Cry For Free: Crysis 2 Editor, CryEngine SDK

By Jim Rossignol on April 26th, 2011 at 7:53 am.

A new splashpage at CryMod, which is currently being overhauled, reveals that this summer will see the apperance of both a Crysis 2 editor and a CryEngine SDK. What does this mean? Well, it means people will be able able to make levels for Crysis 2, but also that they’ll be able to make non-commercial stuff for free using the CryEngine tech. Crytek’s Mr Yerli says: “In August 2011 we will be launching a free CryENGINE SDK. If you want to use it for fun, like all our previous MOD SDKs it will be completely free of charge, to anyone who wants to play with it! You just register, download the SDK with a personalized license key and you’re good to go! If you want to use it to make a game to launch commercially, we’d like to help you with that. If you want to take your product down a traditional commercial route, we will offer an innovative low cost licensing model if you want to release your game digitally.”

More details here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. dee says:

Fine, I’ll buy your game Crytek.

If I must.

Just to shut you up.

• Shortwave says:

Agreed, accept I don’t want to pay sixty dollars for it.
      I will however buy it as soon as theres a reasonable price drop. Providing this falls through as well as DX11.

2. sk2k says:

Hmm, but is it easy accessible like the UDK? Can i do things with scripting alone or do i need to dig into C++ ?

• Mistabashi says:

I’m guessing it’ll be more or less similar to the original Crysis SDK. So no, you won’t need to know C++. I would also hazard a guess that unless they make a really massive push at getting a lot of good documentation out there it isn’t going to take much of a bite out of UDK’s user base, but I suppose that remains to be seen (I always got the impression they had pinned a lot of hopes on third-party licensing of the last engine, but completely lost out to the more established UE3).

• DSR says:

There is as much good documentation for Crysis engine as there are for UDK.
      The real problems are:
      *CryEngine is not free(Atm)
      *Its more demanding than UDK
      *Editor is bugged and unstable as hell

3. markcocjin says:

Crytek are like iD Software. They have really good software and tools developers that make excellent game “features” but none of them know how to design a game. And by design, I don’t mean replicating patterns found in successful games. Aping Call of Duty is not an accomplishment. It’s more about designing a game experience and setting out to build something that would produce that.

Making a list of features like moving in 3d space, throwing chickens at Asians, or punching a shack to death is more like designing office utilities software. Nobody reflects on how making pagebreaks on an MS Word document effectively delivers the plot buildup to its much anticipated climax.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

WTF are you talking about, they were awesome at making unique FPSs with unique design guide lines for far cry and crysis, hell they have made the best fps(probably the best game) to come out of ubisoft, id software has only released one pc game in like 10 years, seeing rage in the horizon I wouldn’t talk shit about them so soon.

• Jad says:

“Crytek are like iD Software. They have really good software and tools developers that make excellent game “features” but none of them know how to design a game.”

Crytek developed Far Cry and Crysis, two games with highly unique game mechanics with a much greater degree of freedom from the standard FPS design. They also made Crysis 2, which is less innovative and novel, but still retains some of that free-form gameplay. So what do you mean by design?

“And by design, I don’t mean replicating patterns found in successful games. Aping Call of Duty is not an accomplishment.”

This sounds like a complaint about Crysis 2. I would argue that it is still more like Crysis 1 than CoD, but fine, lets discard that and focus on Crytek’s first two games.

“It’s more about designing a game experience and setting out to build something that would produce that.”

Far Cry and Crysis sure seemed like game experiences to me, what do you mean by this?

“Making a list of features like moving in 3d space, throwing chickens at Asians, or punching a shack to death is more like designing office utilities software.”

What? One of the things that made Crysis special and different were all the game systems that allowed for emergent gameplay. Giving the player the option to punch a shack so that it collapses on some enemy soldiers is more interesting from a gameplay design perspective than doing the same as a scripted, uninteractive sequence like a CoD or Half-Life would do. So if this stuff is not game design, just “utilities”, what is game design?

“Nobody reflects on how making pagebreaks on an MS Word document effectively delivers the plot buildup to its much anticipated climax.”

Ah. Game design is plot buildup and story. Just like iD games, Crytek don’t know how to write a good story and so therefore don’t know how to design a game. Unique game mechanics, great level design, emergent gameplay, novel environments, player empowerment and choice: not important. Story = game design. Got it.

4. megazver says:

Not just UDK, UDK and Unity.

• megazver says:

Which is to say, I am glad there’s a pro-level-engines-for-free-for-indie-devs weapons race starting between Unity, UDK and CryEngine. This is really good for the indie devs and for us players.

• sk2k says:

For my taste the free Unity version is too much crippled. You need the Pro version to reach the level of UDK or maybe CryEngine 3 SDK.

MfG
      sk2k

• SpinalJack says:

The only thing you get with unity pro is your own splash screen, real time shadows (you can still roll your own shadows) and a bunch of other special effects which you can create on your own. Really for non-comercial use unity free is all you need and if you’re selling a game then you’ll make back the tiny licensing fee in a single release easily.

• dufake says:

I thought he’s talking about Unity 3 engine.

5. CMaster says:

This is excellent news.
    One of the big focuses in Crytek’s promotional materials for CryEngine 3 has been the relative ease of creating content for it, with a real-time editor, simultaneous cross platform development etc. Lots of mod teams switched from Source to CryEngine 2 because they said it was easier to do what they wanted with it (of course, the problem they had is a lot less people playing Crysis mods). By opening it up like UDK, that problem will hopefully go away.

6. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Yay! I might actually buy Crysis 2 sooner now :> I love devs like this, esp reasonably big ones such as Crytek oh and Pretty!

7. Cinek says:

I’ll believe when I’ll see it.

So far Crytek did great job in not-keeping their promises so I hardly believe anything else they say.

8. Pinky G says:

This is excellent news. Brilliant amazing news! It is a new thing I did not previously know and now I know, yay!

9. kyrieee says:

Wow! I’m so happy
    I was worried they weren’t going to put out an editor because the SDK is the whole reason I would buy the game (which I haven’t yet). Was wondering about this just moments ago =)

10. ChampionHyena says:

Not as cute ‘n cuddly as UDK, but undoubtedly much prettier. Very interesting to see what comes out of it.

11. DOLBYdigital says:

Thank you very much Crytek! I will also now be considering a purchase some time down the line. I’m just happy that you are continuing to support the modding scene especially since some great mods were on crysis. This restores some of the faith that I recently lost for you. Thanks!!

Comment on this story