Necrobarista is about hipsters, baristas, and death

I'm going to eat this picture for dinner.

You know how, sometimes, games look so good you just want to eat them? You want to print out all the screenshots in glorious, glossy photo paper, and just put them into your mouth? You know that feeling? Yeah, that’s how I feel about upcoming visual novel game Necrobarista [official site].

I mean, we’re probably going to look back on the 2010s and wonder why every indie video game had that sort of gentle sunset glow dominating its colour palette. But I don’t mind. I love that Firewatch-y wash of warmth that Necrobarista has, almost as much as I love the Sherlock-style dialogue boxes that seem like they’re part of the world.

(-don’t mention Sherlock,– a voice whispers in disgust. –we don’t talk about Sherlock any more.-)

The concept behind it all is as delicious as the art: a coffee shop in Melbourne where the dead mingle amongst the living. I’m hoping for something in-between Grim Fandango and, maybe, Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman, a sort of warm, witty, but strange approach to death, but it’s hard to tell exactly what the tone is from the short trailer.

Route 59 Games describe it as “an original visual novel combining a supernatural suspense story with a stylised cinematic presentation influenced by anime aesthetics” which is, wow, a long run-on sentence, but implies that Necrobarista will be perhaps similar to 2016 bartending game VA11-HALL-A, but with coffee instead of booze. Or maybe booze as well. Sometimes coffee isn’t enough, you know?

Hopefully we’ll be seeing more of Necrobarista before its release in October this year.

From this site

1. DelrueOfDetroit says:

Sherlock? Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock. Sherlock Sherlock. Sherlock! Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock. Ahhhh…. Sherlock….

• DrazharLn says:

BANNED

• Don Reba says:

Still better writing than the last season.

barashkukor says:

Episode 2 was good.

Maybe not as great as S2E1 (most things aren’t, so be fair), but it was a solid, interesting episode with an interesting villain.

• Bostec says:

You must be joking right? It was a badly written Jimmy Savile spoof.

barashkukor says:

In fairness Mr Saville, even when I was a child, was terrifying.

2. Seafoam says:

Looks pretty but the character design makes me retch inside

• SaintAn says:

The character design looks great, I love it.

• Seafoam says:

Yeah seems that I just have an intense personal distaste to it. Reminds me of 2008 deviantart and I hate it.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

Three of my least favourite things.

4. bee says:

This looks interesting. Thanks.

5. April March says:

Its desing seems to hit a lot of targets at once. I did indeed want to eat it.

6. poliovaccine says:

Can’t tell so much as the tone of the game from the trailer, but *do* know it’s about hipsters and baristas and death, so..!

..? Really? I am nothing but happy for the rise of indie games, but this sounds like a megafunded robot focus group’s idea of how to construct the “perfect” indie game. Complete with that warm, sunsetty glow we all know from Firewatch – which is even detected in this article, but escapes suspicion!

I’m actually fairly interested in this, because I’d have similar hopes as the author of this article, i.e. for something kinda Discworld or Grim Fandango or JP Sartre about death. And while I’ll always go for the games that try for that promise of literary genius, I guess I’m starting to become more skeptical of those games because they either go as genius as they hoped, or else they fall well short of ambitions and fail to coast much further than funding on the strengths of their concepts.

I think that’s just one way, too, that these games can fall short because, essentially, their creators didnt realize that what they actually wanted to do was make a movie or a book. Like I think Gravity Bone and Virginia would both work infinitely better as movies, as animation, as machinima, than as litely-interactive games. They’re much better stories and concepts than gaming experiences. Kinda my immediate impulse about this one, but that wont stop me from giving it a go when it’s here – skeptical or not, I do want to see games ultimately succeed at these ambitions!

7. Eery Petrol says:

This game looks stunning! The art is very fresh and polished and this RPS article made me subscribe to the game’s newsletter. I won’t be hoping for something Grim Fandango/Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman-esque… as that’s setting the bar somewhere in the stratosphere. Besides, this trailer suggests a more anime-culture inspired feel.