Friends Of The Earth: Dirt 3′s Party Mode

By Quintin Smith on April 8th, 2011 at 7:17 pm.

It's a little known fact that dust is what causes cars to move, not the other way around.

Codemasters announced today that Dirt 3 will include a party mode. Dirty parties, one presumes? Rally cars gracelessly mounting other rally cars, and huffing great cupfuls of cocaine through their grilles? Alas no. Dirt 3′s party mode will all be good, clean, online fun, and Codies have invented three special new multiplayer modes which resemble playground games than anything else. Details after the jump.

First up is Invasion, wherein yourself and your friends will be trying to defend the earth from killer robots! Yes, really. The robots will, however, only be cardboard cutouts that the lot of you will have to run over or otherwise smash into, all while avoiding the cardboard cutouts of skyscrapers.

Second is Transporter, which will basically be Capture The Flag except where the flags spawn will be randomised. How the flag will be wrestled from car to car wasn’t mentioned, but presumably if you tap into a flag holder, you’ll become the carrier. That’d make sense, right?

The third and final mode is Outbreak, where one of the partaking cars will be struck down by a terrible affliction that turns them bright green within 5 seconds of the match starting. Fortunately, he can infect other cars by tapping or ramming or crashing into them (take your pick), thus allowing them to share in his misery and bringing them onto his team. The last uninfected car is the winner, though you have to chase him down anyway.

Does that sound like something you guys would be into?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Aedrill says:

That’s great! Of course I won’t play that, because finding enough friends to play such modes would be so much more than just a miracle, and I simply can’t imagine plying it with people I don’t know (I’m sorry, people I don’t know, I’m just kinda shy).

2. Serenegoose says:

I always preferred rally games because it never failed to irritate me when AI drivers would use my car as a means of braking on sharp turns. Then Dirt came along and made a rally game where more than half of the races had competitors on the screen at the same time as you! Madness! I still rather enjoyed it though, because I’m apparently a masochist as long as I can slide around corners. An oddly specific masochist, admittedly.

Probably won’t ever touch the multiplayer though, alas!

• iHavePants says:

Damn, I haven’t played any of the Dirt games but the tactic you’re referring to with its AI is what I tend to rely on in all racers :P. I’ve never noticed in other games them intentionally doing it to me though.

• BAReFOOt says:

I also always use that technique. Especially when you can drive into a corner at FULL SPEED, crashing into another car just turning into the corner, and come out first and unharmed. While the others are damaged and confused, standing in weird angles.

Add to that the fact, that Dirt 2 still used the same physics from CMR2 (maybe not technically, but definitely subjectively), where drifting like with a real car makes you lose, but acting as drifting is a trigger that you can switch on and off hard by tapping the break pedal, and you can’t lose.

Except maybe if you rage because of the mushy reaction of the car (yes, even on asphalt). ;)

• Serenegoose says:

Oof, cads. I feel unsporting even if I ram AI drivers. Unless I’m replaying carmageddon 2 for nostalgia purposes, I suppose.

3. ChromeBallz says:

Before announcing all this multiplayer stuff i’d rather they have showed more of the singleplayer rally content…

“watered down” is a term that might still apply despite the self confessed ‘return to form’.

4. westyfield says:

Tee hee, you can infect other people by tapping or ramming them.
    *giggles*
    I am very puerile.

5. Ralud says:

Was looking forward to this game since it was going back to the rally rally and away from the x-games rally.
    But GFWL turned me away.

• Serenegoose says:

I guess GFWL is just 2 xtreme 4 u.

Maybe one day you’ll be up to the challenge… but I doubt it.

*folds arms, gloats like an end boss*.

I’d forgot about GFWL actually, that’s definitely a negative, negative point. I’ll probably just pick it up on a console anyway, since I’m not sufficiently into my racing games to need this brand new, it has to be said.

• Ralud says:

gameFAQs does not have a guide on how to defeat you.
      Feel like revealing something about yourself and your attack\movement patterns?

• Navagon says:

Why oh why are they still using that shit? Are Microsoft keeping them afloat with bribe- sorry, sponsorship money or something?

• Serenegoose says:

Ah, there’s no technique. I just have 40 million HP and I’m immune to all status effects. Just queue up your longest cutscene attack and top up your HP periodically and you’ll be fine.

6. Navagon says:

It sounds promising, yeah. But I’m still much more interested in what the game offers in terms of single player. To be honest I would have preferred a GRID 2 first.

7. The_B says:

I was invited to a Dirt party by a friend once.

We don’t speak to him anymore.

8. jplayer01 says:

I’m all for adding new, different game modes which don’t adhere strictly to the racing/drifting concept. Sounds like Dirt 3 will be fun to play what with the party mode and B rally.

9. Monchberter says:

Split screen multiplayer? Or is this internet only fun?

10. Bungle says:

Zombie cars! I have GRID and DiRT 1 and 2 and enjoy all the games. Codemasters does good multiplayer. I’ll buy DiRT 3.

11. Quine says:

Ban this slick filth!

Also why are the posting dates in the backwards format favoured by the United Americans?
    September the fourth indeed!

12. daiti says:

( http://www.2kuu.com )
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    ( http://www.2kuu.com )
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you
    ( http://www.2kuu.com )
    ur friends’ adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!

Comment on this story