Duke Nukem Forever Footage

By Kieron Gillen on June 5th, 2008 at 8:00 pm.

Yeah, capturing don't work too well.

When I saw the thread over at Qt3, I presumed I was about to be Rick-rolled. But no. Really. Footage. Hence the blurry grab of the footage of the game that is known as Duke Nukem Forever in the autoplaying footage which you can see beneath the cut.

The end time is nigh.

It’s part of the Jace Hall show. There’s interview with the 3D realm guys, which… well, you’re going to skip it and go to the footage. Start 4:10 in…

First impressions: Duke Nukem Forever is a First-person shooter video-game.

Mr Hall also asks ‘em why it’s taking so long (3:30, for skipping around fans). Hookers and Cocaine is blamed, which we understand. Also other things. This quote is lovely:

George Broussard: “There’s a lot of mistakes and lessons we had to learn. But most of all, there’s also been a lot of World of Warcraft”
Scott Miller: “We want our Duke… but we also want our level 70 character”

Life is hard.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. phuzz says:

Bloody hell, there’s going to be some hats eaten now.
    Unless it’s an elaborate hoax of course.
    Let the trolling begin!

2. The Fanciest Of Pants says:

First-person it surely is. Other then that… erm.. well it isn’t total bullocks which is an achievement.

Side note; Rick Astley, does not forgive, does not forget.

3. Pidesco says:

If it doesn’t cure AIDS and ends all wars it is a disappointment.

Why is Jason Hall making tv shows, by the way?

4. Ging says:

I noticed that it seemingly popped up what was either a score or a dollar value whenever they killed anything – that seems, jarring.

5. Chris Evans says:

Who is Jace Hall? This is madness!

6. Al3xand3r says:

Prey + Half-Life 2 = Duke Nukem Forever? Could be good I guess, it’s all up to the content’s quality and the fun you can get out of it.

7. CrashT says:

Jason Hall, formerly with Monolith and head of Warner Brother’s Interactive Entertainment division.

8. Feet says:

The man helped bring us No One Lives Forever. I like him.

DNF shaky cam footage? Meh.

9. Raziel_axd says:

One of the reasons DNF is taking so long is WoW? I hope someone nukes the 3DRealms studios.

10. CrashT says:

Looks like a slightly better looking version of Prey which I guess I can live with, if it has the level of interactivity in the environments that Duke Nukem 3D had.

Man, most of my time at school was spent making things in Build… it’s pretty weird to be seeing new Duke Forever footage ten years later.

11. major says:

Wow it doesn’t look like garbage. I’m very surprised at this.

12. Smee says:

Start to crate rating of 7 seconds. Not too bad.

13. fluffy bunny says:

“Wow it doesn’t look like garbage. I’m very surprised at this.”

Really? Did you seriously expect it to look like garbage? Wow.

14. Optimaximal says:

If World of Warcraft is their primary excuse since 2004, what about the other 10 years?

15. sana says:

One of the reasons DNF is taking so long is WoW? I hope someone nukes the Blizzard studios.
    Fixed!

16. Joe says:

@ The Fanciest Of Pants

Nor is he ever gonna give you up, or let you down.

17. Frans Coehoorn says:

I’m surprised we still have an economy, seeing World of Warcraft ruining everything and all. Even DNF got delayed because of precious lvl 70′s. Unbelievable. ;)

18. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Looks kind of… boring.

19. Nimic says:

Am I the only one who instantly thought “Serious Sam” when watching that footage? That could seriously (pun only realized when written) have said “Serious Sam 3: Deadly Serious”, and I wouldn’t have doubted it one bit.

20. Meat Circus says:

How can there be in-game footage of a hoax game that does not and has never existed?

21. monchberter says:

@ Nimic. I’m with you on the Serious Sam shout, and for a start, Serious Sam is probably more well known than Duke among the youngling gamers out there.

Then again, i’m a fan, and i drink my tea out of a Serious Sam mug at work. :)

22. restricted3 says:

@kieron, aubrey

Jason Hall:

Search for “Got $100 on Thresh?”

As for DNF, it looks nothing special after all this time. It will still be a joke even if it gets 10′s everywhere. Not surprising considering where it comes from.

23. Scandalon says:

It looks like Duke Nukem. In 3D. (Er, real 3D, not 2.5D.)

So, yea, 40+ year old man-children making the same game…

(Not that I’m entirely dismissing this type of game, but when that’s pretty much the only thing I’ve seen from these guys…)

P.S. – The show was pretty horrible too. Watching it full screen when our secretary came in to see “Group Sex” in big letters was pretty not cool, either.

24. Dinger says:

I say this with the greatest respect for Duke Nukem 3D: watching that thing made me lose 10 IQ points. And I didn’t have that many to give in the first place.

25. major says:

@fluffybunny
    Yes, yes I did.

26. Cigol says:

Heh, it’s going to suck, can’t wait for the internet breaking on the day of it’s release.

27. Rook says:

Anyone else getting severe Daikatana vibes from this game? I half expected to see at treefrog in amongst all those shitty grubs they have running around.

28. MeestaNob! says:

When the shaky cam footage came up I nearly punched my computer.

I’m so sick of the bullshit, come on, if it exists, why cant they show us something that I can actually see.

-Apathy level: RISING.

EDIT: And btw, auto-starting lag fest videos – NOT COOL.

29. McTecman says:

I’m not really sure what I like and what I dislike about this… some things looked polished (loved the Chaingun and Devastator looks, appreciate the minimalistic menus), some things (like the white-ish look of the Shrinker that reminded me heavily on the Portal gun) felt off…

@Ging : That’s an Ego counter, you get Ego points for kills, kind of like in that platformer DN game I can’t recall the name of.

30. fluffy bunny says:

@Major
    Well, okay. That was a bit foolish of you, then. :-)

I mean, seriously – I can understand that some people doubt the game will live up to the expectations or that it’s going to be old-fashioned or… well, lots of things. But I can’t understand that someone would actually think it’s going to be garbage. That’s just nuts.

Basically, there are two alternatives here:
    1. Duke Nukem Forever is going to be a pretty good game. Could be anything from Prey-good to HL2-good.
    2. It’s never going to get released.

And right now, it seems 1 is most likely. What’s not likely, at all, is that they would release a crap game after all this time. After everything they’ve said and all the years they’ve wasted due to not wanting to release a game they weren’t satisfied with in the first place, that’s just not going to happen.

31. terry says:

This would be the most amazing thing ever but its not in 2d and there seems to be no green yamo

32. Saflo says:

The fear is less that it’s going to be unplayable crap and more that it’s basically going to be a remake of Duke 3D with shiny graphics, which would be incredibly lame of them to do at this point.

33. Nick says:

Yeah, but I’d still enjoy playing it.

34. Ozzie says:

I think it’s going to be just okay.
    It looks technically solid, but else totally boring.

I nearly felt asleep while watching this footage…

35. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I’m not sure what took them so long to make a game that seems like this, even if it is pretty shiny. I guess Penny Arcade was on the money when it accused 3D Realms of playing Everquest the whole time.

36. DragonSix says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking too.

37. Chris R says:

Man, the video doesn’t work for me, no matter which site I access it from. Probably for the best anyway.

38. Pijama says:

“And in the End Times, thou shalt see the release of DNF – And all shall despair.”

-> Gamer’s Bible.

39. Mark says:

Did I hear someone say “shrink ray” in that video? That sounds interesting.

40. Erlam says:

Probably the best thing going for this game is that the developers have absolutely no problem making fun of themselves.

As long as it’s hilariously-in-bad-taste, I’m there.

I think it will do much, much better than most people would think.

41. Fazer says:

!Spoiler alert!

Best question ever:
    “I say this with all love that anyone could possibly say.. WTF IS TAKING SO LONG?!” XDD

Also, who is that guy with a pipe?

42. Razor says:

Holy. Shit.

43. Albides says:

Duke who?

44. S-Guy says:

That’s a pretty good screenshot. O_O
    The gun in the screenshot looks kinda like the chaingun from Duke Nukem 3D.

45. Mo says:

Everyone has been taking the piss out on DNF, but I always have, and still maintain that the game will be great. I base this around two reasons:

First, that the game hasn’t been in development for 12 years. It’s been 4/5 years. The difference between DNF and Daikatana is that Daikatana never had a reboot. The DNF we know (and love) now is not the same game that was announced 12 years ago. Heck it isn’t even the same game that was shown at E3 2001. Therefore the game isn’t going to be “aged” tech-wise or gameplay-wise (except where intentional for the latter).

My second reason is the E3 2001 trailer. I know you’ve already seen it, but just watch it. Seriously, watch it. Doesn’t it look amazing? I’d play that game if it came out today, aged graphics and all. In terms of the set-pieces, interactivity, etc, it looks way ahead of its time considering HL2 came out 3 years later. If they scrapped that to make something better … holy crap.

In conclusion: Always Bet On Duke. :)

46. Lucky says:

If I somehow figured out how to make the video play, I’d have something more to say than that I’ve always believed in DNF and hope that it’s going to rule.

47. Anthony Damiani says:

So, uh…. the video don’t run on my machine.

I’m sure I could get that fixed, but it seems so very apt…

48. RichPowers says:

I think the interwebs is just angry that a tried ‘n true meme will be lost once the game is actually released.

But since it will never be released, we can go on making silly jokes about it until the end of time. :)

Comment on this story