Deus Ex: The Protagonist Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on February 3rd, 2011 at 4:00 pm.

A rather more story-based trailer than others we’ve seen, this latest trailer for Human Revolution explains a little about the origin and attitude of our hero-protagonist, Adam Jensen. That is one husky voiced fella…

Scientists sure do get a raw deal in the future.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Evil Otto says:

It’s looking pretty good. I especially like the clothing. It’s like an SF-renaissance style.

2. FOURPLAYuk says:

This trailer and RPS’s words have greatly calmed me and excited me as to what “From God 3″ will be.
    I was hoping that Montreal would get close to Deus ex original, I think they just might.
    It will of course be very different but they must just have a best game ever on their hands, let’s see, THIS YEAR :D

• Richard Beer says:

Actually, it’s ‘God from out of…’

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Deus Ex 3 — One god out of three — it’s a conspiracy to secretly indoctrinate the world with trinitarian theology!!

• Tacroy says:

People called romanes, they go the house?

• kyrieee says:

True. “From” in Latin is “de” not “ex”

• jalf says:

So, “From God Three”? From God’s tree?
      Protip: don’t eat any apples. And don’t trust the snake.

• RQH says:

My understanding is that “De” can mean “from,” but so can “ex”–it really depends on how “from” is used. “Ex” is often used with the ablative to indicate movement from someplace, as Richard Beer’s “from out of” indicates. The issue with the original poster’s translation isn’t his rendering of “ex” so much as it doesn’t take into account that Latin is a declined language. “Out From God” would be “Ex Deo,” while given by God or from God would most likely be “De Deo.” That “Deus” is nominative is what makes it “God From” (or Out Of), rather than “From God.”

“God from three” is brilliant, though.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Oh man.

• FriendlyFire says:

Eh? Deus Ex is clearly a play on “deus ex machina”, “god out of the machine”, which is normally used to refer to some extremely implausible event that radically alters the storyline of a movie or (more traditionally) a play, usually in a way favorable to a positive ending.

• Vague-rant says:

Eh? What are you trying to say? The original use of Deus Ex Machina has little relevance to the attempted translation.

It was quite educational actually. I always assumed Deus Ex was “God From …”, only knowing “Deus Ex machina” as “god from the machine”; take away the machine and hey presto! (A gross simplification but one that suffices/sufficed)

3. Inigo says:

In the future, we will have rotary cannons that shoot bullets unable to pass through human bodies.

• battles_atlas says:

Yeah minus one point for that. Still each ruff collar gets two points, so its well up.

• Richard Beer says:

Low velocity hollow points designed for CQB? I dunno. I’m prepared to let that one go…

• DarkFenix says:

Yeah I hate the little inconsistencies like that. I could forgive it not happening in regular gameplay easier, but that was a set piece where they really should pay close attention to the detail of what they’re making.

• Tacroy says:

No, depending on the goals of the operation it may totally make sense – for instance, if the point of this raid was to capture important data, you’d want to mostly be using bullets that will stop when they hit succulent human flesh, in order to not accidentally damage a computer or something; we all know that the important parts of the computer are held in the monitor, and not in a data center with military security three thousand miles away. In space.

• Davie says:

@Tacroy: That would totally make sense if he didn’t throw the protagonist through a control panel ten seconds later.

4. Bilbo says:

I’m starting to see what this game’s all aboot!

5. Teronfel says:

he said “duty calls”,is this another EA’s marketing trick?

• Marshall Stele says:

Maybe I’m missing something here, but I don’t think there’s any EA involvement with this game.

• Spectre-7 says:

@Marshall Stele

That’s how deep the conspiracy goes…

• adonf says:

Another proof: the sign for “lift” is the exact same as in EA’s Dead Space. This cannot be a coincidence.

6. galen says:

that gasp/groan at 1:10 sounds incredibly familiar

7. chargen says:

The orange and teal crowd is going to have a field day with this one.

• Napalm Sushi says:

I dunno, I got more of a yellow and green vibe… or was that just my Infavalanche Goggles?

8. Moni says:

For some reason I really like that when the lady scientist pats her clothes it makes a sound.

I’m pretty sure no other game has ever done that. The future is here.

• Basilard says:

No, Metal Gear Solid 4 also paid much attention to foley sound.

I’m sure there are more examples, but MGS4 is the finest one that comes to mind.

9. Pijama says:

The soundtrack is also a thing of beauty. Hats off to you, mr. McCann.

10. Frosty says:

It looks good. Mostly good. I’m going to be all internet cynical now.

The animation looks every so slightly odd to me. Am I alone in that? Might just me being odd but it reminds me of the Mass Effect series: Every animation has obviously had time and care invested but they just don’t look quite right or human.

I just get confused after seeing the fantastic animation from Half Life 2 to this kind of work.

• Dobleclick says:

+ 1

Still got a boner, though…

• Casimir's Blake says:

As long as this is in no way similar to the first game, it might actually be playable! Hell, it might even be fun!

• Hidden_7 says:

Hehe, classic Casamir’s Blake.

You’re quite right, though. As long as it bears no similarity to the original it only might be playable and fun, as opposed to the definite should it bear many similarities to the first Deus Ex.

11. Njordsk says:

I like.

12. HexagonalBolts says:

I like the music at the end, it reminds me of Ministry’s Khyber Pass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-9fDxn-cU). I wish more games would make use of such striking music.

13. Sic says:

Looks very promising.

Also, it seems his voice is actually more normal at the start of the video, so the husky voice isn’t just silliness (yes, the original had very husky voices, but this one is extreme), it’s an actual part of the story. I like that.

14. silverhammermba says:

His voice may be a bit too gravely, but he has a perfect Walton Simons accent (one of the antagonists from DX)! Now the real question is if it is intentional…

15. WMain00 says:

It looks (and sounds) exceedingly promising; a much welcomed cyberpunk video game.

16. RQH says:

Edit: What do you know my first reply-fail.

17. Tarqon says:

Nooooo, not aiming down the sight nonsense. :( Only thing I dislike so far.

• kibayasu says:

Games have had a “precision” aim mechanic since forever. It’s just that in the early days it was a little zoom instead of sights.

18. Scandalon says:

I, um, I know it’s not SUPER SPOILER territory or anything, but would have appreciated some warning that this reveals more of the initial story setup. I’d prefer to leave more unknown in the story department. (Assuming enough people say “It’s good, you should play it”.)

19. The Dark One says:

I wonder if this game is going to get complaints for the Canadian accents.

20. kharnevil says:

“Scientists sure do get a raw deal in the future.”

We bloody get one now!

21. KillahMate says:

To tell the truth, with each new DE3 trailer it’s always Michael McCann who impresses me most. I don’t know if the game will be good, but it sure will have a kickass soundtrack.