Deus Ex Mankind Divided Patch 2 Fixes Mouse Oddities

A second PC patch has been released for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, hopefully leaving fewer players divided (do you see, because “divided” is in the title of the game) over the annoying mouse issues, as well as other tidying up.

I’m not entirely sure what is going on with DXMD’s mouse acceleration. But then I’m never entirely sure whenever some manner of jiggerypokery is going on – just that something is wrong. It was abundantly clear to me when starting the game that something was wrong.

But then, it seems, after a bit I acclimatise to such things and it’s the next game I play that feels all screwy. Anyway, fixed in the latest update is both the very silly lack of precise mouse sensitivity settings, and the ability to set the X and Y axes’ sensitivity separately. Oh, and we’ve been entrusted with the knowledge of exactly what number field of view we’re getting. They were all very odd things not to be in place at launch.

Also mended is my favourite bug in the game, the completely bizarre way Jensen would slow down to a crawl when ‘sprinting’ up or down stairs, but keep his crazy augmented fists pumping anyway! (Has any game ever had such a hilariously dreadful sprint animation? I know of none.) Boo to that silliness being fixed, because it made me laugh every time.

Here’s the full list of fixes:

Adjustments to the Mouse Sensitivity settings, which mean that you can now set sensitivity for the X and Y axis separately.
Increased range of Mouse Sensitivity settings.
Fixed an issue that could cause missing geometry in the Dubai level.
Fixed an issue with player movement and running on stairs and sloped surfaces.
Fixed various issues with 21:9 setups.
Fixed an issue where the “Unmark All” prompt would stay on screen.
Field of view setting now displays the angle used.

Now, if they can just fix Adam Jensen being such an unlikable and smarmy prick, the game will be well away!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Andy_Panthro says:

I had a weird issue when I first was in Prague (at the train station), where NPCs kept on appearing out of nowhere, or standing still for ages, or interacting with missing objects (one guy swiping his hand rather than a phone).

Very distracting, for what I assume was supposed to be an important bit of the plot? (I assume it was important, because I couldn’t actually do very much other than look around a bit, it was basically a cutscene).

Andy_Panthro says:

Forgot to mention people walking through one another! As I said, very distracting. Can’t remember anything the woman I was with was saying, except for something about Juggernaut which I didn’t really understand.

gritz says:

So they didn’t actually give the option of using raw, unaccelerated mouse input. Just changes to the sensitivity options.

• ComradeSnarky says:

Yes, this story is quite confusing. The title and first two paragraphs suggest that mouse acceleration has been fixed, but that does not appear to be the case.

• Tiax says:

Can’t change for both x and y axis.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I still don’t understand how anyone thinks that sliding-through-molasses is a good feel for mouse controls. Mess with the gamepad inputs all you like, but first person games really demand 1:1 mouse movement.

• ResonanceCascade says:

There is no mouse acceleration to turn off. People just latched onto that term as a catch-all for “mouse feeling I don’t like.”

cheese lol says:

I suspect that’s true as well and if so, it’s really dumb and dogmatic. “Mouse acceleration” is an actual thing which is named and quantifiable, like “sensitivity”, “smoothing”, and “latency”.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, the early reports about mouse acceleration had me scared, because I absolutely cannot stand it. I let out a big sigh of relief when I tested for it and it wasn’t there.

The sensitivity slider was indeed broken, though, so I’m glad they’re fixing that.

cheese lol says:

Honestly, I feel like they did a really good job with the PC version and don’t get enough credit for the things they do better than most other PC games. The game feels responsive at high frame rates and gives enough flexibility in its visual quality to achieve those framerates consistently. It lets users specify windowed, borderless windowed, and exclusive fullscreen (with an arbitrary refresh rate!). It lets me bind backspace and delete so I can play it with my weird keyboard. It also respects Windows’ gamma curve so the game appears color-correct when software gamma calibration is needed.

• clippa says:

Yes, mr cheese. I didn’t notice any mouse acceleration at all myself. Just the usual shoddy port “nasty leftover from translating pad controls, low y axis sensitivity shenanigans”.
          It was the only thing that was keeping me from playing, but otherwise, this is anything other than a shoddy port. Everything else is spot on.

cheese lol says:

If you experience undefeatable mouse acceleration, do something about it like posting a video of it to actually document the issue. Tons of people are claiming it exists but many others, myself included, cannot reproduce any mouse acceleration at all.

3. Baron Bacon V says:

Better. Still not great. The unmark all prompt was really annoying, as was the mouse acceleration. Just fix the flickering shadows and the shit performance and the game will be playable!

4. Banks says:

My game crashes all the time at the end of mission 14 and I can’t keep playing. Apparently it’s a common bug, so I hope that it gets fixed soon.

This sucks.

5. aircool says:

Just thought I’d barge in a share my evening. Before I went to plant that device you get at the start into the big computer server mainframe thing (first proper mission) and after I’d finished the first four side missions, I decided to take a walk around the bank…

I took a few wrong turns and poked my nose into areas where I shouldn’t have.

Took me ages to get out alive, it was like a whole evening of Die Hard! All the floors had been totally wrecked by security trying to kill me and I had to go all ‘Alien’ on their arses, but in the end, I strolled out of the bank in one piece. All that was missing was the ‘walking away in slow motion from exploding building’.

At least I can sprint up and down stairs now, although, have you ever tried to sprint down stairs? Not easy.

6. suibhne says:

Post-patch, and mouse control still feels like trash. I don’t get it. I’m not about to claim there’s acceleration, but the overall tracking is just…poor. I was so frustrated that I fired up DX:HR for comparison, and indeed, the earlier game feels far smoother (and allows a much more usable FOV to boot).

I’m not sure what else to try at this point, but it’s like swimming in molasses. I suppose I’ll wait for the DX12 support and any more near-term patches while tools like Flawless Widescreen and support for more flexible FOV settings.

• suibhne says:

This is on me, apparently. Well, no, it’s still on the game – but I forgot that DX:HR mouse control was also trash with vsync enabled, and the same is true in the followup. Many games play nice with vsync – DOOM and Wolf are both great examples – but these two DX games are practically unplayable with it ticked on (at least on my setup). I’ve now limited frames in the nVidia Control Panel, and mouse control is totally adequate.

7. renzollama says:

Finally, somebody else who noticed the absurdly comical juxtaposition between the plodding sprint pace and the crazy cocaine-exaggerated arm swings. I giggled every single time it happened…this is gone now?

8. geldonyetich says:

I’m impressed with the speed they added a control to independently adjust both mouse axis. It’s not much on paper, but these things tend to get bogged down in Q&A purgatory for a much longer duration.

On a personal note, I’ve found Mankind Divided to run much better on my desktop after I resolved a glitch which cut my RAM down from 8 to 3.9GB. Overclocking gone awry, I think.

9. faircall says:

Loving the game, and not having any issues with the mouse, but:
    Jensen runs like Steven Seagal.

10. batraz says:

For the guys with the mousy hair ?

11. Suits says:

Sweet, I will now play it

12. Asrahn says:

Now if they could only resolve the travel-crashes that has spawned some 17 pages on the Steam forums.

link to steamcommunity.com

I’d honestly love to be able to continue my game.

13. thebwt says:

Anyone else really annoyed by the quickload while bhind cover thing?

When you load, it’s ‘press space to continue’. For me that translates to loading into Jensen darting up to the next piece of cover, usually into a mine or turret.

My work around is to not quicksave while in cover mode, but… man it’s annoying.

Gnarl says:

Yes, I have noticed that and it is a tad annoying. I find if I press back (‘s’) at the same time as space it tends to be recoverable, however.

14. DeepFried says:

Why is it every AAA game release has terrible mouse support and a sensitivity slider that assumes you’re using a low DPI mouse when 99% of people playing the game will have a gaming mouse.

Its one of those eternal mysteries. I feel if we ever work out why this is, the universe will just fold up to the size of a pea and pop out of existence.

• suibhne says:

Ugh, this. I was a semi-competitive gamer 10+ years ago, which means my routine on first launching just about every AAA game in the last decade has been to lower mouse sens to about 3% of the slider.

DOOM was a rare exception, and it was an unlooked-for pleasure to find a game that basically had logical, solid moise performance right out of the box.

• TASc says:

All these years, I thought only I did this. For windows my mouse DPI is about 2000, but for any gaming profiles, it always sits at 800.

15. hippyjon says:

Does anyone else think that maybe the reason they’re sticking with Adam Jensen in these games is because he looks a bit like Keanu Reeves? He’s also the same sort of vacuous character he tends to play.

16. ricardofx says:

Pls fix the TRAIN STATION loading scene crash!
    i usually play in ultra, but if i turn everything to low the crash/issue still happens. All my drivers are updated, game build 524.10
    you can see the crash in this video at 1’34 min.

17. ricardofx says:

waiting for a new patch fix.

18. TASc says:

Has anyone found a way to remove his sunnies in all conversations?

Comment on this story