MOW:AS To Get Open Beta…

By Jim Rossignol on August 13th, 2010 at 2:20 pm.

if 10,000 people sign up to the Steam group. Hmm, I’m a little conflicted by this. On the one hand I want you all to sign up so that Men Of War: Assault Squad can have an open beta, simply so that you can see how awesome it actually is. And on the other, well, they should just have an open beta! I’ve already rambled a bit here about how superb the co-op missions are, and I feel like I should talk more about the special units, such as conscription for the Russians, or the epic tank battles, or the incredible details that make the thing come alive. I’ve been playing the hell out of the closed beta and it’s sitting at the top of my contenders for game of the year right now. I know certain other RTS games are dominating the headlines, but this is ten thousand times more absorbing. It’s going to be a nutritious feast of a game. I’ll write more about it next week. In the meantime, go sign up!

, , .

1. gumbomasta says:

OOOOhhh, more Men Of War goodness. I just joined the group and they’re at 650 or so… I think it might be a bit ambitious for them to be going for 10,000, but maybe i’ll be proven wrong. Great that AS is shaping up to be slamming. I just beat the Soviet Campaign in the original Men of War and it has the weirdest ending. Mild spoiler… random soldiers do that famous Russian dance to Eastern European heavy metal in what looks like 1940s Berlin. Totally random, but oddly charming.

2. Bascule42 says:

Sounds a good publitk stunt if you ask me. Good mind you. Joined. 1226 members as of…Now!

3. Dao Jones says:

I am not big into RTS games, but I will join to support… whoever needs support!

4. monkeybreadman says:

Hmm says 628 members to me

5. Huggster says:

PvP is rock hard against the experienced players. I’ve done some 1v1, 2v2 and 5v5 maps. It gets very messy and violent. You get the impression the other players win by judicious use of correct units and strategy – most of the time – rather than cheesy tricks.

Please can some of you sign up for the closed beta? My tag is TheWoodpigeon.

I am guessing this gets publicity for the paid/closed beta as people may not wait for the open ;-). The DMS forums are down at the moment though, or were for days.
    I never played Men of War MP which would have helped.
    If anyone needs convicing look up “PrinceOfMacedon” on youtube – he is entertaining (its Men of War but it looks and plays very similar, AS is apparently more balanced and infantry focused).

You do get some willy fondling / waving – sorry I mean discussion – over the military hardware in the forums but you can avoid that, though you do need to know the strength and weakness of the units to avoid getting creamed. There are some good guides if you hunt, or even better play some skirmish games, or start a PvP map and shoot up your own units to test things out.

I would recommend playing through MoW first though to get to grips with the interface if you never played the series, its cheap now.

6. TychoCelchuuu says:

They’re uh…

They’re not going to get 10k fans. Men of War just isn’t mainstream enough for that.

Also, Huggster, I’m sad that you mentioned PrinceOfMacedon but not also me :p

7. Huggster says:

Sorry dude I missed your channel somehow!
    I will rectify this situation.

8. LintMan says:

After all the rave reviewsof the original MoW, I went out and got it. And hated it. I lost interest in continuing after the 2nd or 3rd mission.

• Huggster says:

I can see how you might not like it. What was it in particular?

• Jim Rossignol says:

The second mission is the best RTS level ever.

• Huggster says:

You know, the biggest lesson that mission taught me was that its okay to lose units – a lot of units.
      It has taken me a long time to get out of the SHoWW2 “reload if you lose one commando” frame of mind.

This is even more true in PvP where its like a meatgrinder – “Whoops, there goes my rangers, nevermind”.

its like the film Hamburger Hill.

• LintMan says:

I think my dislike was pretty much based on what you just mentioned, Huggster: I couldn’t (or was unwilling to) break out of that “reload if you lose one commando” frame of mind. I’ve played too many previous games where if you keep playing after the losses you end up at the end of the mission discovering that you don’t have enough guys left to get the job done so you have to replay the whole thing.

• Tetragrammaton says:

@Lint – Even so, I really recommend you try and get back into it, its one of the most interesting and rewarding strategy titles ive ever played, though it does take some time to wrap your head around it. But once you discover the possibilities, you’ll be hooked. There are just so many ways you can complete each mission and the sheer amount of stuff you can fuck about with. Id also recommend using the slow time slider and plenty of direct control to start with, as its a punishing game without. It really reminds me of dwarf fortress in that it can genuinly be fun to fail in some missions.
      P.S. Star-control ftw.

9. pipman300 says:

thought that said mom ass.

10. Pod says:

I really like every game in this series from S:HOWWII and up. But they can fuck off if they think I’m joining a facebook group as part of a populairty contest, or even joining an ‘open beta’.

Just release the game + demo plz.

11. subedii says:

Alright, so with Starcraft 2 multiplayer, some SupCom 2 multiplayer still holding my interest, and an upcoming addon for DoW2, and RUSE back on the table with their removal of the DRM, I’m pretty much full up for RTS action this year.

Personally it’s a coin flip between Men of War, and RUSE. So convince me, what’s so good about this game?

IIRC I tried the demo of MoW ages ago but I couldn’t figure out anything from it, so that wasn’t a big help.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

Men of War is insanely detailed, wonderfully intricate without being overly complex (at least once you get familiar with everything), audacious and multifaceted, and incredibly tactical. My YouTube channel has gameplay videos, which is the best way to learn about the game, I’d say [/blatant self promotion].

Then again RUSE looks pretty awesome too so maybe that’s a good pick too. I didn’t have time to try it out much during the free weekend (and I still don’t).

• TychoCelchuuu says:

Also, since I know you from the PA forums, you could check out the testimonials in the PA forum thread.

• Thants says:

I’ve tried a couple times and I just can’t seem to get into Men of War. It just seems like Company of Heroes but with a much worse interface. People do seem to love it though, I’m willing to blame myself for not being able to get into it.

12. smokingkipper says:

The second mission was physically exchausting! I can remember running into the living room and telling the wife how I managed to just about hang on. Funny how she was not too interested.

This article has re-perked my interest and I am currently reinstalling for another blast.

• Huggster says:

I hear you re: wife – I gave up telling gaming stories long, long ago.

13. oatish says:

The second level was the like the boss fight at the end of the 1st level in Ninja Gaiden. You prove… you earn the right to move on to the rest of the game… like somehow just paying the entrance fee of $40 bucks just doesn’t cut it.

• Huggster says:

Indeed. I remember how punishing Commandos was when it first came out, but when a game is that hard it is all the more rewarding when you beat it.

14. Atrophis says:

I came here to recommend TychoCelchuuu videos as they are by far the best MoW vids on youtube but the man himself has already chimed in! You crack me up mate.

Macedon is awesome at TW but his MoW videos are a bit boring imo and do dont seem to do the game justice.

Anyways i really want to get into MoW mp but i think im just going to wait for Assualt Squad. Just have too much to play at the minute :(

15. EBass says:

I still feel Men of War is at its best when you control small amount of units. You simply can’t micro massive amounts of them, and restocking them all on ammo during a big firefight is a nightmare.

That said some of the missions Red Tide through you into with a small squad was ridiculous.

• Tetragrammaton says:

I found the key with redtide was to take your sweet time and spend some time planning your strategy. Also scouting the map for possibilities: I remember one mission that took me an absolute age (key to kerch, i think) Until i discovered a howitzer parked right at the back of the map which was only accessible if you drove a tank at full speed over a cliff (praying that it landed upright) Then setting up a complex ambush to take our a light tank and a couple of anti-infantry guns. All the while intercepting the odd half-track that trundled through out of nowhere to ruin your carefully planned machinations. Good times.

16. Tetragrammaton says:

P.S. Star-control ftw.

17. Tetragrammaton says:

Also a question to those who have sampled MOWAS: Have they improved the AI and pathfinding?

• Huggster says:

Infantry respond much better (they use bazookas and AT grenades more?). Pathfinding – not so sure.

Its the age old quandry when you have 30 units under fire – to direct control or not direct control unit x.