When Is No Man’s Sky Coming Out?

No Man's Sky

I’m loath to write another No Man’s Sky [official site] release date story because those discussions have led to or fed into some particularly damaging and extreme responses. But I’m also part of a community which is curious to play the finished version (and part of the professional community who need to know timings for reviews) and see what the game is like. As such, the ongoing confusion about release dates is of interest. At the moment it’s revolving around the “about” page on the NMS site which now states:

“No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy, coming to PS4 on August 9th in North America and August 10th in Europe, and on PC worldwide on August 12th.”

[If you’re not interested in No Man’s Sky LOOK AWAY. Reading on will only make you cross.]

For the UK that’s actually the same release date as we’ve had pencilled into our diaries already. But for other regions that’s where the confusion (and potential irritation) arises. Y’see, it was scheduled for 9 August in North America and 10 August for mainland Europe in line with the PS4 releases.

As far as I can tell, those dates are still being listed on several of the sites offering the game for sale. For example, the Humble page I have open says “Pre-order No Man’s Sky now! Available August 9, 2016.” (The Humble site is selling a Steam key so the implication here is that they’re still going by the previous NA Steam release date).

There’s also a chance the wording might actually mean “worldwide” as in “the other regions not stated” – i.e. I’ve seen it argued that perhaps all the previously announced dates hold true but that 12 August is when everyone who isn’t in North America and Europe-besides-the-UK gets to visit space. It would be a weird turn of phrase but this whole thing is indistinct.

I’ve emailed Hello Games to see if they can offer a definitive statement about the release. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. If the game is still getting tweaks and things for the PC version perhaps they simply won’t want to commit to a statement if there’s a chance they might need to revise it yet again. If it’s about a short exclusivity window they might not want to court the outrage that might bring.

Either way, it feels like the messaging around the game’s release date has been an education in both how not to handle community communication and also an education in how not to respond to news of delays in some quarters of the fandom.

If/when we hear back we’ll update this post with the confirmed dates. Otherwise, join us in waiting for the *coughcoughcough*th of August.

From this site

1. PancakeWizard says:

r/pcgaming spotted and then figured this out fairly quickly, as far as I can see.

12th is the PC release date because it’s a Friday, and PC game sales are 99% digital now. The earlier Tuesday release is to give the console boxed copies a head start.

People are saying it’s always said the 12th on Steam.

This is about maximising sales, not about delays.

• Zaarin says:

I haven’t read r/pcgaming so I can’t comment on the reasoning there, but my Steam page (I live in and access Steam from Germany) says:

Available: 10 August

Just to add some info/confusion here. ;)

• TheMightyEthan says:

And Steam in the US is still saying August 9.

• PancakeWizard says:

I should clarify, this is a British thing.

• fish99 says:

If it was a strategy, wouldn’t they do it everywhere? Also most UK releases are simultaneous with the US and on Tuesday now.

I also doubt anyone would buy on PS4 instead of PC because of a 2 day delay.

• TheFuzz014 says:

I am lol… But i was planning on getting it on PS4 anyways for when I’m away from home. I think the best thing we can all do right now is just wait a little while for some clarification instead of speculating.

• TheFuzz014 says:

I’m getting it on both though not switching… i misread.

• Stropp says:

Just checked Steam and the sales page says the 11th for Australia.

• Perlmuxxed says:

Austrian Steam says August 9th in the search results and the store page itself says August 10th…

• rochrist says:

The US steam page has always, and continues to say Aug 9th. I’m looking at it as I write this.

2. Babymech says:

I think at this point it’s quite fair, and perhaps even more than fair, to send them death threats for not having developed time travel technology and released the game in 2011. Consumers have rights too.

3. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Remember kids: never ever ever ever pre-order a game. Let the console scum get it, review it for us, wait for the bugs to be ironed out and the servers settle down so they’re not crashing every 5 mins, THEN buy the game. If you’re still excited about it. Or, you know, wait a couple more months for the price to drop, it’s not going to disappear from Steam.

• TK-093 says:

If I wait to buy it I run the risk somebody discovers a planet before me! :)

• Cederic says:

Although this merely makes me unlikely to ever buy it.

I don’t want a game full of “Planet The Great Wayne” named after the random RPS commenter whose name I can see on my screen purely because The Great Wayne bought the game three months before me and flew that way too.

• frightlever says:

Unless you plan on playing for a REALLY long time, you’re unlikely to ever run across another planet that has been visited by someone else. Possibly if they’re actually funnelling players towards the centre of the universe, but I suspect that will be some ultimate drive discovery that gets you straight there.

If everyone on Earth bought the game, that’d be six billion people scrabbling over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. So about 160k planets each. I’d be bored after the first 100k planets.

This is resolutely and unmistakably, a singleplayer experience.

• frightlever says:

Actually I got the number wrong. It’s 18 times that many planets, so around 3 million planets for every man, woman or child on Earth.

Nauallis says:

I suspect that, given the magnitude involved, it will be a really neat experience to come across anything that another player has named.

• hpoonis says:

18 bazillion, quintillion, gajillion planets? I don’t see the replay value in that.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Like with Arkham Knight.

Harlander says:

This is fine and wise advice. I have taken the consequences of ignoring it upon myself of my own free will.

• ThePuzzler says:

If everyone waited until much later to buy games, the gaming industry would collapse.

I mean, I tend to wait until things are 75% off on Steam, but at least I appreciate the people who are less patient than me.

• cablechip says:

But if everyone waited until reviews were out to buy games, the cash grabbing vultures in the gaming industry would hopefully collapse.

• rochrist says:

Yes, because after all, the industry would work much better without money.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

True, though I think it’s the DLC buyers keeping it afloat. Cheers to those suckers too!

• KaGrief says:

The fact you used the word “scum” to describe people who play consoles is so weird/unpleasant to me. Could you explain what makes those people worthless and below you? (by it’s definition, scum implies said feelings/prejudices).

You may have meant the term as a joke but the general unpleasantness and elitism of your post really rubbed me up the wrong way.

• lordcooper says:

Mostly their usage of consoles.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Ah, yeah, so firstly yes I meant it jokingly and secondly I did pause on that word but couldn’t think of a similarly over the top phrase to use. Should have gone with my instincts and changed it.

I have, after many years of PC only gaming, gone back to console land recently and thoroughly love it. I’m actually in 2 minds about buying this on PC or PS4 cause it seems like good couch material (but also in need of good mod support, so I think PC wins). None of this is clear from my statement so fair play for calling me out on it.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Many go with “console peasants”, which is suitably silly, but I, being I gentle sort, prefer “console cousins”. However, even this neglects the fact that many of us use both.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Peasants! That’s the word I was looking for! Still a bit weird, I should just be more pleasant all round really

• KaGrief says:

Wow, a reasonable and considered reply!! Yeah, I think maybe scum was a little strong of a term and made your post seem a bit aggressive, particularly now it’s clear you meant it as a light hearted joke.

I know what you mean about NMS seeming good sofa fodder. I only own a PC and would love to just sit back and relax on a sofa while playing games. Certainly something I miss from my console days.

• TheFuzz014 says:

I’m sure it will have full controller support with an xbox controller or a dualshock assuming you install the files to make those work… and assuming you have a long enough cable or a wireless dongle you’ll be good my man.. kick back and hunt some space whales!

Nauallis says:

I for one use both – but I also have a steam link. It’s a bit wonky to set up because it just streams your PC video and sound output to your TV, which makes resolution fun. But! If you aren’t interested in either 1) moving your tower near your TV/sofa or 2) building a micro-form PC (not that these are the only options of course), the steam link is a fairly easy and lazy scratch for the couch-gaming itch.

On the other hand you still need an xbox or a playstation for games like Halo and Destiny.

• Missing Cat says:

Couch material? Are you saying you can’t game on a PC whilst sitting/laying on a couch? And the only way of doing this is to use a games console i.e. PS4? Really? Heh, it’s as if you’ve never heard of Microsoft Xbox360 PC gamepads and HDMI cables? Funny enough, I was playing Thief (4) on PC last night on the couch, taffer. The screen? 4k wall projector box + surround sound. Instead of using a slow old console, why not stay on the couch with the PC and just use a longer HDMI cable & USB hub for the gamepads?

• PancakeWizard says:

The servers don’t need to ‘settle down’. This isn’t an MMO. The server side is 99% databasing. You can play NMS offline, and you only need to connect if you want the latest updates to from the global DB.

• Jay Load says:

This is news to me. Good news. Thank you for this news. I am News-Happy, and now have more inclination to buy the game.

• PancakeWizard says:

Lots of info in the reddit link I posted further down in the comments.

• PancakeWizard says:

I should clarify: This is a single player game. It’s always been a single player game. The multiplayer/MMO stuff has kind of run away with itself as the universe is shared only for the purposes of immersion and that they are considering adding co-op further down the line (maybe). The chances of you seeing an actual player are quite rare unless you can do a lot of offline planning to make it happen (“I’m on planet x, northern pole by a big lake”, “Oh, that’s on the other side of the galaxy. I’d have to spend all my time getting to you and doing nothing else.”)

• Karakonjol says:

Scum, really? Kinda sad!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Sorry, yeah, meant in jest but as per comment above see why it’s been misconstrued. Sorry!

• Hazydave says:

It sounds like you need to adjust your meds.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I need to make it clearer when I’m joking is what I need to do. Have been fairly and consistently called out on it, one of the reasons I love RPS

• goalcam says:

I can get a discount if I preorder it, though. And if it’s broken/crap, I can get a refund from Steam.

• Shazbut says:

Has the internet always been this considerate or are we just getting older? A gentleman can’t even use the word “scum” in jest without being considered a blaggard? Pish! Flimshaw!

I mean, that’s kind of lovely really. Keep it up everyone.

• frightlever says:

The beauty of this is that you can read the reviews and still take advantage of the pre-order extras if it turns out good.

4. fish99 says:

It’s 9th in the US on PC.

5. The Great Wayne says:

Considering the lack of preview content shown, what’s more of a concern to me is when do the reviews for PC will be appearing.

Call me a cynic, but any 60 bucks game that doesn’t take measures to have copies sent to the gaming press prior to release – ensuring customers will have access to reviews at the earliest – is classified as “potential con”.

• Jeremy says:

Yeah, this is kind of where I’m at with the game. Initial impressions seemed promising, but as we’ve gone further along, the game seems like it hasn’t changed or improved much.

It’s the same with a movie. If a studio is confident in a release, you’ll see reviews before the general public has a chance to see the movie, but those day 1 review releases generally signal that the movie is a bomb.

Hopefully we’ll all be pleasantly surprised, and NMS turns out to be what everyone wanted, and pushes the genre further along. I am always in support of more good games being available.

• PancakeWizard says:

“Considering the lack of preview content shown,”

Are you a troll?

• Jeremy says:

I can’t speak for him, but I haven’t seen much variety of content. Most previews have been about exploring a planet, collecting minerals, and cataloging new creatures. Actual preview content outside of that has been minimal, with just a few quick snapshots of space battles, trade, etc. Nothing that I would consider conclusive. Until those other systems are given full visibility, it still strikes me as a lack of preview content.

Any game that has 4 or 5 different systems in it, but continues to show the same 2 is always going to throw up a red flag for me.

• HothMonster says:

Some fan explaining things based on his interpretation of interviews and trailers isn’t showing us the systems. Or are their videos buried in there that I missed?

• PancakeWizard says:

@HothMonster

You know what? Just don’t buy it. It makes no difference to me if you play it or not.

Someone commenting on an earlier NMS article put it perfectly. It’s like hearing the “But why male models?” quote from Zoolander when we see the “but what do you actually do?” comments. I don’t know why gamers – who I assume know their hobby pretty well at this point – have such a blind spot when it comes to this game as if this is the first game they’ve ever seen.

• The Great Wayne says:

Well, this escalated quickly.

• Jeremy says:

I’m not sure why it’s so unreasonable to ask valid questions about a game. We’re all here as enthusiasts, asking critical questions and engaging in (I thought) conversation about an upcoming game. Even a cursory glance through the Reddit topic comes off as more than a little light. When talking about combat, the response is, and I paraphrase for space; “There are weapons which you can upgrade, and you choose which type of weapon. Either lasers to damage shields, or heavy weapons to damage armor.” Obviously, any time you talk about a game, it can come off as intentionally reductionist, but that’s not what I’m attempting here. However, the lack of visibility from the developer is the concern. Talking about combat needing weapons, and there being shields and armor doesn’t do enough in my mind to warrant a valid opinion of the combat system. Maybe the devs have a plan to release a video showing combat and trade in more depth, and that’s great. Until then, I will still have reservations about the game, which is a normal thing to have.

Nauallis says:

About the politest response that I can make is to riposte your question – if you are legitimately interested in actually learning as much about the game as you can before you make “an informed choice” about the game, why aren’t you seeking out more information yourself? Your comments are coming across as “I don’t have anything better to say that to tear this game down.” That’s how they read. The constant nay-saying about this game in the comments on RPS articles is getting really freaking old. A lot of us are excited and hyped, yes. I am sorry to hear that you are not. But I don’t really give two shits if you buy the game or not.

• PancakeWizard says:

@Jeremy but you seem to be asking for the minutiae on a game before it’s even out, and is a game specifically marketed on exploration and discovery. I mean, it’s like you want a fan wiki for it that’ll be no doubt be available within days.

Of course you should be cautious with your money and wait for a review – I’m not advocating pre-orders. However, does it really warrant the endless skepticism and, frankly, conspiracy, this game gets? I don’t think there’s anything ‘reasonable’ about that. You have to at least be aware there’s rather unwarranted level of doom and gloom around this game. Compare it to Star Citizen, which is crowd-funded, barely out of a concept stage yet people can’t sing its praises enough. This game is developed in the traditional manner and imminent yet it’s still getting the “IT’S ALL A SCAM!!11” comments. Or what about the “oh you’d get bored after the 100th planet” comments? Never mind the fact the devs have said people will happily spend weeks on a single planet if they choose. Never mind that they’ve only been showing the Earth-like biomes because (heaven forbid) they save a surprise or two. Never mind that they’ve been pretty up front about the limitations (no cities).

From day one this has been billed as something like Starbound in 3D with space/atmos flight and yet people have a hard time believing it or wrapping their head around why that would be a fun game and if several hundred hours of entertainment is worth £40 or not.

I could understand if the devs had been shifty, or some promise was broken, but there’s no reason not to give them the benefit of the doubt, so why not just wait for a review, or get excited by what we have seen? Isn’t that enough? The trailers alone make it worth a punt, surely? What game is doing that better, right now?

• The Great Wayne says:

Tearing down the game ? Get off your high horse, nobody’s bashing NMS here. If we weren’t interested by the game, we wouldn’t be talking about it.

You might want to consider that maybe, just maybe, you’re being too emotional about this game lads. These days, nobody can have a normal discussion about NMS, particularly if we’re talking about our doubts regarding the marketing campaign (as in, specifically : reassuring the players who would like a bit more pre-release gameplay videos, pretty please) without having some hysterical, over-defensive supporter of the game barging in to throw a fuss, like we were talking about his kids or whatever.

We’re not asking you to convince us to buy the game, hell I too cannot give a dime about your opinions about my playing tastes and habits. This is not the subject here, we’re just voicing some concerns and discussing them on a generalist gaming website, and I can’t even begin to understand where your intervention would legitimately fit in this context.

Beside calling me a troll and telling everybody else to f*** off, you’ve been basically contributing nothing to the discussion.

So at one point just ask yourself: “Who’s behaving like a jerk here ? The fans trying to bully people around for looking at their game the wrong way, or the sceptics voicing legitimate customer concerns and discussing them in a polite way ?”

• PancakeWizard says:

Contributing nothing? Right, because posting a link to the game’s subreddit chock-full of info is nothing. I can see why you have trouble ‘finding info’.

• HothMonster says:

Well I got someone’s fanboy underroos all twisted. I was just clarifying if there was any official info or links to sources that I was missing. Since it seemed strange to link to a long fan written hype fest when someone was asking for preview material for the many many systems that are in the game that we have yet to see in action or fleshed out descriptions.

I don’t have some weird blind spot for this game but there is a large disconnect between the huge amount of stuff they say will be in the game and the tiny amount of stuff they have shown over and over throughout the marketing campaign. That is a pretty worrying sign that all the rest of the systems may be boring or shallow.

And thanks, I’ll wait till it is out to decide if I want to play it or not like I always do. You don’t need to put your angry pants on when someone isn’t as hyped or as willing to take the devs word on undemoed features. You seem to be taking this all too personally. Oh noes people are doubtful over something that I am hyped for.

My favorite part was your laughable line that Star Citizen doesn’t have a huge cloud of negativity following it around. Both games (really all games between announce and release) have people that are excited or extremely skeptical about them, pretending that only one of those groups exist is running around with blinders on or just hyperfocusing on the people you disagree with.

• The Great Wayne says:

Are you ? Otherwise, Jeremy explained it very well in the above comment. Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

• kromeboy says:

we got 2 NGN previews with the game designer playing, an the various trailers. In my opinion for a game of this scale is not enough to preorder. Especially today when almost any game as a let’s play or is streamed on Twitch prior release.

I like the Paradox way of lunching game: when i have preordered Stellaris I have already seen all the games mechanic.

• cablechip says:

Has there been any indication that they haven’t distributed review copies? The release is over two weeks away, still plenty of time for reviews.

• The Great Wayne says:

Don’t know, that’s the question I’m asking actually :)

6. Someoldguy says:

Eh, it’s only 3 days. I’m past the age when those 259,200 seconds felt like an eternity. Surely the younger generation for whom it really matters can just spend it unprofitably by catching a few more Pokemon and building up their Vitamin D levels before huddling into their blackout cave for the rest of the summer holidays?

• Bernardo says:

I am going to spend those three days in a beautifully rendered 3d environment, using cutting edge controller technology (feet (TM)) to walk up a mountain and then sit in front of a perfectly textured hut (you can basically feel the wood), looking at some nicely designed sundowns. My multiplayer partner is as competent in the game as she is charming, and I hope the NPCs have been programmed with some great dialogue, too.

Sincerely, some other old guy.

• ooshp says:

Yeah I play that game too, but there’s this awful screen tearing whenever I get drunk, and each time I try to reroll my shitty character I end up in hospital with the same shitty skills.

Also I think they forgot to write a heap of dialogue for the female NPCs, most of them just walk off without saying anything.

• Tourist says:

You forgot to tell the kids to “get off your lawn.” ;)

7. OmNomNom says:

I’ve pre-ordered but there’s always VPN or ISO demo

8. Llewyn says:

O an mit omterested om Mi Nam’s Sly si O liiked away but miw O cam’t see ny keybiard ti type. THAMKS A LIT, POP!

Nauallis says:

Dadgummit y’all young’ns ‘n yer blasted intertube sayin’ thinggums!

• LennyLeonardo says:

I propose that from now on all of Pip’s posts are greeted with the comment, “THAMKS A LIT, POP!”

• Llewyn says:

O shall di ny best ti ibloge.

(Cam I liik at the keybiard agaom yet?)

9. fray_bentos says:

Who cares about three days difference in a release date? These days I often don’t play games until years after they are released and rarely within even a few months.

10. MOKKA says:

Either way, I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Hooray for poverty!

• The Great Wayne says:

Poverty : the future of reasoned consumerism.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

That lack of consumption just moved a developer closer to poverty. And in turn, that developer will now consume less – Which means a third Consumer Unit will also be poorer, and a fourth and so on until The Economy is in ruins again.

Shame on Poor People! Consume.

11. melnificent says:

It’s always been the 12th on steam for the UK. Was discussing this delay over a month ago on reddit link to m.reddit.com

• fish99 says:

Blame Destructoid. They did a story 2 months ago when the game was delayed from June to August, saying the UK release was pushed up from the 12th to the 9th.

12. Raoul Duke says:

Has there ever been a game for which so many potential buyers will be waiting for reviews?

I can’t imagine many of the RPS crowd will be diving in without waiting for some sensible reviews to come out.

• anHorse says:

I’m actually kinda glad it comes out later on pc, get a nice little wait to read reviews and see if it’s at a reasonable price anywhere.