Left 4 Dead Creators Release ‘Lost’ Campaign

Turtle Rock are moving on from Evolve, their hunters vs monsters multiplayer game on which development recently ceased. Before starting something new, though, here’s a brief return to something old – their Valve-published masterpiece, Left 4 Dead [official site]. Via the Turtle Rock forums, studio co-founder Chris Ashton has uploaded Dam It, a campaign that, in a loose narrative sense, falls in between Dead Air and Blood Harvest. It’s not entirely finished, with some features not working correctly, but if you have a copy of the original game, you can download and play it right now.

I miss Left 4 Dead. Whenever I see somebody pining for more Half Life, my mind drifts away to 2008, a happy time when I spent almost every free minute fighting my way through zombie hordes with a group of friends. I loved the sequel as well, possibly even more than the original, and my dream game is a new Left 4 Dead using Rainbow Six: Siege’s environmental destruction. A mass of undead flesh spilling through the walls of a house, clawing plaster and brick aside, and some overpowered brute punching a hole clean through the barricades your little team of survivors have placed.

For now, I’ll content myself with Dam it. It’s designed to force separation, or at least to encourage it, the map denying line of sight for cover fire to a tightly grouped foursome. There are more details, including a map and download links, over here.

From this site

1. Lumière says:

Nice. Anyone knows if it does work with L4D2?

• welverin says:

No, LfD add-ons do not work with LfD2.

However, Tyler from Valve News Network said he is going to try and clean it up and potentially port it with some help from someone he knows. So there is the possibility, and that’s assuming no one else does it.

2. Ghostwise says:

Due to the unending evils of start case, I thought this would be a mod themed after the Lost TV series.

Oh, well.

Tom-INH says:

Me too.

cpt_freakout says:

Yes! Back in the day, I played with three friends almost every other night. It was the Xbox version though, so we didn’t have any nifty mods or new maps, which made it so everyone learned every little detail in every map.

After like 5 years, we’ve recently brought the team back together to play Vermintide (PC this time), which has been quite a fun ‘L4D replacement’ without the PvP element. We’re now looking forward to that Deathwing W40k L4D-like coming in December… I hope it’s as good a team game as the ‘tide!

5. MajorLag says:

I played L4D2 enough to get pretty good at it, but alas I had no friends, so I remember spending a lot of time trying to find a decent group of randos to play expert missions with. When I did though, that was some fun stuff.

SminkyBazzA says:

Is the download link on their site broken for anyone else?

7. myhandleonrps says:

This was pretty much the last video game I played with my real life friends. L4D2 was solid but I really enjoyed the simplicity of the first. It’s the last time I memorized every facet of a game’s maps and AI. I remember going camping a few days after its release and still seeing hordes of zombies when I closed my eyelids.

8. TheSplund says: