Dishonored 2 Gamescom Trailer Shows Emily’s Skillz

There will be many ways to play Dishonored 2 [official site], rewarding players for stealth and more brazen maneuvers both. We got a glimpse of some of Corvo’s more aggressive skills at QuakeCon. Now, with Gamescom festivities well underway, Arkane gives us a glimpse at what empress Emily Kaldwin has up her sleeve, and she is easily just as vicious. Take a look!

Emily is quite a force, going by the video. It seems she specializes in aerial take-downs and special warpy stealth moves. Emily can transform herself into some sort of phantasmic rat, allowing her to sneak up on unsuspecting baddies and dismember them. I typically don’t have the patience for stealth, typically giving myself approximately two seconds of sneaky time before I give up and go in guns a’blazin. But this? This I might be able to get behind.

If that’s not enough, Emily Kaldwin has a neato warp ability that has her zipping around the room before anything can even think to touch her, which certainly comes in handy when taking out a guard of eerie steampunky robots.

Dishonored 2 switches things up a bit, letting you play as either Corvo or Emily this time around, using their distinct abilities to navigate the Mediterranean-inspired city of Karnaca. It’s out November 11 on Steam for £39.99/59,99€/$59.99.

From this site

1. Synesthesia says:

BUT WUT

UBUT

TUH MUUUNZZ

• Synesthesia says:

I’m sorry, i don’t know what came over me. I think reddit is open a few tabs from here. Maybe that’s it.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Seems rather verbose for a Reddit post.

• Distec says:

It’s also a caricature of a mindset that doesn’t actually exist! :D

But he’s having fun, it seems.

• GWOP says:

Not a single subreddit?

• Distec says:

@GWOP

Assuming I’m correctly guessing the one you’re referring to, then no, not even that one*. AFAIK it’s never been a big deal, and most fans of the game (at least that I’ve met) were requesting a playable Emily before Dishonored 2 was even announced. Nobody is gunning for Arkane over this, and the people one would assume to be filthy trolls seem to be generally supportive of this addition to the sequel.

I understand that some people cannot resist the urge of making craptastic Reddit/TEHMENZ jokes whenever we come within a 600-mile radius of the topic of female characters. But boy would it make me happier they at least tracked somewhat with reality.

*Reddit is a big site. No doubt you can find some idiot whining about this and getting a pitiful number of upvotes. I see nothing to indicate these people represent a norm of any kind, so pay them as much attention as one should; which is none.

2. GWOP says:

This time, I’ll have fun and do a lethal playthrough!

*sees Emily casually dismembering her subjects*

On second thought…

• LionsPhil says:

That doesn’t even seem an effective way to kill them. Those poor guys are going to be lying, probably screaming, bleeding out for a while.

(Plus the human body is not actually made like an action-man figure that’ll pop neatly apart at the joints, and Dishonored’s visual style is just a little too “serious” for such cartoonery to sit right.)

• gunny1993 says:

Looks like the hands and used as monofilament wire, cutting, not popping

• w0bbl3r says:

As gunny says there, it seems she is cutting not just popping off legs.
        I thought with the first one that she had just pulled until the leg came off at the knee, which seemed silly especially considering how neatly and easily it seemed to come apart.
        But the second time, I’m sure I saw a quick slashing motion, and definitely heard a sound like a blade slashing. So I am sure this is a cutting dismemberment, not just somehow pulling apart the body at set joints like some kind of artists doll.

• Zenicetus says:

Um… yeah, bodies don’t work like that. Maybe it was a conscious choice to avoid showing what it would really look like?

Also, as the guy in charge of buying and sharpening our utility and kitchen knives in the house, I had to cringe at the way she’s using her blade to pry apart robots. Blades don’t work like that either. Not unless it’s some kind of unobtainium material that never loses its edge.

Well, minor details that can be ignored, I guess. I enjoyed the last one so I have high hopes for this one.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, when it’s breaking up robots rather than flesh it’s harder to ignore that your sword must also be one hell of a pry bar.

3. DJ0JJ says:

It is me or this was boring?

• thedosbox says:

It’s OK. We don’t all have to like the same things.

• Rich says:

Whenever you ask a question starting with “Is it me or…” the answer is yes, it is you.

• buttsparks says:

What youre seeing and feeling I think is the modern game industry philosophies where even the bestest best quality games that come out these days seem to lack something unnameable compared to the “golden age” where dev teams had more freedom to experiment and inject their personality into the fantasy.
      Dishonored and its sequel are without doubt such fun and entertaining products but, you know, you just cant anymore shit your pants hiding in the dark corners of a stained-glass hammerite cathedral listening in on fundamentalist small talk, or searching for a magical horn in catacombs full of strange creatures with only a crudely drawn map that spells “where am i?”.
      Its the inevitable homogenization of a creative medium getting older, same thing that happened to the movie industry. But every once in a while, theres still some crazy person with lots of money whos obsessed about using the old principles, and thats why we still get things like Interstellar.
      So its not all so bad, keep the faith brother.

• mukuste says:

Meh, I think it’s more us getting older and less impressionable.

And Interstellar is exactly that pale imitation of a Stanley Kubrick movie that you seem to be complaining about, so it’s weird to name exactly that as something fresh and unique.

• buttsparks says:

You just dont get it! Its exactly the imitations of Kubrick I welcome, pale or tanned. What I was complaining about was the industry doing imitations of whatever came out last year, which is terrible for creative extrapolation. Now Dishonored is indeed a slight exception as its atleast trying to get back to the roots, but in the end it still takes the safe route, both in theme and mechanics. How I wish we had more imitations of Thief, Half-Life, Deus Ex etc.. where the emphasis is on atmosphere and story and personality, not this formulaic polished pop.

And no Im not getting old, Im still the same person I was when I was 12.

• buttsparks says:

Wait maybe I am getting old……

But thats not any of your business so leave me alone!
          And get off my lawn!!!

• karnak says:

I have to agree with you 100%.
        The film industry was a very good example.
        Movies like “Intolerance”(1916), “Nosferatu”(1922) or “Metropolis”(1927) – among so many early classics – were giant creative and experimental leaps in terms of filmmaking techique. Far more experimental and risk-taking than 99% of films we get nowadays.

And I suspect we’ll see a proof of this soon enough.
        Let’s all check the differences between “Blade Runner” and the upcoming sequel. I bet we’ll get bigger and better CGI. But the rest will most likely be a disaster.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I think it’s the movement. It looks inelegant and warpy. The player character gets hit repeatedly, to no apparent effect. The enemies appear inconceivably stupid, wandering dumbly over when one of their comrades is killed, walking blithely on when the soldier next to them is hoisted into the air and literally torn apart, never really offering apparent resistance to the player.
      This trailer makes the thing look more like a sadists playground than a sneak-em up.

Aitrus says:

I’m liking forward to this like crazy, the first Dishonored is my favorite game, but this really was a bad preview. Hopefully the guards won’t be this idiotic on very hard mode.

• klops says:

Yeah, the moving felt bad. That sliding feels off and constant hopping back and forth wasn’t that nice. That invisible shadow magic super crawl form also felt very overpowered. No one sees you and you just put people to pieces while doing that.

Still, this can’t be that different from the first Dishonored, so most likely I’ll enjoy playing it.

4. Serenegoose says:

Half expecting those robots to let out a ‘builder fuel us!’ or a ‘praise karras!’ given their voices.

5. thedosbox says:

Aerial take downs in the first game were always fun, so I’m happy to see this. Wondering if the dismemberment move always has the same result though (i.e. right leg broken at the knee).

6. sinbad says:

Maybe i’m just getting old, I am after all in my mid thirties, but gosh this game seems extremely unnecessarily violent to me. Killing baddies is often part of entertainment but in the two trailers I’ve seen for this game so far, the violence and gore seems so stylised and graphic it just really puts me off. I realise not many will share my view of course, it’s just how I feel personally :)

• pgunn01 says:

Might be time to switch game genres? There are plenty that are not particularly violent. I’ve found that my preferences drift from year to year (I’m in my late 30s).

• jrodman says:

I’ve always found this level of hyperviolence unwelcome. In n the very old days (eg. 1990) we lacked the technology to represent violence that accurately, so it was not present in any overbearing form in any games, regardless of the vision the game makers wanted to sell. So while I might have disagreed with the marketing back then, the products were innocuous.

Now, it’s all too easy to represent detailed hyperviolence on screen. Maybe some people actually really love the stuff, but I suspect most just ignore it, like chorus on pop vocals.

• w0bbl3r says:

So “detailed hyperviolence” is bad, but un-detailed hyperviolence is ok?
        I mean we had carmageddon in the 90’s, doom, quake, half life. All of those were pretty graphic in terms of the violence, especially doom and carmageddon, where splatting and swatting people into a bloody pulp was the name of the game.

• Frank says:

Yeah, it was a big turnoff for me with the first Dishonoured, too. Like, really, do we have to play an assassin and have a huge chunk of the budget spent on gory murder animations?

I still enjoyed it, particularly the part where you don’t have to go around murdering people, but the theme and marketing turned me off it for a good year or two.

• LionsPhil says:

I liked how Dishonored’s assassinations were pretty abrupt and brutal, right from the early trailer. I think it made them more impactful as being this highly agile semi-stealth figure who’d dash in past the defences, commit a murder, and flee into the night, more than just ragdolls falling down. Guards that got in the way tended to have less showboaty deaths.

I’m a bit concerned that making every kill like that is going to diminish the actual targets. Or, worse, that they’ve made the actual target kills now half-hour cutscenes packed with posing dialogue.

• KevinLew says:

Let me first say that I don’t have a problem with violence in video games. I have zero problems with Hotline Miami and the glory kills in DOOM. But I also felt a little disappointment with this trailer. First of all, there’s really no context to them. I have no idea why Emily is brutally murdering these people when they are just standing around. Also, visually graphic kills like these in games tend to be just marketing gimmicks. It’s like a movie advertisement where they show nothing but the CGI explosions.

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, playing Devil’s Advocate here…

The people “just standing around” are guards, and presumably Emily has to get through that courtyard to reach some objective. Put them in WW2 Nazi garb and say it’s Bj Blazkowicz with the same goal. Would there be any real difference if BJ strolled through the group, carving them up with dual-wield assault rifles? Maybe preceded by a few grenades?

Emily is using the skills she has available. Since the guards aren’t noticing the murdermist, there is probably a no-kill option to get past them also, but this is showing the violent one. It’s just a different form of violence than spraying bullets to accomplish the same thing.

7. causticnl says:

I kinda liked the art direction in Dishonored, but gameplay was too easy. I like my stealth games, Thief is for me still one of the best games ever. But this, its basicly a fantasy version of Bioshock, blowing up your enemies with magic. Think Ill pass on this.

• w0bbl3r says:

There is a really nice mod out there for dishonored that makes the stealth more, shall I say realistic? When you lean out, for instance, enemies will notice you in the mod, where in the game you can lean out right in front of them and they never notice you.

I tried the mod and loved it, but eventually it became just too challenging even for me when trying to manage a stealth only mission.

Aitrus says:

Harvey Smith has said in Dishonored 2 there’s an option in the menu where you can change if enemies can see you when leaning (there’s a slight delay where you’re still ‘invisible’ to enemies while you’re leaning, but stay like that beyond however long the delay is and they’ll spot you). Hopefully that feature is still there in release.

8. Von Uber says:

I wonder if it is going to have the thing where you get all these interesting ways of dismembering some zero hour contract guards trying to make a living, and then be actively punished if you use them.

Grizzly says:

I didnt feel punished, rather that the game adapted itself to my playstyle by giving me more things to fight. The outsider is not judging you either way.

If anything, going for the darkest of endings lets you save the wales.

• Wulfram says:

Apparently you’ll be punished to some degree, but how much will depend on whether the guard is a nice person or not.

(Which in the case of guards etc will be random and found out via the heart)

Aitrus says:

Yes, yes, if you play as a psychopathic mass murderer the game still treats you as one.

• MrUnimport says:

Is it being a psychopathic mass murderer to take a couple dozen or so human lives in order to remove a tyrant from the throne?Is it being a psychopathic mass murderer to use lethal force on people who are about to use it on you, when the mission is so critically important? Do psychopathic mass murderers get punished by an abstract increase in plague and suffering as well as their faraway daughter figure becoming slightly more evil with each shot fired?

• Frank says:

Yes, and in the game.

• Chemix says:

Many tyrants came from overthrowing previous tyrants by murderous means (see military coup/ junta governments) Also the suffering and plague increases are not abstract, they are a direct result of the increase in death. For each person you kill in dishonored two things happen; a body is added to the pile for the rats to feed on and spread the plague. Two, each guard you kill probably has a family which will be devastated by their loss financially leading them to rash decisions and increase thus increases chaos, the good/bad meter of the game which makes sense.

Now what doesn’t make sense is the shear abundance of ways to kill people vs ways to incapacitate them. I’d say it’s a more challenging game trying to achieve 0 kills, but I’d also point out that it probably isn’t as fun. The game seems designed around lethality, and I hope that’s not the case for the next one

Ericusson says:

Right, then again the first thing shown is a kind os shadowy wraith dismembering soldiers.
            Sure looks like the devs understood whatcha just said.

• LionsPhil says:

By the expansions, there were quite a lot of nonlethal tools. Choke dust in particular was pretty good, IIRC, because it could cause amnesia.

Also, find and equip the bone charms that make you better at hugging people and tucking them into bed. Makes it flow a lot better.

Aitrus says:

The game isn’t going to be very hard on you if you’re only taking a couple dozen or so lives. And yes, when you become murderous, the people around you are affected by it, especially impressionable children. No man is an island and all that.

• w0bbl3r says:

What I thought was silly in the first game was that it gave you loads of toys for killing and assassinating, let you go around slaughtering all these guards just doing their job, but then penalised you if you killed the actual target, preferring you to send them off to some “fate worse than death” slogging in their own mine or something.

Saying that, I did love the game, just found that totally stupid and irritating at times

• kament says:

Uh, no. The first game rates your playstyle depending on what you do with not just targets, but all Dunwall denizens. That is, if you go on killing spree and then decide to spare the actual target(s), you still get high chaos in the end. And nice little cameos along the way.

9. kament says:

I liked the one with Corvo (that one with the Heart and time-travel) much better. This is just… meh.

Also, it was somewhat disappointing to learn that Emily’s alt-form is a rat. I thought it was, like, murdermist or something. Oh well. They still have a lot of time to hype me up.

Aitrus says:

It’s not a rat form, Ms Jessica is totally off about that. Murdermist is much more accurate.

• kament says:

Thanks. And here I was thinking guards didn’t see Emily in that form because of a bug.

Ericusson says:

So … what’s the difference between that and Assassin’s Creed and Bioshock ?
    Oh wait, none.

They ARE clones !
    Who knew.

• Meneldil says:

Assassin’s Creed? Have you already played any of the three games you’re talking about? If I admit Bioshock and Dishonored are sometimes close, Assassin’s Creed got nothing to do with them.

• fenriz says:

for god sake, the video shows swift assassinations and acrobatics, plus there are moves and spells.

How’s that not a clone of the titles the person named???

and i would add Crysis to the list.

• Fenixp says:

Aside from story, gameplay, mechanics and visuals, they’re identical!

• Nibblet says:

Have you seen the base code for those games? All 1’s and 0’s. Both of them! They are totally identical.

• fenriz says:

Yeah. All the mainstream games seem to be a simulation of torture, what with all the tools and moves to inflict pain.

Just what is wrong with gaming world???!

11. michelangelo says:

This is pretty much the only big game I am looking forward to. Yet I was absolutely target audience, its predecessor didn’t work for me. Mostly for its anti—immersive mute puppet situtations. This one is, at the other hand—very different story. Emily have already all my smypathy, as well as early game no magic tricks choise option and speak skill that she was endowed ♥

12. kael13 says:

Yeah, no thanks. Dishonoured was always such a vomit simulator and this looks no different. At least there’s a new Deus Ex to play!

AutonomyLost says:

It’s impressive they chose to offer PC footage.

14. fenriz says:

everything looks so good. that’s why it’s so sad that the gameplay still is final fight arcade-like.

15. PancakeWizard says:

“Skillz”

Dear God…

16. tonicer says:

Lol gamepadgameplay … they should have gotten StealthGamerBR to play the demo with a proper input device … m&kb.

But don’t take my word for his awesomeness in choreographing dishonored combat.

I just leave these links here. :)

link to youtube.com