Have You Played… Zuma Deluxe?

zumadeluxe

The lesser loved of Popcap’s moreish games, lacking the bombast of Peggle, character of Plants vs. Zombies or the pure relaxation of Bejeweled. Still, I love Zuma, a game about a frog spitting balls at a big line of balls.

Like Bejeweled, Zuma is about matching three colours. You fire a green ball at two other green balls and the match of three vanish, causing all the balls behind it to roll along. You need to clear the entire chain to win and normally do so within a set time limit.

That adds a little aim-and-shoot skill to the game. You need to be making matches quickly, but the more matches you make the more the chain of balls will be moving and the harder it is to hit your mark. Miss and you’ll have just inserted a coloured ball in a useless position, and the game quickly gets hard enough that those are hard to clear.

If you’ve grown tired of Bejeweled, Zuma Deluxe hits many of the same joys. It’s available on Steam and it’s way better than Chuzzle.

Drib says:

Ah, Zuma. I remember this game.

I used to really like popcap’s stuff. This, bookworm, etc.

Ah, old days.

tigerfort says:

A bit, but I’ve played the Luxor series (Mumbo Jumbo’s equivalent, with an Egyption theme about as strong as Zuma’s Mayan one) quite a lot more. The first couple are much the same as Zuma, while the later ones add some mild stretches of the concept like (static) complete-it-in-one trick-shot levels. They’re often available in cheap bundles if you want more Zuma-like stuff.

3. TotallyUseless says:

Nostalgia kicking in.

I was still a kid when I played this game. I remember playing this along with games like Luxor, Insaniquarium, Diner Dash, Pizza Frenzy, and on a Pentium 3 I think!

Good times, good times. When simple games satisfied my simple desire to relax after school day. =)

daktaklakpak says:

If you were still a kid when you played Zuma… Well, then you are still a kid!

I think this says more about me than it does about you. Now get off my lawn, lest I brandish my cane in a menacing fashion.

4. RedViv says:

ZUMA!

pertusaria says:

I’m not allowed to play Zuma, because I can’t stop if I start. Used to be a game both my mum and mother-in-law played, which was kind of neat.

6. thecjester says:

Interloper of puny! You suppose the secret of Zuma it is possible to take the knowing so easily? No! There is defect for your thinking!

• willow731 says:

I have occasionally used “Interloper of puny” as an almost-but-not-quite under my breath insult. Only one person has ever understood the reference, but she laughed, and that made it all worthwhile.

7. Danda says:

Zuma is a cool game, but it’s actually a clone from Actionloop:

link to en.wikipedia.org

8. fray_bentos says:

Yeah, it’s crap. It has as much strategy and skill involved as playing snap.

9. Spacewalk says:

No, but I have played Puzz Loop.

10. Shelley says:

It was a unique game for certain. I remember my mother, who normally has trouble hitting ‘Close’ on her first try, play this with APM and precision to rival SC2 pros. It has always amazed me.