Oh My Goodness: Super Crate Box

By Quintin Smith on October 20th, 2010 at 2:04 pm.

So it turns out you all need to put at least half an hour aside this Friday. Why? Because that’s when indie freeware title Super Crate Box is released. Dutch devs Vlambeer sent us a preview build, and it’s inspiringly competent stuff. You know condensed milk? Super Crate Box is like that, only with fun instead of milk.

You can watch a video beneath the jump, but the set-up is as follows: Collect crates to increase your score, avoiding the enemies that never stop dropping from the ceiling. Each crate equips you with a randomly determined, nuanced weapon, and if an enemy makes it to the hole at the bottom of the level they drop back out of the ceiling in a new, nightmare-fast form.

If you’re a dab hand at papercraft, Vlambeer are currently hosting a competition to win a surprising wealth of Super Crate Box merchandise. Go have a look, if it sounds like your sort of thing.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Koozer says:

Heh, reminds me of Viking Bazooka Bloodbath. I may almost certainly consider thinking about contemplating trying it out.

Also, papercraft is for wusses, real men do Origami.

2. Eclipse says:

Jwaap rules, I love his games and his new Vlambeer indie studio seems will kick ass too

3. brog says:

This game is fantastic.

4. Huggster says:

Looks like a Bubble Bobble for 2010

5. jonfitt says:

Looks a bit hard to see what’s going on, especially when the bullets seem to teleport forwards.
    Is that just the trailer being overly cerrrrazy?

6. Mashakosha says:

I’m looking forward to this more than New Vegas. And I’ve only just heard of this. And I wasn’t looking forward to NV at all, so it’s not a huge accomplishment… But still, I’ll give this a go.

7. Heliocentric says:

Nice internal conflict, you want crates, but you know you’ll get your weapon scrambled. Nice. Randomised pickups have existed for an eon, i wonder what other gaming principles could be pushed into the focus.

8. pupsikaso says:

How do you lose? Does touching the enemies kill you?

9. Seamus says:

Oh dear lord, you freaking bet I want this!!

10. PleasingFungus says:

I’ve been playing (private) betas of this for a few months now, and I can assure you all that it is at least as great as it looks, if not moreso. The first time you fire the minigun, you will feel delight. I just wish I was any good at papercraft.

11. BAReFOOt says:

Like condensed milk?
    So you’re saying that technically, it’s not a game (not milk) anymore, but that it creates lots of data corruption (allergies), because it’s basically just a pile of tiny pieces of junk (denatured [=wrecked] proteins)?
    Ouch. ^^

P.S.: Yes, go ahead and ask a biochemist, if condensed milk is still milk. I’ll give you 50€ if he doesn’t laugh at you for even having doubts. :P

• Lambchops says:

On the other hand it’s fucking tasty. Hopefully like this game (although in the “ooh nice gameplay” sense of tasty rather than actually being on edible media or something).

• pupsikaso says:

Edible media. My gosh! Is that the next step up from interactive media?

12. Tam-Lin says:

God, but I miss Old Man Murray. I’m not sure even Portal really compensates for their loss. (The younger set should see this. (Some day, the fact that I attended Case Western Reserve University at the same time as Chet and Erik will impress someone.)

Comment on this story