Have Faith: Mirror’s Edge Optioned For TV

I’m not clear to what extent ‘optioned’ means ‘actually making’ vs ‘we gave the folk who own the thing some cash to stop them from selling the rights to someone else’, particularly in an age where every TV firm wants its own Game Of Thrones or Walking Dead and so speculatively hoovers up rights to anything with name-recognition (I’m open to offers for Ian Football, by the by). In any case, EA’s Mirror’s Edge has been optioned by Endemol, and I can understand why.

It’s not the strikingly stark city design or parkour action, but rather it’s the dystopic, conspiracy-laden setting and its skilled but grudging rebel protagonist, Faith (who is also very much cosplay friendly). I.e. the Mirror’s Edge plot, which I don’t think is what most of us loved foremost about Mirror’s Edge, but would very much fit the people scowling at each other and yelling stuff like “you have no idea what’s really on going!” structure that informs many of today’s made-for-boxset TV.

“We clearly see Mirror’s Edge as a franchise for the global TV audience,” said Sharon Hall, President of Endemol Shine Studios, as reported by Deadline. “It has a strong female protagonist, a wildly rabid fan base and a worldwide brand that Electronic Arts and EA DICE have done an amazing job establishing.”

Well, in that they made one game, didn’t seem to entirely appreciate its strengths then left alone it for years, yes. But a new one’s out soon and I guess something in it triggered dollar signs in TV exec’s eyes. Whether it’ll actually happen I don’t know, and whether it could possibly capture the kineticsm and stylish minimalism of the games I don’t know, but I can definitely imagine it in the TV listings.

From this site

1. njury says:

Well this was supposed to be the second comment that was not a bot. But I guess the first comment, prompting mine, is gone now?

distantlurker says:

I dunno Tom, seems expensive.

3. evil_m3nace says:

Mirrors Edge was about Parkour/freerunning it seems like EA/DICE doesnt know that. the simplistic story (I need to save my sister/rival gang) seems to have bypassed both of them, now it looks like they want to make it a character driven story? this is not going to turn out well in my opinion, but feel free to correct me when the TV show is released.

• Melody says:

To be fair, I think the Mirror’s Edge universe has potential.

I agree with you that the story itself wasn’t very good, but if you just take the basic premise of the game you can do a lot with it. A near-future city in which runners exchange information off the grid, how it got to that point – I mean, go rewatch the intro video of the first game, it’s so promising. Except most of that stuff never comes up again.

I know it’s not likely to be any good, but the basic premises of the universe are interesting, IMO.

• DanMan says:

Good luck depicting a city like that. Let alone the parkour stuff.

4. Spacewalk says:

Hooray for cross-media penetration. What the fuck were they thinking?

5. Don Reba says:

I think they bought it for the extensive world building and an inspired story.

6. rustybroomhandle says:

Anyone remember Dark Angel? That was sort-of similar in flavour, except with bicycle couriers, and produced with a 90s TV budget.

Harlander says:

I must confess that I liked Dark Angel a lot.

Topperfalkon says:

I quite enjoyed that series. Fox killed it before its time (as they do with so, so many series)

7. Merus says:

The story and world-building of Mirror’s Edge wasn’t particularly great because DICE clearly brought in Rhianna Pratchett two months out from release, shoved some assets at her and told her to stitch it together somehow, then moved levels around anyway so nothing made sense.

She wrote a comic that I understand is not bad. If Endemol quietly drop basically everything about the games and keep the premise and the look, I think they’d have something promising; the more faithful they try to stay, the worse it’ll be.

8. ru_disa says:

Scarlett Johansson and Faith. You heard it here first.

9. kud13 says:

Didn’t someone try the same sterile futuristic aesthetic in that “Ultraviolet” movie with Milla Jovovic?

I suspect this will be something similar, but without the infinite guns.

• DanMan says:

Right! Completely forgot about that one – for obvious reasons. They’d need a bug budget for that though, I suppose. I don’t see that happening for a TV series.

• Turkey says:

If it’s a tv show it’ll be more like a few expensive looking action-scenes spread out over a season and then the remaining 80% of the content will be the usual douchebag soap opera stuff.

10. SanguineAngel says:

Let it be entered onto the record that I genuinely really did love the plot of the first game.

It was pitched just right to draw me through campaign and the pacing, which was probably my foremost love, was perfect to maintain momentum.

Also the running, jumping and environmental puzzles were pretty good

11. SaintAn says:

How about bringing back Dark Angel instead. Pretty much the same thing but better.

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Endemol. This should be good. Or, rather, bad.

13. MetaSynapse says:

“We clearly see Mirror’s Edge as a franchise for the global TV audience,” […] “It has a protagonist, a fan base and a brand that Electronic Arts and EA DICE have done a job establishing.”

14. hpoonis says:

It fits the current Zeitgeist for television/movies: young female, “streetwise” essential, probably an excellent hacker also, able to beat the crap out of (almost) anyone yet capable of bursting into tears at the first sign of a failed relationship. Will have some/a lot of tattoos. Friends will include (at least one) socially awkward twat who is also a genius at something or other.

Evil villain(s) will likely be older and (probably) male.

Bear in mind also…if the main character is wearing white pants then she will be incapable of menstruating….either that or she will have a free and unlimited supply of white pants.

15. Jayblanc says:

Optioned means pretty much exactly “we gave the folk who own the thing some cash to stop them from selling the rights to someone else”. Most things that are Optioned, never even make it into pre-production.