Free Loaders: Flipping the bird in Helping Hand

Humans are great communicators. We’ve developed not only spoken langauges, but reams and reams of written ones throughout history. Not to mention Braille and sign language. Truly, the human ability to express emotions, needs and desires is an unparalleled proof of our shared greatness as the planet’s most wonderful species.

Hey! Quit doing that rude gesture! Stop it! I mean it!

Sigh. Here’s some free games.

Helping Hand by Ben Crooks, Andrea Hayes and Aidan Cammell

Aw no, you’ve been in an accident and you done wrecked all your body parts except for your left hand. Looks like you’ll have to communicate entirely using your fingers and thumb – handily mapped (ha ha, “handily”) to the 1, 2, 3 4 and Space keys. Let’s see, what gestures can you make with just that? Oh, here’s one! Yes, it is a very rude thing to gesture at the nurse, but she’s horrible and rude back. Although, yes, you do need her to empty your slowly filling bag of urine, and replace your blood bag. Your visiting wife, she can have a nicer gesture. How about THIS? Well, no, I guess not everyone is into rock and roll. Oh, here comes the priest. This will be good. Keep up your silent hand movements for as long as you can and try not to die in a strange or mundane way.

Unluck Quest by Noah Ratcliff and Aidan Markham

Friendly adventure full of joy and rocks. You know how it goes, you’re happily floating down the river, just like every day, when suddenly the bridge ahead is boarded up with police tape and two police beavers are telling you that more floating isn’t allowed until the UNLUCK GOBLIN in the nearby cave is taken care of. Ho hum. Splash out of the water and help out the unlucky inhabitants of… whatever this place is. There’s a poor broken mirror, a salt shaker whose insides have been spilled, and a ladder who won’t let anyone walk under it. A bunch of bubs who need lots of help and guidance from a good-hearted stranger. Or just a rando from the river who only wants to carry on floating in peace. Either way, there’s some great dialogue and delivery in this, like the moment a talking boulder you mistake for a salt rock exclaims “I’m granite!” in a wobbling rainbow text. And there’s a happy ending in store for those with a kind and lucky heart.

Unbound Atlas by grreuze

Tiny but infinite sound and light toy. Double-click on the wibbling central star to open up an endlessly recurring field of draggable stars. Experiment with this nebulous, rotating night sky and get some sounds and new shapes, new colours. It’s small, simple, a wee bit relaxing. Like an abstract snowglobe or something.

Yo! Let’s UP by Folmer Kelly

Itty bitty one-button jumping game. The blocks come in from the side and you need to jump and land on them to make then stop, forming a tower as you go. When you hit a coin, the tower will straighten out, but it might be wobbly until that point. Better than that: the coins you collect go towards unlocking neat hats. Keep hopping, cute little jumping dude! I believe in you. I’ve ALWAYS believed in you.

Find Him by a.constant

You’re looking for someone. From the lobby of what appears to be a giant hotel, you’re given just one instruction: find him. Who knows what he looks like or where he might be, but he’s here somewhere. Everyone in the building (and on the streets outside) is a grey-faced nobody with a slowly rotating head. Is that symbolic? It might be. Whatever the case, there are a lot of people in this first-person wanderer and they are doing lots of things, yet frozen in time. Dancers fill the dancefloor of a large club/restaurant, businessmen (I guess they are businessmen) make calls in the seating area, there are guests in every room, on every floor. Some of them sit and watch TV alone. Some lie on the floor, possibly unconscious. Others have bodyguards, or take photographs of one another. But which one is him? I’ll refer to the creator’s instructions: “You know when you find him what he has been doing.”

Want more free games? Check out the Best of Free Loaders collection or check our list of the 50 best free games on PC. Got a free game yourself? Give it to @Brendy_C or *performs obscene hand gesture*

From this site

1. Snowskeeper says:

Yo! Let’s UP is sort of glitchy. A couple of times, collecting a coin has turned the block I was standing on into lava. once or twice it’s just outright made the platform fall over for some reason.

2. DelrueOfDetroit says:

That top picture reminds me of the story about 2Pac when he was shot in New York City. He was supposed to meet Notorious BIG and Puff Daddy in the studio but neither of them showed and a gunman came into the studio and fired shots at 2Pac. This is suspected to have been a setup. On the way out of the building as the paramedics are taking him to the ambulance both Puffy and Biggie show up in the lobby. Pac greets them both by flipping them the double bird as he is wheeled out.

• batraz says:

Top picture would have been funny until 1960 maybe, that is when religion had still some power of influence on society. Now, it’s more like punching Grandma in the face. But if that bring up some old skool gangsta sh**, I guess that’s still something.

• DelrueOfDetroit says:

Old school is anything pre ~1984 so this would just be some regular ol’ gangsta shit.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Hmm. If they didn’t have direct control of many of our schools, automatic and unelected representation in the Lords, if our head of state wasn’t also defender of the faith you might have a point.
        Let me tell you a little story. When my first wife, an atheist and socialist, was dying in hospital I popped to the loo for two minutes. I came back to the sight of a dog collard weirdo whispering his woo at her bed. Uninvited, unwanted and fully deserving of a full two fingered salute. A game that allowes you to tell one of these deluded ghouls to swivel on it is a good thing in my opinion.

• log1932 says:

Every football hooligan will confirm that kicking a helpless person lying on the ground gives you a rush of animal pleasure.

• SaintAn says:

A whole lot of religious fanatics just gained a whole lot of power in the US. I think they still have quite a bit of influence.

3. Kaeoschassis says:

Always enjoy these lists, there’s usually SOMETHING new that I get a kick out of.

While we’re on free games, anyone remember Daniel Remar’s “Iji”? Turns out he’s hard at work porting it to a new engine that’ll hopefully get it playing nice with modern OSs, since it’s been hard to get it to run for years now. Apparently he’s making a full-blown content update out of it – new weapons, new endings, quality-of-life stuff, the list goes on. I am probably more excited for that than for any upcoming commercial release right now.

• gmx0 says:

So he went from GameMaker 5 (only for PC) to GameMaker: Studio (for a lot more than PC)? Finally, lol. (He released the GameMaker source file of it awhile back, I believe)

• Kaeoschassis says:

Couldn’t say, I’m not familiar with GM versions myself. I do recall him saying YEARS ago that it was a thing he’d love to do, but would basically require a significant amount of checking and re-writing. Glad he finally bit the bullet, I haven’t been able to play it at a decent framerate for a long time. Been dying to go back.

Waltorious says:

Iji is awesome, great to hear it will be getting an update! More people should play it, I don’t know why it isn’t more famous than it is.

Skabooga says:

Aww, yeah, I had such a good time playing Iji, well enough to play it through twice. By the end of the first playthrough, I felt a little bad about all the aliens I had shot in the back (or reflected their own shots back into their face), so I just had to go back and set things a little righter.

4. Lintire says:

I’m not entirely sure why “Find Him” decided to waste 10 minutes of time for a gay joke I saw coming from a mile away.