Undying: Vampire Bloodlines Patched Anew

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2011 at 4:59 pm.

There's probably a pantless mod for him and all

I’m guessing all these patches are iterative and not of much interest to the rmore casual Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines observer by now, but whenever one of these fan-made updates passes by my inbox I still can’t help but double-take and think ‘wow.’ You guys are wonderful. Completely mad, but wonderful. Bloodlines is now seven years old, was essentially abandoned by its publisher after its developer closed a few months after release, but the fans have just kept on going, fixing things, improving things, digging up locked away extra content and generally trying to keep their dream game alive. And, in a vampire fetishistic subset’s case, entirely gratuitously add oodles of bare breasts wherever possible and regardless of any effect on atmosphere or internal logic. I’ll stick to the fixes and restored content, thanks.

Anyway: patch 7.6 – 7.6! – is now out, and along with a few fixes restores some missing soundtrack music to the game. Grab it from here, along with assorted add-ons. If only every abandoned game received so much love so much later.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Sentient Waffle says:

Oh my god, I just reinstalled it recently and now this happens :D
    Bloodlines is one of my all-time favorite games, and I will keep hoping for that sequel till the end of times!

btw: Malkavian ftw

• coldvvvave says:

I wanted to post same message word for word.

• Mr_Hands says:

If there’s ever a game that truly deserves this kind of batshit love and tenderness, it’s Bloodlines.

• MadTinkerer says:

I was going to say something similar only for me it’s “just got it on the Steam sale and then this happens.”

I get to play it with the patch the first time! Sweet!

• sfury says:

My thoughts exactly, I’ve been raring to replay it for quite some time, just bought it on the last weekend Steam sale (because I’ve NEVER seen it discounted before, I’ve heard that it has been so on a Halloween 2007 or 2008, but have been waiting for some discount ever since then)

So I reinstall it this weekend, and find the latest patch was released just a day ago, bless you Wesp and whoever is still supporting this! :)

And also a Malkavian here, I’ve always wanted to try that for my second play-through. Also turned up the Plus patch extras this time – should be fun, with the different dialogue options and all the new/changed content should be an even more interesting game this time.

2. Warth0g says:

Never played the game, but I’m intrigued by all the positive press it’s had over the years. Do you think that with these patches, a shallow graphics whore like myself could enjoy it today? And is it possible to easily patch it up from a vanilla install to 7.6 or will it take a fortnight of pain??

• Dominic White says:

It’s a one-click install, even on Steam. It’ll ask you whether you want the ‘vanilla’ version (just patching) or one with restored ‘lost’ content (stuff that was meant to be in, but got cut due to being unfinished at the time) and balance tweaks. I highly recommend the latter.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It’s easy to patch and the graphics hold up better than most from that era. The first 2/3 are some of the best of any game I’ve ever played, which will give you a solid 15 hours of goodness, but it really turns to crap in the last act.

If a mostly 1st person game with GREAT writing, tons of character options that have a real effect on the game, near-infinite replayability, and a hack and slash style 3rd person combat system sounds fun to you, go for it.

• Nameless1 says:

The graphic is still great…add the filters and you’re ready to go.

• Warth0g says:

Hey nice, I might just do that.. thanks for the steer guys.

• stahlwerk says:

What filters?

• HeavyStorm says:

Again: What filters? I’ve been waiting to play the game, so I want to know more about this kind of update.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I think he was referring to the graphics overhaul mod that’s floating around out there. I installed it about a year back and was not pleased with the results, but obviously ymmv. I think the game looks perfectly fine without gobs of bloom and overbearing HDR, thanks.

• Nameless1 says:

Ehm..I was referring to aa and anisotropic filtering (you can set them from your graphic card panel)

• Thants says:

One of the joys of PC gaming is playing an older game and being able to crank the settings up to the maximum and still have it run perfectly.

• InternetBatman says:

It was one of the original Source games, so if the graphics in Half-Life 2 are good enough for you it should be fine.

3. Dominic White says:

Let’s get this out of the way:
    If you see something claiming to be the ‘TRUE’ Vampire: Bloodlines patch, ignore it. Better still, run for the hills. It’s a hacked together botch-job made of other peoples stolen work, assembled by a lunatic who makes nude skins for every game under the sun and calls people faggots if they think that’s the slightest bit dumb. He also goes around promoting his work under a variety of pseudonyms, but you may have seen him under the handle ‘Tessera’.

The one that Alec linked is the good one. It’s by Werner Spahl (aka Wesp), the one-man army that went and produced the fan-translation patches for White Gold and Precursors, which had gotten RPS coverage previously.

• Fierce says:

Are you talking about that chick who raged all over forums like 3 years ago?

Edit: Ah, you said “he”. Never mind. Though that chick raged pretty hard…

• stahlwerk says:

Internet advice: the username “Tessa” (IIRC) does not imply actual femalicity of user.

• Dominic White says:

Tessera? He’s a dude. He just uses (naked) female avatars. Everywhere.

• Fierce says:

I actually distinctly recall a picture of some chick wearing glasses, and yes the username sounds familiar and is probably who I’m talking about. I wasn’t in the community nearly long enough (less than a week as I looking for patch install advice and got lost in a drama thread) to know the validity of the photograph.

Meh. Gender on the Internet and et cetera…

• Nameless1 says:

I confirm what Dominic said.

• oceanclub says:

I was there. I saw it. It was mental.

P.

• Tessera says:

It has come to my attention that there is quite a bit of confusion and disinformation being posted within this topic. I will respond more fully later on.

• lurkalisk says:

It would be a tad strange if one was trying to spread false information, yet was confused about said information. Wouldn’t you say?

• Tessera says:

Nope, nothing strange about it at all. Some people are spreading disinformation, and other people are confused by it. There’s more than one person participating in this thread. ;)

• Rii says:

And let there be no doubt as to who brought this particular shit-slinging match to RPS: Dominic White.

• stahlwerk says:

I like to think it was the triple blow of being called out, misgendered and misnamed in three successive posts that summoned His wrath.

• lurkalisk says:

@Rii

That could only be of any real importance if people had no choice but to pay attention to all this.

• Schu says:

Dominic White, I believe you need to get your facts strait before you insult someone you dont know. I have done an extensive run threw of the UP and the TPG and I can tell you right now that you need to use both patches and get an unbiased opinion. To be fare you do not know what you are saying with regards to the TPG or Tessera for that matter.

Anyone who has used the TPG will tell you that nothing but bug fixes are in it and that it is stable. Where with the UP 7.6 anyone who gos too the Steam, maybe even the PV forum boards will find that quite a few people are having problems with the latest iteration of the UP. So please stop being insulting to people you dont even know.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

@Schu

That’s pretty cool. I really liked the second paragraph.

• Daddy Fat Sax says:

@Tessera

Aren’t you too busy banning people for being closeted homosexuals to comment here?

4. rmtx97 says:

I tried Bloodlines (since everyone on RPS loves it) and I just could not get into it. It seemed super slow. Did I just quit too early? The story seemed cool but the combat ( killing the guys in that house overlooking the beach ) seemed very bleh.

• ResonanceCascade says:

The combat isn’t great, but it’s not the focus of most of the game. If you only got to the beach house, you didn’t get far enough. That’s literally 1/2 an hour into a 25 hour game.

• Raziel_aXd says:

The combat really is bleh and broken enough, but you own it to yourself to experience one of the best lives virtual reality has to offer.

• Nameless1 says:

Yes, you quit too early. The game is probably in the top 3 of the best RPGs of all time, and you’ll get used to the combact mechanics after a while.

• DrGonzo says:

The combat is terrible, even movement and interaction is a bitch. It’s unfortunate as there ends up being lots of combat as it goes on. But it has an excellent story imo.

I have to say though I think it’s very overrated round these parts, as much as I like it. It’s the framework of a good game. It had the potential to be a classic, but isn’t.

Still pretty damned good though if you can put up with it’s (many, many) flaws.

• The Sentinel says:

I’m with you on this one. It gets lauded by Journalist and Commenter alike here but frankly I gave up on it after a few hours, out of boredom, once I’d gotten past the big, and admittedly very clever, reveal regarding what’s-her-face and her sister. I doubt I’ll go back to it.

• Sentient Waffle says:

Play a stealth character, Malkavian is my preferred clan (they’re insane, and its wonderful), and just stealth kill everyone, then you don’t have to bother with the not too great combat.

Or alternatively, get a shotgun and kick some ass :)

• Fierce says:

Far, FAR too early. Honestly. You should give it another -preferably longer- shot.

• Zwebbie says:

rmtx97: Considering that’s the second quest you get in the game, I would say that’s too soon. I’d recommend you to at least finish Santa Monica. If you don’t like the Voerman story arc or the Ocean House Hotel then you can definitely say you don’t like Bloodlines, but mere minutes into the game is a little early to call it quits.

For what it’s worth, you can also sneak into the beach house, or use persuasion, intimidation or seduction (if you’re playing female).

• Fiatil says:

I think I’m the one person who likes Bloodlines’ combat. Or at least myself and everyone else who was cool enough to play Tremere the first time around and make everyone vomit blood and/or explode from their blood boiling.

Addendum: The warrens are fucking terrible. I’ve skipped it every time since the first. The ending sequence isn’t that bad though (and the actual ending is awesome); one tough boss and stuff to kill, as long as you have decent combat skills (blooooood magic) you’re set.

• Joof says:

” but the combat seemed very bleh.”

This line seems to pop up in conversations about all of my favorite games. =/

• Nick says:

honestly, if you don’t like it by that stage, its not for you. One of the best games ever made, just so unfortunate what happened towards the end. If it had 6 months more funding available, it would probably be the best game ever made.

It makes me so, so sad what happened to Troika.

(I didn’t dislike the combat, it was fine tbh)

• The Sentinel says:

@Fierce

Ah, no, I actually got to the Ocean House Hotel. I forgot that bit, which is another indication of my response to the game generally.

• LinXitoW says:

Bloodlines was the first game where i fully realised the scope of having choices. Normally i just make some combat all around character and only very rarely would i use alternate paths to victory in RPGs, simply becuase that concept didnt “click”.
      In Bloodlines i said fudge it and specialised on “talking” and “technical” skills and it was awesome. Literally everything you can do has some other way of doing it.

• Yosharian says:

Tremere ftw

5. Nameless1 says:

Wesp is my hero :)
    For those who don’t know what all this is about, this patch is an absolute must.

PS: tbh Bloodlines was abandoned by his publisher months BEFORE his release.

• Wulf says:

Yep, wesp made Bloodlines playable, then took it so much further. He’s awesome.

• Tom De Roeck says:

Oh dear, the problem is, I dont even have the DVD anymore! Arrr..

• bwion says:

Or if you don’t feel like engaging in the Life Piratical, it’s available from several different digital stores. (I have found it on Steam and Direct2Drive so far.)

I have the Steam version and it works fine with every mod and fanpatch I’ve thrown at it so far, if that’s a concern.

• Tom De Roeck says:

I dont think the money will go to the people I want it to go to, so no thank you.

• meatshit says:

When you buy a game, you’re not just paying for a piece of plastic. You’re paying for a copyright license that gives you the right to own a copy of the material. If your copy is lost or destroyed, you have the right to replace it in whatever manner you see fit as long as it doesn’t run afoul of some other law (the DMCA for instance).

• Tom De Roeck says:

Oh I’m aware of that. I live in Austria, where the copyright laws are perfect, but contested. (your copyright claims may not be contested unless there is enough proof that you are indeed infringing, but that limit or “tolerance level” is waaaaaaay higher than pretty much everywhere else. Except for maybe russia.)

But anyhow, I wouldnt mind “buying” another copy, because I would be buying “an eternal backup” on steam for example. But I dont want the money that usually goes to the developer to go to some publisher that retains the right to the game itself.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

If I remember RPS’s interview with [insert name of guy from Troika] correctly, none of the developers will get any money no matter how you buy it, so…

• phlebas says:

It’s just appeared on dotemu too – more expensive than the (already perhaps a little high) Steam price, but DRM-free!

6. Teddy Leach says:

Oh, honestly. I’ll have to reinstall it now! You magnificent bastard, Wesp.

7. Fierce says:

You know, I always use mods (and frankly, the aspects of *freedom* and *control*) in my discussions with friends over why I greatly prefer PC over consoles, but a situation like this really takes feelings of vindication to warm and fuzzy heights.

THIS is one of the many things a micro-transaction obsessed console ecosystem will never provide a game aficionado and why I’ll stop being a PC gamer when they can pry my G5 from my cold, dead palm grip.

8. Wulf says:

STOP!

9. Kefren says:

I have only played it twice, once as a Toreador male and one as a Malkavian female. Have never used the extra content so will do that for my next playthrough, which was due soon anyway! Either Nosferatu or Tremere, not decided yet.

10. Lewis Denby says:

It’s also half the best PC game ever made, so yay.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

More like 2/3, I think. It’d be pretty close to ultimate awesomeness if you could just slice out the sewers and completely redo the ending areas.

11. Drake Sigar says:

Yes. YEEEEEES. Feed me.

12. Raziel_aXd says:

When we get turned on, there’s bound to be flames…

13. stahlwerk says:

I might just have to replay this. For a fourth time. Until the Giovanni’s. And then stop, because I just can’t muster any incentive to slog through the last sections of the game.
    Unless of course, the balancing undid the issues I had with my Mr. Sneaky One Hit Katana Kill Superstar Vamp being essentially a pathetic sitting duck during the last boss fights.
    Any news on the engine port to recent Source?

14. G_Man_007 says:

I saw the title and thought of Clive Barker’s Undying, but this is very welcome news indeed. Malkavian next time.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Well, Undying was certainly another lovely 1st person game no one played. I wish I hadn’t lost my copy, I bet that thing will be worth a mint some day.

• ankh says:

Sweet! I still have mine! I thought everyone played it.

• Tom De Roeck says:

Hm. Undying and Bloodlines are both games I actually finished. There used to be a time where Id sink a lot of time into a single game, but not really finish them.

Unless I REALLY finished them, then it took me a couple of days and it was GONE. just like Mass Effect 1 & 2.

15. Bostec says:

That picture of the orc? its a femal orc right? its got thin arms and some bondage strapping. It sure is flirty.

• Matt says:

I hope you were joking. It’s a male Nosferatu vampire. In some rather odd-looking bondage gear.

16. eightiesmullet says:

I love this game the same way others love Deus Ex. I re-install it every 12 months or so with the lastest patch from Wesp. If you haven’t tried it, I would recommend giving it a bash.

17. Rinox says:

18. sonicblastoise says:

Now that its possible to properly play a nosferatu, i may actually get back into this game.

• DD says:

Can you elaborate further on the Nosferatu? I recently tried to play bloodlines because of the chit-chat on RPS but quit after the beach house (just like the guy in the comments above). Is there, or was there something game-breakingly wrong with them??

• Teddy Leach says:

Being a hideous monster does have quite a few limitations.

• BirdsUseStars says:

The Nosferatu are the only breed in the game who can’t pass as human, so you can’t allow yourself to be seen by any non-vampires. In game this is reflected by having to walk around in the sewers underneath the town you’re in to get around. I never played Nosferatu, so I can’t detail the issues with it but I think the sewers crashed the game or something if you tried to go into them, and weren’t really finished when they released the game.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

This would be true, but Bloodlines has absolute shit character detection and you can jump around police officers being a Nosferatu, and the best you’ll get is a faint “oh.”

19. Ignorant Texan says:

Well, damn. I finished my first play-through last Saturday using the 7.5 unofficial patch. I played a Ventrue, FWIW. While I don’t argue that the game changes toward the end, I found neither the sewers nor the last chapter to have ‘fallen off a cliff’. Perhaps reading how ‘awful’ those portions are made me expect something much worse. Even with the wonky action bits(no worse than GTA, imo), I still will consider this in my top 10 PC games. Next time I have a run of disappointing games, I’ll replay this with the newest Wesp patch.

To those who ask how it holds up graphically, I think it holds up better than HL2. Heresy, I know. The unofficial patch has a batch of tools included(wide-screen and modern resolution support, and some others).

• Matzerath says:

I agree – I feared the worst but enjoyed it all the way to the end. Lots of interesting plot twists; a harrowing encounter with a loo garou; a pisser of a penultimate boss fight (which might actually be extremely easy); a satisfying conclusion. And the guy who does Futurama’s ‘Bender’ is one of the voice actors.

The patch really is absolutely essential, though. I can’t believe Wesp is still finding hidden treasures in the files after all these years.

20. Paul says:

Reinstalling now. I guess I will finally get that Malkavian run going. Thanks Wesp, modder hero!
    And thanks Troika, for creating one of the best games ever. Still cannot get over the fact that you died.

21. magnus says:

Why on earth am I supposed to hate the last bit just because certain people have decided that’s the thing to do, it sounds like DE:IW/DNF all over again.

• Handsome Dead says:

look at this non-conformist coolcat aw yeah

• Lars Westergren says:

You don’t have to hate it if you don’t want to. The problem most people have with it, is that while the previous 2/3 has a fantastic mix of roleplaying conversations, exploration, alternative solutions, stealth, and combat, (unmatched in a single game since, except maybe Alpha Protocol) suddenly it becomes almost completely about combat.

• Fiatil says:

If you’ve played through the entire game as a sneaky socialite or something then yes I can see how the ending sequence can be sort of jarring and frustrating. If you’ve actually been killing stuff on the way to the top (crazy I know!) it’s not very bad at all. Every single one of my characters has had points in some utility or social skill (normally two of them) and they’ve all been able to deal with the ending. If they had pulled a Fahrenheit and started throwing Mayan Internet vampires at me I would be distraught, but the storyline doesn’t get botched at the ending, they just throw combat at you. It’s not that baaad!

It is kind of a shame that the weakest combat clan are also the most unique ones and the ones that most warrant a second playthrough, but even they can kill stuff just fine if you plan for it.

22. DoctorBrain says:

If you didn’t play Tremere, you were doing it wrong.

• ZamFear says:

If you did play Tremere but didn’t make anyone explode you were still doing it wrong.

• Fiatil says:

Both of these. Plus you get the classiest apartment by far.

23. Geralt says:

I’m still hoping for the Bloodlines Resurgence mod to be finished someday :)

24. Paul says:

Hmm so I reinstalled, applied 7.6 and game does not start. I start it, black screen appears, then it is back to desktop. People on steam forums report same thing. Looks like something is borked in the patch.Hopefully wesp will fix it soon.

• anonymousity says:

The game has an issue in being played on too high framerates, you’ll have to manually go into your computer settings and cap your refresh rate at under 60 fps.

25. metalangel says:

I keep forgetting I have a computer capable of running this, now.

26. Kadayi says:

Boomsticks

27. wisnoskij says:

So does the game work reliably now, tried to play it a while ago but shortly after starting the game decided it did not like my vampire sucking blood and would not allow me to do so ever again.

• Ignorant Texan says:

I did not have a single crash running VtM:B with Unofficial Patch version 7.5. There are very few games I can say that about.

28. H77 says:

Love this game.
    Played it the first time as a Tremere, the second as a Brujah and the third as a Nosferatu. Next will be as a Malkavian. Clans with obfuscate (invisibility) make half the quests much much easier.

29. dan. says:

Every time I re-install this, I have to rush through the the Ocean House Hotel quest. Even though I know what’s coming, it always scares the shit out of me. (Especially one of those exploding lights.)

30. wcanyon says:

I’d really like to get this game, but $20 for a game that’s 4+ yrs old and was buggy at release and then the publisher went away — well that’s a bit much. Is there any sort of Steam Alert service that will tell me when a game I like is on sale? Other places to buy it?

Edit: the goozex line is really long so that’s no help. There are very very few copies of it trading on goozex.

• Nick says:

20 bucks for one of the finest games ever made? Bargain tbh.

Thats even accounting for the buggy initial state and combat heavy last third, still better than most games since its release.

• Eclipse says:

it’s way less on Direct2Drive

• TariqOne says:

It’s worth $200, IMO. Today.

Transformative PC gaming. I liked the sewers and I liked the end. I love it to death.

• wcanyon says:

Exactly the same price on Direct2Drive. Damn.

• Fiatil says:

I’ll give the sewers some credit, because they did manage to convey some intense atmosphere. I’ve never felt so claustrophobic in a video game before, just being down in those sewers wandering around slowly running out of blood for so long is oppressive as hell. Everyone should do it once, but never again.

• Nick says:

Its worth investing a few points in firearms for the finale.. and saving the flamethrower for the end of chinatown. I did both those things just by chance on my initial playthrough and never hit any walls in the combat at least.

31. shagen454 says:

I started playing this again about three days ago. The first time I played it was in 2004 – I’ve been meaning to give it a whirl for a while. The first time I played it I hit some bugs that made it impossible to go forward in the first hour. Besides that when I walked into the Asylum I thought it was totally cheeseball. I still like Bauhaus, Swans, Joy Division, hell even the Cure every once in a while. But, that melodramatic gothindustrial booty metal crap gives me the irritation shakes.

Now that I’ve gotten pretty far into the game as a Malk I can put my finger on what I like about the game. And one of the things I love so far is whoever was the writer for the Malkavians lines. But anyway:

Talents are crucial. If you aren’t using your talents then you’ll lose. Most games like Fallout 3, Oblivion your talents mean very little considering the game-play is fairly easy – you’d have won anyway.

Parody. These guys are obviously from California, so you hear a lot about nuts, fruits, crazies, hear the word “dude” a lot. I took a video of the Red Spot (711) scene in Hollywood where some guy is saying “Dude I forgot where I parked my car — ooohhhh I don’t have a car.” Over the radio-host having an interview with two guys about how everyone in Hollywood is a writer or director (one of the guys has never written anything in his life). He goes onto blurt, “All food should have like a creamy center and a colorful candy shell and their commercial should have like Kung-fuuuu or giraffe.” In a voice that sounds exactly like this strange guy I know from San Diego. I almost thought it was him saying shit like that!

I won’t know how the replayability really is until I play it again but it does seem to have a lot catered towards Malkavians. Where you stun someone with your confusing, crazy, jargon. It’s almost like a Jedi Mind trick. It’s always presented with some magical icon.

The same thing can be said about taking orders. As a Malk I’m constantly belittling quest-givers and telling them I won’t do what they want me to do. Sometimes, dealing with Jester, La Crioux he will use the same sort of persuasion mind trick so that I only have three answers, which are all of the same.

I’m sort of into the look of the game. The car models look wide, the cities-capes are somewhat surreal. Definitely, is not GTA4, but who cares. I love the eyes on all of the characters. And boy oh boy, a lot of games are completely voice-acted *now* but I can’t believe this came out in 2004 with this amount of voice-acting done so well. The writing is very well-done. The Dragon Age 2 team should take some notes.

One of my fav quests was with the blonde at the Asylum. I won’t spoil anything but I gave the crazy/sexy one the item. This game really makes failing other people, sheer enjoyment. I wish there were more pass/fail quests that had that emotional impact + extra story of doing what you know to be the wrong thing to do, and then you go onto to some other evil things and so does the other party, creating a cluster-fuck for someone else.

All in all I think this game may just be able to squeeze into my top 10 of all time. It’s very unique (but not Pathological – which IMO is a good thing) and at this point I haven’t had many issues with bugs at all.

• Tom De Roeck says:

The funny thing is, before it came out (I dont know if it was still described as such afterwards), it was described as deus ex, but not at the same time. and of course, in a completely different setting.

and yes, the malkavian experience is much more complete than the others. well, unless you count the toreador one as well, where you try to stay humane as much as possible.

32. Trelow says:

BRUJAH LIKES COMBAT. LAST PART OF GAME HAS MORE COMBAT. BRUJAH OK WITH THAT.

33. Iskariot says:

Bloodlines is the only game I’ve played TWELVE times from beginning to end.
    Now I have to play it once a year minimum or I get homesick. I miss the atmosphere, the cool music. And I love to dream about what could be, if someone in the industry finally woke up and made a sequel to this love of my gaming life.

It is unfathomable that in these times of neverending vampire love in movies and books, there still is not a cool sequel to this game. I want a bloodlines 2 RPG/action game in an open city world like Liberty City. Man, I would love to be a vampire on those roofs, looking down on my prey in those streets, hunting them and in turn getting hunted by vampire hunters, escaping, retaliating.

Why is nobody making that game. I would sell my soul for such a game.

34. Markachy says:

Far too many people go on about Malkavians, its nonsense! First time I played this game (at release and so was a bit broken and I still absolutely loved it) I played Nosferatu…and as anyone who has played it a few times, one as Nosferatu, would know, that makes the experience rather…interesting.

Malkavians are only good for people who have played it at least once, preferably more, as a more normal class, so that what the Malkavian says actually makes some sense to you, given your prior knowledge of the story. Being Malkavian during first playthrough is a mistake, a big one.

Please be Nosferatu! It never gets any love when bloodlines are talked about, but I consider them to be the best bloodline. Super strong, great melee, and Obfuscate.

• Iskariot says:

I wholeheartedly agree. Nosferatu is my favorite clan in bloodlines.

• kud13 says:

to steer the topic away from this debate (which i’ve heard of in many, many places on the internets but never been in the same thread as either of the two antagonists):

My very first playthrough was as a Malk. i’ve had a whole lotta fun but no actual trouble steering through the insane convos. And I didn’t even invest in Dementation on that playthrough

I don’t recall playing as a Nosferatu, will have to give it a whirl one of these days. Tremere are awesome though.

also, for those who complain about the combat-centric end of the game: use the flamethrower. it solves everyhting.

the most trouble i’ve ever had in that game was in the boss fight right before the infamous “boat bug”. mind, i’ve played the vanilla version then, and had to use the game console to continue playing.

• shagen454 says:

Yeah, it’s really not difficult comprehending what Malk’s are intending to say. It just makes the gameplay and options a little more interesting. Don’t get me wrong, I could be wrong. HAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHA!

35. Tessera says:

I would like to warn everyone to carefully scrutinize any comments which are obviously being made by people who have a less than helpful agenda. For example, there have already been a string of ridiculous disinformation and outright lies posted within this thread by someone using the name “Dominic White.” Please allow me to offer a polite rebuttal to those comments:

First of all, absolutely no part of the True Patch Gold Edition was “stolen,” nor is it a “hacked together botch job.” The True Patch Gold Edition is actually the most stable and reliable patch available for Bloodlines on the entire worldwide web. Furthermore, the complete development of the True Patch Gold Edition was performed in a very open and transparent manner, with the entire procedure being very well-documented on the tessmage.com Forums. In addition… and unlike ANY version of Wesp’s so-called patch… the True Patch was extensively tested for two full weeks, by a group of volunteer beta testers prior to its release. This was done to ensure that our patch would only be FIXING bugs… not adding any new ones, unlike a certain other “patch.”

Frankly, I am amazed by Dominic White’s comments, because each and every one of his comments is not only an outright lie, but all of those comments are quite easily refuted. Perhaps he didn’t think that I would actually show up and respond to his fallacious statements. Or perhaps he is simply parroting the idiotic smack talk made by what I refer to as “Wesp’s groupies.” In any case, there is nothing freaky or sinister about me and/or the True Patch.

Nor does the True Patch have anything whatsoever to do with any nude mods that I have released in the past. Those two hobbies are entirely separate from one another. Oh… and for the record, no — I am not “a lunatic who makes nude skins for every game under the sun.” I have been officially retired from modding for over two years…. but back when I was releasing nude mods, I only released mods for a grand total of five or six games. Hardly what I would call “every game under the sun.” and all of those mods were extremely popular. In fact, one of those mods has proven to be far more popular than all of the other mods and patches available for Bloodlines COMBINED. Sorry to blow my own horn here, but I wanted to get things into their proper perspective.

The actual bottom line is this: the True Patch Gold Edition fixes ALL of the most important bugs which exist in the plain-vanilla version of Bloodlines, without making any unnecessary changes to the original items, quests and overall gameplay. This is in stark contrast to the so-called “unofficial patches” produced on an almost bi-weekly basis by Werner Spahl (Wesp5). Every version of his work — including his mislabeled “basic” version — is filled from top to bottom with unnecessary and completely arbitrary changes to the default game. Where I come from, that’s not a patch — it’s a mod. And that is why we created the True Patch in the first place: to give Bloodlines players the option of simply patching the game and playing it without any unnecessary changes — the way Troika originally intended for it to be played. You can always install a mod later on, if you want certain things to be different. But to impose a slew of completely arbitrary and subjective changes upon every single end user is simply not what I would consider to be permissible within the confines of an actual patch.

Sadly, Werner Spahl (Wesp5) has a very different philosophy and thus, every single version of his work to date forces the end user to accept a plethora of changes to the game that many players may NOT want to have forced upon them. This is a very sad state of affairs… but fortunately, the True Patch Gold Edition exists as an extremely high-quality alternative.

Every single statement within this rebuttal can be verified. So let me close by saying this: if you dislike me for some reason, or if you are a repressed individual who holds some sort of irrational resentment of nude modders, then that is your problem. But to attack my work with a string of deliberate lies and deceptions is not only unfair to the larger Bloodlines community, but it is also extremely childish and should be beneath any true adult.

All my best,

- Tessera -
    Author: True Patch Gold Edition for VTM: Bloodlines

• Rii says:

Hot damn, it’s Tessera – in the flesh, as it were.

… MAGE UNION!

• Veracity says:

In 2017, fan patch 73.77 will be released, incorporating Kinectrode support so that you can directly experience the oh, so unbearable strain of being unimaginably powerful and forever young and beautiful but, critically, absolutely everybody’s bitch, and this bizarre drama will have replaced the internet entirely.

• mwoody says:

Indeed, let’s revisit Tessera’s past work. We can start with an old forum post of his, talking to Wesp (the creator of the patch linked in the RPS article above). It’s long, but I think it deserves to be recreated in the full.

“No, you disgusting little kraut bastard… we knew where they were BECAUSE WE HAVE PLAYED THE GAME AS LONG AS YOU HAVE.

You FUCKING DISGUSTING MEGALOMANIACAL little NAZI. Do you honestly think you have some gifted knowledge of Bloodlines that NO ONE ELSE can POSSIBLY possess..?

Wesp… if I were you, I would thank the gods that there is an entire ocean separating you from me right now. Be very, very thankful for that… you slimy, self-serving little piece of human garbage. If there is any justice in this world, then you will surely die of the most horrible disease known to mankind. I will pray for that in earnest.

FUCK YOU, JUNIOR HITLER. Now shove it up your ass and rotate on it — the way you enjoy it most. The only liar here is YOU. Do you wanna know who the REAL thief is, Wesp..? Shall I tell you, scumbag..?

YOU STOLE BLOODLINES — FROM EVERY SINGLE PLAYER OF THIS GAME ON THE PLANET WHO INSTALLED YOUR HORRIBLE, CHILDISHLY CONCEIVED and DISGUSTINGLY INAPPROPRIATE CONVERSION MODS.

You, Wesp… YOU STOLE THEIR GAME FROM THEM. You STOLE IT from Troika, too. You STOLE IT from new players who did not know any better, and installed YOUR AMATEURISH CRAP — because they thought that it was an actual patch. YOU, WESP — YOU STOLE BLOODLINES FROM HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, just so you could feed your post-adolescent ego, and your laughably silly dream that you will somehow get a career out of this idiocy.

I honestly hope you DIE… DIE… DIE, you disgusting little German SCHWEINHUND.

Pray that you never meet me face-to-face, Werner. Fortunately, I don’t go to oppressive shitholes like Germany. I don’t like Nazis, drunks and faggots — the three things that Germany has contributed to the world in abundance. So I guess you’re safe, you slimy little piece of monkey shit.

And that, dear Wesp, is my farewell to YOU PERSONALLY. I couldn’t miss this last opportunity to tell you how fond I am of you and your “work.” Hopefully, you will read this before it gets deleted — you masturbating, puny little kraut faggot.”

• scharmers says:

U mad, bro?

• Rii says:

@mwoody

To be fair that’s a pretty epic screed.

Actually I wasn’t trying to stir up some hate campaign against Tessera or anything. It’s just that I was for several years an active part of the WoW Mage forum community. I arrived just after the grand Tessera-Tseric showdown, but well before Tseric himself left. And with that whole saga becoming embedded in the class consciousness, it was forever being dragged up as the stuff of legends, but remained for me always just that – a legend. So to finally encounter Tessera ‘in the flesh’, as it were, in a random thread half a world and several years away, well. damn.

Y’all may continue with your scheduled bickering now.

• Thants says:

It’s gotten so a guy can’t make a few racist, homophobic death-threats without everyone being all judgemental!

• Veracity says:

That made me smile. Thanks, Thants. Tha…Th…woah.

Also educational, as I had to check whether keeping that annoying optional “e” in “judgemental” is allowed. It is.

• Tessera says:

@ Rii

Hi there. ;)

For the record, Tseric didn’t “leave.” Since you have dragged this up, I may as well tell you that Tseric was actually suffering from alcohol abuse back at that time. He finally went berserk on the WoW boards… in a thread totally unrelated to the whole “Mage Union” fiasco… and he basically went on a drunken rant and began behaving like a megalomaniac. Just as he had previously done, in his encounters with yours truly. Tseric was ultimately fired from his job at Blizzard soon thereafter, as was another of their PR people named “Fangtooth.” I have no idea whether or not the two firings were related to one another, but both of those people were indeed heavily involved in the “Mage Union” incidents of early 2006.

I have been told that after being fired, Tseric eventually ended up in a rehab. I hope that his treatment helped him to overcome his drug addiction. And yes, I really do mean that sincerely.

• pipman3000 says:

Are you a regular reader of RPS?

welcome to rps if you’re not :)

• dethtoll says:

Dear god Tessera, shut up.

• Tessera says:

@ dethtoll
      No. If people bring up my name, then I am going to respond to it.
      If you do not like it, then do not read it. But I am not the one who
      is behaving badly — you are. I am simply stating the facts.
      So perhaps you should take your own advice, eh..?
      Have a nice day. ;)

• oceanclub says:

Thanks for posting that, mwoody; saved me the hassle of having to do it and show the character of the person we’re dealing with. Note how he can switch instantly between sweetness and light and the most horrible abuse imaginable. I guess that’s why some innocent are taken in by his glib assurances.

P.

• stahlwerk says:

‘unlike a certain other “patch.”’

You know, Tessera, I actually don’t care if you think your TP is the best thing since sliced TP, but sentences like this makes you sound incredibly self-righteous. Tone it down, or better, just ignore discussion of your work. If you and your “veterans” (is your message board a war?) can’t fathom the “you are not your work” mantra and get angry enough to shit-storm other communities on threads about a new version of another patch (yes, I know you call it a mod, tough luck, boo-hoo), you know, this kind of behaviour may be the thing that lends credence to stories like Dominic’s, don’t you think?

• elvis says:

Butthurt detected!

• Rii says:

@Tessera

I was very much pro-Tseric you understand, he may not have been cut out to be a mindless PR bot as required, but he was witty and insightful and willing to engage with the playerbase on a level that most CMs were not. The role certainly took its toll on him, I knew nothing of his alcoholism but in retrospect it fits. Hopefully he’s gotten past it and is happy enough now, wherever he is.

36. Ratcatcher says:

A word of advice:
    If you want to play VtM: Bloodlines as close to canon as possible; then start with the True Patch Gold Edition.

After that, go and try out Wesp5′s work and judge for yourselves.

• Fiatil says:

Wesp has a light edition now. I didn’t like a lot of the things it did at first either, but that was before the separate editions. It’s fine now.

I fear some horn has been blown that is about to summon some people from very deep and scary places.

• Tessera says:

To “Fiatil”

No worries… I have no intention of allowing them to suck me into yet another of their childish battles.

But I would like to respond to something that you said about Wesp’s so-called “light” or “basic” version of his “unofficial patch.”

Recently on the tessmage.com Forums, one of our veteran members performed a very lengthy and point-by-point analysis of Wesp’s recent work. He then posted a very revealing examination of exactly how many unnecessary and completely arbitrary changes have been introduced into Bloodlines by Wesp and his cohorts.

We had always known that Wesp’s work contains numerous unnecessary changes to the game. But we were actually shocked when it was revealed that even in the most “basic” version of Wesp’s so-called “patch,” there are literally HUNDREDS of changes which are NOT required. Far from being “bug fixes and restored content,” every single one of those hundreds of changes are actually frivolous, subjective and completely unwarranted.

Some players may like those changes. Others may not. It doesn’t matter, because we are talking about a patch here — not a mod. My position has always been that it is wrong to disguise your release as a “patch,” and then use it to FORCE every single end user to accept numerous changes to the game which are… in almost every single case… completely arbitrary and unwarranted.

Hence the creation of the True Patch. Indeed, this is why I named it “The True Patch” in the first place: because unlike every single version of Wesp’s work, it is in fact a “true” patch, in the sense that it focuses almost entirely upon fixing actual and legitimate bugs which existed in the plain vanilla game.

• Fiatil says:

Just going to say that despite your assurances to the contrary, called it.

37. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

If anyone is reading this far into these comments, I just want to say that there is a very cool mod for Bloodlines on moddb. It’s called The Final Nights. Give it a try.

38. Tessera says:

mwoody says:
    07/16/2011 at 01:27

“Indeed, let’s revisit Tessera’s past work.”

Oh, please. First of all, that is not an example of “my past work.” That is an example of a HUGE fight that erupted between me and Wesp back in 2007. It was FOUR YEARS AGO and much of my anger was in response to a string of insults being hurled by Wesp on numerous other forum boards. make no mistake — Wesp is no saint in this conflict. Let’s keep that crystal clear. As for my bad temper, it is notorious and I make no apologies for it. But more importantly, it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever upon the quality of my ACTUAL WORK, which you have failed to properly mention.

I could counter your post by bringing up the numerous examples of sabotage… committed directly by Wesp… upon every single mention made of the True Patch on nearly every single game-related forum board which exists. And we could no doubt chat for hours about Wesp’s revolting past history of making deliberately misleading and inappropriate edits to the Wikipedia entries regarding the True Patch. Quite a heated battle broke out over that nasty little bit of skulduggery, too. Or, I could talk about the fact that more than half of the content contained within Wesp’s so-called “unofficial patch” was not actually created by Wesp himself… but was indeed lifted from the hard work done by others. And sometimes, Wesp did so without obtaining prior permission.

We could go on and on… all day and night… making accusations and counter-accusations. And in the end, it is actually Wesp who would come out looking the worst. But I didn’t come here to fight. I have already had all of those tired old battles and I have no interest in rehashing them. I came here to tell the truth about the True Patch Gold Edition. That’s it… that’s the only reason for my appearance on this blog.

I created the True Patch as a favor to Bloodlines players. I don’t make any money from it. I don’t seek any career in gaming from it. I don’t get any big rush to my ego if lots of people install it (my other mods have already done wonders for my ego, thank you very much). Nope… my motives are purely altruistic. I wanted Bloodlines players to have free and easy access to a viable alternative to Wesp’s work. And that is precisely what I have given to them. That is my contribution to the larger Bloodlines community… and in my opinion, it has been a very valuable contribution.

And as it turned out, thousands upon thousands of Bloodlines players decided that indeed, they preferred to play Troika’s game without bugs… not Wesp’s deliberately dumbed-down and bastardized version of it. I am therefore glad to know that my initial anger towards Wesp was entirely justified… and that there was indeed a serious need for the True Patch.

Anyone can make anonymous comments on an obscure blog. But only a very few of us have actually contributed anything of value to this game. I happen to be one of those people and I am very proud of the work that I have done.

- Tessera -

• arglaar says:

True Story.

Those that would like to try the True Patch Gold and make an informed decision for themselves can find it at the two official mirrors below:

Filefront.com
      Sailmaker.co.uk

• oceanclub says:

Tessera: “It was FOUR YEARS AGO and much of my anger was in response to a string of insults being hurled by Wesp on numerous other forum boards.”

I’m glad to hear you think you’ve gone through behaviourial modification over the last 4 years. Perhaps you won’t be banned from here like you’ve been banned from so many forums.

Perhaps you could include some of these alleged “insults”, which noone else remembers (since anyone who knows Wesp online knows he’s actually _too_ quiet for his own good) here so that people can judge them against insults like
      * “FUCKING DISGUSTING MEGALOMANIACAL little NAZI”
      * “JUNIOR HITLER”
      * “disgusting little German SCHWEINHUND”
      * “masturbating, puny little kraut faggot”
      * “Nazis, drunks and faggots — the three things that Germany has contributed to the world in abundance”
      P.

• Kaira- says:

Four years ago, eh? You still seem to harbor some mad in you, with such quotes as:
      “dickless little puke”
      “Therefore I am retaliating, by showing people how to shove a big, fat dick right up Steam’s ass”
      “The VTMB community, like any other community in this world, is dominated by clueless, cud chewing sheeple”
      “That’s the world that Wesp grew up in… so it should come as no surprise that repeatedly lying is almost second nature to him. He’d make his Nazi grandpa real proud” *insert picture of Wesp(?) photoshopped into a nazi uniform*
      ” I mean, aside from the fact that Wesp is an immature Nazi douchebag”
      “Wesp is an imbecile, in every sense of the definition of that word”
      “I picture Wesp bent over a rain barrel and vomiting uncontrollably, whilst one of his numerous gay followers keeps shoving a rolled-up printout of a Python script in and out of Wesp’s bleeding, pimply ass.”

And so forth. And this was May of this year. But what I found most amusing is the fact that you wrote a guide to pirating games, as if that is hard. And this “Instead of allowing people to experience a dark, lore enriched game noir, Wesp has gleefully converted Bloodlines into a much shallower, dumbed-down kiddy quest for phat lootz” had me lolling all the way. I don’t know if you read what you write, nor if you even understand what you are writing.

39. perez007usa says:

Go try the Gold Patch when playing Bloodlines. What have you got to lose, then try Wesp5 and then judge for yourselves.

40. shagen454 says:

Nothing like a video game about Vampires & programming & role-playing to arouse the attention of the… I don’t even know what you’d call em. Nerd ghouls? You know how in Bloodlines ghouls just aren’t the real thing, just feverishly pandering for something real?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such heated bullshit drama about a (non-MMO) videogame before. I have seen such personalities involved in tabletop gaming, though (a smaller community that tends to capture the best and worst); wouldn’t be surprised if they play WoD too.

41. ResonanceCascade says:

“No worries… I have no intention of allowing them to suck me into yet another of their childish battles,” he said as he became sucked into another childish battle.

• shagen454 says:

I think we should have all disregarded him in the first sentence of his first post to the board:
      “I would like to warn everyone to carefully scrutinize any comments which are obviously being made by people who have a less than helpful agenda.”
      Man, I could scrutinize this guy’s backwards, pathological thinking for a long time. But, it would be such a waste.

• pipman3000 says:

expect a lengthy wall of text 5 paragraphs long minimum in your immediate futures.

• Tessera says:

Well actually — I am not the one who is battling. You are.

I am the one who is sitting here smiling, and being completely amused at this point. Now as for why I am amused..? That’s really not too hard to understand, especially if you know anything about human psychology. The people who feel the most threatened and insecure in their position are almost always the ones who are tossing out the majority of personal insults. People who have the truth on their side don’t need to resort to such tactics. So what have we learned today..? ;)

• Nick says:

From never havng heard of you to reading masses of your text, I’ve learned that you are extremely creepy.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’ve learned that platonic love CAN exist between two grown men.

Oh, and that you should ask your doctor if calcium channel blockers be right for you! Your blood pressure appears to be off the charts.

• pipman3000 says:

guys dont you get it he’s totally kickin’ back and laffin’ at you.

• Nick says:

I’ve also learned that you can’t hug a child with nuclear arms.

/ReducedSC

42. OctoVine says:

The debate over the patches is hilarious.

I tried the + patch and could barely tell that it did anything! A bunch of balance tweaks. And the original had huge balance problems, so these are welcome.

43. ezekiel2517 says:

What I would like to know is how did you, Tessera, found out about the comments in this blog :p

I am only curious and don’t aim to flame.

• Tessera says:

Answer: I have had my own web site for nearly six years and our veteran members tend to keep me apprised of anything having to do with Bloodlines. Including this blog, which I had never heard of before someone posted an excerpt from it on my own Forums.

• anonymousity says:

Also being fucking insane probably helps too, what’s that, someone is lauding another’s work on the internet? Fuck that to the crazy flame mobile!

44. Blackseraph says:

One of those games I freguently play, almost every year.

Not many games can say the same.

45. geldonyetich says:

Seeing the vitriol between the rival community patches here, I’m fairly afraid to install either. Which is a shame, because Bloodlines deserves better than to have its fans biting eachother in the neck.

46. Ganj says:

I hope everyone involved in the development of the World of Darkness MMO is given a copy of Bloodlines to play and after they’ve finished it, are made to play again as a Malkavian – one of the greatest gaming experiences there is to be had.

I suspect, (and hope) the MMO’s the closest thing we’ll see to a sequel.

47. Dominic White says:

Anyone find it funny that the ‘The TRUE GOLD PATCH is fine, really!’ posts happened within minutes of Tessera turning up? Either this is a forum raid, or someone at RPS needs to check the IPs of the people posting.

Either way, you’ve got a choice: Do you download the near-universally loved patch by a shockingly cool dude who has dedicated his free time to fixing up all manner of games… or do you download the patch by the rambling madman who penned that lovely, rambling, incoherent racist, homophobic death-threat above?

• pipman3000 says:

Hands Flat on Table With Thumbs
      Touching – Proves You Are Mirror
      Opposites – Not a Damn WESPist Lie.
      Opposites Pulsate Life, Wesp Is Death.

YOU DAMN EDUCATED STUPID
      WESPness FOOLS ARE DOOMED –
      BloodLines Has 4 Days In Same 24 Hours.

TRUE GOLD PATCH Transcends 1 Day God.

• Pemptus says:

Frankly I don’t care for either authors’ life stories, I just want a patch that does the most good.

I also don’t really care about “staying true to the original developer’s vision” and such, as the vanilla game was broken, unfinished and unbalanced.

Seriously, this “don’t download this, he’s a racist homophobe Hitler!”, “don’t download that, my patch is truer!” back and forth is the reason why I really hate the internet sometimes.

• Dominic White says:

If you want the good patch, you want Wesps, as mentioned. It has been steadily updated as a community effort over the past five years at least, and offers both purist (do you like unbalanced games?) and tuned versions. There’s really no contest.

• Pemptus says:

And have you tried the “true” patch or have you dismissed it outright because of its author’s controversial persona? I mean, I know I did about two years ago when I played with some version of Wesp’s patch, but now I want to employ a more cool-headed approach.

I mean I don’t think you’re forced to install any nude skins or homophobic rants and whatnot along with the “true” patch, so I don’t see what the problem is. I just don’t get the militancy.

I’ll *probably* be installing Wesp’s patch again for my next playthrough because I know most of the game, and added content sounds good, but still. Chill.

• Dominic White says:

Yes, I’ve tried it. It works.. just about, but hasn’t been updated in years and is made of other peoples efforts hacked together.

Wesps patch, on the other hand, is STILL finding minor errors in the original game and addressing them while offering improved balance and tuning in the Plus version, and has been doing so for years.

Most Bloodlines mods require, or are based on, Wesps patch.

• Pemptus says:

And that’s the kind of level-headed response I was looking for, thanks. :)

• arglaar says:

Dominic, honestly everything you are saying is wrong. Just flat out wrong.

The last time the True Patch was updated was about 3 weeks ago.
      Nothing in the True Patch was “copied”, however, some of the fixes were included from other authors WITH THEIR PERMISSION.

And, most of the fixes that Wesp has made in his patches, are to Fix bugs HE HIMSELF ADDED TO THE GAME when he “Restored content”
      If you would like some proof of this, you are welcome to read this thread here, where one of Tessera’s forum regulars does a step by step examination of the Changelog and then compares it to the actual changes in the code. Yes.. he even looked at the Python changes. You will see that yes, more than half of the “Fixes” that Wesp has put into the game were to fix the bugs he himself caused.

• pipman3000 says:

Where’s the 3 week old version of the True Gold Patch Ultra-Premium Edition: Soul Silver? I can only find the one from 2010.

Also you can stop pretending to be other people, RPS is a friendly, open community so there’s no need to hide behind sockpuppets :)

• Tessera says:

And once again, Dominic White is lying to the world about a patch that he doesn’t even use.

The True Patch Gold Edition was released late last year and it is the most recent version of the True Patch. It was not “hacked together from other people’s work,” as you keep trying to insist. Absolutely every single line of code, as well as every single map, model and texture fix contained within the True Patch was produced by myself and a professional Python programmer named Acrimonious. There are two or three small model repairs which were created by someone else (ex: DDLullu), and those repairs are properly cited and credited within the patch notes. Also, the authors of those repairs were first contacted for their permission, before ANY of their work was incorporated into the True Patch Gold Edition.

The True Patch Gold Edition receives updates ONLY if and when necessary. The most recent hotfix was released just last month, as a matter of fact. Simply reading through the official True Patch Gold Edition thread on the tessmage.com Forums will settle any confusion that you might have regarding how often and how recently the Gold Edition has been updated.
      But let’s cover another base here: there is a reason for why we haven’t had to release 50 new patches per year, the way Wesp does. It is because of two very important facts. First, there aren’t an endless number of critical bugs in the original game. Hence there are only so many repairs which are actually necessary… and the True Patch Gold Edition has already fixed them all. Secondly, it has been determined that many… if not most… of the “repairs” listed in each version of Wesp’s work are actually repairs to bugs THAT WESP HIMSELF CREATED, in prior iterations of his work. This fact has been independently verified… and yet somehow, Wesp consistently neglects to mention this very important fact within his patch notes. He prefers to mislead people into believing that he is actually fixing “new bugs” that somehow, he neglected to fix in the previous 200 versions of his “unofficial patch.”

Do any of you honestly believe that there were that many legitimate bugs in the plain vanilla game..? Well speaking as an expert, let me assure you that there were not. No, the truth is that the majority of Wesp’s current patch consists of arbitrary gameplay changes and numerous fixes to HIS OWN BUGS. I’m talking about bugs which DID NOT EXIST in the plain vanilla game, but which were in fact introduced by Wesp’s own sloppy coding, in previous versions of his work.

I hate to say it Dominic, but you remind me of the clowns who pose as “journalists” on Fox News. Just like them, you apparently feel that if you repeat a lie enough times, then eventually people will believe it. Well that would only be true if the people reading your lies were not aware of the actual facts. And that, my friend, is why I am here: to furnish them with the correct information, so that they do not become confused by your weak attempts to mislead them.

Bloodlines is just a game. And it was released in a buggy state, due to it being rushed out the door prematurely at the urging of ActiVision. Hence the existence of fan-made patches. I have produced one line of patches and Wesp has produced another. You, on the other hand, have produced nothing whatsoever which helps the larger Bloodlines community. So if this is some kind of contest that you are trying to have with me, then you have already lost.

Everyone should install whichever patch that they prefer. But they should do so after they have carefully considered all of the actual facts about both lines of patches. We are here to ensure that anyone reading this blog is made aware of the facts regarding the True Patch Gold Edition.

If you are a player who wants to play Troika’s game without bugs, then the True Patch Gold Edition is currently the -only- patch on the web which properly meets your needs. If, on the other hand, you wish to play Bloodlines with a large number of arbitrary and unnecessary changes… many of which you either will or will not want… then Wesp’s “unofficial patch” might be a better choice for you. It all depends on whether or not you are a purist, or someone who prefers a lot of mods mixed in with his/her bug fixes. I created the True Patch for purists. Wesp creates mods, mislabeled as a “patch.”

Those are the facts — and no amount of childishness is going to alter those facts. A simple line-by-line analysis of each patch will reveal the facts to anyone who bothers to take the time to do so.

Happy vamping, folks. Whichever patch you use, I am glad to see that Bloodlines continues to be popular. It’s my favorite PC-RPG of all time. :)

- Tessera -

PS — my screen name has nothing to do with anything feminine. The word “tessera” is Greek and it means “four” or “fourth.” I am in fact a mature man and as for why I chose this name, it’s a long story and a rather boring one at that.

• Tessera says:

@ pipman
      There are no sock puppets here. You are seeing comments from veteran tessmage.com members, all of whom are individuals in their own right. We have hundreds of members on my Forums, most of whom are avid Bloodlines fans, as well as being loyal True Patch users. Some of us decided to pop over here and say hello. And who knows..? Maybe a few dozen more might follow suit, later on today or tomorrow. Most of us enjoy any opportunity to interact with other Bloodlines fans. ;)

• Nick says:

I really hope they don’t.

• pipman3000 says:

Well can you tell them to develop distinct personalities and posting styles instead of aping off of yours? :)

live long and prosper

• Yosharian says:

Some observations:

1) @DominicWhite: I find it interesting that you talk about Tessera ‘turning up’ in the thread so quickly, when you yourself are ‘turning up’ on the first page of comments to warn everyone not to trust anything he says, before he has even commented. Perhaps you should examine your own behaviour first.

2) Both patches seem to have their merits, the TG patch seems like it’s more stable and closer to the original game, whereas WESP’s patch probably has a few extra fixes and modifications that people might like. Arguing over which is ‘best’ is pretty pointless – it’s up to the individual to make that choice.

3) WESP’s patch isn’t really a ‘patch’ in the normal sense of the word. I remember a while ago when I replayed a bit of Bloodlines and used that patch, and the installation was pretty confusing. I didn’t know whether I was patching, modding, or what. Now I see from various threads the actual ‘fixes’ that exist in WESP’s patch, it’s clear to me that it’s actually a mod. Now that’s fine, but really there needs to be more clarity in the documentation.

4) Based on a few threads that I’ve read that were posted in these comments, Tessera does seem to have some issues re: Nazis and so on. However, I don’t see why people are bringing this up, as it has no relevance to the discussion. The patches should be judged on their own merits, not by those of their authors. From what I can see, WESP’s patch has been accused of being a mod rather than a patch, based on evidence. On the other hand, the people attacking Tessera’s patch have come up with nothing more than some brief tirades made by the author.

Just some observations, guys. I think you all need to relax a bit and focus on the issues that matter here: making it clear to newcomers what both patches do, and allowing them to make an informed decision.

• pipman3000 says:

Dominic is an RPS regular, so of course he’d be here first.

4) is relevent because Tessera’s outbursts are fucking hilarious and they’re the best thing to come out of this stupid nerd version of West Side Story.

Now I’m imaging Tessera singing about how Wesp is an evil nazi Hitler :D

• Yosharian says:

I will admit that it’s amusing, but that’s not the point; Tessera’s character has nothing to do with his mod. I’ve yet to see any evidence presented against it.

Dom is a regular, fine. Regardless, he’s commenting on it very early on, suggesting that he spends a lot of his time on the internet reading websites… and he’s criticising Tessera for doing the same? Pot, kettle, black.

• pipman3000 says:

No is it not pot, kettle, black. If Dominic was calling Tessera an evil kraut and threatening to kill him then it would be a case of pot and kettle..

I don’t know what you saw in Dominic’s post but what I saw was a good-faith warning to keep away from what he believes is a sub par fa-patch made by a person with a toxic personality. How is that equal to a forum invasion?

• Yosharian says:

Well we disagree, because I think it is the pot calling the kettle black.

What I saw in DW’s post was an attempt to get one up on an opponent by getting in there first.

‘Sub-par’ fan patch is an accusation without a single shred of evidence as far as I can see.

‘Toxic personality’ – attacks on the author’s personality are irrelevant to this discussion.

‘Forum invasion’ – I see no forum invasion here. There’s maybe two or three people, including Tessera, posting to defend him.

• pipman3000 says:

I don’t have the energy to argue with you further (It’s getting late) but don’t pretend for even a second that Tessera’s toxic personality and mental issues are irrelevant. The only reason this is A Thing is because he can’t handle competition from another fan-patch without calling the other guy a nazi faggot Hitler and threatening to kill him.

Nobody would care whether you used WESP’s patch or True Gold Patch if Tess wasn’t such a borderline psychotic.

I’m retiring and if this argument is still going on in the morning I’ll drink myself back to sleep.

• Yosharian says:

Fair enough.

• Cerzi says:

As a nonchalant observer who has barely played bloodlines, let alone tried these mods/patches/whateverthefuck, this is starting to sound like “you’ve been given the right to vote between a douche and a turd”

Seriously, the territorial shit going on here is comical. If people want to try one patch then the other, let em. If they just wanna try one, let em. Enough with the propaganda, jesus. You guys arn’t running for president here.

right?

• anonymousity says:

@Cerzi thing is though Cerzi wesp isn’t on here righting page long tirades insulting people for having a critical opinion of his work, and acting like someone with borderline personality disorder. Also lulz “I am in fact a mature man and as for why I chose this name, it’s a long story and a rather boring one at that.”
      Man maybe, mature definitely not.

48. eightiesmullet says:

backs out of thread, slowly.

49. emotionengine says:

Having always been fascinated by Bloodlines but never having had the chance to actually play it, I I find revisiting Alec’s thoughts from 2007 helpful. I can seem to grasp the much mentioned tedium of the final third of the game, among other things.

Also regarding the patch debate, Alec had this to say:

Hilariously, there’s an angry geek war between fan patches – one that makes some tweaks to game as well as fixes, one that’s about killing bugs only, ferociously dedicated to preserving developer Troika’s original ‘vision.’ I can’t help but feel that, given just how obvious the late-game’s complete change of tack into bad, broken combat makes it that said vision was horribly compromised, those latter fans are being just a little too passionate. Also, the guys behind the ‘pure’ patch are just as dedicated to creating endless, incredibly tacky nude skins for Vampire’s more buxom lady characters, so it’s hard to consider their opinions wholly reliable.

So…

• Tessera says:

I have no idea who “Alec” is, but his comments are completely immaterial. Once again, we see someone trying to mix together apples and oranges… and then pretending that they are somehow the same. There is absolutely no connection whatsoever between the True Patch and any of my optional Bloodlines mods. They are completely separate and independent entities.

But just for laughs, I will mention an amusing statistic, for whatever it’s worth…

Wesp’s “Unofficial Patch” has been downloaded approximately 20,000 times. The True Patch Gold Edition has been downloaded approximately 12,000 times. But my very popular Jeanette Voerman semi-nude mod was downloaded in excess of 86,000 times worldwide… before I finally stopped offering it to the public. Which in effect means that my semi-nude Jeanette Voerman mod has proven itself to be enormously more popular than BOTH lines of fan-made patches COMBINED. Strange, but true… and it always makes me chuckle whenever I think about it.

Bloodlines is a game for adults… and it contains nudity, sexual situations, drug use, adult themes, strong language and graphic violence right out of the box. So if you are bothered by mature content for some reason, then this is definitely not the game for you. And also, stay out of art museums — because there’s loads of topless paintings and sculptures in there. We wouldn’t want you to become upset by all of those bare boobies. :P

• oceanclub says:

“And also, stay out of art museums — because there’s loads of topless paintings and sculptures in there. We wouldn’t want you to become upset by all of those bare boobies. :P”

Yes, but you’re a guy who thinks the Mona Lisa would be better if you could paint tits on it.

P.

• Starky says:

Don’t be silly Ocean, EVERYTHING is better with tits painted on it. :)

• oceanclub says:

Including WOW it seems:

(VERY NSFW):

(Facepalm x 3) (I had to borrow a palm)

P.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, I’m fairly sure you can’t scream ‘artistic expression!’ when one of your crowning glories is a mod for Hellgate: London that makes all women naked.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I did an enormous LOL at that picture. Brilliant.

• pipman3000 says:

I’m no longer allowed in art museums after “the incident” :(

50. noodlecake says:

I played it with the fan patch. The first few hours were quite good if you forgive the fact that none of the mechanics really work and just pretend that you’re reading an interactive novel… and then it sort of just falls apart a bit and even that aspect doesn’t really work that well. I’ve played much more enjoyable games that have been attacked by the press. I think the fan updates are due to vampire obsessives more than anything.