Fus Vee Ah! Skyrim VR jacking into PC next month

Given that the iconic image of Skyrim is a fella wearing a Knightmare-esque bucket on his head, it’s only fitting that Bethesda want you to strap cybergoggles onto your head to enter the fantasy RPG’s world. Today they announced a PC release for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR, a new standalone version built for cybergoggles. Skyrim VR debuted on PlayStation VR in November 2017, and now it’s headed to PC on April 3rd. It seems a terrible shame that the game doesn’t (as far as I know) use goggle microphones to control dragon shouts.

Skyrim VR is Skyrim, yeah, but in VR. It comes with the Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn DLCs built in. And yes, like Fallout 4 VR it is a wholly separate paid game, not offered as an upgrade and seemingly not offering a discount to existing Skyrim owners.

Bethesda say Skyrim VR uses SteamVR so, despite the recent courthouse rumble between their parent company and Oculus, it will work with HTC Vive and Oculus Rift goggles as well as compatible others. And it’ll support both motion controllers and gamepads.

Doing wizardhands and swinging axes makes Skyrim seem a better fit for VR than Fallout 4, though unless Bethesda have made some changes I suspect some of the problems our Alec had with that might apply here. As he wrote:

“This being Fallout 4 rather than a new Fallout made from the ground up in VR, a lot of the interactions are essentially menu-based rather than physical. You don’t reach out to slap a door open button, for instance, but raise your wand and click a text option to do it. In other words, you’re regularly checking your own actions, going against the psychical intuition that a VR world encourages. All told, I never felt at home with the controls, and wished I could just play it on a gamepad instead – or could just sit with a mouse and keyboard, in front of a nice, crisp monitor.”

Skyrim VR is coming to Steam on April 3rd, priced at £40/€60/$60.

1. Faldrath says:

Today’s lesson in our “How to get people to pay full price for a 6-year old game that they probably already own” course is…

• KaiUno says:

“already own… several copies of”, more like.

I’ll hold off on this one (again) ’till it appears in the bargain bin. Probably enough time for the regular Bethesda jank to be ironed out by the community.

2. suibhne says:

These Bethesda VR remakes interest me, in the sense that they seem somewhat counter-intuitive. Sure, TES and (Bethesda’s) FO games seem to be hallmarks of “immersion” to a large group of gamers, but Bethesda also delivers some of the very worst interface design in a industry full of absolutely terrible interface design. More than anything, VR is an interface problem, not a graphics problem, and Bethesda seems almost uniquely positioned to fail. Yet people will buy this by the boatload, and the end result will continue to shape and constrain the possibilities of VR on the mass market.

• Kefren says:

I failed twice to get into Skyrim due the the UI and controls. I much preferred Morrowind, with the way you could drag items onto your character and rearrange the backpack. So this VR version – if it makes the UI better, I might finally get to play the game. If worse, what a wasted opportunity.

• Hyena Grin says:

I suppose it’s a bit late for all of this, but the modding community solved the junk UI years ago, basically rebuilding the UI entirely and making room for mods to play with the UI as well.

SkyUI is the mod you are looking for. I don’t think it’s officially out for the Skyrim Special Edition (I think it’s in alpha still, as of this comment at least), but it’s been a mainstay in the original game for years. I would imagine the vast, vast majority of people still playing Skyrim post 2015 have been using SkyUI.

UI is no reason to have not played Skyrim, at this point. D=

• Nelyeth says:

Chiming in to say that while SkyUI (and to the same extent, Skyrim Script Extender, the biggest “mod-enabling mod”, that allows things like SkyUI to exist) is in alpha, it works like a charm. I’ve picked up Skyrim again a few weeks ago, went for the special edition, and it’s been running flawlessly so far (90 mods, around 40 hours of gametime).

• Kefren says:

No, I looked at that – it still turned the inventory into a huge spreadsheet/table and looked awful. I was told there were no mods at all that did it in the style of Morrowind/Dungeon Master/Might & Magic/Grimrock etc, where you have a grid you can drag items around, and drag them onto your character to equip them.

3. woodsey says:

And there’s still no (official) field-of-view slider or mouse movement fixes for the original version. Or in Fallout 4, which has also been ported to VR.

Drib says:

But do all the mods work? Even custom animations? I’m… asking for a friend.

• Seafoam says:

I’d also like to know as well. If they do work I believe his could boost VR sales by a slight margin.

5. geldonyetich says:

Skyrim VR uses SteamVR so, despite the recent courthouse rumble between Bethesda’s parent company and Oculus, it will work with HTC Vive and Oculus Rift goggles as well as compatible others. And it’ll support both motion controllers and gamepads.

If this turns out to be true, I’ll probably be on board for the VR release. True, this would be the third version I bought and fourth version I played, but Skyrim is a much more pleasant environment to hang around than the post-apocalyptic Fallout universe, and Fallout 4 VR is unfortunately too difficult and kludgy to get to work with my Oculus.

6. Longshot says:

Wow a Knightmare reference. I was obsessed with it as a kid but probably haven’t thought about it for 20+ years.

7. SaintAn says:

Don’t forget to boycott. Not only did they create paid mods and damage the modding community, they are Trump supporters, gun violence scapegoat enablers, part of the ESA, and make pisspoor products.

• fish99 says:

Skyrim didn’t sell 23M copies due to being pisspoor. It won GOTY on RPS and sits at 94 critic/8.2 user on metacritic.

Also aren’t those political criticisms connected to owners Zenimax rather than Bethesda Game Studios?

Drib says:

Who is ‘they’ here? Bethesda? Zenimax? Trump supporters based on what? Is the entire corporation Trump supporters, or just two or three people? “Gun violence scapegoat enablers” barely even makes sense. What, because someone from the company attended that stupid meeting on videogame violence? Is that also where you’re getting ‘Trump supporters’ from?

You end up coming across as a rambling lunatic when you just spout a bunch of apparently baseless accusations like this. Put some effort in.

8. mitrovarr says:

Well, I’m tempted. I heard a lot of good things about fallout 4 VR, but I didn’t like Fallout 4 that much as a game. I liked Skyrim a whole lot better.

Unfortunately I don’t know if my old video card (970 gtx) can run it. I’d get a new one, but I can’t with the crypto idiots ruining everything.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I would think a 970 would be fine. I’ve certainly never run into an issue with a VR game with mine.

• DoomBroom says:

Valve has some news for you today.

“Today we are excited to introduce a new feature in SteamVR Beta that allows customers to get the best visual experience out of their GPU, lowers the cost of VR, and makes developer’s lives a little bit easier. We’re doing this by custom-tuning application resolution so that it is optimal for each customer’s GPU and VR headset.” link to steamcommunity.com

Though at the moment you have enable SteamVR Beta to test it out.

• neoshifter39 says:

Oculus’s recommended Graphics card is actually the GTX 970. So you golden.

• Titler says:

Also owning a 970GTX, the older Steam Vr test suite stated my system was “Good”, so it should be ok.

However as always with the industry, if you give them access to better hardware, the products bloat to fill all that extra power. So it won’t be “Good” forever.

Which is why we still need Demos today. Or at least seperate benchmarking tools. If they want VR to take off, there needs to be more ways for people to test at home if the rest of their kit measures up first, so they know what other outlay they may still need…

• fish99 says:

A 970 is more like the minimum, especially with games that weren’t made for VR. Keeping 90 fps will probably require some compromise with settings.

9. Smaug says:

Come and see Bethesda sell you the same game for six years straight.

10. AEKR says:

My God are they milking the ashes out of this game…

particlese says:

I wouldn’t mind paying a decent good chunk of change for what amounts to a large engine/gameplay/animation update (and for the VR goodness, of course), but ~68 USD in my region for something I already own [a license to use] more than half of?* I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for a sale since even Fallout 4 VR retains that price.

Zenimax and others are trying to slowly turn us all into one those “5 dollars is way too much for this fabulous and humongous game” people, I bet. Then they’ll have a bigger excuse to turn all their output into f2p loot box parties with ads served directly to your tracked and retina-scanned eyeballs, yay!

Anyway, thanks for saving me the hard drive space for a few more years…

*Assuming the visual and audible art and world and voice acting and remaining engine code and all took more resources than the [not insignificant amount of] new stuff, here.

particlese says:

Wait, blargh, I suppose one could legitimately argue the potential player base is tiny, justifying the larger per-customer price for what likely took far fewer resources to create than their original work did. Still doesn’t make it an attractive price, though. I’ll probably still wait for others to do Bethesda’s/Zenimax’s testing for them, and I’ll continue playing with the wonderful (if slightly janky) free VR support in games like Elite: Dangerous and Subnautica, but I hereby half-heartedly withdraw a non-whole portion of my morning grumps above.

12. ThePuzzler says:

I’ve never played an open world game in VR.

I’ve no idea what it would be like as an experience. Immersive? Wearying? Sickening? All three?

I am not inclined to buy this at full price in order to find out.

• DoomBroom says:

If you own Minecraft (who doesn’t). Then there are both a Windows 10 version and Java version (Vivecraft) both very different from each other. Vivecraft was my fist taste of a humongous open world game in VR.

Vivecraft has most features tailored to VR and does support Rift and Microsoft VR but it’s not as stable and good looking as the windows 10 version on MS store or Oculus store.

• fish99 says:

Subnautica is fantastic in VR (but somewhat flawed due to poor performance and interface issues). Skyrim, if it controls and runs OK, should be even better.

13. Jean76 says:

Why won’t they let Skyrim die.

14. mac4 says:

Yesterday like most above I’d been about to wryly comment shouldn’t this be free for existing game owners. Then figured what the heck, and arguably developing this stuff must cost some.

Now today, out comes Payday 2’s VR mode. For free, for existing game owners: link to store.steampowered.com .

Guess I’m just sayin’. No I don’t own me no VR headset, so it’s all the same to me. I guess ;)

15. Rindan says:

I’m willing to pay full price for Skyrim VR even though I already have the game… but only if it has “full price” VR integration. If they just slapped this shit together and it barely works, I’ll pass. A VR walking simulator over $5 doesn’t interest me. A good Skyrim experience in VR though… that I’ll pay for.

I’ll wait and see, but after the reviews of Fallout VR, my hopes are pretty low. I’d love to wrong, because a good Skyrim VR experience would be a dream.

16. Cinek says:

So, can I interact with the world the normal way, or is it all menus maze, like in Fallout 4 VR?

• David says:

You know, I can’t figure out all the grumblings about FO4VR; so what if you have to lift up your arm to look at the Pipboy, and navigate through its pain-in-arse menus? The rest of the time, I am enjoying the open-world experience, venturing through a wasteland, wondering to myself if we will bring ourselves to this brink and beyond, for real. If Skyrim is that immersive, regardless of how the menu system is laid out, I am going to seriously love it. I have 1132 hours in on the older version of Skyrim, and 25 hours on the Skyrim SE. And as an aside, I just placed my pre-order for Skyrim VR, even if I do have both the original, and SE versions; to me, it is worth it in any generation, or iteration as the case may be.