There Are Definitely No Alien Organisms In SurvHive

I can’t wait to tell you, fellow human person, about this game which I have learned about. It is an asymmetrical science fiction multiplayer murder mystery with absolutely no aliens in it at all. You might think from these screenshots and this trailer, starring Terrible Voice Man, that it is an FPS inspired by The Thing and Alien and that there are clearly monstrous fleshy alien lifeforms in it. But you are wrong. There are certainly no aliens here and I am certainly not one of them. What a pity. How about some regular human long-jump instead? That is a popular game in our society.

Okay, let’s get some small reservations out of the way first. SurvHive [official site] has only just been announced but damn that is a terrible name. And oh man, that voice, that trailer. Oh man. All right, that’s done with. Now, let me read out a sentence from its gore-soaked press release:

“SurvHive is an asymmetric multiplayer sci-fi horror FPS that includes RPG elements that might make you think about SpaceStation 13.”

That is a lot of good things for a game to want to be. It falls squarely into my sphere of interests. You’ll be one of 16 players aboard a space ship, complete with nuclear reactor, laboratory, cargo hold, bridge, and all the rest. But someone in the crew is an alien. They look exactly the same as everyone else, except they have a message on-screen telling them the truth: you are the alien, go forth and infect. Their bullets are blanks, they can infect others with a horrible chest spike and they can mutate into their true form at any time, in a HUGE explosion of blood. Wonderful.

Meanwhile humans will have to maintain a healthy level of sanity, defend key areas, extinguish fires, fix broken reactors, hack systems, deploy sentry guns and engineer items to help each other out. There are different classes of human – Scientist, Engineer, Soldier and Cultist – each with skills that will level up as the game goes on. Players will also get secret objectives, say developers Rocking Hamster, that they will be encouraged to carry out, pitting them against one another in unknown ways and theoretically ramping up the paranoia.

But eventually, the humans might want to escape in the ship’s only remaining shuttle. It’s up to the infected ghouls of blood and flesh to spread their disease and kill all the humans before they get away, using their own upgraded abilities – super vision, climbing on the ceiling, and screaming.

It sure sounds the part, doesn’t it? For anyone who enjoys card games like The Resistance or Werewolf, the idea is immediately recognisable and appealing. Asymmetrical multiplayer is a very hard thing to do right but anything that cites Space Station 13 as an influence gets a “good luck” from me.

SurvHive will be lurking around in the vents of Early Access from August 1st.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. shinkshank says:

Look, if I can’t play as a clown skirting on getting murdered by security officers, a botanist growing weed to sell to jackass engineers in exchange for a plasma cutter, or a janitor fuckin’ with people who blindly run down hallways and ignoring “wet floor” signs, then your game can’t make much claim to evoking SS13.

Seriously though, this looks like it might be alright, but I’d sooner compare it to something like Trouble in Terrorist Town or certain Warcraft/Starcraft maps the names of which I can’t remember. Objective-based stuff with a traitor in the midst is one thing, but I don’t see any light RP elements going on (and no, RPG-like ability progression is not the same as roleplaying). I guess I’ll have to keep an eye on this to see where it goes.

2. vorador says:

Interesting concept, but as said on the preview, asymmetric multiplayer is really hard to do well. Just look at Evolve, a huge budget and a experienced team didn’t save it. Well, and being sold full price for half the game and the other half on overpriced DLC didn’t helped.

So good luck to them.

• Symarian says:

Wel, to be fair Evolve flopped because of the ridiculous amount of DLC. It’s still a pretty fun game, but they just monetized it very poorly.

3. fearandloathing says:

Wow such dullness, such lack of inspiration. That name may just be the most unimaginative thing I’ve seen (in 2016, at least.)

4. April March says:

Looks interesting – more of Natural Selection by way of SS13 rahter than all of the later, I’d think.

And I have to wonder why the hell the trailer shows text telling us where we are immediately before the narrator tells us where we are.

5. WJonathan says:

Good grief. 2000 called and wants its animation back.

Lars Westergren says:

> How about some regular human long-jump instead? That is a popular game in our society.

I prefer “hide the ovipositor in the chest cavity” myself.

• Unclepauly says:

Or even human “suck face”, seems to be a thing among our teenage population.

7. Zach Fett says:

I’ve been waiting for this to release on Steam since it showed up on Greenlight for what feels like forever, though really only 10 months. I’m instantly interested in any game that looks like or says it’s inspired by The THING, my second favorite movie ever. It’s such a perfect idea for a multiplayer game, but sadly we’ve only really had mods that use the idea or the one single-player game (which was a sequel to the movie).

Looking forward to this a lot! I couldn’t care less that the graphics and animations are a bit rough, as long as there’s flamethrowers and alien versions of my friends to fry, then I’m in.

8. Buzko says:

Hello Brendan! Please join me in nominating Ted Cruz for Human President!

Dez says:

“Hello, friends! I am a perfectly normal human worm baby.”

10. Turkey says:

What a bizarre trailer. I’ve never seen anybody use movie guy voice to explain game features in detail before.

11. shevtsov200 says:

Why is everything an experience now?

• Jay Load says:

Technically, everything you go through in life is an experience. :)

12. Behrditz says:

Centration promised a sweet space station 13 experience too, and we all know how that turned out.

13. vahnn says:

The premise sounds very cool. Everything I saw and heard in that trailer looks atrocious. Still, I’m curious to see how it plays.