Okhlos Releases Angry Mob On August 18

Okhlos

I’m going to admit something to you. It’s that I initially skipped over the press emails for Okhlos [official site] because from the name I thought it might be a new low fat yoghurt*.

BUT! It’s a videogame! About an Ancient Greek mob trying to overthrow the awful gods of yore! And which now has a release date of 18 August! And is definitely not a yoghurt!

There’s a launch date trailer but I figured it would be more helpful to go with the gameplay trailer:

Here’s the developer explanation:

Okhlos is an upcoming PC game made by the fine folks of Coffee Powered Machine. In Okhlos you lead a mob of ancient Greeks, tiny and pixeled, through mythological Greece, destroying everything that stands in their way. Crush gorgons! Topple cyclops! Overthrow gods! The mob will grow and change with every new person that you recruit, be they peasants, philosophers, or legendary heroes! They will each make your mob unique and relentless… if you can manage to control it!

I also quite like Graham’s description from a news article I managed to miss earlier this year when he compared the game to “Pikmin crossed with Rampage”.

The launch is going to be accompanied by a discount, the size of which will be decided by a public vote. When first reading about this I was not at all sure how the vote would end up as being for anything other than the maximum discount. But, reading the site, the phrasing kind of makes it more of a choice like you get in some indie marketplaces like Humble Bundle stuff where you can choose how to divide the proceeds between devs, charity and Humble themselves. So the 5% discount is kind of being pitched as for people who want to give the devs/publishers more profit, 10% is a kind of middle ground, and 15% has a cyclops telling you that developers deserve as little money as possible.

I’m actually interested to see how the vote shakes out in light of the phrasing. At the moment it’s leaning towards 10% with just under half the votes.

The prices without discount are apparently $12.99 / £9.99 / €12.99

*That’s not actually a humorous lie to start a news post. It’s the depressing reality of an inbox after working in several different strands of media. In amongst the games you’ll find shoe collections, movie quad assets and mobility scooters. Also new yoghurts.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. MajorLag says:

As a grumpy old old man and semi-pro cynic, I was actually finding the trailer pretty neat right up until the “customize your mob” screen. Can’t a man even lead the angry rabble into an ill-advised confrontation with the gods these days without some tedious micromanagement?

• KevinLew says:

While it was in Early Access, the “customize your mob” didn’t mean that you get to customize literally every person in your mob. For the most part, you get to pick the your starting character and up to two free units at the start.

2. klops says:

Persuadetron.

3. Tiger Teeth says:

15% of £10 is all of £1.50. I am quivering, quivering I tell you, at the thought of saving the price of an entire bus ticket.

Anyway, the game looks okay, kind of a Pikmin/Little King’s Adventure-lite, but I’m not exactly hype for it. Might drop some money on it if I’m bored and I have an hour or two to kill.

(Which won’t be soon, I’m replaying Commandos 2).

• MajorLag says:

Nature of the industry I’m afraid. People will spend $4.00 on a coffee every day but balk at a developer who asks for a fiver.

I have several products priced at $0.99 myself, which have sold a collective 0 copies. Is that a testament to the lackluster nature of my work? Probably. But I’ve seen much better games in a similar situation.

• Ahtaps says:

The problem with the “It’s the price of a thing you buy regularly” mentality is that it fails to take into account the finite nature of money. I have a choice, buy my regular coffee or forego that to buy a game. My decision will be based on which I value more, although the general psychology is that you fail to realise it’s a binary choice and think “Well I buy coffee so I can afford this.”

That’s where it gets you though as you’re now buying a coffee and a game. You are no longer buying something the price of a coffee, you are now making a decision between being able to afford something else or the game. It’s Budgeting 101 and while a $4.00 purchase on its own isn’t likely to bust a budget, continuing to purchase based on the thinking “It’s only the price of a coffee” will run you into trouble and that’s why microtransactions work. You’re only focusing on the immediate cost, not the cumulative one.