspective.

7. Thurgret says:

Sometimes, stories just need a definite end, and I was happy with the one provided by The Witcher 3.

Of course, then Hearts of Stone made it all a bit odd and unsettled the narrative, and I had trouble getting into it as a result.

8. Sinjun says:

I’m going to be in my mid-30’s until I see Geralt again and I’m ok with that. Cyberpunk could be something amazing if they put their full focus on it.

9. Freud says:

Just let us play Ciri in Witcher 4. Geralt can be a side character.

• Lakshmi says:

Which Ciri though – Dead Ciri? Empress Ciri? Witcher Ciri? I’d love it if they could manage a game that deals with all three endings.

• Somerled says:

Every sequel should handle its predecessor’s multiple endings the same way as Daggerfall’s endings: every possible outcome happened at the same time because of shenanigans.

• Zenicetus says:

That’s the obvious way to continue the series, but I hope they don’t do it. The series felt complete at the story ending point. Even the two DLC’s feel a bit odd after the ending I got (Ciri as she-Witcher).

Besides, Ciri may not be a good foundation for a major continuation of the series. Her special innate skills were very powerful, so they’d have to basically redesign the character to allow progress from Level 1 in an RPG game. I don’t think that would feel right, after what we saw she could do in Witcher 3.

• misho8723 says:

But how would they do that? Ciri in the end of TW3 is almost the most powerful character in the Witcher world (universe), so what way make the game with that in mind? It wouldn’t be really enjobable to play as such a strong Ciri.. it wouldn’t work as a RPG game.. only way to make Ciri the playable character is to make the story be some years prior to TW3, maybe even go back as far as the books were.. and make the game action-adventure compared to RPG

10. Jac says:

Whoah there. Dead Ciri?! As in she can actually die herself dead?! I did not know such things could happen.

• Lakshmi says:

Sorry I didn’t realise dead Ciri was a spoiler – the games been out quite a while.

• Gibs says:

I did not finish the game cause waiting to buy new card this summer to enjoy it in all its glory..so what the fuck?!

• lordcooper says:

link to youtube.com

I really like this ending, in a way.

Obviously spoilers abound.

11. Michael Fogg says:

Ciri’s trans-dimensional adventures before the actual ending

12. Aveline says:

Ciri does mention she went to a world where people rode around on metal horses and fought with their minds – sounds pretty cyberpunky to me. Personally, I’d love to play “Ciri & Avallac’h Interdimensional Adventures”.

13. Wormerine says:

I do hope this is the end. As much as I enjoyed Witcher trilogy and I am looking forward to B&W, enough is enough. Witcher 3 was a magical game and it would be a shame to over do it. The ending is such a strong one. Where do you go from there?

I hope the Cyberpunk will do well for them, and they will manage to be as creative and innovative as they have been till this point.

14. a very affectionate parrot says:

I would love if CDPR made a bunch of small Witcher games in the vein of Hearts of Stone. That expansion really benefited from a smaller scope and tighter focus and it would be a great way to have more Geralt without disrupting the story of the main games.

15. fearandloathing says:

I have an oath that if cdpr ever tries to continue geralt&ciri’s storyline I’d burn their offices like f-ing pyres of novigrad. It was the perfect finale both for games and the series (books) in general, and they should just leave the witchers alone now.

16. kud13 says:

I also would prefer a new IP. CDPRED got an awesome RPG-geared engine now- they should push that. Make a magic + tech steampunk game like Arcanum.

Or, you know, approach China Mieville for the New Crobuzon license.

• machineisbored says:

This. Fighting slake-moths with the handlingers, backwards-looking mirror masks and all.. The junk-yard AI and its meat-puppet.. No other games developer could do it justice.

iris79 says:

Oh no! Now I want this so bad it hurts, please let it happen. I can’t see myself liking the idea of another game more

17. Murdock says:

Whatever CD Projekt!

Just keep doing stuff, we will enjoy it anyways!

18. Gibs says:

No Witcher for a while? That’s a good thing IMHO, my body needs new ultra cool IP, fantasy or scifi, no matter.

19. Rogerio Martins says:

Good bye Geralt, you beautiful corpse face Witcher, I’ll miss you.

20. J.C. says:

I get why people keep asking CD Red for Moar, but it’s time to calm down a bit.

In the mean time, read all the Witcher books, because they are that good and play all 3 games and put it down.

And now it’s time to wait for Cyberpunk 2077. CD Red was able to make the best book to videogame Extended Universe ever, staying faithful to source material and now they will surely stay just as faithful to Cyberpunk material for something just as interesting.

21. bonuswavepilot says:

This was the first time I have ever encountered the phrase ‘chinny reckon’. Once again RPS has broadened my horizons!

22. KinkyJohn says:

Thought this was a bit too harsh to really deserve a chinny reckon as lots of successful artists realise a theme is getting overdone past it’s high point, and don’t actually flog it to death till they spend all their money.

But that was until I discovered they were a listed company. As I’ve never heard of anybody with an MBA that wouldn’t immediately fire everybody who complained about work conditions and slipping standards after a successful release and then flog the dead horse until it had been sold for glue I think it’s fully worth the double chin stroking jimmy hill tutankhamun reeeeckkkkkoon I usually keep reserved for official company accounts during zero interest rate policy.