Speedrunning mega-marathon AGDQ 2018 starts today

SGDQ 2017

The Games Done Quick events are among my favourite parts of the gaming calendar. Showmanship, absurd levels of skill and a mountain of cash raised for good charitable causes for a week straight, twice a year. The winter event – Awesome Games Done Quick – starts this afternoon at 4:30 GMT and if you’ve never tuned in to watch one of these live on Twitch (or recorded on YouTube), then you’re missing out

While traditionally console-centric, recent years have seen a far higher percentage of PC titles (especially smaller indie games) demolished live, and the schedule for this coming week’s event looks to be continuing that trend.

Handily, the schedule also auto-adjusts itself to your time-zone, and will be updated as anything changes due to a run ending unexpectedly early or late. While the first day is relatively light on PC games, we do at least get to see the notoriously breakable Skyrim abused horribly and completed in an estimated 50 minutes or less. While not quite as easy to smash into a billion pieces as Morrowind, there’s still plenty of strange little bugs to be exploited.

Night-owls and insomniacs should check out the block of games beginning with Arabian Nights on Thursday early morning. The fan-favourite Awful Games Done Quick segment features some of the most spectacularly broken games (and Sub-Terrania, which I still insist is underrated), and tends to involve some of the most amusing commentary of the event, along with the highest potential for things going horribly badly wrong.

Thursday also contains one of the higher concentrations of PC games, with Arkane’s Dishonored getting thoroughly taken apart, with an estimate of just over an hour to complete the game with 100% of collectibles. That means stripping every map completely bare, so expect to see a lot of fast movement; much of it ignoring walls and map boundaries entirely. Arkane’s excellent Prey follows up next. Normally a 20 hour game, but if you’re willing to abuse the Gloo Cannon enough, you can race to the end credits in 15 minutes or less.

The final day of the event is going to be RPG-centric (as is traditional for AGDQ finales) but running Mass Effect, Warcraft 3, Diablo and Baldur’s Gate back to back gives it a fresh, much more PC-tinged flavour. It’ll be interesting to see whether this trend continues into the summer event later this year. Sadly, no Doom this time.

So, what are the runs that you’re personally tuning in for? Plan on just having the event playing in the background for days solid?

1. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Excellent, these are always fun.

One small thing to let people know, the *GDQ team can be quite slow at putting runs up on Youtube, but there are nice folk who’ll often have them uploaded much quicker, so look around.

2. LearningToSmile says:

It’s kinda funny, I rarely watch speedruns, even if I hear about some cool new WR, because I’d rather watch the AGDQ run with commentary. It’s always a fun time.

Looks like there’s a lot of modern games this time around, those are always more fun for me to watch than pre-3D console stuff.

3. gou says:

dying light 3 player co-op under 2 hours, game looks incredible when the parkour really flows, I wonder if all three will be playing the final solo instance or just one of them

4. Catterbatter says:

I like how they’re following Pop’n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure with Magical Pop’n. Those should be fun if the players are chatty.

5. April March says:

I’m actually amazed it takes 50 minutes to speedrun Skyrim. I’d imagine you could run into a wall somewhere and trigger a credits skip.

6. poliovaccine says:

Yknow, I didn’t used to be into speedruns until I read or maybe saw someone via RPS saying how the exploits used to glitch space and therefore time in speedruns feel like they might be analagous to our actual lives in our world – like what you have to do, in order to glitch the universe, is to “do something the universe doesnt expect.” They said they speculate if time travel can or ever will exist it might be in a similar format. I don’t even remember whether that was the article or the video it linked to, and it was just a throwaway comment either way, but even still, ever since that idea I’ve been into speedruns haha. I donno, it just resonates with something.

7. Bull0 says:

I’m not really into this, there’s always some video of someone being horrible to someone else comes out of these events. They do raise a lot of money for charity though and that’s cool.

Drib says:

AGDQ is usually a fun time, and they raise literally millions of dollars for charity. Go watch. Donate if you want. It’s free and occasionally fun and you get to watch people break games.

9. Mezelf says:

Charity? Fuck that, we all know the real reason people watch these things: cringe and autism compilations.

Comment on this story