Elder Scrolls: What The Next Game Needs To Fix

With Skyrim’s Special Edition managing to feel not that special, it’s put me to thinking about what it is I want from the next Elder Scrolls game. What are the features I would love to see in The Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell? What are the series’ tropes that could use a tweak? I’ve expounded on this below.

Restarting Skyrim in its marginally better engine with its equally dreadful NPCs, it’s hard to entirely settle back into a once-familiar game and enjoy it all over again. Five years is a long time in gaming, and with what I can only ascribe to Bethesda’s singular dedication, they’ve made a special effort to preserve all the bugs and weaknesses of the original release, rather than fix them like a lesser developer might think to do. So this is a game that not only feels a bit ragged (albeit occasionally rather pretty), but one that really goes to some efforts to frustrate by still featuring all the things that were rubbish with it half a decade back. (I mean, five years to create a special edition, and at no point did anyone think to maybe even speed up the achingly dreary and agonisingly slow opening sequence.)

Of course, you could argue this is a problem even more endemic. Most of the things that are rubbish about Skyrim were rubbish about Oblivion too, which doesn’t inspire an enormous amount of hope that the team will ever eradicate the problems that plague their genuinely excellent games. It seems fair to say that Bethesda knows that any new Elder Scrolls (offline, clearly) will sell eight-hundred squillion copies even if its extraordinary open world and myriad quests were packaged with a hand that kept reaching out from the screen and poking you really hard in the eye.

It is the perennial problem with the studio, emblazoned across all their games, that they know their scope is big enough that enough people will put up with their most egregious issues for the sake of the rest of the experience. While of course there are those who apparently have made it their full-time job to inform other users of the internet that they won’t play Bethesda RPGs until those issues are fixed, for the vast majority – including me – what’s good about the games makes putting up with the rubbish bits worthwhile. I’ll pick up Hammerfell when it comes out in early 2018, and I’m increasingly convinced I’ll swallow down all those same bugs, frustrations and tiresome design decisions because of just how much there is of everything else.

But just in case, on the off-chance that Simon Bethesda is reading this, here are my dreamy wishes for what might get changed in that next edition.

Just some effort on character faces

There is extraordinary talent at Bethesda. That can’t be said enough, and as flawed as they clearly are, their games are ambitious and embellished like nothing else out there. But obviously there’s an office instruction manual with the page for “Spend a bit of time making people not look really ridiculous” fallen out. It’s probably behind the solid gold ceiling high trophy cabinet, just too heavy for anyone to move. And each time they get the game finished before remembering, “Oh no! The missing page!”, then realise they’re late for swimming in gold.

But the effect of this most peculiar of incessant issues is pretty dramatic. The Elder Scrolls games are, I’m pretty convinced, holding themselves back from being far more absorbing and impactful by making everyone you encounter, everyone you help, hurt or kill, look completely silly. Which brings me to….

Maybe spend a bit more money on voice actors?

Because combined with their daft faces, when they open their mouths it’s impossible to take anything seriously. Sure, they’ll hire someone who was famous two years previously for a TV show to do a voice for someone near the start, but then apparently the rest are done by half-trained parakeets, madly squawking lines written by their patented Cliche Machine 3000.

And it does so much damage to these amazing countries. These places into which I only ever feel like I’m immersed when either on my own, or with only skellingtons for company. The moment you walk into a town, or bump into a travelling goofball on the roads, all the illusion is shattered and it’s, “Oh yeah, I’m playing a dumb game.”

If these NPCs felt alive, by pulling facial expressions previously seen on humans, and speaking like people instead of screaming pantomime villains, then imagine how much more empathy you’d feel, how much more engrossing it could be. Maybe the things you’re doing would start to matter, rather than just be the reason you’re having fun over there.

Don’t have loading times for going in tiny buildings

Look, I don’t know how games are made. I assume it’s something to do with witchcraft and crisps. So I don’t have a good understanding of the technical demands of an engine, and why it’s apparently capable of offering me an entire country to wander around without pause, but needs to go to the load screen to walk into a one-room house. But gosh, I wish it wouldn’t. Honestly, I’d rather a loading pause every now and then in the wider world than having to feel my heart sink when I realise I’ve accidentally clicked on the exit and have to now see at least another three loading screens before I’m done with this shed.

Have a human use your user interface

Clearly space robots have a very different desire for menus and user interfaces from humans. Space robots have no use for aesthetic appeal, and can operate multi-tiered structures in microseconds. Unfortunately, it’s clear that Bethesda has always entrusted the menu design and interface choices to their team of cruelly enslaved space robots and forgotten to have one of their evil human overlords take a peak before release. I mean, I literally cannot think of a more realistic explanation for the monstrosities they produce.

I strongly suggest that for TESVI, they do a form of “focus testing”, where they find a human being – perhaps someone they met in a Starbucks – and ask them to use the interface without previous instruction. This process should be recorded on video, so that the team can then watch back for all the occasions the human picked up the keyboard or mouse and threw it at the monitor, shouting, “WHAT ON EARTH? SERIOUSLY? WHO WOULD EVER THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?” And then attempt to make adjustments.

Let me break stuff

I know this is pretty trivial, but it really does stick out like a sore knee. I’m equipped with a bloody enormous sword (fnarr), and this is a world liberally decorated with pots and urns, and yet the two cannot meet. It doesn’t stop me from trying. But my greatsword swings uselessly past their incorporeal clay and I move on, despondent. Smashing stuff in games is good. The next Elder Scrolls game should definitely want to include good stuff.

Get a little bit darker

While you couldn’t really accuse the series of being an upbeat romantic comedy, I think there’s room for TES to find a deeper, more meaningful darkness. It’s interesting to go back to the game five years on, in what historians will eventually call a “Post Game Of Thrones Era”, and realise the potential for a more mature approach to the games. I don’t mean boobs and willies and the obligatory whorehouse, I mean more complex, more possibly unsettling themes. Storylines that have perhaps even more courage, more desire to speak to the player – not moralise, not even allegorise – just feel like they have something they are burning to say. It has felt too fluffy to me, even in the hell-like world of Oblivion, too shallow and courteous. I want a bit of rage, a bit of imposing danger. And I’d especially love it if that narrative could entwine itself more convincingly in the billions of discovered quests, allow you to put chilling flesh onto the non-obligatory bones. Just a far greater emphasis on storytelling betwixt and around its incredible openness and freedom.

Have a godforsaken FOV slider in your options

That.

In conclusion

The Elder Scrolls games are really great, apart from all the loads and loads of ways they’re not. And that creates such an interesting response from players and non-players-afflicted-with-a-curse-to-tell-everyone-in-the-whole-world-that-they-aren’t-playing alike. There is outcry at how a game that fails at one or other of these listed flaws gets such broad acceptance and celebration, which is to fail to realise how others appreciate things differently from oneself. Heck, it’s possible to buy Skyrim just as an expansive horse-riding simulator, and have a tremendous time despite doing nothing else.

If it fails at the aspect that’s most important to you, then yes, gosh, what a disappointment. And no, it’s really not good enough that they so egregiously fail, nor indeed that they launch with so many outrageous bugs. The games remain amazing, but the criticism is deeply important. (It’s why scores are stupid, see?) We remain insistent that Bethesda must do better, and reject the notion that it’s important to respect their audience’s expectations of bug fixes and the like. (A tolerance that will expire one day, no matter how much they think it might not.)

The next game will, I’m sure, be fascinating. I desperately hope that Fallout 4’s relative disappointment won’t affect a new TES, different teams and all that. The fear would be that they realise just how much they can get away with and yet still see such huge sales, but let’s hope not. Let’s hope they stretch themselves in new ways, broaden their ambitions beyond scope and scale into finishing the vital details too.

There are three other key things that should be included or amended in The Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell, and I’ve not listed them here so that you can enjoy realising, nod sagely at my deliberate decision, and then write up in your own words below without feeling the need to precede them with phrases like, “Why didn’t you mention…” and “How could you not care about…” Gosh, you’d look silly if you did that now!

From this site

1. carewolf says:

No linear dungeons.. Get rid of dungeons on rails. Linear dungeons have no place in an open-world RPG, and you should fire any designer making them, preferably out of a cannon.

Bonus: By doing so you also avoid having to do the stupid klein bottle dungeon designs, as the shortest return path in a well-designed location/dungeon isn’t very long.

• KingFunk says:

At least they hand-built the dungeons in Skyrim (as I recall) rather than having randomly generated caves like (I remember) Oblivion having. Definitely felt like more authorial control was exercised, anyhow.

As a general thought, the Witcher 3 managed at least a couple of the points made in the article, but I don’t think dungeon design was much better than Skyrim…

Thing is, I play TES for the blank canvas of acting out a moody fisherwoman who keeps getting pestered by people with GODDAMN menial problems they keep shouting about (as an example). I play Witcher games for the drama and narrative. They look similar on the surface, but really they are quite different…

• Conundrummer says:

No level design in an Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall (1996) has been “randomly generated”. It’s all designed by hand, exactly like any other first person shooter, using bits and bobs dragged into a 3d viewplace. Containers -can- be randomized, but usually aren’t.

Oblivion was just poorly designed in general; caves, Ayleid ruins, and all… but at the time, we were just happy to have ragdoll and functioning traps, compared to the static, unmoving environments of Morrowind.

It just wasn’t clear that we’d have to sacrifice in-depth lore and a fascinating narrative for those features.

Edit: Also, “Klein bottle dungeon design” is a brilliant analogy, from the first post. Still, I wonder what “non-linear” dungeon solutions the poster had in mind.

• gollum_krumen says:

I suppose he means multiple access points that connect the dungeon in a geometrically correct way to the surface. I could imagine that these are quiet complicated though, as the map needs to be implemented to the world map. Skyrim dungeons can be just placed 300 km in the air, as an own instance is loaded when entering/exiting dungeons.

On second thought, this could atill be the case with multiple entries.They would just somehow have to be approximately on the right spots in the real map.

• Jason Moyer says:

The dungeons in Oblivion weren’t randomly generated, but they were clearly designed by taking a very limited set of identical sections and rearranging them in different ways to create varying layouts. Once you’ve visited a few similar locations you’ve basically seen every possible room layout that’s in the game. There are a couple “Cave” rooms that can be pieced together in different ways, a couple “Ayelid Ruin” sections, a couple “Imperial Sewer” sections and so on.

While not literally randomly generated, the end result is hand-designed dungeons that feel like they were procedurally generated a’la the levels in Torchlight or something.

• Arkayjiya says:

It’s my understanding that some dungeons in Oblivion absolutely were randomly generated, that was even one of the marketing point before Skyrim’s release that they wouldn’t do the same shit this time around.

The dungeons in Oblivion were not different for every player or playthrough, they were exactly the same for everybody, but the dev who created them did throw a bunch of seeds in a generator to find an acceptable proto-dungeon before finishing them manually (not all of them were done that way of course but still) which they (allegedly) didn’t do for Skyrim.

• Conundrummer says:

Your understanding is mistaken. None of these games have random dungeon creating AIs or algorithms that make traps and paths and such. The closest thing to “randomization” are the Oblivion gates that appear out in the wild, and they connect to one of only seven “random” Oblivion areas (i.e. “rooms with lava on the floor”) and their sigil towers, which are one of four variations.

If you go onto a Wiki for an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game (something I almost assume everyone does by default), you will literally see rundowns of every single dungeon, room, and test chamber, and what they all contain. It’s all handmade.

Oblivion felt even more boring because back then because it was designed for machines (consoles, even) over a DECADE ago, when you couldn’t use as many art assets, so of course everything looks like it’s made from the same 30 ayleid/oblivion/imperial/etc. room chunks. It’s still entirely handmade, as is Morrowind, as is Skyrim, and Fallout 3, NV, and 4, for what it’s worth.

What’s amusing is that Daggerfall actually DID have entirely randomized, procedural dungeon creation! However, it’s something people still bitch and whine about to this day, because it often made things a confusing mess.

• Cleave says:

I never really got very far in Skyrim, kept changing my mind and starting again until it eventually went on the to do list. I’ve been playing the special edition this week and I’m actually blown away by how interesting a lot of the dungeons are compared to Oblivion, a lot of them seem unassuming but then lead to cool stories or full blown multi level dungeons with puzzles and boss fights. For all that people complain about Bethesda’s writing I’m finding a lot of variety in Skyrim.

• Morph says:

Linear dungeon design does stop you traipsing back and forth over areas you’ve already been though. I used to get annoyed in Skyrim if I had to choose a left or right path, because either way I’d be going to the boss or a dead end, then I’d have to come all the way back again.

• carewolf says:

That is only if it is still a mostly linear design. Imagine a palace actually designed like a palace. Tons of side-doors and side corriders, most of them connected to each other, and with it also being pretty obvious where king or the kitchen would be.

• Archonsod says:

They had multiple entry dungeons in Daggerfall. They sucked.

The most important thing about TES’s dungeons is that you should be able to get from A to B in no longer than 30 minutes and come out safe in the knowledge that you haven’t overlooked any important artefacts, treasure troves or similar. Probably the best thing about Skyrim’s dungeons is that for the most part, if it were longer than a couple of rooms and a corridor they had some means of looping you quickly back to the exit rather than having you trudge through some tedious corridors to get back out.

To be honest I wouldn’t actually care if they just ditched the dungeons altogether given they’re usually the weakest part of the games, I mean it’s never made sense that just about everyone and their dog chooses underground tunnel networks to stash their important artefacts in, or how every evil necromancer type seems to live in a cave rather than using their evil powers and ill gotten gains for a nice comfy mansion or the like. Quite why they can’t use that wonderful, big open world to have sensible, above ground locations for such things I don’t know.

• Superpat says:

I agree, there could be some much nicer towers involved. Or maybe weirder structures like that moon/asteroid in morrowind.

• Jason Moyer says:

I dunno about anyone else, but in my last save game, the necromancers were all hanging out by a lake that my Hearthfire house was overlooking.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

In Skyrim there was always some absurd loop back to the entrance. In MW you could just recall to some temple from the dungeon.

• Blake Casimir says:

THIS For goodness sakes this.

So many AAA games forsake depth for breadth. Skyrim is very much guilty of this.

For someone that grew up with Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall, Morrowind (FFS ES games used to have decent or even interesting dungeons!!), Hexen, King’s Field, Dungeon Master… it’s SAD that there are not only almost no first person RPGs being made any more, but the only high-profile one out there – Skyrim – has predictable, repetitious, linear, boring dungeons.

Dungeons & Darkness is a reasonable attempt to make a modern first person dungeon crawl but there needs to be more.

• psysal says:

People complain a lot about the Skyrim dungeons but…

They are excellent.

Every dungeon has a distinct idea behind it, none of them are “run through corridors hacking enemies.”

Think back to the dungeon with caged tigers, the underground shipwreck, the dungeon where you eventually find a castle underground with light streaming down, the bear cave with that central spire thing, the bandit cave where you can sneak by underwater then eventually escape by jumping into an underground lake, the necromancer castle sunken under a lake, the sewer level connecting as a back entrance to the thieve’s guild area, and just like… so many more!

I respect your opinion here (and I realize a lot of people share it) but I really, truly don’t get it!

• newc0253 says:

I dunno, occasionally you might find a dungeon with something different but I hated how 99% of them were essentially a variation on the same tomb.

• sebmojo says:

the previous poster just said that’s not true, and they’re correct. Every dungeon has a clear theme and points of difference.

• commie says:

The previous poster is full of it then.Anyone withh a brain can see that the dungeons,caves etc. are all the same cut pasta jobs with a handful of main quest exceptions and even those tend to recycle assets.

• newc0253 says:

Well, if every single dungeon had such “a clear theme”, then it’s surprising how 99% of them involved shitloads of Draugr.

hemmer says:

The clear theme being “shitloads of Draugr”, obviously.

Personally my gripes weren’t so much the dungeons but that the story was even more shit than Oblivion, which at least had some amazing side quests.

2. ResonanceCascade says:

Rejigger the character development system so there’s some specialization again. In Skyrim, every build is just a fightermagethief.

• Tacroy says:

More than making specialization a viable strategy, Bethesda should put some amount of effort in to actual, discoverable mechanics that people can understand but not immediately exploit.

Morrowind and Oblivion had hilariously opaque levelling and enemy scaling systems that just didn’t make any sense – IIRC, the optimal strategy in both Oblivion and Morrowind was to make your primary skills things you never use, in order to control your level. So in response, Skyrim did away with every non-combat skill. Great work fixing that problem.

I’m pretty sure that stealth archery has been a first-order optimal strategy for about as long, with basically nothing that beats it aside from things like Morrowind’s hilariously broken spell crafting and enchantment systems.

I just want an Elder Scrolls game where I A) know what’s going to happen if I level up and B) the first kinda neat strategy I come up with doesn’t carry me through the rest of the game.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Yeah they have a habit of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Stats in Oblivion are a classic example too. They were feeling like their stat system was irrelevant, and that the ‘numbers that go up’ as Todd so eloquently put it, didn’t have a very interesting relationship with the game mechanics.

Their solution? Support the stats with more complicated mechanics? No way, – throw em all out of course!

• Otterley says:

In fact, a fightermagethief with added caps lock powers ^^

• ChrisT1981 says:

The more I Play open world games like DayZ and the like, where progression and role is handled exclusively through items, the more annyoed I get by skill and class Systems in RPGs and it get’s worse the more rigid and split up the System is.

See the whole Stats/Skills/Levels idea is a relict from pen and paper RPGs adopted in Computer games at a time where the ability to actually show things was limited. But nowadays it is a whole ‘nother deal.

As such I always loved the idea behind Oblivion and Skyrim, giving you so much freedom in how you play and progress your character. Yes the System can be “exploited” to build a jack of all trades that is a master in everything.

But to actually go for that is a problem of the player being a stat optimizing munchkin and not of the game being not restricting enough.

If it was for me to decide they’d do away with what skill and level systems are left and do it all through items and “training”:

Your Equipment defines what you can do, some equipments exclude each other, like metal armor and weapons restricting most magic and stuff like that. Extended usage of certain types of weapons/armor improves things like swing time, stamina/magicka consumption, movement Speed, you get the idea.

Trainers can teach you Special tricks (might also call them perks) that unlock bonuses or new ways to use weapons that inflict more damage.

I never quite understood how Trainers eneded up so backwards in Skyrim. Instead of just insta increasing your skill Level they should actually teach you the perks.

Your character grows in strength? Make him look more and more buff. He’s a lazy mage riding on horse back and eating too much, make him get fat to show it (GTA San Andreas did that back in the day and it was awesome imo and I always failed to see how open world RPGs did not adopt that).

3. trash_hermit says:

Also fix the Bethesda Mountains: link to youtube.com

• Jerkzilla says:

I don’t get it. How would anyone fix that? I mean, I’ve been to a bunch of mountains in real life and it’s not like you can just walk straight over the damn things. So is the problem here the fact that game logic has once again replaced common sense in the average gamer or that people just don’t know what real mountains are like?

If anything, I hope the scale of their terrain is bigger. Skyrim’s mountains look somewhat tall in well framed screenshots, but they’re still diminutive compared to the real thing. Not surprising, as the game’s entire landmass barely covers the area a 2500-3000m peak occupies at base level.

• Lyndon says:

I think they just need to have a better mini-map with clearly labels pathways. That way finding the designated path is easier than trying to bunny hop up the mountain.

• phelix says:

The problem, as I experience it, is that the mountains are essentially walls that serve to railroad you into predetermined paths between them, rather than finding your own way. Plus, the combination of their extreme height and small actual ‘footprint’ makes them look ridiculous.
        I hate this because, when taken to its logical extreme, it turns a supposed open-world game into a collection of interconnected corridors dressed up with trees and bushes.

4. falcon2001 says:

Here’s my wishlist:

1. Make ranged spellcasting more satisfying. Either have ways of keeping enemies at range or more movement abilities so you aren’t just doing the circle-strafe-hold-down-right-mouse-button thing that every spellcaster does in every TES game.

Actually, having a Fallout style ‘VATS’ spell system would be kind of interesting.

2. I actually like the basebuilding stuff that they added in fallout4 and would enjoy having it in TES VI. Do that please.

3. Dungeons on rails are pretty boring when they aren’t telling an interesting story, as others mentioned.

4. Look at games like Overwatch and Shadow Warrior 2 to see how you can make first person combat more interesting.

• Rorschach617 says:

My first play of Skyrim came after my wanderings in Fallout 3. Yes, a “VATS” style called-shot ability would be good (once some threshold had been passed.

Also, I would like cities that could accommodate more than say, a hundred people, tops.
      “This is Windhelm, the capital of Eastern Skyrim, about the size of 1 and 1/2 football pitches and most of that is Palace!”
      I would gladly take loading screens for the illusion of being in the middle of an actual city.

Linear instances are ok in their rightful place. It’s fine to pace the “Dungeon of Utter Darkness” as some one-path down to the Boss Demon-thing, but when actual houses/fortifications are linear, there’s a problem :)

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Basebuilding is nice but I could do without collecting a zillion telephones. Maybe an extended hearthfire where the inhabitans would mine ores and wood themselves.

5. Drinking with Skeletons says:

These complaints are mostly aesthetic, so let’s talk mechanics: I want more diversity within playstyles. That means I want a a magic-using character to not only feel different from a warrior or rogue build, but to feel different from another magic build. I want the different types of spells to feel different, and I want different types of weapons to feel different. Vanilla Skyrim’s best-designed skill is Archery, which is just involved enough to be enjoyable. Everything else feels very shallow and rather unengaging as a result.

• JB says:

DrinkingwithSkeletons is spot on.

• Totalitarian Vegetables says:

All of this. I bounced off Skyrim on the 360 about 2 or 3 times after getting mindlessly bored of the awful combat. I ended up finally having a proper playthrough on the PC after I opted for a ranger type character with a few mods to add to the whole thing. I’m almost never a ranged non magic user in these things, but it really was the only way to actually have any kind of variety in my combat.

Also, are you the same person from the AVaCADo?

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I am indeed the same guy!

I’m currently playing with EnaiSaion’s (or something like that) perk overhaul, which pretty much guts the existing system and replaces it with 400 new, often very different perks. Some of them are a little on the fiddly, complicated side, but there’s a ton of brilliant ones, like Shout-boosting Speech perks and enhanced elemental effects for Destruction spells.

• Totalitarian Vegetables says:

Small world. I am also the same guy. Although a different one to you. That sounds like a decent mod, the skill tree in vanilla Skyrim did very little for me. Again, archery and sneak had some fun ability based perks to get, but most stuff just being 10% increase in whatever was a bit dull. I’ll have to check that out if I get the urge to reinstall anytime soon. I have a morbid curiosity regarding complicated skill trees that I’m bound to use to create a wholly inept build thanks to my kid in a candy store approach to these things.

6. DuncUK says:

The AI characters would be much more believable – and cheaper to voice act – if they didn’t spontaneously burst into a soliloquy every time you walked anywhere near them. Nobody does that, not in real life nor in Game of Thrones. If you want me to believe in the world you have created, show and don’t tell.

Also, if you’re going to pay a variety of people to do your voice acting, for fuck sake don’t give them all the same script. link to youtube.com

7. DrollRemark says:

I’m going to buck Internet Commenter Trends here and basically just agree with your first two points. I would gladly buy a new Bethesda huge RPG if they just put some interesting characters into it. As it is, I haven’t really touched any of them since Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and I haven’t been able to get excited about what I know have been essentially the same games, with all the same old failings, since.

phuzz says:

Also, hire anyone from CD Projekt RED, hell, anyone who has so much as walked past their offices, and get them to write the side quests.
    And the main quests too while you’re at it.

• kud13 says:

This.
      About 3/4s of the suggestions can be summarized by a phrase “make it more like Witcher 3”

• Tacroy says:

God, can you imagine what CD Projekt could do if they had the resources Bethesda puts into a single Elder Scrolls game?

Wait actually I just looked it up and Witcher 3 is roughly comparable to Skyrim, at $81 million to $85 million. So that’s the answer. They could make Witcher 3.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Anything but this.

The last thing I want is any talented people from CDPR getting poached by a company that will inevitably ignore their best ideas. Let’s leave the decent studios alone so that they can continue being awesome, and let the lazy, bloated companies die, as they deserve to.

• Rich says:

I’d rather they just outsourced the whole thing to CDPR.

9. GameCat says:

1. Add battle system.
    2. Remove compass.
    3. Fix UI.
    4. Ditch 99% of fed-ex quests.

• General Advice Bot says:

Hello! First name’s Pony, last name’s Express. I am on an epic quest to save the world from mortal danger. Of course I can deliver a package to your wife.

keefybabe says:

Let’s hope they don’t “learn” anything from Fallout 4.

11. Kong says:

I played every Elder Scrolls starting with Arena. Only finished Morrowind.
    I have no hope that Bethesda will come around.
    Maybe Rockstar will create a fantasy game one day. Just for showing Bethesda how it is done.
    It is a different approach to open world having only three playable characters. But having an NPC like Trevor, maybe a whole gang of Trevors, half-orc tribe wasting away on cheap liqour in a city ghetto…
    Ach. Bethesda will be rated kindergarten for ever.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I have to agree. While I still enjoy the games I hold no hope whatsoever that Bethesda will improve on any of the issues John raises, or the thousand more I could reel off in my own head.

It’s not what they do.

• Sarfrin says:

Christ, no. Grand Theft Orcto is the last thing I want.

• foszae says:

Blech. I am so tired of the standard Rockstar plot. Gritty ultra-violence, corrupt cops, people shouting ‘nigger’ constantly. That whole winking satire where you end up suspecting they like the world that way and wouldn’t change a thing. Sure GTA V let us rotate between three unlikeable characters, but honestly i still didn’t care to see how their stories played out because of how unengaging and trite the whole thing has become. GTA is practically my go-to example of how creatively bankrupt games writing is.

• Kong says:

You are right of course. I have been playing the same GTA since, well, GTA.
        Every release had the very same elements, only more refined.
        The content is a matter of taste. I like the storymode a lot, where I play relaxed criminal Franklin, Michael “Soprano” and hilariously funny misantropic psycho Trevor.
        V is all I want of a AAA game. It feels like every buck I and other fans have spent on the series went into production value.

Playing as Trevor helps me to get over my inhibition to act the motherfucker. I tend to play the good guy in every RPG and cannot help it.
        San Andreas is a small world and very dirty. Almost like our real one.

• woodsey says:

Rockstar commit as many – if not more – cardinal sins as Bethesda in their games. I don’t know what you’re expecting them to add.

• Kong says:

GTA gets more refined with every release.
        Same old same old of course.
        But V is beautiful, huge, action on foot, in vehicles, helis and planes. Voice acting marvellous most of the time, character looks are a universe away from Bethesda, civilian reactions more varied than ever.
        Online seems to be the bomb.

I have always been a huge fan of the series. Even though it does the same like any other series: same player shoots again in more colourful ways

12. Sleepery says:

Let me remap the number pad keys you right-handed bastards!

13. wackazoa says:

I have only one issue with Skyrim. Its that the world is so vast and yet so small. What I mean is that they have told us of this lore, or even let you play their older TES games, but as someone who came in on Skyrim all I wanted to do was go to Morrowwind, High Rock, Orsinium, & Cyrodil. They didnt have to let me go to Elswyer or Summerset, Just let me see this great world beyond that mountain, or take that road beyond the gate to check out what is on the other side of the forest.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want or need GTA’s world where it is so big and packed with stuff that I cant interact with 90% of it. I really enjoyed the fact that I could go into every building or cave or fort or where ever in Skyrim. I just wanted to go a bit further. I was caught crossing the border, so let me go cross the border.

Or you know let me go to the border crossing and see some guards preventing me from going back. If your not gonna let me cross the border, at least show me a reason I cant other than an invisible wall. Make me fight invincible guards or an impassable rock slide or something. Again only real gripe about Skyrim.

• JohnPatrick says:

Bethesda did exactly this though. It’s called “Elder Scrolls Online”. You can travel from Skyrim to Morrowwind and Cyrodil and all over.

So go get the game and live the dream.

14. tslog says:

So no gameplay improvements required at all. WOW.

How about Bethesda actually make it elder scrolls games actually fun to play. Instead of worst in class melee combat, dreary one note archery and magic combat, an upgrade system that doesn’t lock you into one style, endless amounts of insanely boring traversal….

• tslog says:

I’m afraid Bethesda is going to keep the same combat styles and mechanics for the next Elder Scrolls game.
      But if they do, they should really make the combat styles easily and quickly interchangeable. That way player combat choice mixed with their worlds dynamism is always a seriously potent potential for fun. Of course the skill tree upgrade should be a lot quicker.

could also design encounters where quick combat interchangeability will be more rewarded with tactical recognition.
      And if they made their special moves more quickly discoverable then that’s anther addition of play engagement.

It’s the same play systems, but reworked and could encourage mixing of styles for more variety and hopefully dynamism.

• Raoul Duke says:

The crazy thing is that even with the massive, massive problems they have, these games are ridiculously fun. So imagine how good they’d be with everything fixed.

On the gameplay front:

1. First person combat is just awful in Skyrim. It’s basically mashing two buttons repeatedly. Could be vastly better, with some subtle building in of positioning/stance/momentum/etc, without necessarily getting over-complicated.

2. Hostile NPC behaviour is really annoying and stupid. A level 1 evil mage is not actually going to run 20 kms across the map to singlehandedly assault a level 99 warrior-god.

3. The main one for me – work really hard on making the player’s involvement in the world more dynamic. So ACTUALLY have the imperials and stormcloaks (or their Skyrim sequel analogues) fighting for territory, and actually controlling territory. Let the player come across massive battles in progress, or about to start, or just finished. Let the player’s actions have subtler effects which build up over time, rather than “YOU KILLED A CHICKEN YOU MUST DIE NOW”. Let killing important figures in the world have knock on effects (kill the Jarl somewhere, next time you come back someone else with a totally different agenda has seized power and the town has switched sides in whatever the major conflict of the day is). And have STALKER style bandits/wildlife/factions out there roaming the world (but unlike STALKER, actually finish the code properly) creating dynamic encounters with one another and you.

4. Actually populate the world. Massive cities in Skyrim have 20 inhabitants, apparently. You can walk the major highway between two capitals and pass half a dozen people if you’re lucky.

5. Do away with the awful scaling of enemies to meet the player’s level. Instead, put the onus on the player not to venture too far into dangerous territory until he/she is ready.

15. gulag says:

Go play The Witcher 3 and um… any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game, then reflect on your choices.

Oh, and Enderal, a mod for your own game that does your game better than you do.

• Arglebargle says:

Oh yeah! Those magic Germans kick Bethesda’s ass from here to Sunday.

I suspect Bethesda would rather mail it in and coast on their laurels, even if it means a bit less in sales. They’ve got a formula, it makes money, and they really don’t have to do much aside from plug in different clichés.

16. Danarchist says:

Pretty much everything I would have said, although I would have brought up combat a bit. Thing is for every hour I have spent typing up well worded complaints about their games on the interwebz I have spent about 100 hours joyfully playing the same games. The Witcher games are definitely more modern and better realized, but just do not grab my imagination like TES games do. Maybe its the adolescent reliance on constant sex references and Geralt acting like the estranged lead singer of a emo prog band.

One great thing about skyrim is the mod community. For whatever thing annoys you there is a mod to fix it in most cases. I have not found anything like SkyUI for the new version yet, but I imagine one will show up eventually. Modders are the REAL heroes *bro-fist*

17. Baines says:

“Maybe spend a bit more money on voice actors?”

The voice actor strike brought out the claim that Bethesda wasn’t even telling voice actors the name of the game that they were working on in order to prevent leaks. That kind of secrecy attitude could imply that Bethesda is also not giving voice actors proper context for their lines, either.

Basically, their voice acting issues might not be so much that Bethesda isn’t hiring enough good actors, but rather than Bethesda is undercutting the actors that they do hire.

• newc0253 says:

“In order to prevent leaks”?

No idea if that’s true but it’s hilarious to think Bethesda are sitting around worried that anyone might leak their fourth-rate dialogue or that anyone else might find it interesting…

• Nibblet says:

One of the reasons for Bethesda’s success is their PR department, and good PR requires as much control as possible over all product related information.
        It is hard to build up hype for a new game when details like setting or location etc has been leaked years in advance.

• newc0253 says:

I don’t know much about how games are made but one thing I’m pretty fucking certain of and that’s that they don’t record the voice acting years in advance.

• Nibblet says:

Obviously. The point was that PR is all about controlling information, even seemingly irrelevant information.

18. JP says:

I realize linking a comment I made on another blog has all the smugness of a Self-Retweet, but I also think getting rid of interior loads would make the level design way more interesting (and yes, more difficult for designers): link to blog.radiator.debacle.us

19. gou says:

Coop, and nothing more. To experience the highs and lows whilst riffing on it all with your buddy

• Ghargoil says:

Agreed 100%.

I bought Skyrim, pranced around in it for a few hours, and got bored. The other characters didn’t really draw me in. If I had a buddy (or two) to play with, I think it would’ve been a ton of fun.

20. aliksy says:

The combat system is pretty bad. There’s a lot of HP bloat, and places where the mechanics and visuals don’t agree. I’m talking about when you sneak up on someone and bring a huge axe down on their bare head, and they don’t even flinch. It just takes me right out of the game. I doubt they’re going to constrain HP (gotta have that power treadmill) and believable reactions to getting hit sounds like a difficult project. And if you can injure people without killing them, you’d want to let people surrender, but that’d be a whole cool new thing that would never get implemented.

Also don’t have magic guards that are always 20 levels higher than you that can just soak up a beating. It’s stupid. Send them to save the world.

whoa! Edit is available now!
    Edit to add: It occurs to me that Skyrim is the Celine Dion of video games.

• Itdoesntgoaway says:

Agreed – I can only enjoy Skyrim with a mod installed that increases damage by 4x for all creatures and the player – Even if you are wearing a lot of armor, getting hit with an axe/arrow/fireball should be a life threatening scenario, not a snowball fight.

Although it did result in a Master Vampire who spawned in town killing several Windhelm citizens and guards before he could be put down (happily, one of them had left me 100 gold in their will – awh bless).

21. Sly-Lupin says:

Or, perhaps most importantly, hire some good writers and focus on good quest design?

• Archonsod says:

To be honest it wouldn’t matter if it had the greatest writing ever conceived by mankind, I’d still abandon it three hours in to go and play around with putting baskets on people’s heads.

• Taurnil says:

That brings to mind three DLC sized mods I have tired; Wrymstooth, Falskar and The Forgotten City. All three are imo good for a playthrough just because they are something different. As for scripting, storyline, quest type things I think The Forgotten City got it just about right as you can. But then I am not a “gamer”.

22. tomaac says:

Animations, animations, animations.. Bethesda should fire most of their animators and hire profesionals and start using mo-cap. While bethesda game don’t move it’s fine. The second things start moving, everything goes to shit. Their animation systems are still ridiculous in Fallout 4.

And AI. Stop standing in the fucking doorways ffs! Is it really so difficult to programm? if(in_doorway && player approaches){ get_the_fuck_out_of_the_way(); }

23. Disgruntled Goat says:

The facial design in Skyrim was an improvement over the cantaloupe heads in Oblivion.

But you are dead on right about Bethesda’s user interface “design”. The UI in Fallout 4 was an abomination.

I knew I was in trouble when I realized they randomly used three different keys to back out of UI menus (sometimes it was Tab, sometimes it was Enter, sometimes it was ESC) with no rhyme or reason. And that was just the tip of the stupid UI iceberg with that game.

Nauallis says:

Todd Howard knows what kind of bugs he wants to have in the next Elder Scrolls game, but the technology to make those bugs possible doesn’t exist yet.

Improvements would be nice, but frankly I’d be happy just to have the same sort of issues in the next game without adding new ones.

25. Fredward says:

Is ES: Hammerfell a thing I don’t know about or an inside joke no one invited me to?

Nauallis says:

I dunno. All the suggestions/predictions I’ve read suggest Elsweyr as the location/name. Probably PC gamer entitlement for Hammerfell (e.g. “I’m a fan but I can’t be bothered to learn more about the game’s backstory if it’s not in the game”).

• ZippyLemon says:

The year Beth release a TES game, they trademark the next one. They registered “The Elder Scrolls: Hammerfell” in 2011 and have renewed it since. They did the same with ‘Skyrim’ the year Oblivion was released.

Add to that that Hammerfell is the only province that got any narrative groundwork laid in Skyrim – the secession from the Empire, the repulsion of the Thalmor – and yeah it’s guaranteed.

Or maybe Bethesda will surprise us.

26. renner says:

I feel like the need to pander to consoles is holding the melee combat back– it would be great to see something closer to Chivalry or Mordhau, but it wouldn’t work with a controller. They gotta do SOMETHING though, the sword combat is just so boring.

Also, take some cues from the Witcher when it comes to creating engaging sidequests.

27. thekelvingreen says:

Get rid of the crappy dungeons. Not only the linear layouts that everyone up there has already mentioned, but also the repeated visual designs; not every hole in the ground needs to have the same carpets and wallpaper.

Fix the crappy hand-to-hand combat. Archery should be an option, not the only sensible way to fight. There has got to be a better way than “spin around in a circle waving your arms about”.

More varied monsters. Oh look. A skeleton. Again.

Oh, and give us more to do with all that loot and cash. I don’t want an elaborate stocks and investment mini game, but there must be something else we can do with it.

28. Zorkwiz says:

The Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell Summerset Isle
    Coming Early 11/13/2018

FTFY

29. woodsey says:

The mouse literally never works as it should do in any of their games, that should be the first thing.

I downloaded a mouse acceleration/smoothing fix for FO4 on the day of release, for goodness sake.

30. nimbulan says:

They actually did a lot better with both faces and voice actors in Fallout 4 so hopefully that carries over to the next Elder Scrolls game.

They just need a COMPLETELY NEW engine. That will fix all the weird performance problems, the variable game speed depending on framerate, the mouse issues, the FOV…

• Superpat says:

Except then they have to train the dev’s with that new engine, and then you have a completely different set of problems. (I’m not saying they shouldnt try, just that this isnt the main issue)

31. InfiniteSubset says:

Fix Magic Systems! I love the idea of playing a Mage, but I always get so frustrated by things like:
    1. Spell balance. I would love if getting new spells meant new tools for different situations, not “replace the awesome chain lighting with boring but stronger lightning spell”
    2. Mana not refilling in combat.
    3. Make elemental spells be actually different (they toyed with this a bit in the middle tier spells, but at the top and bottom they were pretty much different colors).

• Sakkura says:

Refilling mana is bad (unless it’s very slow). Endless resources messes with game balance.

A more interesting spell system would let you go back to crafting your own spells. Harder to balance, but it should be possible.

32. Chaoslord AJ says:

Faces, I’ll second this also facial expressions.
    Better spellcasting. Mages feel seriously underpowered in the series.
    Secondary characters like in the Witcher series.
    An interesting non-trope culture to explore like in MW.
    I liked the feeling of getting lost in the wilderness with useless directions given from Morrowind but I guess that will turn off most players and won’t return to mainstream gaming. Mages guild was esp. infamous.
    Oh I return of ranks, those were cool.

33. Tuor says:

1. Limit, or even eliminate, fast travel.

2. Kill NPC scaling, especially with enemies, but really with everything. When I’m weak, most everything should be stronger/harder than me. When I’m strong, most everything should be weaker/easier than me. TES 5 was an improvement on 4 in this respect, but not enough of one, IMO.

3. Make the UI for PCs and Consoles different. Yes, I know you want to console-ize everything because it’s cheaper that way, and you want consistency across your platforms, but it is just stupid, and insulting, and insultingly stupid to saddle PC gamers with this sort of… thing.

It might be time to re-invent the wheel in regards to TES, with an eye on what has been working in other modern games (like Witcher 3). Throw out the bad and incorporate the good.

• leett says:

Building on your point #2: I’d like more unique weapons and armor that are actually powerful, a la Morrowind. Maybe I’m misremembering, but the unique stuff one finds in Skyrim is barely better than randomized loot from chests.

• carewolf says:

That is a consequence of level balancing. Witcher 3 for all its awesome has the same issue. Since you partly level up by getting better gear (or being allowed to use the better gear you already found), any gear you get at a given level can NOT be awesome, being awesome would break the game design.. So no awesome loot, ever, anywhere.

Personally I would prefer they droped that design, but it would mean less stat progression.

34. NickAragua says:

HALT HALT HALT

35. Khayness says:

The next TES game should be just a toolset with boatloads of assets included.

I have only heard tales of FO4 from buddies who tried to like it, and my hopes for the next Bethesda game aren’t high.

36. Joe The Wizard says:

I’d like to see a skills and leveling system somewhere between the complexity of Oblivion (without all the pointless restrictions) and the streamlined approach of Skyrim. Like, give us starts and birthsigns back, but don’t make us have to game the system to make sure we get the max stats up when we level. I like the perks in Skyrim and FO4, but add back stats please.

37. StrawberryJam says:

Better pathfinding AI, especially for follower npc’s/companions.

38. Styxie says:

I think what I admire and hate most about Bethesda is that they have roughly a hundred odd staff at their studio, but they refuse to expand – which means that they are always going to be limited by the resources available to them, so every Bethesda RPG has the same problems.

I had a good time with Skyrim when it came out, so I won’t shit on it – but their games are never going to improve in the same linear fashion as say the Witcher series did. Once I realised this, I just started looking for more interesting RPGs rather than hoping Bethesda will concluded that there’s something amiss with the two giant money printing machines they’ve made.

DantronLesotho says:

I would love to see more tactical methods of combat in the game, like more elaborate traps or mechanisms and such.

40. fish99 says:

Bring in Chris Avellone to write it.

• Mormont says:

Bring back Michael Kirkbride

• ZippyLemon says:

Guys come on, don’t be rude to the writers they have. Dragons! You gotta respect the visionaries behind that one. Look back on all those stuffy, obscure references to dragons in older TES games. Akatosh the dragon of Time and his Nedic counterpart Alduin, the World Eater. Are they gods? Mythical allegory? Two sides of the same divine coin, or disparate entities bound to Mundus by the magnanimity of Akatosh and the treachery of men?

Nope. Alduin is a dragon. If a Dragonborn punches the dragon in the face, the world is saved. Dno about you guys but my mind was blown.

Good riddance to Michael Kirkbride – TES is directly understandable by a five year old now.

I’m just at the edge of my seat in suspense to see how BGS envision the ‘snake-men of Akavir’ he wrote about. Reman’s invasion of that hostile continent was long ago. Are the reports on the Tsaesci old propaganda, long divorced from their context? Or are they the superstitious and fearful stories of legionnaires, filtered along the military supply chain back to the Imperial City? Do the Akaviri worship a snake god, perhaps, or employ snake demons in their armies? What could be the truth? I trust post-Kirkbride BGS to deliver something so unimaginably dull that I just can’t wait to see what it is.

41. EkoAzarak says:

yes yes yes, a squillion times to this article. especially the shitstorm UI. and bake in the use of hotkeys so the game doesnt become a pause fest every fucking 2 seconds. and fix the bugs. the fucking bugs. fix them.

• karnie says:

GET. RID. OF. THE. GOD. DAMNED. ENGINE! Start from scratch. Build a completely new engine. Or better yet, use an established one that works. STOP WORKING OFF THE CREATION ENGINE!!

42. Bishop149 says:

Yeah I’d agree with most of this although I did get the urge respond with “Well you could just play The Witcher 3, it has most of what you want . . . but also the willies boobs and whorehouses”

I’d agree with those saying dreadful repeatative dungeon design. Go through linear sequence of corridors with a few dead ends / loops get to end and unlock door that shortcuts back to the beginning. Boy does that get old quick.

Also, do Eswyer already!
    They seem obsessed with picking THE most boring regions, Morrowind was interesting but Oblivion and Skyrim are intrinsically dull, so much so both had to be livened up with Deadra and Dragons respectively. And now Hammerfell, Oh great the one human dominated region you haven’t done already. But ooooh a desert! FFS.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Played TW3 multiple times through now. Thing with Elder Scrolls is that it’s “choose your own adventure” and design your own character. A different approach from a completely story and character-defined RPG so don’t compare apples with pears.

43. kingfelix says:

As others have said, fix or improve the combat. Skyrim did add some interesting things where you could do special attacks as your sword skill got higher and dual wielding was the most fun I’ve had in melee combat yet in the series but it still all just feels too floaty and there’s no real impact to anything. A giant can knock me 50 feet into the air and I can be stunned by other creatures but if I strike someone with a sword they are still running back and forth in front of me like a pesky mosquito which gives me the feeling that everything I’m fighting is secretly a ghost.

Bring back the more in depth magic systems of the past. Being able to construct spells out of meaningful individual elements and actually getting to study magic as a mage rather than just recreating bioshock in the elder scrolls would make playing one a lot more fun.

Get whoever writes the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines to write the main story. Those both had the best stories, characters and gameplay even of both Oblivion and Skyrim and I’d like to see even a modicum of the creativity on display within them applied to the main quest line which is consistently as boring as boring can be.

44. Werthead says:

Or, “New Engine”.

Bethesda started using the GameBryo Engine in 2002 for Morrowind. They upgraded it in fairly minor ways for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. In 2011 they gave it a very moderate lick of paint and called it the Creation Engine, but it’s still very obviously GameBryo at heart. Crazily, it’s still powering Fallout 4 under the hood.

It’s been sharpened up, had a few more godrays shone on it and it can handle more polygons and water a bit better, but it’s still 15-year-old technology trying to power modern games and creaking badly at it. You can see it struggling to keep up with almost every frame of the game. I applaud Bethesda for sticking to their guns and keeping their costs down – making a new engine is expensive and time-consuming – but it’s gotten a bit ridiculous now. Six games using the same engine is more than enough.

We do know that Elder Scrolls VI is in development and it’s a “very long way off.” I don’t think we’ll see it in 2018 and I’ll be surprised if we see it this side of 2020 from what Todd Howard was saying.

link to pcgamer.com

The good news is that it sounds like a new engine might be on the cards.

“That’s kind of like the elephant in the room, always, when we talk about anything, and I think it’s good to tell our fans in these moments, yes, of course we are [making Elder Scrolls 6],” Howard said. “It’s something we love. But it is—I have to be careful what I say—it’s a very long way off. I could sit here and explain the game to you, and you would say, ‘That sounds like you don’t even have the technology—how long is that going to take?’ And so it’s something that’s going to take a lot of time, what we have in mind for that game.”

• behippo says:

A new engine would be exciting and likely what the games need. As a member of the ScriptExtender team I am very familiar with just how much the game hasn’t changed under the hood.

• trooperdx3117 says:

The problem is if they create a new engine then there is a very good chance that modding will go by the wayside. Could you imagine the outrage if that happened?

• ZippyLemon says:

If Beth want a new engine and a healthy modding community then they can just make a mod-friendly engine and do some tutorials and engage in some dialogue with the modders. Voila.

45. Moonracer says:

Someone needs to compile an official fan wishlist because there is an awful lot of stuff that people tend to universally agree needs fixing.

Then there are just some odd things that only bug a few. Like that their engine only allows controller or mouse and keyboard input (not both at the same time).

46. geldonyetich says:

There actually is an FOV slider in the video options inside the Enhanced Edition…

…but it doesn’t do anything. Maybe it’s because I already put an FOV setting in the console, but no matter how I slide that slider, the image on the screen doesn’t budge.

What it really needs is a Horizontal AND Veritcal FOV slider that WORK. Because if you just punch in an FOV setting with the console, it adjusts the horizontal and scales the vertical proportionately, which doesn’t quite look right on my 16:10 screen.

On a gameplay front, I am feeling that maybe the spells are sorely vestigial. There’s potions and other methods of producing much of the same effect, sometimes weaker, sometimes stronger, generally easier to use that putting away your weapon or shield and charging something up.

The summoning of atronachs, I’ve decided, is just flat out unbalanced. Mana is not a fair exchange for endless spawns. I am deliberately opting to only use zombies this time around, because a zombie is a limited resource, when defeated it turns into ash. A simple solutin would be to make atrnonachs “unbound” unless a reagent is used, like a certain spell in Dragonborn.

• dangermouse76 says:

Where is the FOV option I can’t find it. I can find a depth of field option once I’m actually in game in the settings under display.But that obviously is not for FOV.

• geldonyetich says:

Yeah, you’re right, I’m confusing DoF for FoV. No wonder it didn’t work.

But, to adjust FoV in game, just hit semicolon while in game (not a menu) and type fov (and the number of FOV you want) into the console. Like I said, it scales both horizontal and vertical.

47. Niko says:

What I want to see is an economic system that makes more sense and doesn’t make the province the game takes place at a theme park build by Dwemers. You rescue a hostage for a yarl, and he gives you 10 gold coins (oh hey, there are gold veins just outside the town on the mountainside!), and then you carry a letter for a shoemaker to a different town and he rewards you with 100 gold. I’d love to see a game featuring more types of coins, something like European Middle Age copper/silver/gold coins. Or just two, coupled with prices that makes sense (anyone remember Betrayal at Krondor?)

That, and pretty much all the concerns listed above. Elder Scrolls games having the capacity to be rag-and-bone man simulator clashing with the Chosen One plot is a different topic altogether, I guess.

• thomavo says:

That last sentence is my chief complaint. Why not do away with the main Chosen One-questline altogether? Immersion sorta goes out the window when the World Eater no longer wants to eat the world if you decide to spend the rest of the game not progressing the quest.

48. The Velour Fog says:

I would love more interesting stuff to discover-Skyrim had a massive space to wander around in but i ended up using fast travel because there just wasn’t much to gain by walking everywhere. Most of the content was locked away in similar looking dungeons and other interiors. Put some more interesting landscapes/npcs/weirdness out in the world please.

49. Vedharta says:

All these mechanics and technical things I could completely skip if they would just do one thing….

Make the Elder Scrolls *fantastical* again, the grand play of mythical cycles, the obscure wonder of how everything fits together, the vagaries of truth.

The biggest disappointment with Skyrim for me where the dragons, instead of these ancient beasts beyond the understanding of humans who are components in the functioning of the unknowable cosmos only to be discussed in metaphors, analogies and myths as processed through centuries of oral traditions we get…..XP bags.

The original inspiration in Glorantha is far far gone by now.

In short, get Kirkbride, Rolston and Goodall back…..

I’d play that even if i have to swing my sword 20 times at a enemy see it pass through and do no damage.

Comment on this story