Syberia 3 release date announced for really reals

Almost seven years after it was originally slated to launch, Syberia 3 [official site] will probably almost definitely come out in April. Microids have announced a release date of April 20th for Europe, 21st for the UK, and the 25th for North America, though Steam just says the 20th for me so it looks like the digital release is all #nooceans. I’ve not played the steampunk-ish adventure game series before but apparently this one is telling a new story, and I must say my interest is piqued after seeing an owl with a backpack, giant snow ostriches, and a mahoosive octopus in a new trailer. Have a look:

What’s going on there? Microids say:

“The story begins when Kate is found left for dead on a shore by the Youkol tribe, a nomadic people caring for their snow ostriches during migration. Trapped, prisoners in the city of Valsembor, they will have to find together a way to continue their journey in a chase against their enemies and unexpected challenges. While at the same time, Kate’s past is catching up with her…”

As for how the series connects, Microids say that 3 is “a brand new tale, completely different from the first two Syberia games.” A ‘the continuing adventures of Kate Walker’ dealio, I think, rather than a ‘part 3’.

Syberia 3 will cost £29.99/39,99€/$39.99 when it arrives for Windows and Mac in April. After all the years of delays, surely Microids wouldn’t announce specific release dates if they weren’t confident they could meet them? Oh, and it will also be available on something called a ‘DVD’ in something called a ‘case’ in somewhere called ‘the world’.

From this site

1. Pogs says:

So, a pre-Valentine ode: Oh Siberia, how I loved you, I gave you my heart, my soul. Dear Siberia 2, you could not compete, though hard you did try. So, Siberia 3, how will I find you? My breath is held, only time will tell…

• Don Reba says:

Yeah, all my completionist OCD could not get me to last until the end of the second game.

• TheSplund says:

I suffer similarly with games but the voice acting in Syberia 2 left me so cold (pun intended) that I packed before she left the first station

• tomimt says:

It’s been ages since I played Syberia 2, but I recall liking it just fine myself. It could have had more of the same old Soviet Union rustinc theme in it, but I liked it.

SO now I must reinstall it an play it again. Maybe I end up beig disappointed with it, just like I ended up being a tad disappointed with Syberia 1 as well when I replayed it no so long ago. Not much of a game, but damn does that one has some great scenes in it.

• Don Reba says:

I got quite a ways in, but eventually the puzzles started seeming too contrived, and I could not bring myself to care enough about the plot to do them.

• Halk says:

You make me curious: In what way are the two games different in your view?

They really seem like two halves of one game to me, both with regards to strengths and weaknesses. So while I can understand how one might either like both or dislike both, I have trouble imaginging how one can like one and dislike the other.

• Pogs says:

I have to be honest and say I can’t remember why exactly. It was a long time ago I played them but I do remember S2 left me struggling to finish it and just lacking. S1 set such a high mark, it just didn’t seem to compare.

I could try playing it again to see exactly why, but you know what they say, you can never go back…

2. Monggerel says:

keptyouwaitinghuh

3. KingFunk says:

I am unable to imagine the name of John Walker said out loud in any way other than that in which Kate Walker’s name is spoken by that animatronic chap in Syberia 1…

4. Pharaoh Nanjulian says:

See you later Oscar!

In a while, Kate Walker.

My brothers and I played both games co-operatively huddled around the computer. Now in different parts of the country, when we greet each other online the exchange is usually “hello, hello!” from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to which the riposte is Syberia’s “Miss Walker?”

A wonderful game and I can’t wait for 3!

Comment on this story