Have You Played Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun?

Oddly, Tiberian Sun was the first C&C I ever played. I spent at least a year of my life obsessed with Dune 2, but Command and Conquer itself and Red Alert arrived during my dark ages – the period where I didn’t have a PC capable of running contemporary games. By 1999, I was back in the game, having built a new system to find out about this Half-Life thing everyone was talking about. When I clapped eyes on screenshots of Tiberian Sun, I was in love – how far it seemed to have come since Dune 2.

I was dimly aware of grumbling that it was not true 3D, that some felt the cutscenes weren’t as thrillingly silly as before, but I didn’t care. I hadn’t experienced the interim period between Dune 2 and Tiberian Sun, so the jump seemed enormous. I was in love. So much detail, so many units, so much unbound sci-fi, so much destruction, a true future-war: this was my dream game. First-person shooters fell by the wayside, and for years to come I consumed every RTS I could get my hands on.

It was C&C I craved more of, though. I was disappointed when the immediate follow-up was Red Alert 2, finding the campy alt-history less appealing than the (very) vaguely Warhammer 40kish sci-fi of Tiberian Sun. I was aghast when the next game was the pseudo-real-world C&C Generals, with its plainer military units and its uncomfortably contemporary war-fiction.

C&C 3 was fine but too interested in aliens, C&C 4 was a bizarre misfire, Tiberium Alliances was an insult. And then the end, or it so seems. Promise unfulfilled still. I still await a true sequel to Tiberian Sun, a game that a foolish, nostalgic sector of my brain still believes was some zenith of single player real-time strategy. It will never come. Sorrow, sorrow.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

Far far too much.

phuzz says:

I think I played a little of Tiberian Sun, but I played hours and hours of Red Alert 2.
    Unfortunately I can’t get it working on modern Windows (maybe I should try Dosbox or an emulator or something)

• TrynePlague says:

It works really fine on Win7 for me. I did purchase that 8£ amazon uk C&C bundle with all 17 games inside recently though. It’s just a box with 17 origin keys but they all seem to be working well. BTW, most of these titles can’t be purchased directly through Origin. Weird thing..

3. icemann says:

C&C 4 is an abomination, and as such does not exist.

3 was quite good, though not as good as 2. For me Red Alert 2 (and in particular the expansion Yuri’s Revenge) is when the C&C series as a whole hit it’s highest point.

Red Alert 3 was half half. I hated the insistence on having an AI co-op with you throughout many of the levels.

• Paradukes says:

It was made so much worse by the fact that they give the AI the super unit ever other level. I still haven’t played the campaign out of sheer irritation.

4. Smurph says:

I remember the week I got this game I had a friend come over after school. He did not want to play video games and wanted to go outside, ride bikes, and do ‘regular kid’ stuff. That wasn’t happening. I made him sit and watch me play the whole afternoon.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

Yep, TibSun was my first C&C too. There’s something just po-faced *enough* about TibSun for it to kind of work even though it is pretty ridiculous. I’ve always loved the unit and structure designs most of all though, at least for the GDI — the Wolverine, the Titan… the Mammoth MkII… Mmmmm.

6. DeanLearner says:

Was Tiberian Sun meant to come out before Red Alert originally? I remember a trailer being bundled with the original C&C (which showed a mech… meching…).

• popej says:

Gosh yes, the things one forgets!

• LionsPhil says:

Yep. I never quite forgave Red Alert for sidetracking them, until RA2 came around and managed to sway me by being excellent. (RA1’s still good, but it was always in C&C1’s—and the imagined C&C2’s—shadow. Even if the actual C&C2 we got was a bit arse.)

7. Xocrates says:

I’ve tried to, but always bounced off it. I recall the movement feeling quite sluggish?

Though to be fair, to some extent I’ve bounced off pretty much every C&C game I’ve played with the exception of the first Red Alert, though this one still remains as the one I never managed to get into, even temporarily. Not even sure why.

8. Napalm Sushi says:

I wonder if some of Tiberian Sun’s mixed reception was due to its unremitting bleakness. While earlier games in the series had at least a whiff of classical heroism to them, Tiberian Sun pulled no punches in its depiction of a dying world where everyone was fucked.

9. Hensler says:

When I was but a lad, I developed a serious Starcraft addiction and read all about this game in CV&G magazine, but couldn’t afford to buy it at EB Games. So I bought a $5 copy off of Ebay to get my new fix. It was clearly a home burned warez copy, but I naively installed it anyways. The resulting viruses bricked my dad’s work computer. I’ve still never played it to this day.

10. Neutrino says:

Tiberium Wars was a worthy successor imo.

11. Zankman says:

>not realizing that RA2 is the best

>not liking Generals

• Siimon says:

Obviously RA2 is the best, but Generals? That dump of a game can be forgotten about as far as I’m concerned.

• Alfius says:

You mean the C&C Generals that was the pinnacle of the genre in every respect, a position further cemented by the superb Zero Hour expansion? Surely we cannot be talking about the same game.

• LionsPhil says:

This. Zero Hour was prrrobably Westwood’s best RTS, although RA2 is in close runnings (…and honestly isn’t that different in play, which makes this a bizzare thing to get polarized about).

(The other one in close runnings IMO is the original C&C in singleplayer, which is quite different: it’s a much, much slower game, and the glacial trickle of resources demands you’re careful and tactical with units rather than making balls of tanks, but also gives you the time to meticulously disassemble a base rather than being an APM clickfest.)

Oakreef says:

Zero Hour is a really really fun LAN game, but I was crushingly disappointed by Generals as a C&C fan when it first came out because it simply didn’t feel much like a C&C game.

• Alfius says:

Exactly! Countless hours went on Zero Hour at LANs at my mates’ parents’ houses around the 2004-6 time period, probably only replaced as the go-to RTS after Supreme Commander came out.

kabic says:

i want Tiberian Sun on Steam! NOW!

• hannibal127 says:

Not going to happen since EA owns them all. They are all on Origin, at least.

• DavishBliff says:

There are C&C3 mods which recreate Tiberian Sun in that engine.

• tomsliwowski says:

AFAIK the redux mod isn’t done. Is there one that is actually finished?

Personally, while C&C 2 was fun I find C&C 3 a better game (RA2/Yuri’s Revenge is still probably the best C&C game)

• LionsPhil says:

Fuck Steam. EA, in one of their brief moments of not being horrible, put out C&C1 and 2 for free some years back, as part of its anniversary celebrations. IIRC it’s ISOs for the first, standalone, DRM-free installs for the latter, with the Firestorm expansion and everything.

You may have to search a bit to find them, since they no longer host them themselves, but they were legitimately free, and free of account-based DRM services. (I don’t think Origin was even a thing at the time.)

• ansionnach says:

Yeah – C&C, Tiberian Sun and the first Red Alert are free as you say. I got them this way but haven’t gotten to Tiberian Sun yet. I really enjoyed the first C&C when I played it last year, although it’s very easy to win by sandbagging whole maps as this confuses the AI, which will never destroy them. Sandbags and turrets (watch towers?) are a deadly combination. Was blown away the first time I tried this in Red Alert and the tank just rolled over my sandbag wall.

13. Shadow says:

“I was dimly aware of grumbling that it was not true 3D”

The nascent 3D of the turn of the century was light-years behind the detailed 2D graphics games like Age of Empires II and Commandos regaled us with.

I’m proud of those devs who had the wisdom to stick with well-crafted 2D instead of falling for the trend to adopt 3D at all costs, regardless of how immature the tech was at the time. And ultimately, all those 2D games aged much better.

• Gammro says:

In the end someone has to pioneer the tech. So those early 3d games might not have been classics, but are certainly needed in the grand scheme to get to the point we’re at now.

• Shadow says:

Well, you’ve got a point there.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yep. It doesn’t matter when 3D happened, it was always going to be awful at first. What mattered was sticking with it so it could live up to its potential.

Having said that, I still maintain that 3D in no way obsoleted 2D, in the same way that real-time never obsoleted turn-based gameplay. I still remember an unfortunate period in my gaming life where it very much seemed both of those things were going to happen.

• LionsPhil says:

Total Annihilation had been released almost two years prior, although admittedly it was massively ahead of its time in that regard, and it had static, pre-rendered 2D terrain (even if it had height information behind it for physics), whereas C&C2 had a dynamically deformable heightmap (rendered as 2D tiles). Something they really backed down on in RA2, sadly, along with the destructable cliff sections to make maps a bit more interesting for side ambushes.

14. Doubler says:

Did you ever go back and play the original C&C?
    It doesn’t really stand out on gameplay alone anymore, but it might be worth playing for the atmosphere and story.

Thulsa Hex says:

Music, too.

“I’m a mechanical, I’m a mechanical, I’m a mechanical man…”

• Doubler says:

No Mercy is forever etched into my ‘let’s get shit done’ playlist :P

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I had forgotten that I had played this game until you posted those lyrics. XD

• Unruly says:

Frank Klepacki’s website has a player on it where you can listen to all the music he’s done for everything, separated by game. Every so often while I’m at work and hammering away on paperwork I’ll fire it up and burn through most of the C&C1 soundtrack.

• Unruly says:

Also, Target(Mechanical Man) was my favorite song from C&C1. I’d always bring up the in-game player and switch to it as the first song I listened to on every level.

I actually credit the C&C soundtrack for introducing me to industrial music and sowing the seeds of my future love of the genre. For reference, I was like 7 when I played it, so I had yet to be really introduced to the likes of NIN, Ministry, and Front Line Assembly, who later cemented the genre for me.

• unacom says:

I still have that on my playlist.

• LionsPhil says:

1 beats 2 on most axes, for me. The cutscenes are stronger for not having famous actors chew their way through every hammy line. The story leads to some great limited-resource missions on the GDI side, and a great climax for the NOD one. And the singleplayer gameplay, as I said above, is much more careful from the slower economy.

Also, 2 in skirmish/multiplayer was ruined by hunter-seeker drones. The AI’s go straight for your ConYard or harvester. Yours pick off one guy standing on his own in a field somewhere. D:<

• LionsPhil says:

(What’s really annoying about HSDs is that they introduced them to avoid late-game lingering defeats of hunting down the last unit of your foe lurking in a corner somewhere. They put in a random-targetting mini-superweapon for want of a defeat-on-no-buildings-or-MCVs mode. Westwood didn’t always make good decisions…)

(…also, the always-overlooked Dark Reign put a “hunt and destroy” unit AI mode a couple of years previous, that’d make your forces automatically scour the map and kill the stragglers for you, if you must taste every drop of their blood. Lost to history, that one.)

• Kaeoschassis says:

Man, was Dark Reign as good as I remember it being?

I think I still have the disc somewhere, I might need to find out…

15. Stense says:

I remember the wait and the constant delays to the game. Then Dark Reign came along first doing all the 3D deformable terrain stuff that was a big selling point in the pre-release PR assault for Tiberian Sun, kind of stealing the thunder a bit. Then Total Annihilation came out and everyone forgot about Dark Reign. Then eventually Tiberian Sun came out and many people seemed disappointed by it’s voxelly clunkiness and limited environmental interactivity. I loved it. It was exactly the sequel to C&C I wanted and I played it to death.

In general my favourite C&C game was Red Alert 2, it just went full silly and ditched the voxels in favour of traditional 2D spirtes (which made everything so much more fluid) but Tib Sun holds a special place in my heart as one of the first games I actively followed all the way through development and eagerly anticipated. Previously I’d just played what was already out and I could get my hands on, but Tib Sun is where I started to look to the future for my games.

• LionsPhil says:

Poor Dark Reign.

RA2 used the same engine as C&C2, and its units (except infantry) are voxel-based. Their artists just had more experience with it. (Also think of how many angles you can see some units at—tanks with a terror drone in; V2 launchers taking aim, etc.)

• Stense says:

Ahh, not sure where I got the switch from voxels to sprites from! Must have misread something way back then.

16. mvar says:

Could someone remind me which game started with one of the first missions being, the soviets (or NOD?) invading the US ? I haven’t bothered much with C&C aside from RA2, but i remember i had played one of the later games at some point. I recall it had naval missions but i see here that C&C3 did not have any navy units at all. But on the other hand i remember seeing M.Ironside in the cutscenes who’s on C&C3 cast.

Thulsa Hex says:

The first Soviet mission in RA2 has you invade the US and destroy the Pentagon.

• mvar says:

Aaaah ok i confused RA2 with C&C2:RedAlert! It was the first RedAlert that i played like a madman back in the days and then briefly RA2 at some point. You’re correct that was the mission! It also had navy battles which was a great addition. Can’t remember why I hadn’t finished RA2, time to check it again.

Thulsa Hex says:

The first RA had naval units, too (including submarines), but RA2 definitely pushed the boat out (heehee) with that side of things. I loved destroying things from afar with the Soviet Dreadnought’s massive missiles!

• LionsPhil says:

One of the things C&C2 got criticized for was that it has no naval units at all, just amphibious and hover ones. (To be fair, it did have a tunnelling mechanic with detection and counters that’s been lost since, almost acting like another domain, like air.) Even C&C1 had GDI destroyers that would patrol back and forth along the map on rails, shooting at targets in range (and scripted hovercraft reinforcements). RA was much bigger on ships, and RA2 brought that back to the C&C2 engine.

Thulsa Hex says:

I loved this game to bits. I was 13 when it came out and was anticipating its release for quite a while. Thankfully, I avoided all negativity surrounding it’s perceived ugliness — at least until well after I’d devoured the campaigns. I loved the units, the base-building, and the story. I seriously don’t even remember if it was played straight or not, but I was young enough to be blind to any shonky-ness in the writing or delivery. Plus, James Earl Jones! Michael Biehn! The dude who played KANE! (He also directed all the live-action stuff in most C&C games, if I recall.)

C&C was a beloved series for me, ever since my new next-door neighbours let me borrow the first Red Alert, and then the original game. RA was cool, but the GDI vs. Nod setting was always my favourite. Gameplay-wise, RA2 was probably the most fun of the classic 2D entries, if I’m being honest, but the increasingly-satirical approach of RA didn’t appeal to me as much. Man, I even stayed up all-night, downloading the Renegade demo on sub-56k internet.

The order of things meant that C&C3 (rumored to be Tiberian Twilight?) was supposed to follow RA2, but EA swallowed Westwood, 9/11 happened, and Generals was born — obviously and luridly attempting to cash-in on the awful political climate and gross militaristic patriotism that was emboldened at the time. I was livid at the reveal, but I still bought it. Actually, much of my first year of university was spent playing LAN games with new college friends in internet cafes, instead of going to lectures. I did enjoy that, to be honest, but reluctantly :)

Since my own PC Dark Ages happened during my college years, I’ve not played anything past Zero Hour (except maybe a demo of C&C3 or RA3 on Xbox, but that felt almost blasphemous). Is C&C3 worth playing? I know very little about it, except that maybe Kane’s Wrath was good?

Anywho… RIP Westwood. Another example of EA chewing devs up and spitting out the corpse once the bones were dry.

18. DavishBliff says:

I think TS was the first RTS I ever saw and played? I remember being absolutely blown away by how bleak and violent it was as a young kid. I had no idea what I was doing from a strategic or gameplay point of view but man did I love the design of it all. I remember how overpowered the artillery was pre-patch and how disappointed I was to see it nerfed. Rolling into an opponent’s base with a subterranean NPC full of engineers and selling all your opponent’s structures always filled me with immense satisfaction even though it wasn’t really a viable strategy against anything but the easiest AI for me.

19. JimRPh says:

I guess I’m an old fart, but my favorites are still Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge, Warcraft II BattleNet Edition and Starcraft plus Brood War. Somehow, I didn’t enjoy the others nearly as much.

20. SwiftRanger says:

When Tiberian Sun came out in ’99 it already felt dated in terms of AI, interface and unit control. Total Annihilation (TA) and Dark Reign (DR) absolutely nailed those features two years earlier. Purely looking at story/campaign StarCraft (SC) had a much more gripping/epic offering. As for graphics TA felt more like true 3D (despite its tricks and fixed viewpoint) but I was disturbed a lot more by the fact that what you actually saw on-screen in Command & Conquer 2 was far removed from the official screenshots (even of those on the back of the box).:(

All that being said, I still love Tiberian Sun. It is drenched in some sort of alternative doomed-eighties vibe, from the music (Klepacki’s best work imo) to the awkward visuals and the game world itself. Let’s just say it has a soul that feels rather unique whereas the StarCraft design feels rather derivative and TA/Dark Reign just lack soul in general.

I have to admit that no Westwood/EALA RTS after Tiberian Sun could interest me as much (RA2/C&C3 weren’t bad, sure). Seeing where the franchise is now (dead, shamed, totally buried by a big publisher that doesn’t know how to make strategy games anymore) is quite depressing.

Where the hell are those old school RTS-kickstarters? What has happened for partybased RPG’s should happen for real-time strategy as well!

• onodera says:

Klepacki didn’t write the soundtrack of TibSun.

• Unruly says:

His own website says otherwise. You can listen to all his works there.

• SwiftRanger says:

He didn’t write it all alone, that’s true:

“I didn’t want to stray too far from the original C&C soundtrack, but it had to be more futuristic and ambient. From there I tried to capture the mood the designers wanted for each mission. I even brought in another composer for some of the in game scores, Jarrid Mendelson, who I knew would compliment my style for this genre of music.

— Frank Klepacki, Senior Composer”

21. thekelvingreen says:

Gosh, I have played this, and on a PC too! That’s not happened before; normally I’ve played the Amiga version of whatever the game of the day is and end up feeling a bit of a fraud.

Anyway, yes, I have played Tiberian Sun. I like it because it has stompy mechs and exploding mutants.

22. GrimMeteor says:

I’ll always think of this game fondly because I spent countless hours merely base-building. I loved the way the perspective looked, how I could set up buildings all around and create situations on the field, like making some abandoned base and breaking it down. Hell, I’d even shut the power off just for the immersion (but it’d drain my power anyways so that was an important thing to do). There hasn’t been any game to scratch the base building itch Tiberian Sun left, but when I think about it, I think my enjoyment of base building branched between a love of RTS games and building simulator games, though I didn’t realize this at the time.

Good stuff.

23. Sin Vega says:

I did like Tiberian Sun, but it was kinda ruined by the superweapons and made even worse by the lack of concrete early on. Every skirmish would descend into a race to superweapons, which would invariably render half your base too cratery to build on, forcing you to spread awkwardly across the map, and leaving too many openings for tedious engineer rushes.

I kinda liked its art style/setting, though. Had more colour and flavour than your average RTS.

24. Tourist says:

I remember being slightly disappointed by it, but I think it was largely because my anticipation was so high, rather than anything wrong with the game.

C&C 1 was my “OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME, I MUST HAVE A SEQUAL NOW!” game. I played it repeatedly. It remains one of the very few PC games I’ve actually played multiplayer against my friends. My angst at Tiberian Sun not being out right now was palpable. I scoured PC gaming magazines (physical ones, pre-reliable internet for me) for any and all news.

It was never going to be up to live up to the my expectation for the game, and of course when it was released I was older, life had changed. I enjoyed it though.

25. Unruly says:

My first C&C was the original, and I loved it to pieces. My cousin and I would play over dial-up back in the day. And the best part of it was that we did it with only one copy of the game! Those split GDI/NOD discs were a godsend to us.

I didn’t get a chance to play Tiberian Sun until years after its release. My only experience with it back when it was released was a demo that came with Computer Gaming World, which I played as much of as I could. I may have also had a pirated copy at one point, which didn’t work very well. My pirated Red Alert 2 worked wonderfully though, for a time.

Eventually I bought the C&C First Decade pack, which had everything up to Generals: Zero Hour, because of my fond memories of the original and Red Alert 2, and wanting to finally pay for all the hours of RA2 that I played. I still need to go back and play Tiberian Sun…

26. StAUG says:

“C&C 4 was a bizarre misfire”

That’s being generous.

27. Kaeoschassis says:

C&C2 is the Tiberium game I’ve played least, I think. Still a good rts, but for me it didn’t quite live up to the original, and if I want a more modern C&C these days I can play the third one. There are only three, of course.

Say, RPS, a quick half-assed search tells me you’ve never written about Metal Fatigue. While we’re on RTSs, I thought I’d calmly and politely ask WHY THE HELL NOT? Definitely deserves a “have you played?” if nothing else. There was a game that should have redefined its entire genre, and yet instead has been so lost to history that even in this post-GOG age it’s almost impossible to find. Three seperate, inter-connected map layers with different rules of engagement, TA style resource gathering with various rules for different kinds of gatherers, superweapons that had countermeasures, potentially leading to little mini arms races, extremely well done automation for repairs, construction, gathering, patrols. Customisable giant robots. GIANT ROBOTS. The story was pretty fun in places, too. Playing it, it felt like the logical successor to TA, although I’ll admit that I haven’t played it in years now because it disappeared off the face of the planet. A crying shame.

• Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood says:

That game kicks ass, if it ever gets on GOG/Steam it’s an instabuy.
      Giant robots with jetpacks, cloaking fields, giant hammers axes katana’s buzzsaws and LIGHTSABERS ?
      Rockets energyguns rayshields missiles rockets sniperlasers cruisemissiles gattling guns…

My god the weaponry, you just wanted to play with it.

My fav combot ? Neuropa speed legs, selfrepair torso, buzzsaw arm, homing missile arm.
      Durable, gets in melee range fast, anti-air capable, it does everything but get into orbit ;)

• Unruly says:

I was all about those missiles. My mantra was “NEEDS MOAR DAKKA!” So missiles and gatling guns and all the shoot bits were my bread and butter. Of course, when I first started playing I was all about the katanas, too. If I could have given my mechs katana legs and had them hop around the battlefield like an amputee with those spring things, I totally would have.

• Unruly says:

I would love to see this pop up on GOG. But I feel that it may never happen. I remember playing the hell out of the demo, and then trying to find it in stores once I had the cash but never being able to. Of course, I didn’t have a credit card or a way to ordr it online then either. I later “acquired” a copy, but to get it running on a modern system was excrutiating, and required extra things to be installed in order to trick the game into thinking you had old bits of software that are long-since obsolete. I want to say it was a fellow RPSer on the forums who helped me get it running.

Aside from the giant robots being generally awesome, I loved that it had persistent pilots. If your pilots were able to get away from the fighting when their mech went down, they could capture unoccupied mech or be sent back to base to be put into a new one. And then they leveled up, so they got stat boosts, and their levels carried over between missions. Everything about that game was awesome and worked so well together, with the exception of the underground being nearly impenetrable if someone was able to stockpile troops and get a base down there. I think it was just too ambitious for its time, and that’s why it was a commercial failure.

28. newguy2012 says:

Loved this game. The world, the music, units and the briefing videos. True the gameplay itself may be eclipsed by other games but that universe one of the best I have ever seen.

I rage when I think of what EA did to the series though.

29. FullMetalMonkey says:

Tiberian Sun is easily my favourite out of all of the Command and Conquer games.

30. tcmJOE says:

I played many many hours, though part of that was that the game always took forever for anything to happen. I’d do an anti-comp skirmish with my best friend (calling each other on the telephone) and a game would easily last 2-3 hours. (Not that we were particularly good, but still…)

Then Red Alert 2 came out and you could do a session in 15-30 minutes.

C&C2 was good fun, but I can’t go back. I’ve got things to do with my life, and the pacing is much too slow. RA2 nailed the speed.

Never got into C&C3 (I remember having a devil of a time trying to discern different infantry units in the demo), and the campaign for RA3 just gave me too much squick with how the women characters were treated in the campaign. (RA2’s level of cheesecake was a little silly but not overwhelming). For me, generals was meh.

31. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Only played it relatively recently.
    Back in the day it passed me by for some reason, and I / everyone I knew were slightly put off by all the balls-out kooky sci-fi after the relatively reserved “day after tomorrow” fiction of C&C/RA. Just too wacky. My guess is, everyone likes to pretend to be a real-life badass commander, and it gets a little tough when you command sentient squids around. That’s why everyone jumped back on board with Generals.

Playing TibSun and its DLC for the first time many years after the fact, my favorite part was how hilariously dark the universe got. It’s not often that a strategy game makes you depressed.

32. Rane2k says:

Its always funny and confusing to read about “C&C 2” and “C&C 3”.

In Germany, Red Alert was actually “Command & Conquer 2: Alarmstufe Rot”, and Tiberian Sun was marketed as “Command & Conquer 3”.

Anyway, it was a great game, I fondly remember the campaign, especially the mission where the GDI command ship was crashed/shot down(?) and you had to defend it.