Khaaan: Civilization V DLC Released

By Quintin Smith on October 26th, 2010 at 10:21 am.

This isn't Genghis Khan, it's Nebuchadnezzar II. OBVIOUSLY.

A gift! A gift, straight from Mr. Sid Meier himself. If you’re quick, you might even get a whiff of mothballs and superglue off it. A couple of DLC packs have just been made available for Civ V- the first, the Mongol Civilization Pack, is completely free, and introduces the Mongols as a civilization and Genghis Khan as their leader. The second, Babylon, which introduces Babylonians and their king Nebuchadnezzar II, actually came with the Civ V deluxe edition and will set you back £3. These aren’t just cosmetic upgrades, you know. Each civ in Civ V has their own tiny set of unique advantages and exclusive units.

Alec and I saw eye to eye on Civ V, agreeing that it was a beautiful piece of work with sorely lacking AI. For those who find swallowing someone else’s opinion distasteful, a gameplay walkthrough can be watched beneath the jump.

Here’s my Civilization V tip. If you’re neighbours with Gandhi, you don’t need to build any defenses, because he’s Gandhi. Just leave the guy alone.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. pimorte says:

The most important question is:
    Is PBEM released yet?

2. Daave says:

I’m hoping that all the DLC will be bundled together when they release an expansion pack, it is a bit of a dick move to allow 22 players in a game and only have 18 civs on release.

3. Jockie says:

Your Gandhi advice is dangerous Quinns, I’ve heard tales of Gandhi going postal in Civ V and heading for world domination

• Rinox says:

*visions of Brother Lal of the Peacekeepers (!) planet busting my capital in Alpha Centauri*

This would be 2 turns after he warned me that he would ‘not tolerate the use of planet busting weapons’ and that I should cease my ‘atroctities against humanity’.

• Mirdath says:

Gandhi will try to beat you up and take your lunch money if he thinks he can get away with it. Ahimsa my ass.

• Aankhen says:

After getting Gandhi at random, I can see why he’s so bloodthirsty. It’s really hard to avoid going to war. So far, he’s responsible for the destruction of two city-states and two civilizations. (I put my game on hold while I waited for the patch and haven’t gone back as yet.)

4. Starky says:

I do indeed find swallowing another opinion distasteful.

So I just sneakily spit.

5. Danny says:

I want the Celts to be added. Mr Mier is shunning my ENTIRE NATION. The big xenophobe!

6. Robert says:

This post needs music:

7. Eric says:

Does anyone who’s played with them have an opinion on whether the Babylonians are worth $5 to pick up? The completionist in me obviously wants all the civs, but it’s not like I’ve played all the others yet anyhow.

• utharda says:

Sid Meier’s Bank Account says yes.

• Mirdath says:

I got the steam deluxe version and I’m enjoying playing as Babylon. The ability isn’t particularly special (which is alright, I don’t really care about the abilities). The bowman is handy in the early game, an archer who can stand up better to melee attacks. And the Walls of Babylon make a nice Gandhi-deterrent.

I think most of the appeal for me is just in playing one of the original civilizations (where did all those ruins come from? aren’t people supposed to be digging up my outhouses with semi-religious awe?).

• TCM says:

Their ability is nothing special?

Great Scientist spam, where each scientist has the effect of a Civ IV Oracle — pick any tech from your currently available list for free.

You can be in the industrial age by 200 AD.

• Zenicetus says:

There are two reasons to get Babylon. One is the fast track to a science victory, or just ensuring that you’re always ahead in tech. Although, it’s almost overpowered that way.

The other reason is to see grumpy, psychotic ‘ol Nebu in the diplomatic screens. He’s one of my favorites to interact with, just to see the reaction when I’m pissing him off. Also, a fabulous beard.

That said, the game is still pretty weak in the AI. I’ve shelved it in favor of New Vegas at the moment, hoping a later patch will shore things up a bit.

8. Liquidated says:

As an avid civ4 vanilla/BTS player (warlords was a bad memory) Civ5 comes across as Civ3 broken. Yes it looks nice (outside of the rivers) but other than the horrible UI and completely brain dead AI, the basic game play is 100% broken.

Take your pick, 4 horsemen rushes or REX ICS (Rapid expansion, infinite city spam) where every city is the same bland basics. Seeing as the only Civ game to actually penalize ICS enough to delay it til the end game was Soren Johnson’s Civ4, it’s utterly disheartening to see Firaxis seemingly threw out any lessons learned. Maybe this is the reason Mr. Johnson sold his soul to micro transactions.

An SG showcasing REX ICS in action, with the worst leader on Deity.

Sad. Not even looking at civ5 again until at least next Expansion or when Civ5 Complete is on sale at steam for 5 quid.

Cheers!
    -Liq

• A-Scale says:

• MXZ says:

A-Scale:

You are woefully behind. Infinite city spam is not just alive and well in Civ 5, it is an absolutely unbeatable strategy. There’s a couple civics, wonders, and buildings that make the entire game completely trivial. The only buildings you need are a Coliseum, Library, and Monument in a city, and then you just build more cities.

Use the Liberty tree for the +1 Happiness per connected city and reduced cost settlers. Build a library and put 1-2 citizens in the library. Don’t grow the city much, use maritime food to sustain yourself if necessary. As you can afford coliseums, grow your cities.

The game rules are fundamentally broken and Jon Shafer should be ashamed of his addition to the Civilization series.

• Liquidated says:

“What are you talking about infinite city spam? You can’t, your happiness will drop below 10 and then you’re in deep water.”

Nope happiness is no boundary. Take your pick of walkthroughs on how to pull this off if you cannot even have clicked the sg I bothered posting before… Civ5 was never play tested seriously, I really feel sorry for all the volunteer playtesters who’s comments were ignored.

The ICS concept as it evolves.. if you really think the happiness mechanics do a decent job of preventing endless tightly packed towns only limited by land you can settle on , well open your eyes.

Better yet, just go to CFC and search for topics that have the term “ICS” in them

Cheers!
      -Liq

9. Flappybat says:

I’ve seen a ton of complaints about Civ 5 that the reviews didn’t go with. I’m more on the side of the reviews but having played several co-op games showed me that it needs a lot of patching for balance, AI and other issues.

10. Gorgeras says:

Isn’t anyone else a bit angry that Civilisation has now joined the ranks of deliberately incomplete games where you have to buy the rest of it in increments?

This isn’t ‘additional content’. This isn’t ‘expansion content’. This is stuff that was ready at release, that could have been in the release, it was not the product of a long labour of love and dedication to post-release content support. It’s the rest of the missing bits of the game.

It’s a crock and someone should burn for it. Burn I say.

• PleasingFungus says:

You… I…

1) Babylon was ready at release and released at release. So… yeah. (Pre-order bonuses are a different kettle of soup than paid DLC, I think.)

2) Mongolia is free.

Free.

You don’t buy it in increments, unless the increments are $0 large.

It’s free.

This is exactly why teaching reading comprehension in our schools is so important. Otherwise, people embarrass themselves like this.

• TCM says:

I am happy to pay all my zero dollars for this DLC, personally.

• Jad says:

I’m saving some of my zero dollars for the next Valve DLC.

• MXZ says:

I’m angry that this game is a crock of shit and none of the reviewers had enough knowledge of the series or even gaming itself to figure that out. This game is a horribly unbalanced, unfinished piece of garbage. All the 90%+ reviewers need to be fired and take up jobs as copy writers since that’s what they’re basically doing anyway.

RPS included.

• FunkyBadger says:

MXZ: Have you got a link to your own PC Gaming site?

• Gorgeras says:

Fungus and co, you’re out of your element.

Mongols is free, the other isn’t. When did one becoming free make all of it free? When did paying more become ‘free’? Will there be more DLC and will it also be ‘free’ by your definition do you reckon? Do you think they’re putting a lot of effort into making it now or do you think it’s pretty much ready and they’re holding it back as part of a business plan that rips off customers as I allege.

Console mentality has come to the PC. We’re fucked.

• TCM says:

I’ve owned the other one since release.

It’s in the DDE, along with other things.

11. Fox says:

Until they fix the multiplayer saving and lack-of-animation issues, I will continue to regret my purchase.

Would that some reviews mentioned these things I might be $50 less-poor today. Alas.

12. UncleLou says:

Well, personally, I love Civ V, but then I don’t read deliberately hunt on the internet for the lamest exploit possible and declare the game broken.

Look, Demon’s Souls us shit, it can be beaten in less than an hour! http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Demon-s-Souls-Beaten-In-One-Hour-27643.html

• Gritz says:

If a game is going to have the pretense of being a “Strategy Game”, it shouldn’t include mechanics that so easily trivialize even the toughest difficulty settings.

This isn’t some cheat or glitch, it’s a fundamentally broken mechanic.

• jaheira says:

@ UncleLou – agreed.

@Gritz, Liq – If the ICS thing is making the game boring for you why not adopt a different strategy? I imagine there are ways of winning with more than one plan.

13. Gritz says:

You might have a point if ICS was really the only broken mechanic in the game.

14. Genghis Khan says:

This is tremendous news. I was already a big Civ 5 fan, but I can’t wait to play this new DLC. I’m also super excited that they made it free. What better way to extend my online gaming horde!

That being said, I have a couple of issues with the screen grab featured above:

1. They made my arms and biceps way too thin. I’m obviously much more jacked in real-life than this image would lead viewers to believe.

2. I hate being photographed and/or painted not holding a sword, battle axe or crossbow. I am always holding some sort of weapon, even when I play video games. Let’s try to keep it real from now on, guys.

Besides that it’s a pretty cool pic and I’m psyched to play this new addition to an already awesome game… which just got awesome by the addition of me!

————————————
    Genghis Khan (AKA “hngryGenghis”)
    Time Traveling Mongolian Warlord/Avid Video Game Player