Tim Schafer Confirms No Brutal Legend For PC

By John Walker on July 2nd, 2009 at 9:14 pm.

You can do your own joke here.

Eurogamer conducted a live interview with Mr Tim Schafer this afternoon. You can read the results over here, but a couple of points more pertinent to our fields are highlighted below. The major headline would be: Brutal Legend definitely isn’t coming to PC, despite all our mewling and whining. There’s also some interesting comments about his thoughts on the potential for a Grim Fandango sequel.

So this will probably be the last time we’ll crowbar a reference to Brutal Legend onto the site. Our plan at first was to just assume it would be annouced for PC so nonchalantly that Double Fine would assume they’d made this decision at some point and get on with it. Then it turned to pleading. But when directly asked during the EG live chat, he confirmed it would not:

Gurrah asks: I’ll keep it short: No PC version, why? I’m sad.

Tim Schafer: Well it’s really an action game, that when you play it you’ll see that it was meant to be on a console.

My question is, ‘Why all the hate for consoles?’ If you hate consoles, that means you hate Katamari Damacy, Okami, ICO, and you are in fact a bad person. A bad person who should send all their hate mail to Eurogamer and not to me.

Super Moderating Hero: Cheeky! Will there ever be a PC version? Is there hope?

Tim Schafer: We are really focused on the Xbox 360 and PS3 version right now.

It’s perhaps not the most fortunate reply. While we recognise that some games just are built around a gamepad, and don’t map to mouse/keyboard in a way the developer can support, it would have been perhaps more tactful to explain it like that. There’s no question that PC fanboys have made a loud and unpleasant sound around the subject, and reading through such vitriol and hate can’t have endeared anyone at the developer to considering a port. But such loud-mouthed morons are by far in the minority amongst those who hoped the game would be coming to their chosen platform. I’m sure those who simply don’t own 360s or PS3s would prefer not to be lumped in with the haters. We entirely agree with Schafer’s remarks – people who hate glorious console games are rubbish-faces. They’re just not representative of most PC gamers.

However, let’s not get worked up. The reality is, Brutal Legend is not for PC, which is a shame. The lessons here are: If you believe something enough in your heart it isn’t any more likely to happen, and wanting something enough isn’t enough. And fairies aren’t real.

Later Eurogamer asked how Tim would feel if someone were to remake something like Grim Fandango. It’s awesome to see the passion he still has for the game in his reply.

Super Moderating Hero: Would you like Telltale to remake any other of the games you had a hand in? What about Grim Fandago? Is that a decision you have a say in?

Tim Schafer: I don’t have any say in that, really, since I don’t own that properly. Even though I like those guys, anybody but me making a Grim Fandango game would really make me very sad. Whenever I hear a rumor about someone making Grim 2, I literally can’t sleep that night.

Hard to explain. I feel a very personal connection with those games. That’s one of the main reasons I started Double Fine. So I could have a say in what was done with the characters and worlds we make up. And so with Psychonauts or Brutal Legend, if anything happens with those stories, you know it will come from us!

You can read the rest of the interview here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Wazzle says:

Well that’s sort of cold of Mr. Schafer, don’t you think? I mean, unless I’m mistaken, the adventure games he used to make were exclusively for the PC, and now he’s turned his back on it… humph. Well, I never thought the game looked very good to begin with, so there.

2. LewieP says:

LewieP confirms “fuck you” to Tim Schafer.

( <3 )

3. Dominic White says:

“My question is, ‘Why all the hate for consoles?’ If you hate consoles, that means you hate Katamari Damacy, Okami, ICO, and you are in fact a bad person.”

Amen to that. The PC has its strengths, but if you’re a true gamer, then you’ll cast aside petty bias and enjoy it all.

4. Dominic White says:

Seriously, anyone who hates Katamari is a bad person. No arguing with it. It’s a sign that you’ve had your inner child surgically removed by fun-hating robots.

5. qrter says:

What if you don’t have the means to cast aside petty bias and enjoy it all?

6. Dead Fish says:

sadface… :(

They should just add “Official Xbox 360 Controller” to the minimum requirements and port it over, if that makes em feel better.

I almost want to buy a cheap 360 just for this game. :/

7. Serondal says:

This is sad. When I first saw the preview for this game I was very excited (though it didn’t say it would be on the PC at that time) I love Jack Black related humor in small doses and this looked like it would have been really fun and funny.

8. bitkari says:

The PC really has become the first wife of gaming.

So many studios have created games with the support and encouragement of PC gamers. They’ve built up their tools, and studios to become world leaders in their field.

But no sooner do they hit the big time when all of a sudden they run off with a pretty 20 year old called Nadine, and leave poor PC alone in the cold.

PC will again have it’s day again, though.

When Xbox contracts a horrible red ring infection, or PS3 really starts to sag in the performance department, the venerable PC and all its virtues will look all the more attractive due to its constant surgery regimen, easy-going nature and cracking tits sorry the metaphor broke down three paragraphs ago, but you get the idea.

9. Serondal says:

Yah this idea that you can’t port a game over to PC because the controls wouldn’t be right is BS! Mouse and keyboard give you way more freedom than a joypad can AND there are like 900 diffrent joypads you can buy and plug into your PC to play the game with if someone can’t go on with just Mouse and keyboard.

That’s like saying “Well, we didn’t make the Flight Sim for PC because it is hard to fly with a mouse and keyboard” and just totally ignore the fact that there are joysticks out there O.o

10. Marty Dodge says:

Ah well, a game that looks interesting that I won’t be bothering with for sure. What a dumb decision.

11. pkt-zer0 says:

Bah. Not getting a console just for a single game, even if it’s Brütal Legend.

12. ShineDog says:

Serondal, while you are right on the availabilty of pads for the PC, the mouse and keyboard doesnt have more freedom than a joypad, particularly for a brawler like this, for which is almost patently unsuitable.

Can you imagine playing god of war with mouse and keys?

13. Sagan says:

Well I’m still hoping that maybe EA will make someone port it to PC.
    I don’t have anything against consoles, I just don’t have one. Nothing personal really, but I don’t even have the time to play all the PC games I want to play. Why would I make that problem worse by buying a console?

14. pkt-zer0 says:

BTW, Katamari Damacy, Okami, ICO are all PS2 games, so one could still be hating current-gen consoles and be a decent person.

15. goodgimp says:

I’d rather pay $50 to take a nap than play this game, so no real loss for me. Sorry for those who were looking forward to it, though.

16. Serondal says:

I’ve played every game that comes out on the PC with mouse and keys which includes GTA:SA and Prince of Persia Sands of Time . I obviously have to admit that the keyboard and mouse don’t give you as fine controls when it comes to games where they are required (like games that involve driving where you need exact control of your speed and turns) But a game like this would do just fine with keyboard and mouse. Mindless violence does not require exact controls. I’m guesing the vehicles in the game (if you can actually play driving them) Only have 2 speeds Stop and Go.

17. Serondal says:

@tapanister – LMAO, you paint a horrible picture indeed with the situation you describe and I hope it befalls him as well. If not that I hope Lucas Arts sells it to Cartoon Network and redoes the entire game with Grim from Billy & Mandy.

18. skizelo says:

I don’t hate games on consoles: they’re just lost, the poor dears. And I’m choosing to interpret “We are really focused on the Xbox 360 and PS3 version right now” as a declaration that it will eventually find it’s way home.

19. Lack_26 says:

@bitkari,

I think it’s time PC gaming started sleeping with that lovely Doctor next door.

20. DMJ says:

Because action games never work on PC.

Hmph.

Is this a new marketing thing? Like the opposite of a platform exclusive? A platform exclusion? Coming soon, to all platforms EXCEPT PC.

21. LewieP says:

wanting a game to be available on your preferred platform, and “hating” other platform(s) are completely different things.

22. Bremze says:

Well the game seemed nice until I found out Jack Black is involved with it, so this doesn’t bother me.

23. subedii says:

I realise he’s not a diplomat or anything, but with an answer like that I’m not surprised that nerdrage soon followed.

Ah well, Guess I’ll have to console myself (unintentional pun, I promise ) with the fact that despite it was DEFINITELY not made with the PC in mind, SFIV is en-route.

I just think it would have been better all round if he had given the honest answer of “We don’t believe it would be financially viable to port, we just don’t think it’d make the money back, it’s not that kind of game that typically does well on the platform”. Rather than the troll bait response of how you must be a console hater instead. Yes I realise it was meant to be a joke response, but it’s not as if the guy asking the question was particularly impolite, it would have been fair to give him a decent answer.

24. Serondal says:

BTW Tim Shafter (lmao) Psychonauts sucks and deserved to fail.

25. DMJ says:

Simultaneous launch for the PS3, Xbox360, and Wii are planned, along with a ‘stripped down’ version for the PSP and DS. Rumours that the game will also be adapted for the iPod, home DVD players and Samsung microwaves are unconfirmed.

26. Nimdok says:

It’s less about bias and more about MONEY. I have a PC. I don’t have a PS3 or Xbox360. I am not going to shell out 300-400 dollars, or even 200, just to pay another 50-60 for a game I want to play; I’ll go without rather than wasting the money.

27. Vinraith says:

“Brutal Legend is not coming to PC”

Then why do I give a shit about it?

28. Eli Just says:

Sucks for him, cus I wanted to buy it, and now I wont. And if it’s released 6 months late on pc, I’ll probably pirate it. I hate devs treating the PC like a second string platform. I don’t own a console and I don’t want to, because they’re worse than PC. I can plug a controller into my PC, I can’t really use a keyboard and mouse on a console (except UT3 on PS3). His excuse is total BS, so fuck paying for his shit.

29. MrBejeebus says:

I’m dissapointed its not on PC, its my preferred platform, seems like “I’ll have to break my I’m not going to buy any more console games” vow…

30. John Walker says:

Well, with comments as erudite as Serondal’s, and indeed those I’ve deleted for being filled with sweary awfulness, whatever could Schafer have been thinking?!

31. Serondal says:

I saw a “making of” show on G4 that showed this team making Pyschonauts from start to finish (shipping it off to be pressed or something) Based on that I can tell you, in my opinion the company as a whole is totally unprofessional. The honest reason that they’re not going to do a PC port is probably that they lack the skill/man power/ and money to attempt it. It takes a lot more testing and optimization to make a PC game.

32. Vinraith says:

@John Walker

Personally, I blame the poster that accused non-console gamers of being bad people for starting the flame war. You should delete that guy’s comments.

33. Dead Fish says:

If Capcom can release Street Fighter IV next week, then how does Schafer’s argument hold up at all? Both games “were meant to be on a console” and yet SF4 is going to have an audience on the PC while BL doesn’t get that chance. EA just hasn’t figured it out yet.

34. Serondal says:

I was being sarcastic Walker, to a certain point. I honesly didn’t like the game though, and it did sell poorly even though it was reviewed well and got awards ect.

35. Heliocentric says:

Eat a poo Schafer, i don’t hate consoles, the ds lite is a fucking masterpiece and the n64 and snes have some of the all time best games ever. Its just the 360 has all its best titles ported+extra fee’s for multi and the ps3 is a mess, neither have a control method which suits the precision i’ve come to expect from controllers(but the ds does) and the games are over priced and dependant on physical media, not to mention the dependency of playing on a television which is a poor mans monitor.

But no, instead i’ll just tell you to eat a shit and confirm that i’m just a hater because i play on a pc, bravo.

36. Vinraith says:

@Serondal

Yup, and if he’d said “we don’t have the resources” instead of trolling PC gamers, there’d be less flaming and more people interested in his next project.

37. Nighthood says:

I was semi interested in this game, now I’m not. One little observation is that Schafer seems to WANT to be a wanker by basically saying the PC can’t handle action games, which is an obvious lie, as it has for years. It sounds like they couldn’t afford to put it on PC, and just won’t back down and admit it. Either that or he’s trying to woo the console fans by insulting the PC like they do. A shame really.

38. distended says:

Honestly, I don’t really see the big story is. There are loads of console-only games out there, including some good ones, so why the debate about this particular game (which, if I’m honest, does sound quite console-y)?

39. Serondal says:

That’s the first time I’ve ever been called erudite sarcastically and I must say it stings. If I weren’t at work I’d be crying more than I already am.

40. Tei says:

The consoles can have all the dumbified games. Third Person Shotters with Quick Time Events. Movie tie-ins. And games that are just bad. I laught at trash like Gears of War.
    Is the God of War 2 and Mario Galaxy that we are losing, and are good games. But he!.. If you really miss these titles, you can always buy a WII or a PS2. Or play these games in the house of a friend.

I hate the consoles because I love freedom.
    You can’t have freedom in the console market. The creator of the console rules over what you can run and what you can’t run. This is deal-break to me. But is worst than that. These creators don’t let people modify the games thenselves. The console is much like a “black-box” where only approved games can run. I don’t understand how other people approve such scheme, but to me is intolerable.. and something that sould be illegal.

Ok, I do understand why other people can tolerate something like that. People withouth creative feelings can use a consoles in a act of “consumism”. Microsoft/dice or other company create a experience, and the guy “consume” it. That’s is. With no control over the experience. If you want to change the FOV of the game, you are f****, If you want to change the resolution, remove the gloom, or replace the models of the women NPC’s, so all are naked, you can’t. But people don’t seems to need that.

41. Dante says:

@ Wazzer

“I mean, unless I’m mistaken, the adventure games he used to make were exclusively for the PC, and now he’s turned his back on it… humph. Well, I never thought the game looked very good to begin with, so there”

I think that’s the point, those games belonged on the PC and were PC only, this game belongs on a console and is console only.

Personally I would rather play a third person action game on a console, just like I’d rather play an RTS on a PC, it just makes sense that way.

42. Heliocentric says:

Its an issue because the man used to be a bedrock source of excellent design (if not implementation) on the pc. Now he’s following his money masters to rrp $60 land, i hope the game crashes and burns. Not out of bitterness, just so we can have him back, or he can develop for the ds, thats good too.

43. Archonsod says:

Meh. Looks like a generic third person actioner with that annoying fat American I’d like to punch in the face. Repeatedly.

As for a metal game, they’ve yet to beat Ed Hunter …

44. Bulstrode says:

Awww, it’s not that I hate PS3 and 360, I just don’t have a PS3 or 360. Curses, Tim Shafer!

45. Gap Gen says:

I would be tempted to buy a 360 for this. Like I’m so, so tempted to buy a DS so I can play Scribblenauts.

46. Citizen Parker says:

Despite explaining himself somewhat poorly, I think they are making the right business decision. Given the commercial success of previous Double Fine projects, I would put all of my eggs in one basket and focus on making it great, rather than expend development time on a smaller market or sub-contracting the PC port.

The former reduces your overall likelihood of success, and the latter runs the risk of tarnishing their carefully-crafted image. Once they become very successful on consoles, that might be the time to consider expanding into the PC sphere. (see also: Valve)

Just because I agree with him doesn’t make me like the end result any more, however. `Tis a shame.

47. Serondal says:

@Archonsod – I’m in the game?!?! WTF mate

48. MS says:

“The consoles can have all the dumbified games.”

You know, I see this brought up in many of the odd “console vs. pc” flame wars. I’m curious: what exactly qualifies as being a “dumbified” game for consoles?

49. elmuerte says:

I don’t hate consoles. I hate paying a shit load of money for games just because the console makers need a return on the hardware. Also, I don’t see why I would spend money to buy a console just to play games. I have a perfectly working computer on which I can play games. I would also need to buy a TV to hook up the console to.

Not saying I won’t buy a console ever, just saying I’m not planning to buy one in at least the next 4 months.

50. Nick says:

Eh, the only games that “belong” on a console are multi person in the same room games.. sofa gaming. Action game requiring gamepad should work exactly the same on a PC or console.. shirley?