Destiny 2 announced, but why do we care?

Destiny 2 has been officially announced by Bungie via a tweet from an official account. This was always pretty much guaranteed, given the success of the first game. But why do we care on our illustrious PC-only website? Because it might well be coming to PC as well as PlayStations and Xbones, according to some previous rumours. Those are just rumours for now but we’re posting about it anyway, because we don’t want to be left out of the party. In other words, we’re hedging our news-bets.

The announcement tweet only put up a picture of a logo, though. Which is not much to go on. However, in February an investment presentation let slip that the game was expected to release this year (see page 9), and subsequent leaks of some posters suggest that the release date is September 8. Although, that’s also nothing official. As for what the game will be like, your guess is as good as ours. But Pip, as our resident Destinois, has had some ideas about what it ought to be like.

I played a pop of it myself on a friend’s PS4 and found the shooting to be grand but the game to be a bit purposeless. Shoot stuff to get stuff. Which I suppose is no worse a hook than The Division. Bungie will likely be changing the formula up, and with any luck they’ll come up with a better reason for doing what you do, as opposed to having Peter Dinklage tell you repeatedly in his most bored voice about “The Darkness” and “The Light”.

1. LexW1 says:

Unless it is on PC and a huge amount less boring in terms of progress/rewards and not inane/nonsensical/drivel story-wise, I don’t think there’s any real reason to care. Destiny’s story made WoW’s weaker lore look like Shakespeare by comparison, and that’s not even hyperbole, sadly.

• The K says:

The sad thing is, Destiny actually has absoluty fantastic lore and tremendously skilled worldbuilding. Practically all of it in the Grimoire, rather than in the Game, though, so unless you actively look for it, youd never know.

I really hope they change that in D2.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Destiny’s story problem is much worse than a lack of “lore”. I started playing after the Taken King, following all the story missions in their intended order. And after about five minutes, it just turns into some kind of garbled fever dream.

None of the shit you’re doing makes the slightest bit of sense. It’s worse than not caring about the story, because you can’t even discern what there is to possibly care about. Old-school minimalism or boring familiar cliches would be a massive improvement.

2. rocketman71 says:

We don’t.

3. Wulfram says:

I’ve always thought it looked really really good. Even if it was on PC I don’t think it would be a game I’d really like, but I’m tempted by it just on the aesthetics.

4. SuicideKing says:

Well they said this for Destiny 1 as well, and then it never came to PC…

5. sleepy says:

Because despite a lot of halo fan whining, Destiny is a super fun game.

6. bfar says:

Destiny looks and plays great. No purpose though, and the best of it is hidden behind the grimoire, and zero help bringing players together through matchmaking for the most important parts of the game. It’s basically unfinished.

7. BaronKreight says:

I’d totally play it on PC. I remember buying PS3 to play DUST 514 not long before its closure announcement. No news about Project Legion from CCP. But honestly the way CCP handled DUST 514 was not the best way.

Warframe is good but man I’d like to have another gear based sci-fi FPS.

8. Squishydew says:

I’ll totally give destiny a shot once it comes to PC, can’t wait.

• Snowskeeper says:

If.

Let’s not say “when,” then get upset when it doesn’t. There’s no real reason to expect it to, right now. Let’s just all be quietly, sadly disappointed. Maybe that way we can shame Bungie into releasing it on PC.

9. teamcharlie says:

I’ve been a Bungie fan since the Marathon series, but as far as any Destiny game coming to the PC? I’ll believe it when I see it.

In case any Bungie people are reading these comments, though, let me say this: I will NEVER buy a Bungie product on a console, but I am EXTREMELY likely to buy a new Bungie game if it comes out on PC. There ya go.

Don Reba says:

It makes sense to do a practice run on the consoles, so they make a good first impression when they come to PC. Good thinking, Bungie.

11. xGryfter says:

I’m almost 100% positive that the PC version has already been confirmed…Hasn’t it? I’ll be really bummed if that isn’t the case.

12. Avus says:

I rather spend my “hope” on Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC than this… I get the similar “meh” mmo shooting experience from The Division.

13. Thirith says:

I don’t think I’ve played any other multiplayer online shooter than this one, and I don’t think I’ve played a single other console shooter, but I had a great time with the first Destiny. It’s corny as hell, yes, but I greatly enjoyed its aesthetics and by the time I got around to playing the game (at least a year after its launch) its gameplay had been polished. Most of the games I tend to play are more along the lines of epic RPGs or smaller, more intimate indie games, which Destiny couldn’t be less like – but as a sort of first-person sci-fi Diablo it was great. As such, I’d absolutely say it’s one of the games I’ve most enjoyed playing over the last two years.

14. Ross Angus says:

Brendy, Brendy, Brendy. If Alice had posted this, she’d have added the link to the official video: link to youtube.com

15. Heliocentric says:

I played a dozen hours of Destiny (1), while eventually I drifted away from it I always meant to go back, unfortunately, I hear that micropayment hooks are firmly established now, and it seems reasonable to assume that will only grow more integrated in Destiny 2.

• Thirith says:

Not sure I encountered any of those hooks, unless you mean the reasonably extensive DLC (I’ve not got the latest). Or perhaps I suffer from selective blindness when it comes to DLC; it’s definitely more subtle than the immersion-killing questgivers in Dragon Age advertising DLC until you bought it.

16. Chromatose says:

I was a complete sad-sack and purchased an Xbox 360 especially to play Destiny. Sure, it had its major shortcomings, but hell if I didn’t find it incredibly fun to play. It’s one of these games that doesn’t need to be super-engaging – you can just grab a few premade quests from the vendor, drop in, bust a few bad guys, and feel like you made progress. In other words, it’s a really nice game to switch off and relax to, even being pretty playable once you’ve sunk a few beers.

So yeah, I’m really hopeful that they bring this one to PC. It’s the absolute antithesis of hardcore PC gaming and that’s kind of why I love it, honestly.