No Man’s Sky Fixes And Workarounds

A man, patching No Man's Sky, yesterday.

No Man’s Sky may well have been Steam’s biggest launch of the year, but there’s no denying it’s having a litany of issues on PC. Everyone at RPS who’s played it has had one problem or another, and clearly from the feedback we’re receiving, so are many of you. So below we’ve collected together all the current fixes and workarounds for the game until next week’s patch goes live.

And if you’re very keen, there’s now an experimental version of the game with untested patches applied. Details for how to access it are below.

Before we start, it’s really important to make sure your machine meets the minimum spec for the game. They are:

OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core i3
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870
Storage: 10 GB available space
*Requires OpenGL 4.5, Intel cards are not supported.
*Core 2 CPUs and below are not supported

And make sure you’re graphics drivers are up to date. It’s not worth starting to fix anything before you’ve done those two.

Framerate Issues

It seems fairly safe to say that beyond many AMD users’ not being able to load the game at all, framerate stutters are the biggest problem with the game. And we’re not talking, “Wah wah I’m only getting 59fps” tedium – we’re talking the game freezing, or struggling to run smoothly even on systems way over spec. Hello Games report this appears to be an issue with shader caches (*nods sagely as if he understands*), and they’re working on a fix. However, they say, the more you play, the better this gets. Which is admittedly an odd fix, but one I can report is true – I was having the game freeze for a couple of seconds every scan or landing on Friday, now it’s far less common.

We’ve also found that lowering the game’s Generation Detail to medium makes a big difference here, although that’s a bummer of a setting to have to lower.

Others are finding the game is falling well short of the framerate limit they’ve set for it. The solution is – counter-intuitively – to boost the framerate limit way over what you’re after. Try putting it to 90. I’ve set mine to Max, and it locks out at a perfect 60fps.

Even Worse Framerates And Texture Flickering

This, it seems, might be to do with Steam’s overlay. If you’re finding chunks of the world are flashing around you, hit Shift-Tab while in-game, and the Steam overlay should appear. Bottom middle is Settings, click that, then the tab for In-Game. In there you can untick “Enable the Steam overlay while in game”. I think the game needs to be restarted for this to work. Hello also ask that you email with as much info as possible if this is happening to you, as they’re trying to figure it out with Valve.

The other possibility for suddenly abysmal frame drops is your graphics card running out of memory. At this point your PC switches over to your CPU RAM. Game not like that. If your graphics card is below spec, that’s going to be the problem. If it’s not, try lowering the resolution you’re running the game at to see if that helps, or set the texture quality down a peg.

A universal issue is that the game doesn’t seem to cope with being alt-tabbed out of while in full-screen mode. That’s pretty unforgivable not to have been spotted in testing, as it’s a strongly expected standard of Windows gaming. However, the game isn’t lost when you forget and do it anyway (so many times, so many times). If you’ve nipped out to check that email and then slapped your forehead at the prospect of lost progress, fear not – you can get the game back either of these ways:

– Go to Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del or Win-R, then “taskmgr”), Click the down arrow next to No Man’s Sky, then right-click on Application, and choose “Bring to front”.
– Go to the game’s Steam page, then click the Play button – it’ll pretend it’s launching it again, but then the game will pop up once more

Alternatively, you can run the game in either Borderless or Windowed mode, and then task-switching works just fine.

Game Won’t Launch

This could be because your monitor settings have been incorrectly detected. To find out, you need to leap inside NMS’s tummy workings by heading to:

[your Steam dir]/Steamapps/common/No Man’s Sky/Binaries/SETTINGS/TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML

Open that file with Wordpad or whatever, and then change the line that reads:

so it reads

Or if you fancy it, you can enter the correct screen resolution into the other relevant lines. Then give it another go. You can also set the rest of the game’s meagre graphics settings in here too.

However, if the game’s crashing during launch, there’s a good chance it’s your graphics drivers. Make sure they’re up to date, and keep an eye out for new ones hopefully appearing soon from both AMD and NVidia. Intel GPUs are not currently supported.

Finally, if you’re an AMD user and the game’s crashing on the Hello Games logo, then you’re currently out of luck. It is apparently because “Currently older AMD Phenom CPUs do not support SSE 4.1”. They’re working on a fix, which should hopefully be rolled out early next week.

Might It Be A GSync Issue?

A Reddit thread is reporting huge improvements in running the game if Gsync (an NVidia feature) is switched off. To do this, follow the instructions above, but this time change the line

“GSync” value=”true”

“GSync” value=”false”

Big thanks to FurryLippedSquid.

Crackly Sound

Some are having icky sound problems. The reported workaround at the moment is to go to your Windows Sound options and set it to “DVD Quality”. Like this:

– Control Panel – Sound; or right click on the speaker icon in your system tray and choose “Sounds”
– Right click on your Speakers, choose Properties
– Go to Advanced tab
– From the top drop-down box, pick “16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality”

Won’t Launch At All

If you’re getting “Error searching for MSVCR100.dll” or just nothing whatsoever when you launch from Steam, it was because of an issue with VC++ Redist 2010 (ah, that ol’ one). It’s fixed now! So you need to update the game on Steam. Quit out of it if you’ve left it running, go to your Steam library, then Downloads. In there you should see if any updates are waiting or scheduled, and bump them up with a click of the little up arrow. That should have the game add the patch that’s already been released.

The other odd message is “Either Steam isn’t running or you don’t have a suitable license”. I had this pop up when trying to recover from an early task-switch, and it seemed completely random then went away. However, if it persists it could be that your VC 2013 Redist is corrupt. What have you been up to? Easily fixed though – head here, and install that, and hopefully it’ll fix the problem.

Try The Experimental Version Of The Game

If none of the above works for you, Hello are rolling out untested patches for people to try. That’s awfully risky of course, and these could make your game far worse, but could also be worth a go. To access the experimental version of NMS, you’ll need to go to your Steam library, right click on No Man’s Sky, and choose Properties. You’ll see a tab for BETAS. Click on that, and then in the box enter the code: 3xperimental

That done the dropdown box above should become active, and you can now select Experimental. Do that and the game should download a new update, and then run it. If it works, Hello wants to know! Email them via and tell them what issue it fixed for you.

In General

If none of your issues are resolved by the above, the best thing to do is email with the problem, making sure to include all the details about your machine. The best way to do that is to use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To do that, hit Win-R, then type in “dxdiag”. Hit enter and up it’ll pop. There’s a button called “Save All Information…” – click on that, and then choose a location you’ll remember (it defaults to Desktop, which works), and then include that as an attachment in your email. This means Hello will have absolutely every bit of info they could need about your setup.

If you’re just wanting to be able to play, but finding it too staggery or slow, then obvious fixes are just lowering the in-game graphics settings to medium or low, switching off v-sync or anti-aliasing, and just experimenting to see which might be causing your issue. It’s tedious, because the game wildly annoyingly needs to restart for most changes, but this will likely let you at least identify which bit is causing trouble. And then hopefully next week’s patch will resolve whatever that might be.

We’ll let you know when the patch is out, and what improvements it brings. If you’ve found any other fixes or workarounds, please mention them below.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

To add a little more, this fix has been helping a lot of people.

link to

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Turning off V-Sync in game and turning it on in the Nvidia Control Center seemed to help as well.

• melnificent says:

The source of my crashes was…. Resolution set above 1080p. It’s been so long since I gamed at 1080p it all seems blurry and indistinct.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I have gamed at 1280×1024 for longer than I care to remember (I refuse to ditch my still working TFT panel), everything still looks great to me (with judicious use of AA)!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Strangely I found that upscaling over 1080 and turning AA off seemed to help as well. Definitely looks better anyhow.

2. satan says:

My first day was fine, ran great, looked great.

But my second day, just within the last hour or two I’ve been crashing to desktop without anything specific causing it that I can notice (happened once while looking at a planet, another time while just running around on the ground).

I at first thought maybe I’d spent so long on a planet that I’d broken it, but I get the same crash to desktop on a brand new planet.

• satan says:

Damn it, five minutes in and crashed to desktop again.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Tried a reboot, or rifling through Task Manager?

It wouldn’t launch for me, yesterday, but I noticed an erroneous instance of Punkbuster running in the background. Terminated it and all was well.

• satan says:

Yup tried a restart, no out of the ordinary processes going in the background, heaps of memory/cpu/gpu power to spare.
          I’ve found I can force the crash by interacting with those multi-tool upgrade stations you find in buildings, I’m pretty sure I’ve got every upgrade for the tool already, so that kind of explains that particular crash.

3. Yachmenev says:

Great article John. Seen some sites just complain, while good old RPS puts out a good summary, with helpful tips instead. Nicely done!

4. Ethaor says:

My main issue is gameplay.

I find it simply tedious and borderline boring after a few hours. The ‘procedural’ variety is almost non existant, the graphics very average and the gameplay in itself uninspired and lazy.

It would have had a tremendous success as normally hyped fun 20$ indie game entering early access. As a purposely over hyped, finished 60$ AAA game it is a complete failure and disappointment.

• Jediben says:

This. Space combat is TERRIBLE too.

• Knagar says:

No, not this. This is what get’s me in todays gaming age. No one is forcing you to buy anything. If you don’t think something is worth the money, why buy it? You’ve got ZERO excsue to cry and complain about a purchase you’ve made when now days even before the game launches you can find YouTube videos of it. You can find articles about it, even after launch you can wait and watch a few let’s plays and then make a decision.

It’s 100% ignorant to buy something in this day and age, play it, hate on it, and then rant and rave about how you don’t like it and don’t think it’s worth the money when you have all of the tools to find out exactly what it is like before you buy.

• Hedgeclipper says:

But one of the tools is people ranting and raving about how they don’t like it and don’t think it’s worth the money.

• discopig says:

How it is it 100% ignorant to criticize something after you’ve experienced it? If someone pays for a ticket to Suicide Squad and they don’t enjoy it, they’re not allowed to talk about why they thought it was bad?

It’s perfectly reasonable to assume that people were convinced by the trailers that there was a bunch of fun things to do in the game, and then, having played the game, realised that wasn’t the case.

• Ethaor says:

What you’re telling me is as silly as if I’d tell you: “Don’t like my comment? No one forced you to read it!”

With all due respect, it seems your anger about “todays gaming age” is taking over your common sense as you are beside the point.

I didn’t complain because I wasted 60$, that’s my money, my concern. I’m complaining because the game is bad for its price and marketing campaign, simple as that. It’s a missed opportunity and whether I bought it or not I am still allowed to share my opinion.

But to answer you, in my humble opinion, if there’s something to complain about in this day and age it’s the bad habit of releasing unoptimized broken games and certainly not how people should research for every game first.

• CartonofMilk says:

I have to say Considering it’s a GOG release, if you’re on PC, there is zero reason not to try it for free first. If you know what I mean. That’s certainly what I did and boy am I glad.

And I agree that the procedural generation is bull and no feat at all because it’s essentially the same planet every time with very little variations (where’s the several km high mountains? huge vast forests? vast fields? is there even deserts?) It’s a goddam joke. And that’s not yet touching on the uninspired incredibly repetitive gameplay. This is at best a 6.

Elite Dangerous planet generation is far more impressive and yet they’re barren and lifeless. God I think I also prefer Space Engineers planets. They sure have given me more the feel that i’m on an actual planet.

• Someoldguy says:

I guess I’m one of the lucky 60% [percentage pulled out of a hat based on the pool of people I know personally who aren’t bitching and moaning] who don’t have any crashes and for whom the planets visited have had very obvious differences in biomes and significant terrain differences from one area to another. It runs a little sluggish on my underpowered laptop compared to the main PC but frankly I would expect nothing less. It won’t be holding my interest for thousands of hours but I’m definitely getting my money’s worth. Patches and tweaks can only improve that.

• DThor says:

Well, I agree preorders are Satan’s marketing tool, but at the same time it’s similar (cost aside) to people that are butts-in-seats opening weekend for a movie they’ve decided *must* be good without waiting for reviews. Even with the ominous lack of review copies, some people wanted this day one, and that will never change. Bitching about frustrating QC for technical issues and crap gameplay is all they’ve got – they showed faith in the dev (why, I don’t know), so their cries of anger are just as legit as those that wait a week and buy a copy in a what-the-hell moment of weakness.
        Having said that, my degree of smugness over the cries is palpable. There are still far too many people that think it’s awesome, though, including a seriously pretentious Wired review that made me want to hurl.

• Distec says:

It seems like nobody is allowed to express any negative judgment of a game without sandwiching it between five paragraphs of needless “THAT’S JUST IMO YMMV” fluff.

• Congo says:

Even more, you can always “Pirate-it before you Buy-it”. I cant stress how much money this has saved me! Probably in the hundreds of dollars. And I always buy-it if I like-it, and still save tons o money.

• KastaRules says:

You fanboys criticized people for judging the game without having tried it first and now you also criticize those who bought it and did not enjoy it. What the heck.

Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and to have a first hand experience. Some enjoy NMS, some do not.

• LANCERZzZz says:

Agreed. This game never had a focus on combat, nor anything else other than exploration. And the procedural generation is AMAZING for that. What people need to understand is that this game is first and foremost a game about exploration. Every single aspect of the gameplay is meant to give you something to do while you walk around and take in the sights, and nothing more. There are some incredible sights too, I found a planet that was more or less barren on the surface but underneath was a vast network of connected underwater caves and tunnels. One sea-planet was filled with huge schools of banana shaped squid-plants. And there’s an infinite number of possiblities you can find in the sea, air, and land life as well as landscape. Not just on different planets, but in different regions of just one planet. If that doesn’t sound interesting to you, then you are not the target audience for this game, plain and simple, and so you should not have a say in how much the game should cost.

• w0bbl3r says:

Ok had to say this like 3 or 4 times to people now, yes it DID advertise a focus on more than exploration.
          The steam store page right this minute says you can choose your own path. Will you be a fighter, taking on traders for their cargo or fighting pirates for reward? Or will you be a trader, ferrying cargo to and fro for profit? Or will you be an explorer, travelling to the unknown reaches of space where nobody (except the frozen in place aliens waiting to sell you stuff) have been before.

The game has been advertised since it was first announced as a game where you choose your path through the galaxy, and in the week before release they ran a whole ad campaign of a trailer each for the different paths you can take.

So the game was sold on false advertising.
          Many people saw through this, since they never actually SHOWED any of this other stuff they advertised, even in the ads they ran. But most people didn’t. They trusted the developer (for some strange reason), trusted the ads to be true, trusted the steam store page to be true, and expected a game with more than just looking at strangely similar planets for infinity

• MikoSquiz says:

The exploration is definitely the best part. It’s a shame all the absurdly poor “gamey” bits detract from it. NMS would be much better if resource collection, upgrade crafting, trading, ground combat, and space combat were all removed, because none of them amount to anything except tedious busywork.

It’s a lot like a prettier Minecraft, if you couldn’t build things in Minecraft and spent all your time just mining for ore forever.

• MajorLag says:

Frankly, that should have been obvious long before your first play through. Procedural generation is often a crutch for lack of worthwhile content, used to artificially pad out something relatively vacuous. Of course, there are counter examples, so that alone wouldn’t have been enough to trip any alarms, but combined with the lack of talk about actual gameplay during all the hype, it was a pretty big clue. For me, all I had to hear was “crafting system” to ensure it was definitely going to be one of those tedious slogs through an infinity of repetition that isn’t at all up my alley.

• geldonyetich says:

What we have here are three wholly subjective observations.

“The ‘procedural’ variety is almost non existant”

I’m not sure I agree here. I’ve fully explored 6 planets and all of them had a pretty unique feel to them. Sure, some parts were reused, but I would have had to focus entirely on that to believe that means the procedural variety is “non-existent.”

“the graphics very average”

I’m not sure it’s fair to expect every game to have above-average graphics. I’ll agree that the texture detail is nothing to write home about, and are very obviously repetitive on flat surfaces. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that rot.

“the gameplay in itself uninspired and lazy.”

Another subjective judgement. There’s no standard of gameplay that asserts your game must do this to be inspired or that to not look lazy. I could agree with a criticism that the gameplay is not particularly deep, but this is counterbalanced by the intelligence of a design that endeavors not to get the player bogged down in sophistication. I think No Man’s Sky managed to do this without becoming too shallow.

I don’t know what else to tell you. I’m enjoying the game. I’ll likely continue to enjoy it for at least a week. Sure, that’s not the MONTHS of an everlasting gobstopper we were hoping for. But it’s a better return than some $60 games I’ve bought.

• pendergraft says:

It feels like buying the latest $60 Assassin’s Creed and finding out that every last little marker on the map denotes only a lootable chest.

• Spinkick says:

I agree completely. I gave it 10 hours of play and I just cant find the fun. Everything ends up looking the same, and I just dont see how this could be fun for someone. Its a tedium generator, there isnt really a sense of wonder.

I love the re-entry visuals and some of the ideas. But why does almost every planet have life? And space stations on every system? It would have been better to make this a survival sim than where they went with it. It feels so half baked.

PoulWrist says:

I wonder why Sony is getting so much leeway for this game.
      One, it’s totally borked on PC according to pretty much every outlot.
      Two, the marketing campaign for it was obtuse and perhaps even deceptive.
      Three, the 60€ pricetag, as part of the marketing campaign, is deceptive of the content of the game. This is clearly not a 60€ title. No, I have not played it, but I’ve seen hours of footage of it and there’s so far been nothing beyond what you see in the first hour or two before it stops showing you anything new. That’s just not very good…

How would I know if I haven’t played it? Well, I’ve seen people just start the game out and I’ve seen peple who had like 40 hours in it. Nothing was different.
      While that’s OK in some cases, like I expect my multiplayer Battlefield experience to be pretty much the same every time I load it up, but that’s an experience driven by the events in the game constantly changing around the players and their actions. This is not that.

• try2bcool69 says:

“Purposely overhyped”, “Lazy”.
      You know, the guy came up with an awesome idea to make this beautiful, nearly infinite world to play around in, and he described to us his vision in a way that made us want to share in that vision, to walk in that sci-fi wonderland that was in his head.
      You cannot possibly have ever lived your life without being so excited about something that it became infectious to others. A friend of mine described The Doors music with such passion, that I couldn’t help but listen to it through his hype filter, even though I wasn’t that big of a fan. But man, it sounded great with his analysis of it’s greatness running through my head.
      As far as being “lazy”, I think that’s just a ridiculous thing to use to describe the devs. I’ll tell you what happened…7 or 8 months ago, people started asking, “But, what do you do in the game?” and Sean Murray was like, “You walk around and look at amazing stuff!” and all but the faithful started to lose interest. So, really, they’ve probably only been putting actual gameplay in there since the first of the year. It’s not lazy, it’s lack of foresight that people might want something more than walking around to do, and not having enough time to iron it out.
      I blame Sony for pushing them to release the game at least a year too early, and setting a ridiculously high price at release, probably in the hopes that the game would deliver and they could demand more money for indie titles in the future.

• sundawn says:

Full ACK

it is utterly boring. I’m wondering how the gaming industry has managed to keep refunds out of the stupid masses heads. I’m happy I didn’t pay the cash for it !

• dozurdogbite says:

xactly dewd, you nailed it!
      There is potential, but the tediousness of digging for ore and watching out for life system depletion and whatnot just put me off

5. Carra says:

John should work for their QA department!

• Jediben says:

Before Friday, ANYONE should have worked for their QA department!

• Yachmenev says:

Very harsh.

The devs owe their customers to fix bugs and performance issues, but let them breath and work with the fixes now. As said in the OP, they already have a beta patch out for several of the issues.

• Jediben says:

I don’t think it is unfair to suggest they should have taken due diligence and employed people to test the game before release.

• Yachmenev says:

Things like that are of course very easy to say when you sit on the opposite side of them.

As said, bugs and performance issues should be fixed, but there’s no need to kick them to the curb while they were doing it. I think this article by John shows a more mature way to handle it.

The problem with delaying the game is that it’s nowadays being considered as a sign of weakness to do that, and just delaying the PC version for a few days more then the PS4 caused a collective sigh and much annoyance among gamers.

They have a responsibility here, but maybe people can give up some parts of the insults being thrown at them.

• miateila says:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away there was a company called Sierra Online, and they were well regarded for their games.

Sierra Online released a lot of really great games. And so they looked at the “Space” victory from Civ, and they looked at SimCity, and they said we need to write SimCity in Space.

And so that project was a game called Outpost.

Outpost was hyped to main stream media, and it was marketed heavily. They got NASA to endorse it, they got OMNI Magazine to endorse it, everyone loved it.

Then they shipped it — and it was a crash prone monster on real hardware. No problem, connect up long-distance (paying by the minute, since we didn’t have unlimited long distance back then) to their bulletin board, download the disk — or call them and they send you a floppy in the mail.

Past the technical problems, the manual and reviews discussed features that were not actually present in the shipped copy of the game. In interviews, they promised things — then failed to deliver those as well.

At the high point of the fall out, in the days before Internet, you would connect to Sierra’s bulletin board and there was a message left jointly by one of the Cofounders and the head of tech support. It said:
            “Outpost is a complete game. Quit contacting our support department and asking about it.”

After a while, they released four more patches — and the final patch introduced some, but not all, of what the product documentation said should be there.

That, more than anything, is what this launch reminds me of. If my QA department screws up, I’m on a plane to some exotic local — Detroit, New Jersey, the slums of Madrid — and I’m talking to a guy in a suit who just paid $2m for something that isn’t working. Those conversations are not fun, the troubleshooting is not fun, the stress is not fun.

Small studios need to do early access — period. Here’s the thing, there are a lot of computers. A lot. No two Windows machines are alike. There is a tremendous diversity in loaded software, installed hardware, and even within a brand there is variance.

And so if you’re Electronic Arts, you can test that — if you’re Ubi, well we’ve proven they can’t already.

So anyway, if you’re a large publisher — you can test your software, but if you’re a smaller outfit you can’t. And so you want to get your program in front of a lot of eyes, get the crash reports way before your program has to ship, and make sure you know it’s solid.

Early Access or another beta program, it gets your program in front of a lot of sympathetic eyes, it gets a lot of people happy to contribute to testing your program, and it gets you a lot of early feedback on the things you need feedback on.

The moment you label it as a release, people expect more out of it — they expect a better experience. You deliver it or you don’t, and if you don’t — well, take a look at the reviews section on No Man’s Sky, take a look at the community section. That’s the outcome.

Hello Games is being great about it — don’t get me wrong — but they need to work with Valve to get the system requirements updated to be accurate.

That is the root thing here, isn’t it? There are a lot of AMD machines out there, and you read I3 and it doesn’t indicate which I3 (and there are a lot of different I3 chips out there). It looks like it really means Sky Lake or Sandy Bridge maybe — but it doesn’t come out and say it, you know what I mean?

And so you try to translate that to an AMD part — but you don’t know why they’re asking for that specific part, because it’s not in the requirements — and so you go “it’s 8 cores, they’re 5ghz, the I3 has less than half that processing power, should be fine.”

That’s the root issue from a requirements standpoint, and from a QA standpoint. I also get a kick out of the fact that they can’t support integrated video cards.

That’s because they run on a PlayStation 4, and that’s an integrated video card — so it’s OK on an AMD integrated card I guess maybe?

Anyway — Hello Games is working hard to fix it, and I’ll give them that, but I wonder how many of those concurrent users are really “tried to run it but crashed during the poll interval.”

I also want to point out — my level of optimism once it is working is limited by the 2.6gb pool size for the assets. While I understand how procedural generation works, I’ve written more than one after all, that pool size seems awfully small compared to, say, Spore with the add-ons.

And so that would seem like it would cap the variations that would be possible on the critters. For the geometry, you can use shaders and do some pretty complex terraforming from a shader — but it appears from the commercial review sites that may not be what happened.

Also, you know earlier in the week, they told reviewers not to publish their reviews because the Friday patch significantly changed some things, and the reviews wouldn’t be fair and accurate.

That and that they said they were working right up to the release date — that doesn’t play well with doing meaningful quality assurance. Heading into a release, it shouldn’t be feature work — doing feature work heading up to a release is a sure fire way to have negative customer feedback.

I’ve never seen a single case where doing feature work up until the day of a release ended well for any company, anywhere. Just saying.

Harlander says:

@miatelia Good, insightful stuff – which makes the fact that the comment layout has shoved it into a mile-long, two-inch-wide column all the more painful.

• Stellar Duck says:

Not harsh enough I’d say, if it’s true they didn’t have a QA team in place.

These guys deserve every criticism they get. And frankly, I don’t think they get enough criticism. Even this post was mealy mouthed about it.

• Jediben says:

Well I do have a reputation to uphold.

• Stellar Duck says:

Sorry, I’m not sure if I made it sound like you were mealy mouthed.

I meant the RPS post. You were clear enough, even if I would say it was not harsh enough.

• John Walker says:

Your mum is mealy mouthed.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Did Walker just mum-slam you?

I believe he did.

Heady days.

• Stellar Duck says:

Unfortunately, she kinda is.

That being said, I’m not sure how it’s relevant.

• Spinkick says:

They knew how bad it was and what they did by releasing it as messed up as they did. They deserve the criticism. Its not professional nor is it acceptable.

PoulWrist says:

The devs and Sony owe it to us to not release a game in a beta state. I’d even say that NMS is alpha state, beta is usualy when you’re freezing the introduction of features to work on balancing them and making them stable. NMS certainly has a long way to go before it’s got enough features and has had its features balanced.
          This is not acceptable for Sony and Hello Games like it’s not acceptable for Warner and whoever made Arkham Knight or any other shoddy PC port or release of beta-state games for full price.

6. aircool says:

++ I’ve noticed that the game won’t launch if I’ve already got Steam running. If I quit the game (‘cos I need to alt-tab but can’t), then I have to quit Steam before restarting the game) ++

The game is working fine for me now (most of the time).

60-72fps with a GTX970, all settings on high (shadows on medium).

Note that I use the Ge Force Experience to set the graphics automatically, then just reduce shadows by one notch.

There is some slowdown when my CPU is at 100% (hyperdrive, game loading etc…), but nothing serious.

As for the game… I find the variety quite limited. I don’t like the flight controls one bit (Oh Freelancer… your mouse driven flight model was sooo good), and its annoying that you can’t view recipes without a free inventory slot.

Still, at least they have £££’s to bring the game up to par and then get working on new features.

• aircool says:

Oh, and if I hadn’t already bought the game, I still would have, if you know what I mean.

7. Knagar says:

I personally haven’t had any issue with the game so far. Launches fine, runs fine, and am loving every minute of it so far. If you’re having issues, it seems a lot of these fixes mentioned above are helping a lot of people out.
    i5 4590 @ 3.3 GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1833MHz Ram
    120GB Samsung HDD
    ASUS GTX 750 Ti OC

• Spinkick says:

I wonder what kind of person loves a game like this. What exactly do you love about it? It seems like we could throw you in a room with a ball of yarn and you’d be ecstatic.

• Bull0 says:

Fairly silly. People love all sorts of different things.

• geldonyetich says:

I’ve been gaming nearly non-stop for 30 years since I was on a Commodore 64 and find the concept of having a social life appallingly detrimental.

I’ve burned out from darn near every gaming concept under the sun, repeatedly.

I find No Man’s Sky alright. Not mind-blowing, but a decent chill time that will last me a reasonable amount of time.

Yarn, unfortunately, does nothing for me.

• satan says:

Exploring, finding ruins & history (from what I can tell so far, the current Gek are pretty meek compared to their ancient ancestors who were out to conquer everything), meeting sentient aliens, trying to communicate with aliens, seeing weird and whacky creatures, going to both the centre and the very edge of the universe (longterm goals).

Harlander says:

Without attempting to enumerate the compelling factors, a pretty good dividing line for liking NMS is your answer to the question, “Did you enjoy Noctis?”

8. snowgim says:

I wonder if the alt-tab problem is also to do with Steam overlay, since I’m playing it through GOG and have had no problems alt-tabbing.

Also, is there a good explanation of what Generation Detail setting does? Seems pretty important, but what’s the real difference between high and medium?

• Vacuity729 says:

I’m confuzzled by this complaint as I’m running on Steam with the overlay but can Alt-Tab just fine. In fact I’ve had zero technical hitches thus far (only an hour and a bit played). Fingers crossed this continues.

• snowgim says:

Update: started getting the alt-tab problem when I set my res to native 1920×1200. Before I was playing at 1920×1080 since 16:10 stretches the hud. Put it back on 1920×1080 and alt tabbing works fine again.

9. Monggerel says:

When this game got announced, I said “that’s a very apposite title for a no-show kickstarter meltdown”.

Was I validated? Was it all worth it in the end? Is this the victory I longed for?

Thank you, everyone.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, I mean.

It’s not a no-show. The game is here and people are playing it. So it’s at least Some Men’s Sky.

• iainl says:

Some people are experiencing terminal problems like an immediate crash to desktop from the logo screen. Not All Men’s Sky.

(oh God, I hate myself)

• Rindan says:

I think there was a substantial crowd that took one look at that game and said, “uh, you guys know that procedurally generated content is shit, right?”

Any game that flouts procedural generation and then omits words about game play can be safely tossed in a trashcan. Procedural content is good for one and only one thing. If you have great gameplay; game play so good you want it to go on forever no matter how shit the setting, procedural is the answer. It won’t be anywhere within spitting distance of being as good as hand made stuff, but if gameplay is the star of the show, procedural generation is fine.

Guess what they never talked about in the hype to No Man’s Sky?

People. If a game touts procedural content and then proceeds to babble endlessly about how many combination that produces instead of game play, don’t buy it. It’s going to suck.

• Geebs says:

You know what, I was one of those people who said that procedural content would be a lot less interesting than all of the overexcited crowd thought it would, I don’t find Minecraft that interesting and I have no time for self-indulgent garbage like Proteus.

I’ve still found NMS a lot more interesting to look at and enjoyable to play than I ever thought it would be. I don’t think there’ll be anything too crazy in the game, but it’s scratching my Morrowind itch a lot better than I imagined and it’s a damn site more fun as a wander-em-up than, say, Fallout 4.

10. Kefren says:

I wish to f&$k that graphics cards (and other hardware) used a straightforward numbering system. They are such a cause of confusion.

“Ah, needs an nVidia GTX 480. That’s okay, I have an nVidia GTX 750. Higher number, so more recent/powerful.”

Except when I looked into it, according to some sites the card with the higher number is slower, due to the _middle_ number 5 being lower. It’s no wonder people don’t have an easy time understanding graphics cards.

• gunny1993 says:

Yeah but a linear numbering system wouldn’t work because real life benchmarks are only valid for the games that are currently avaliable and artificial ones often have generational problems due to architecture differences.

I mean really, old gpus should never be stated on the system requirements at all.

• DanMan says:

Minimum specs usually mean that you need at least that generation of tech to even launch it (the GTX 4xx was the first with DX11 support). Recommended specs are a lot more vague, but they usually amount to being able to play at high(est) details (which is different from additional quality improvements like high levels of AA) at a decent frame rate (30+).

• GameOverMan says:

A GTX 750 Ti is (roughly) as powerful as a GTX 480, it has more VRAM (2 GB versus 1.5 GB) albeit with less bandwidth, due to using 128-bit memory. The model you have (minus Ti) is 25% slower. I think you could play at medium-low settings.

Ericusson says:

I play on an nvidia 750m (boot camp MacBook Pro) and … It’s playable, really. I am used to low resolutions and compromises in graphics though.

Turn off g-sync in the said XML file.
      1366×768 resolution
      No AA or anisotropic filtering
      Everything to medium but shdows on low
      Nvidia control panel set towards performance

The game is totally playable. Details on Screen are messy of course but the high contrast saturated palette makes it ok.
      If you are used to sacrifices in your gaming habit, go for it.

• iainl says:

Really? Compared to AMD I find the NVidia numbering not that complex; first bit is the generation number, then two digits for the model in that range, and those are normally just 50/60/70/80 give or take a “Ti” that means “better, but not as good as the next one up”. Though why it’s called a 750Ti rather than a 755 is anyone’s guess.

Just as a Peugeot 206 was a replacement for the 205, despite being newer than the 305.

11. foszae says:

I’m not very interested in the wander-around-endlessly-collecting-resources type of game. Frankly, this just sounds like a more boring version of Minecraft set in space. But i am almost tempted to pick it up just to test whether my computer is up-to-snuff enough to run the game at high settings. Sixty bucks worth of tempted, probably not, but still tempted.

• 13tales says:

I think there are better games for that? NMS’ issues strike me more as the poorly-optimised-for-a-variety-of-PC-hardware type. It’s visually stunning, but that’s got much more to do with the colours, creatures, and landscapes than actually asking a lot of the graphics hardware.

• PancakeWizard says:

The game not running at high settings is more to do with bad optimisation from the game, than hardware related right now. It’s not actually a graphically demanding game, or at least it shouldn’t be. It works the CPU more than most games though (voxel-based).

However, I should also say it’s not Minecraft-like. The crafting is more akin to crafting you’d get in an RPG as a side-job in terms of how it actually works. You find blueprints for upgrades, and they have resource requirements, so you hunt for those resources. The fun comes from the exploration itself, as all the crafting/upgrades are entirely geared around being able to access new areas to explore, or make that exploring easier.

Example: I do a system scan and it tells me there is an outpost on a nearby planet, I go there, it contains some blueprints for upgrades and a minor logic puzzle with minimal narrative that if solved, gives me a signal to an abandoned base. The abandoned base is under a lake, so I have to swim in through the window (more blueprint upgrades), and another logic puzzle/narrative from the still functioning interface, and I’ve detected a signal from a crashed ship. Following that thread, the ship has a little Choose Your Own Adventure narrative choice (these are common), and I get some free upgrades, and the chance to repair and claim the ship if I like it (crashed ships/new multitools all have a couple more inventory spaces/different tech/different cosmetic design in them to tempt you to upgrade).

That’s the day-to-day of the game, and I only need to gather resources to keep my current equipment working, sell for units or craft any of the found blueprints I like.

• Geebs says:

It’s pretty intensive, actually. That much draw distance is a killer, and all of the graphical stuff people have been complaining about (e.g. the ugly pixellated LOD changes), together with things like all of the big ships zapping into system, is a catalogue of the tricks you have to use to get a procedural solar system to work on modern hardware. The fact that they managed to give everything a nicely stylised look and even shoehorn a bit of gameplay in there too is a pretty major achievement.

I’ve had a hobby procedural project on the go for a while. To put Hello Games’ skill into perspective, I can render about 200 square kilometers of flat terrain, vegetation, life forms (and running water, which is the real killer) at about 30 fps, and it doesn’t look anywhere near as good. Doing an entire solar system is pretty darn impressive.

• Cinek says:

It doesn’t run an entrie solar system though. It’s more like a bubble around you, everything beyond that doesn’t really exist (planets are just a simple single-texture spheres until the moment you approach them). There’s even a clear, hard border between space, atmosphere and ground stages of the game, each of which cannot really be crossed without using a dedicated function (inescapable “land” button)

• Geebs says:

Well exactly, because running an entire solar system with spatial resolution down to about half a metre is completely impossible. What I’m saying is that they’re handling the LOD pretty well given that they don’t have Rockstar money and have to generate geography on the fly rather than streaming it in. The fact that you can come back to individual buildings after you’ve been to another planet is pretty impressive in itself. I’m fairly sure that they’re using a reliable hack of the human memory and forgetting the locations of all the plants between visits, too. It’s funny how easy it is to be fooled by that sort of thing.

This is still about as good an attempt as anybody could have made at this point in terms of consumer technology that’s readily available. The “poorly optimised” blowhards don’t know what they’re talking about, as per usual.

12. int says:

All it needs is some No Man’s K-Y.

13. Ham Solo says:

The only fix that helped me was the Steam refund button. Worked fine. I might return to it in a year or so, when it’s fixed and on sale.

• fish99 says:

Got to admit, I refunded it too (2.6 hrs played). With the issues it has, I feel that £40 is just too much.

14. noerartnoe says:

On the off-chance no-one’s posted this already:
    The game seems to take offence at alt-tabbing(I’m on Steam, by the way). If you can’t alt-tab back in, just click the “Play” button in steam again. No, I’m not making a joke, if the game is running and you tabbed – pressing “play” will take you back to the game after a little bit. Alternatively you can simply open the overlay before tabbing out and it’ll work just fine.

• hungrycookpot says:

For veterans of PC gaming I assume this isn’t an issue, because the ol “alt-tab back INTO the game” works just fine for me. That is, don’t click on the taskbar icon to get back into the game, hold down alt and press tab so you get the window switcher dialog, and go through the windows until you select NMS, then release alt. Works every time for me?

15. PancakeWizard says:

RE: Experimental branch.

” That’s awfully risky of course, and these could make your game far worse, but could also be worth a go.”

It’s less risky than tinkering around yourself. This is the first thing I would try after driver updates (it includes the Gsync fix). If something goes really wrong, you can always revert back to the public version.

All the other tinkering is really for desperate GoG users or for those that didn’t get any joy with Experimental.

16. mercyRPG says:

No Man Sky is a nice try, but they got a watered up empty game. Resembles to those big colorful fruits on store shelves without taste.

• PancakeWizard says:

It’s really not an empty game, it just feels like it needs some refinement in the threat-stakes, IMO.

Space pirates need to be ground enemies as well (or soldiers of some kind), guarding bases. Sentinels need to be less of a crutch, as they attack you for seemingly anything. I don’t know why Sentinels give a shit if I blow up a rock or bust into an abandoned base that isn’t theirs, or attack a freighter. They certainly don’t come to my aid if pirates attack me. When I first heard of them pre-release, I assumed they were mainly caretakers of garden worlds or old Atlas ruins – stuff that matters (“All these worlds are yours, except Europa” etc).

Bases of all kinds are far too common and easy to find, IMO. I suspect it’s because there’s no base building of our own, so they amped up the frequency of shelters, but it’s not really needed.

Atlas stations/ruins as far as I’m concerned, should be in completely unoccupied parts of space. My first Atlas station was in a system with a space station, a planet-side trading post and all the usual stuff. Hardly the mysterious discovery it should’ve been.

All that, and the ‘space soup’ full of asteroids you’re flying through to get to these destinations are my biggest gripes.

None of the above, however stops it from being a decent game, they just stop it being a better one.

• Spinkick says:

I agree with your description, but you basically just described everything that there is to do in the game. Its just..boring.

Ericusson says:

PancakeWizard you are pretty much spot on.
        I am always amazed at how bad decisions can be taken in a group and obviously someone had a very bad influence with many dumb non user oriented ideas in the studio that should never have gone through the filters.

Then again it always happens in game development and you can always find a political navigating ass in all organizations so that probably happened.

Too bad the game does not support mods, it’s the only way in all recent games to actually make the game complete and remove the stupid ideas of last worded executives.

17. Koozer says:

Anyone got a fix for the downsampled resolution?

• Trurl says:

Here’s what fixed the “down sampled resolution” and ugly textures for me. This is with an Nvidia card, so YMMV.

1) Turn off Antialiasing and Texture Filtering in the in game options.
      2) Go into the Nvidia control panel and under 3D settings override the settings for No Man’s Sky (nms.exe): Turn on FXAA anti-aliasing and set it to 2x or 4x, turn on texture filtering and set it to 16x.

I don’t know why this helps, because its the same settings as used in game. But it made a huge improvement in the visuals for me.

The idea for this came from the reddit NMS PC megathread.

• Koozer says:

Made no discernable difference for me. :( On closer inspection at least part of the fuzzy effect is the funky 80s filter softening the edges.

• fish99 says:

I dunno, I’d swear the PS4 version doesn’t have that blurry look to edges the PC one has (no matter what AA settings are used). There’s also the FOV issue where you set 100 degrees and only get about 75. Not 100% sure but I suspect the game is rendering natively then upscaling the middle portion of the screen, hence the FOV drop and general blurriness.

18. Tikigod says:

Quite surprised this didn’t get a mention as it fixes the ‘White Screen of Death’ crash for most people having driver/OpenGL issues even on OpenGL 4.5 supported GPUs that still don’t work with the game for whatever reasons Hello Games can come up with to wave it off as user fault.

link to

• qrter says:

I was surprised this wasn’t in the main article either. Made it possible for me to play the game, and it seems to be doing the same for a swathe of people.

• Jay Load says:

I came here to post exactly this. I’m on a Radeon HD 5850 and kept white-screening until I found this. Now I’ve made it to my third star system.

19. pjed81 says:

Good Christ, is it necessary for you to post a new No Man’s Sky article every time the developer so much as farts? Everything here is in the developer’s Steam news post, which anyone who owns the game will see on their Steam library page. Or at least they would if there weren’t 527 RPS articles about the game clogging up the news feed.

Oh, right. Ad revenue. Sigh.

• Bull0 says:

This post is full of useful workarounds and info for people playing the game. Just don’t click on the next one. It’s not difficult. Unless you have some sort of demon-possessed mouse, or you just like getting pissy about stupid things.

• hungrycookpot says:

Imagine an xyz space, x left-right, y up-down, z forward-back. Now picture an object that rotates around the x-axis when a tangential force in the z-axis is applied to it’s outer circumference, as seen here. This should approximate the action of a component on the front of your mouse, and if you just apply a gentle tangential force you should be able to scroll right on past that content that you aren’t interested in.

20. racccoon says:

Being independent from dreaded Steam! :)
    My first few minutes of starting the game on the PC was a tiny few seconds rocky, but, I went straight to the source..the graphics file location No Man’s Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML opened it in notepad and changed it to look like this..

then hit “save” not “save as”
    And it works like a dream.
    Yesterday, as I bought the game from GOG!
    I went from my independence to launching it from the GOG Galaxy tool, which was so easy to apply a outside game too, it updated the game, checked all my NMS game files, and is just like I installed it on Galaxy tool.
    My game rewards appear as well and its all happy chappy Space jetting fun times! :) good luck everyone.

21. racccoon says:

22. insanejudge says:

Just to provide an example of the exquisite depth to which this was poorly thought out:

Immediately upon starting the game from steam I remembered I had some laundry which needed changing. When I came back a bit later to start playing I found my player nearly naked (from broken gear) with an empty inventory, standing next to an empty gravestone on top of my ship.

Helpfully NMS had decided to automatically start a game, loading in where I’d saved previously, which given the automatic-only nature of saves was when I’d _exited_ my ship, promptly freezing me to death. Also helpfully, the game decided that would be an excellent time to save and automatically respawn me, where I subsequently froze to death again, this time absolutely destroying my inventory. In a final bout of exuberant and mindless automation my backup save was rotated out of existence as I was respawned again.

Left without working equipment or the means to repair the equipment, I suppose I’m fortunate to be near an outpost where I may be able to use my looks and 4 understood words of korvax to hustle enough carbon to trade my way out of this situation in some hours.

How was any of this sequence a sane default at any stage? It might be helpful to come with a warning when you simply run the program that you’d better be on the ball or all of your saves will be automatically and irrevocably destroyed.

Ericusson says:

Tried NMS on a 750m laptop and … It runs ok-ish.
    So err the game is pretty tolerant and I had no bug whatsoever in the day of my tryout. So I’d say not too bad.
    Of’course it’s ugly and the inventory is a stupid stupid stupid idea (though I had already added 4 inventory slots in these ten hours).

I ranted a bit about NMS but actually had a really good 10 hours of playing happily with it and I now bought the game at a reduced price due to being in ASEAN zone.

At 30 bucks I can say I have no regret whatsoever buying the game. Not sure I would have at 60. Now if only MSI released its new gaming laptops …

Ericusson says:

Not sure how it will fare in the long run though.
      If Hello Games manages to bring more life and varitety and less always the same thing procedural crap and some things are done about the interface (fuck you for giving us the console interface and not even working just a little in the specifics of PCs).

Well it might be good.
      If not well it will be forgotten like the shallow gameplay it now proposes.

24. Aztek says:

When you get to the centre of the universe you get a BSOD.

Congratulations, you win. Your computer is ruined.