Duke Nukem Forever Trailer: Actually Here’n'Stuff

By Alec Meer on December 19th, 2007 at 5:05 pm.

Naw, I’m just yanking your chain. The real deal’s after the jump.

HD version available from Primotech here – gentlemen, start your freeze-framing.

Initial thoughts: yep, that’s most definitely a Duke Nukem game. A Duke Nukem game that looks a little bit Doom 3 engine-y, quite frankly, but that may just be me projecting, what with Prey being the last game 3D Realms was even slightly involved with.

Absolutely no idea what it plays like, of course. But hey, it’s fun. Ish.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Slappeh says:

Awwwww bastard – rofl!

2. Alec Meer says:

I suspect it’ll be many hours before the Shacknews page stops collapsing under the weight of the entire internet looking at it, and thus many hours before we’re able to talk about it here. Sigh.

3. Rook says:

I think the joke video is better.

4. H says:

Too funny.

5. Dracko says:

That was underwhelming.

10 YEARS IN MS PAINT!

6. Garth says:

Man, did they get a guy with marshmallows in his mouth to voice Duke? “Mmooes firsppt?”

7. The_B says:

It’s the same guy that’s always voiced it, apparently.

8. Frans Coehoorn says:

If you ask me, it looks dated as hell. But maybe I’m acting like a nine year old spoiled brat who has seen too much UE 3.0 action. Hopefully the gameplay will rock our socks off. I certainly hope so.

9. Wozza says:

Wow that was so not worth the wait, this is already on the Daikitana hit list.

10. Flint says:

T’was better than I expected. I was waiting for the whole teaser to be Duke acting macho on his gym thingy, but it did give some insight towards the look of the game with the snapshots of the new designs of old enemies. Octabrain still looks infernal, which is good.

Other than that, it seems to look a bit too much like Doom 3 and alike. Which is a bad thing in my books, I’m somewhat tired of the whole dark and gloomy thing. Especially since the original Duke was quite a colourful (in nature, even if not graphically) game.

Meh, here’s for waiting for some actual information instead of just tiny teasers.

11. Slappeh says:

Hehe, re-listen to the first trailer and duke sounds much better than marsh mellow mouth there.

12. Kieron Gillen says:

You know the “Don’t Judge” post earlier?

Now, Judge.

KG

13. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Yay for the same theme tune! NOW i’m interested.

14. Nuyan says:

Voice sounds like that simpsons character, forgot the name.

15. Dracko says:

So 3D Realms can’t make a teaser? I’ll reserve judgement until gameplay footage is shown, as that seems to be the implication down the line.

16. Zonderic says:

That whole cigar smoke thing at the end was really bad.

17. I_still_love_Okami says:

Wow! That was like totally…

unimpressive.

Liked the first video better…

18. Tim E says:

We LOLed.

19. H says:

Have to say I preferred the jokey one.

20. Zeno, Internetographer says:

Looks like crap.

If that’s gameplay footage, then boo. If not, then they need to learn that when you make a prerendered trailer, it’s supposed to look good.

21. yns88 says:

If in-game looks very similar to that, it will look nice, but I rather doubt that will be so. Also yeah, the cigarette smoke part was just pathetic.

The teaser makes the game look like it might end up being more serious than I had expected, which is not good. Apart from the panache, DNF will really have nothing at all to deliver unless they pull the world a quick one and make it Duke Ex.

22. Anthony Damiani says:

Not a fan of the voice acting, or the script. The concept (stupid-looking monsters cavort, Duke works out menacingly) could have worked, particularly with the emphasis on *waiting*– the core demographic for this game is well, well aware of the delays, so transforming that into a moment of tension is a reasonably good idea.

Didn’t really work for me, though.

23. Cargo Cult says:

He’s slimy, reptilian and impossibly camp. Eww.

24. John Hummel says:

Wake me up when there’s a game demo. Until then, I’ll just refer to it mentally as Dukekatana and be done with it.

25. kadayi says:

Time to get another voice actor in I think. Sometimes new is better.

26. Schadenfreude says:

Never got Duke at all. Probably ’cause I was intimately familiar with all the movies they outright stole his best lines from (not to mention putting up with idiots who thought they were Duke originals).

Anyhoo, a ‘meh’ from me, but I mehed at Duke 3D too. So at least I’m consistent.

27. SwiftRanger says:

Looks and sounds like ace to me, even the smoke part (HD version). If this really was (re-)started in 2004 then it doesn’t look too bad.

And let’s be serious now, that brilliant E3 2001 trailer had so many good things in it that 3D Realms would be mad if they didn’t put them all back in.

28. Theory says:

Looks and sounds like ace to me

I would disagree, to say the least. I can’t believe they’re trying to make another game on the Doom 3 engine.

29. Radiant says:

Haha!
    Dead Doom 3 marine!

Ok so the ‘blowing smoke in my face’ was really homosexual but I’m really amped for this.

Hopefully the rich men of 3d realms have spent some of their hard earned cash on strip clubs and b movies so this game can be just as offensively hilarious as Duke3d.

Remember when he Duke told that alien he was going to rip his head off and shit down his neck AND THEN ACTUALLY DID IT?*

*exhibit 1 in how cutscenes can be awesome

30. The_B says:

Does everyone remember the Gears trailer?

I think we need to do the same to this one.

“SO MACHO! He’s gotta be…SO MACHO!”

31. Peewee says:

Hm, got me pumped.

32. Richard says:

I liked the bit where nothing interesting was happening.

33. The_B says:

The entire trailer?

“Oooh, SNAP!”

34. Richard says:

No, just the bit between pressing play and seeing the logo.

This was for a Christmas party? I can’t imagine it pumping many people up. “Shit, we’ve got monsters in our game? When did that happen?!”

35. The_B says:

36. Cargo Cult says:

Conversely, a heavily bemuscled game character I could just run up to and give a great big hug.

37. Richard says:

“Perhaps they should’ve just shown a video of someone getting Extreme Fever on Peggle.”

ALWAYS BET ON MASTER HU.

38. DigitalSignalX says:

on the vid’s “reveal” of the new Duke, all I could think of was Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4. Damn this guy is getting old. And toilet bricks? That’s what we get after 10 years??? This game should be so potty mouthed when it finally gets made it to shelves that it spends another couple years getting tossed around like Manhunt2 because of ratings. How about “I’m gonna take a dump on that pretty alien face and wipe my ass with your entire species!” Best I could think of in 5 minutes, surely they could do better in 10 years.

39. Solario says:

What a bunch of killjoys. ;)

I’ll admit that the teaser doesn’t do much for me, but teasers rarely do.

40. The_B says:

Not to tell anyone how they should be doing their non-jobs or anything, and despite this not being the best place to mention, but with all this DNF talk we seem to be missing an important advent. And at 23:51 as I post this, we’re cutting it fine, no?

Sorry for being a moaner. I’m just missing my daily ON NOM NOM. :(

41. James Lyon says:

The trailers disappointing because we’ve waited so long and been given so little. It proves a couple of things, though: that it still exists, and that it’s still Duke Nukem. That’s good enough for me. I don’t care if it’s not the best game ever (though it does have to be good at least – let’s say better than Prey, if that’s not setting the bar too low). As long as it retains the full flavour of its predecessor, I’ll be more than happy.

42. No Picnic says:

The phone vaporware thing is a non-issue for me. If they can put out a good product and recuperate their development costs, it makes little differences.

However, I know this isn’t a game I’ll be purchasing even if I had a top-of-the-line system and $50 burning a hole in my pocket. From what I know about the game, it’s going to be filled with sexual stuff and gratuitous violence. No thanks. I’m not into that. Life is more fulfilling without the smut.

Disclosure: I’m only human, and I make mistakes and struggle with lust same as any guy. But I do not condone it and make every effort to avoid it. When I succeed, I’m much better off.

43. Nallen says:

Nallen
    19-Dec-07 10:10:41 He’s gonna push some weight, stand up, say a line about being back and then the logo is going to go ‘wham’ land on the screen, and then probably explode.

Something is going to explode at any rate.

Oh so predictable.

44. Pete says:

I thought “Looks like Prey” the first time I watched it too, what with the grey normal map theme to things. But then it’s apparently basically their own engine with remnants of some stage of the Unreal engine. *shrug*

45. Mr. Softpants says:

Yeah, seriously, three writhing enemies and an exercising player model. Don’t forget the super witty tag line. Stayed tuned?

I’ll be dead by then. :)

46. Piratepete says:

meh, meh and thrice meh

47. Mouj says:

Alright, those spoof were funnny, so where’s the actual trailer ? :)

48. roryok says:

Things to remember here.

1. The game is not a guy weightlifting and blowing smoke in your face. The game is those flashes of action in between.

2. Prey was an old 3DRealms IP, redeveloped by Human Head Studios and released by 3DRealms. It was not developed by 3DRealms. Max Payne wasn’t either, it was merely funded and published. The last game the core 3DRealms team worked on was Duke Nukem 3D. I don’t think they even had a hand in all those non-PC Duke Nukem games in between

3. IT’S NOT USING THE DOOM 3 ENGINE. And even if it was, Doom 3 didn’t suck because of the doom 3 engine, it sucked because it took the mother of all FPS games and turned it into a really cramped corridor shooter that tried to be scary by having things jump out at you every bloody 3 seconds. Doom wasn’t like that at all. Doom was a mindless blast fest with ridiculous weapons, not a horror game. A decent example of the Doom 3 engine in action is Enemy Territory :Quake Wars.

4. The build demoed back in 2001 looked better than many games I can think of in recent years. The graphics may have aged, but it looked like FUN. If they just took that game and stuck it in a new engine, it’d probably be game of the year. But they didn’t just stick it in a new engine. They spent 7 years developing new content, building in ridiculous levels of user interaction and tweaking the gameplay to perfection.