GOG Connect: More DRM-Free Games For Steam Owners

Boffo!

GOG Connect is a pleasant little scheme from the DRM-free digital distributor, letting people who own certain games on Steam get GOG versions too for free. Now it’s back. GOG today launched another round of GOG Connect, with another seventeen games for Steamers to redeem. Because, y’know, it’s nice to have a DRM-free backup without buying a game twice. The lineup this time includes Hotline Miami, The Last Federation, the Shadow Warrior reboot, X Rebirth, and Teslagrad.

Oh, and GOG has launched another big sale too.

So! If you own an eligible game on Steam, by connecting your Steam account to your GOG account (a simple login) you can get a copy added free to your GOG account too. The GOG versions don’t include any DLC and you won’t have access to things like the Steam Workshop but hey, you will be able to play them offline without faff until the stars boil away.

The new GOG Connect lineup is AI War: Fleet Command, Anno 1404: Gold Edition, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Cossacks Anthology, Dex, Hit Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore a Fedora, Hotline Miami, The Last Federation, Olliolli, Shadow Warrior (the new one), Teslagrad, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut, The Masterplan, Two Worlds Epic Edition, X: Gold, X Rebirth, and Ziggurat.

Head on over to GOG Connect to get started. You will need to set your Steam profile to be publicly visible for the process, but you can set it private again afterwards and still keep the games on GOG. GOG Connect isn’t a permanent fixture, mind. This will only be offered for a while. If you want to do this, do it now before you forget.

It’s been a few months since the last round of GOG Connect, longer than I suppose I was expecting. GOG said a few months back that they were giving the program a good looking-over before it returned, though they don’t say quite what the (potential?) problems were. This second round seems to run basically the same as the first, mind.

As for the GOG ‘Back to School Sale 2016’, that’s all over their front page.

From this site

1. mukuste says:

Doesn’t really work for me… I set my profile to public, but it still doesn’t find any eligible games.

• Frank says:

Same for me. Wish they’d fix this, as the problem’s been there since the beginning.

• Nerdy Suit says:

At least I’m not the only one. I tried it last time and I couldn’t get a single game to work. I’ll try again, but if GOG is going to advertise this as feature, they should probably make sure it works first.

• mukuste says:

Huh! Worked now. Guess there was just too much demand. Maybe give it another spin, guys.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, it was overloaded servers causing the problem when they first rolled out the service, too – waiting a bit clears up the problem.

• Nerdy Suit says:

Still doesn’t work for me. I can only click “refresh” so many times before I lose interest and don’t care anymore. IMO, it’s pretty irresponsible of GOG to tout a “feature” that only works for half of their customers, half of the time. At some point, they need to fix whatever the problem is.

gritz says:

The problem is insane demand. Maybe wait a day or two like a reasonable person?

• Nerdy Suit says:

I did last time they did this. Still didn’t work. Maybe not make a snarky ass comment, like a reasonable person? Considering this is the second time they’re advertising this feature, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect it to work. Sorry I ruffled your GOG fanboy feathers.

• AngoraFish says:

Sounds like a POBCAK problem to me.

• Unclepauly says:

Nerdy suit, seems like you’re the one with scruffled feathers. An extra layer of skin goes a long way.

2. Zekiel says:

This is really nice. But I don’t really understand what’s in it for GoG. Surely this means that if you want any of these games and care about them being DRM free, you can now happily buy them on Steam and get them DRM free via GOG Connect. Whereas before you’d have an incentive to buy them on GOG even if the price was a bit higher than Steam. What’s in it for GOG? Just the general free publicity and garnering-of-goodwill?

• Llewyn says:

Likewise. It would seem to make far more sense the other way around, with GOG giving DRM-free copies plus Steam keys as Humble do where possible.

It’d also make far more sense for users like me who would prefer to consolidate all the games in a single launcher while supporting multiple stores.

• thenevernow says:

This would be ideal. Actually, ideal would be a unified, platform-neutral key system. But if it has to be Steam keys, I’m still happy.

• ButteringSundays says:

“Just the general free publicity and garnering-of-goodwill?” This is likely a big part of it.

I also suspect that they gather a lot of valuable data, as they get a better picture of the games you like to play – which could lead into more targeted marketing.

It also means they can inflate some of their statistics which is likely handy for investment related activities.

• mattevansc3 says:

Why do publishers release demos or digital platforms give out free games?

If all you are used to is DRM and closed platforms like Steam then the incentives of GoG have little tangible meaning.

To get an understanding of those incentives you have to have experience of them. Giving away free copies of games you already own gives potential users the opportunity to sample GoG with games they enjoy.

It gets people on the platform and once there they are more likely to become customers.

• Collieuk says:

The more games a customer has in their account the more likely they are to use GOG galaxy and buy their next games there rather than Steam. It’s also free publicity for their platform. They probably assume it will help build customer retention and boost future sales. Something along those lines I’d imagine.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I agree with Collieuk. This move (slightly) undermines the biggest advantage Steam has: the convenience of a single library, pretty much independent from the retailers. It could be argued that it’s just a drop in the sea and that a push towards a competitive alternative library would require a massive effort on GOG’s part, but it’s something. As others mentioned, the publicity stunt is already there: “See, we allow you to download ‘their’ games from ‘our’ store, you can’t do the opposite!* You can put your drm free games on your workplace PC without the Steam Client! Visit our site more often!”
        Also, the Steam automatic updates that a lot of people hate work differently on GOG. If you don’t like the patched version of a game, just don’t download the patch and keep a copy of the old version in your hard drive.

*Well, you can play them from the Steam launcher, but you have to manually download, install and uninstall them. Plus, you have to tell Steam where each game is.

RaveTurned says:

It gets more Steam users opening GOG accounts, and more games in the libraries of Steam users who already have GOG accounts.

These people already own digital copies of these games, so they’re unlikely to re-buy it digitally somewhere else. By giving them away for free, GOG Connect engages new users without losing potential sales.

Once people have larger game libraries on GOG, they may consider using GOG’s new-ish download client Galaxy and find it’s a lot nicer than the old system of downloading setup files. They may also consider buying more games through GOG in the future because they have a decent library of games there now, and because the user experience is better than it used to be.

• Nihilexistentialist says:

You don’t own games on Steam so this actually gives you a chance to do so.

• Nerdy Suit says:

It helps GOG capture market share. It’s a shame that it doesn’t work for a lot of people though. A cool feature that’s been broken since the beginning.

• Jalan says:

Hasn’t been “broken from the beginning” – it’s worked, just as long as you aren’t one of the people climbing over thousands of others to do it at the same time. Even now (or 10 minutes ago) I was able to redeem The Masterplan through it without any grief and when they unveiled it, I was able to redeem all but five games I didn’t otherwise have through it.

• C0llic says:

What’s in it for them is its a nice way of introducing people to their platform and giving them a reason to use it. Part of the reason steam is so dominant is no one wants to juggle multiple accounts for online retailers.

This gives GOG a benign way of nudging people and saying ‘Hey, we’re here too, you know. Since you have an account that already has some games on it, why not consider buying from here instead?’

3. ghossttman says:

“GOG Connect isn’t a permanent fixture”

Just to clear up any any potential confusion, GOG Connect (as in, the linking of accounts) is a permanent fixture, while the connecting of the listed games is time limited.

4. malkav11 says:

There are at least two games that I own on Steam, don’t own on GOG, and that are on the current list of supported games that it’s not detecting. I can’t figure out why. (Dex and The Masterplan).

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

It happened to me as well, just keep trying and it should work. It’s a server overload thingy, they say.

• Optimaximal says:

Yeah, first time around it didn’t detect The Masterplan, but then it worked 5 minutes later. I think their API code has trouble reading the complete list of a users games during busy periods.

5. Simbosan says:

Doesn’t work at all, the steam login url is broken

6. harcalion says:

I am recalling the idea GOG had of allowing multiplayer with Steam games (with even a working test of Alien Vs Predator 2000 Gold last year). This linking of accounts could be the first required step for enabling cross-play of additional games or even deploying the final full connectivity between GOG (I seem to remember that Galaxy wasn’t required for this) and Steamworks.

7. Banks says:

GOG is the best. I’m glad they exist and I hope they become a bigger force in the near future.

8. Hobbes says:

For me, every time they do this, it makes me more inclined to move over to GOG. Little by little, more of the games I regularly play are now DRM free, and thus I don’t have to deal with Steam. Steam becomes “optional” as opposed to “necessary”, that’s a big shift for me. If enough of my regular rotation is on GOG, then I may be inclined to move over to Galaxy as my primary client with Steam something I use not quite as often.

9. frogulox says:

As a potential issue; can you purchase all the games on steam, link GOG, redeem drmfree goods, refund purchases on steam, profit?

• Jalan says:

Read the third point in their FAQ:

“Do I get to keep my game on GOG.com forever?

Yes. Once you have imported a game and own it on Steam, it’s yours to keep for good. If a game is removed from your Steam account for any reason, such as through manual deletion or a refund – we reserve the right to remove the games from your GOG.com library.

Setting your Steam account to Private after connecting will not cause your games to be removed.”

10. MajorLag says:

You know, one of these days someone should make a frontend that organizes all your digital game store accounts into one interface. Like Pidgin, but for game libraries. That’d be a lot nicer than juggling Steam, Origin, Desura, GoG Galaxy, and itch. Of course there’s no profit motive to get companies to cooperate with that sort of thing, so it’ll never happen, but a man can dream right?