Down Under: Red Faction Armageddon

By John Walker on January 20th, 2011 at 10:05 am.

ROAR!

It was not unreasonable to see the early footage of Red Faction: Armageddon and worry. After Guerilla’s open-air festival of smashing stuff it seemed so counter-intuitive to be claustrophobically wedged underground. What are we supposed to smash?! And then we found out about the Magnet Gun. Well, even more recent footage shows more good news. There’s still buildings down there for you to spectacularly knock down, and walls to break through like a Vic Mackey tribute band. That’s what’s important. Except now there’s aliens to fight too. Such recent footage exists below.

It looks pretty swishy to me:

Let’s just hope it’s not all boss fights and cowering in corners. Or I’ll be furious.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jambe says:

Indeed. I do rather hope there’ll be surface shenanigans as well, though.

2. ChaK_ says:

Let’s just hope it’s better than guerilla.

Man I disliked that game, it was like…boring and feeling-less. Made me grumpy at time.

• ZIGS says:

Guerrilla was indeed bland as hell, this looks much more interesting and more like the first (it’s underground for one). The first Red Faction is awesome

• Richard Beer says:

I was bored after an hour. It felt quite directionless. Like a rather empty GTA IV. However after I got into the mechanics of proper destruction and figured out how to survive, it was all rather good fun. With hammers.

• jackflash says:

I held off on buying RF:G for a very long time because of all the negativity around it. But when I did get it, I absolutely loved it. Maybe because I never played the GTA games (I hate gangster themed games).

3. jon_hill987 says:

I liked the building destruction and open world of guerilla. I did not like the third person shooting (and cover).

This one does not look promising.

• battles_atlas says:

This exactly. Submarine films are notoriously hard to sell to audiences because, its suggested, people don’t like paying for two hours of dark claustrophobia. I have similar feelings towards this.

4. Luomu says:

I’ve liked everything Volition has done (except RF2, and I haven’t played Summoner) so I’ll check this out just on those grounds.

5. Dominic White says:

I’m surprised at how few people are complaining about fighting aliens this time round. Personally, I’m all for it, but a depressingly large number of gamers seem to have fallen in love with the only enemy type in any game being ‘Man With Gun’ who stands or crouches behind cover and tries to shoot you, but is vulnerable to a bullet to the head.

I *want* to fight weird creatures that can leap twenty feet through the air, crawl on walls, fly and generally do things that I can’t.

• ChaK_ says:

You mean you prefered crysis 2nd part?

Fighting NK was great, not so much versus aliens. For me at least

• Flint says:

You’re not alone; I tend find various sorts of non-human things far more interesting to point my guns towards as well. But naturally, it all depends on the game. For example the Crysis comparison mentioned in the previous comment: whilst I like the second half, the suit powers were more designed to combat a human threat and thus in that specific case the aliens weren’t as fun to fight with.

• triple omega says:

The moment they start making those aliens NOT look like they come straight out of DOOM, I might take part. Seriously, why do all aliens you fight have to be either a “humanoid”(read human in every way during combat) or something from your nightmares?

Look at HALO for a good example of how it should be done. Non-scary aliens with non-human behavior(at least not exactly human).

Actually it seems to be a trend these days to make all games zombie-horror, alien-horror, or bug-horror. Screw horror!

• Dominic White says:

No, I didn’t think the aliens in Crysis were better than the humans. They basically only came in one variant – flying turrets with very limited AI. Very monotone. But, as mentioned, the Halo series nails it. You’re fighting a broad range of alien races with very different behaviours and equipment.

Although I’m fine with alien monstrosities straight out of The Thing, too, visually speaking. Just so long as they offer a varied challenge.

6. Flint says:

I didn’t warm up to Guerrilla’s open world nature at all, so in that respect this seems far more interesting already. Not enough to make it more than a minor eyebrow raising intrigue, but still.

Still, I kinda wish the series had continued more in steps of the first one.

7. Navagon says:

I don’t know what to think about this one at the moment. But it definitely doesn’t look like a contender for Greatest Game Ever. That much is certain. Might still be fun though.

Why is it always my first post of the day that gets spam blocked? It would not be possible to find a spam filter more retarded than this one.

8. oceanclub says:

Since I don’t think Volition could write a half-way decent PC port if their lives depended on it, think one’s not for me I reckon. (Yup, I have both Saint’s Row 2 and RF:G – the €20 I spent on the former is easily one of the worst gaming purchases I’ve ever made.)

P.

• Dominic White says:

Both Saint’s Row 2 and RF:G ports were outsourced. Volition have nothing to do with the PC these days.

• Luomu says:

Oh yeah. Who makes games where internal timers run at different speeds on different computers these days? Luckily after installing a speed fix it was the best value for 2,50€ ever.

9. Stephen Roberts says:

Buildings made entirely from Ryvita and jam makes for a tasty spot of destruction. This new iteration doesn’t look like the gameplay things what made Guerrilla fun. Mind you, It doesn’t look like much at all.

Problem with Red Faction Guerrilla was what someone on the RPS staff thought Just Cause 2 had: ‘lettting the game get in the way’. Ammo count was piss poor, buildings seemed to stay destructificated and troops were insanely populous (and much more threatening than in JC2) within seconds of you knocking over a lamp post. I tired of the MASON SMASH before too long.

Try the hot seat points scoring challenges with a friend though. They are jolly idiotic, entertaining and explodey.

10. GoodPatton says:

Don’t know what to think about this one. I loved smashing buildings with hammers, disintegrating bridges and just blowing the hell out of things with a nuke gun even if as a whole things were pretty repetitive…and red.

Armageddon just doesn’t look like it has the charm. Haven’t passed off on it yet but I hope some better trailers make their way onto these tubes we call the internet cause i need some swaying.

11. Koozer says:

Can’t I just smash things to tiny pieces? I like smashing things to tiny pieces.

Posting too quickly? Sorry Mr.AI I’ll post every 2 weeks instead of just the one.

12. Isometric says:

Them mars folks just can’t catch a break

13. JohnnyMaverik says:

Yea… looks dumb? =/

14. Scandalon says:

What’s the deal with all the evil masterminds…great, you have an army of wierdly costumed soldiers and alien/genetic abominations/monsters from another dimension (which you can’t fully control/understand of course) and finally you “take over” the world/mars, and then what? Make them all dance? Have fun managing them whilst rebuilding the infrastructure you destroyed to be able to support them? Force Princess Peach, er, the cute redhead you were too shy to take to the prom to marry you? What?!?

15. RegisteredUser says:

They should have added a cowboy hat for the guy and then just called it “Red Dead Space 3 – The stealification”.

Ripping off three of your favorite games all at once for that extra amount of never done before uniqueness and innovation! Others do sequels, but we, we do..okay I’m just too annoyed at all of this to even continue mocking.

16. Ovno says:

Aren’t they the aliens from Deadspace, in fact its almost the same picture as the deadspace article above this one…

17. Wolfox says:

I don’t know if the game itself will be good, but the trailer itself was pretty awesome. ;)