Uurnog is a musical platformer from Knytt creator

I know an ‘Uurnog’ sounds like some gargantuan beast from Norse legend, but it’s not. Uurnog [official site] is really a newly announced, synthy, block-grabbing platformer from yer man Nifflas, aka Niklas Nygren, the creator of the Knytt series and NightSky among others. The aim in this one is to explore the world and “steal all the animals and keep them in the save room – the only place that doesn’t reset when you die.”

It looks like there’s a kind of collect-em-all thing going on here, with your character bringing different block types back to the sanctity of his save room. But here’s what jumping and throwing those blocks around looks like.

Those are some good colours but also some good sounds, and this is where things get a bit odd because the game also includes its own custom music editor, while the music itself is “algorithmic”. This basically means that the music depends on your actions in the game. Here, another video probably explains it better than I can.

There’s going to be a level editor too. So you can make your famous willy-shaped chambers.

Nifflas has a good name around these parts. John got married to Knytt Stories in a clandestine ceremony that nobody remembers, for instance, and the original is still number 7 in our list of best free games of all time. This time he’s bunched up with art-doer Corinne Cadalin and noise-maker Harri Dammert.

It’s also one of Humble’s new-fangled ‘Originals’ and is going to be part of their monthly bundle in March (that’s their subscription thing where you pay $12 a month for a clatter of rando games from their hoard).

1. skalpadda says:

I love it when games do cool stuff with music, so will definitely give this one a go. Extra points for naming the music engine Ondskan (The Evil).

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yes, their brilliant plan of getting that name to be associated with a music engine rather than the famous and filmed book by Jan Guillou of the same name is going wonderfully, I see.

• Nifflas says:

I’m not much of a person with a plan (who announces a game 9 days before its release?). For most of the development time, it was called “Djävulen” as a warning to whoever tries to figure it out, but I substituted it when I realized I might upset someone in the family. I probably should have picked something else.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Wow, the developer responded to my silly conspiracy theory post! Admittedly, I just wrote that for the opportunity to name drop another Swedish thing and make a far-fetched conclusion, because that’s how I roll.

• Nifflas says:

Haha, conspiracy theories are the best! I hope you’ll enjoy the silly game! \o/

2. caff says:

Nice, it looks and sounds pretty, and I’ve always loved Nifflas’ games.

3. Jurple says:

Is this going to be available through other channels than the Humble Monthly as well?

Edit: Also, yay! for a new Nifflas game.

• Telkir says:

Nifflas said on Twitter: “I will say though that it will be humble only first. If it’ll show up in some form elsewhere, that can be quite a bit later.”

My guess would be a Humble Monthly exclusive for a month, then after that month it’ll become available on the main Humble store as a separate title. I *hope* it goes like this… as much as Monthly is value for money, I’m trying to shrink my backlog, not grow it ;P

4. Michael Manning says:

Knytt is still very inspirational work, along with Saira and lovely toys such as Ynglet, I can’t say enough good words about Nifflas games!