Origin Charging £45 For SW:TOR Pre-Orders!

By John Walker on July 21st, 2011 at 9:16 am.

Is this worth your life savings?

Update: GAME are now selling the Collector’s Edition for… £130!

Yesterday’s leak of the Star Wars: The Old Republic special edition has proven, not surprisingly, to be accurate. With ComicCon starting today, EA have somewhat pre-empted their in-show announcement by going official with the various packages on their site, perhaps in response to the rumours that swirled yesterday. However, while confirming everything that was expected (including that spunky mouse), they’ve yet to add a proper price to it all, despite claiming you can pre-order now. And as for the regular versions – the prices out there are looking ridiculous.

At the time of publishing, clicking on their giant “PRE-ORDER NOW!” button takes you to a list of retailers around the world accepting pre-orders. In the UK that’s Game, Play.com and Amazon.co.uk. The problem being, none of them actually has the Collector’s Edition available to pre-order, somewhat undermining that “NOW!”

As for the regular edition, Amazon.co.uk explains that it’s “currently unavailable”. Game has it at the frankly ludicrous pre-order price of £40. And Play doesn’t have it listed at all.

GameStop in the US have a listing in their search results, pricing the standard version at $60, but when you click through the page has been removed. Meanwhile Best Buy and Walmart have never heard of it.

But what about Origin – EA’s own online store? Oh good grief.

The “Standard Edition” is priced at an extraordinarily unstandard £45, while the “Digital Deluxe” version is an eye-hurting £60! It also says there’s the pre-order fee of £5, and I can’t see anywhere that says this is deducted from the total amount. Goodness knows.

But the Collector’s Edition? I’ve finally found somewhere claiming to sell it. That’s the US Amazon.com, who price the giant box at a gob-smacking $150 (£93). You can see what’s in it at the site, or here.

We’ve contacted EA to see if these prices are for real, and when we can expect the Collector’s Edition to actually be pre-orderable in the UK.

, , , .

1. mondomau says:

‘Good grief’ sums it up nicely.

• Kadayi says:

Indeed. I can only assume that John Riccotello has decided that the entire TOR affair was a huge waste of money and is doing his best to kill it off ASAP.

Not only are the prices terrible (£35, £45 & £75 would be more realistic), but the ‘extras’ you get are barely worthy of the term. Where’s the Art book, and ‘Making of’ etc, etc?

Marketing dudes at EA need to look at what EIDOS/Square are doing with DXHR with the augmented and collectors editions or CDProjekt did with the The Witcher 2 and get with the program a bit if they want to ship the kind of numbers they need to.

2. Icarus says:

nope.avi

3. Vexing Vision says:

Well, if you really don’t want me to try your online game, just tell me so!

• Wulf says:

That’s what I was thinking.

That’s nail in the coffin stuff right there. This is a massive, eye-searing and brightly lit “EA’s greediness ruins everything!” sign.

I’m so glad I’m not interested in this one.

Anthile says:

I guess that means Australians will need suitcases to buy it.

• SLeigher says:

we are currently deemed to dirty to buy it:

Star Wars: The Old Republic is not available in your region

To maintain a high quality of service, only certain regions worldwide will be able to pre-order Star Wars: The Old Republic.

• Heliocentric says:

That said, if you wanted to battle strange and deadly life forms in a hostile environment, unique sociological conditions and a government who hates Jedi* you could just go outside.

*ref: census forms

• SLeigher says:

i do love a good census joke

• JackShandy says:

So if the classic australian = american X2 formula holds up, we’ll be seeing the collectors edition for $300. In normal game terms, that’s roughly 1,000 hours of entertainment.

• Stormbane says:

No SWTOR for New Zealand either. We gave them Temuera Morrison goddamit.

• wcaypahwat says:

Morrison ruined starwars for me. I can’t look at a clone trooper any more, without imagining him yelling at someone to cook him some eggs :/

• Pre-order SWTOR Australia says:

It really isn’t an issue, check out this site: Pre-order SWTOR Australia It has instructions on how to pre-order and information regarding early game access etc so that us Aussies don’t have to worry about not being able to pre-order through origin! its got links direct to order pages where Aussies/New Zealanders can pre-order SWTOR, and the awesome thing is, we won’t be playing any later than official release countries (explained on the site) and it would actually work out cheaper than ordering from EB!!

P.s. they still got collector’s edition available so get ordering while they still there, i’ve ordered mine :D can’t wait to be playing with all you aussies who think we cant get the game!

5. Juan Carlo says:

Wow.

That’s just greedy and stupid. I thought the whole point of MMOs was snagging people so they will pay the monthly fee.

• CaspianRoach says:

It’s obvious, really. They aren’t confident in the game’s lastability, it will probably nosedive after a few months or so. This way they get at least some money from developing back.

• FakeAssName says:

not to mention that they need to set it high so that they aren’t actually losing money when it comes time for that mandatory “OMGWTF?!?! we are selling pre-orders for 15% off!!!!” discount.

the sad thing is that so many dumb fucks will still pay this.

• BooleanBob says:

“Why charge 80 dollars for the game when you plan on making the bulk of your money on prescription fees?”

“It’s obvious, really. They aren’t confident in the game’s lastability”

“the sad thing is that so many dumb fucks will still pay this.”

Not having a go at anyone – I certainly won’t be biting at that price – but it’s still entirely possible that they’re actually confident the game is good enough that they will shift copies AND retain a sustainable subs base. That might well be hubris, but with the game not even out I’m not sure we can second-guess their motives at this stage.

• Lobotomist says:

I think its obvious by now that game was the largest investment in game industry – around 300 million dollars according to sources.

They are afraid subscriptions alone will not be enough to return this investment. Especially now days that subscriptions take dive even after first month , and 3 month later the servers become deserted.

I would not be surprised they charge 60$ for game + subscription + item shop (very soon after launch) + mini expansions

All in all , i am on the edge of giving this game a fair chance.
      But everything over 50$ for a game with additional subscription is NO in my book.

And I am sure many feel the same way.

Even more users for GW2

• Mark says:

My gut feeling is the same as Caspian’s. A lot of money has been spent developing the game, they’re worried about the critical reaction and long-term sustainability, and so they’ve worked out how many sales they can make on the basis of hype. If the game is good, then people will pay. If the game is bad, then they’ll still get the lion’s share of sales from people who’ve pre-ordered. A bird in the hand…

• Nalano says:

I think it screams “we need money” with that faint whiff of desperation.

We’re talking James Cameron-comparable investment levels, except in an over-saturated market which has, sadly, something of a zero-sum player base. (Who plays more than one sub-based MMO at a time?)

God, I hope this doesn’t blow up in Bioware’s face. Not because I plan on getting into TOR (I don’t), but because I don’t want Bioware to fade away.

• Zogtee says:

I think it is a case of nerves as well. The SW brand isn’t as strong as it has been, the market isn’t as enthusiastic about the game as EA expected, and the timing couldn’t be worse. Everyone’s going free to play now and GW2 is lurking around the corner, which a large chunk of the MMOG players have set their sights on. If TOR isn’t polished to the back of beyond when it’s released, the internets will tear apart whatever flaws they find and shout about it from the rooftops. Exciting! :)

FriendlyFire says:

It also has to fill the shoes of Galaxies, which, despite the criticisms, still sounds like a much deeper and varied game than TOR.

“Even more users for GW2″

Hooray!

If EA’s greed and stupidity manage to convince people that the WoW approach of expensive boxes and ongoing subscriptions is a bad idea, then they might also convince people that the entire WoW model has gone sour and that the Guild Wars 2 way is the way forward. That was going to happen to a huge degree anyway, but if EA’s idiocy helps to convert more people, then I’m all for it.

We need more people on the buy-to-play and anti-grind boats, for they are happy places where you can buy and enjoy a game without having your wallet or social life raped. I’m honestly expecting SW:TOR to employ all the old psychological tricks that hunt weak-willed people that WoW did (the citation of this tends to make people butt-hurt, but I dun care); In that it’ll have raids and repetitive tasks designed to be as addictive as crack cocaine without being fun, and then they’ll have people quit their jobs and their lives in favour of grinding due to being weak-willed and unable to walk away from their character if they’re not given any closure.

After some of you having experienced that in WoW, do you really want to experience that again in SW:TOR or are you burned out and smarter than that, now?

GW2 is the way forward for MMOs.

The sooner people realise that, the better.

• Stupoider says:

@Wulf Yes, well hold your horses, we haven’t even played it yet.

• Bilbo says:

Not arguing that it isn’t silly expensive or that it didn’t cost a lot to make, but I’m sick of seeing that “$300million” figure used as fact. It isn’t – one disgruntled ex-employee (got fired) of EA pulled that figure out of his arse.

Just because someone said something on the internet once doesn’t make it true. If you’re going to cite statistics, verify them. /rant

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

So.. iif you lot are correct, the game was really expensive to make and now they aren’t confident it will appeal to people sufficiently to make subscriptions last?

If that is true that speaks volumes about how good the game really is. The other possibility is that they’re just moneyhoardin’ bastards.

MerseyMal says:

I suspect the price will have massively dropped at least on Amazon and GAME by release date.

• aircool says:

Possibly – I know with GAME, if the price drops before release, you get charged the new, lower price. If it goes up, you pay the original, lower price.

• Nalano says:

Anything else and they’d risk a lawsuit.

7. Bobsy says:

This is the thing: I want the soundtrack. I want the soundtrack a lot. I love music! But I don’t love it to the tune of £100. I certainly don’t love useless statues of MMO characters that aren’t my characters. Or a paper map that will be significantly less useful than an in-game map.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Would be sweet if you somehow could order a statue of your actual characters, directly from the char generator (or in high-end gear for your elitist needs). :) Market gap?

• Bobsy says:

Hardly a gap. You can do this in WoW. But it is very expensive.

The real trick is to do it in Champions Online. Now that would be something special.

• Teddy Leach says:

I’m going to go out on a limb, and say that the soundtrack is the same as in EVERY OTHER STAR WARS GAME EVER MADE.

@Teddy Leach

I watched a video of 90 minutes of play of SW:TOR a while ago to confirm my worst suspicions about the game (and they were so very confirmed, even to the point where I fell asleep a few times), and the music was pretty much just Star Wars but tweaked. I recognised every track. Bioware… you can’t just remix things a bit and consider it ‘original,’ either that or they kept it so ‘authentic’ that it all just sounded like the stuff from the films anyway.

• Bilbo says:

You fell asleep a few times in a 90 minute video?

Go to bed.

Seriously, there’s superbias hate and there’s inventing a stupid story

• qrter says:

Surely the soundtrack will become available seperately too, if only on iTunes.

• Teddy Leach says:

And THAT, my friends, is why I have completely gone off Star Wars games.

• Bilbo says:

What is? iTunes?

What a concept!

8. zeroskill says:

Guild Wars 2 it is then!

• Gnoupi says:

Yup, can’t wait for this one either, but they sure do take their sweet time :P

• Stormbane says:

How great would it be if GW2 announced their release date close to TOR’s release date?
      If they were within even a month the nature of MMO’s would ensure most players would have to choose one or the other.

It would be a humbling lesson in greed for Bioware and EA.

• Wulf says:

The funny thing is is that they could do it, and they could win, only taking minimal losses along the way. But ArenaNet aren’t petty, so they won’t do that, they’ll schedule it differently to SW:TOR. But yeah, even if they did it then it would pretty much eat SW:TOR’s userbase alive.

Unlike the TOR train, which has slowed to a near halt due to it being just WoW in space, the GW2 train is going full steam ahead for actually doing things differently. I’m terribly eager to run my charr into a bunch of dynamic events. I haven’t felt this way about an MMO since Ultima Online. Is anyone else getting that feeling? It’s like it’s going to be something completely new. What they’re doing with replacing all quests with dynamic events is Undiscovered Country shit, right there.

They can take as long as they want with it so long as they get that right.

• Lightbulb says:

I’m trying to work on the basis that hype kills games and GW2 will be an “ok” game. But in the back of my mind I can’t wait to play it! :)

9. Myros says:

It’s all a PR stunt to create phoney internet rage and get people talking about the game.

And, um, … there’s no way I buy it at that price!

stahlwerk says:

You could be on to something there. Or maybe they have listened to people saying “I’ll buy it when it’s in a steam sale”, perpetually selling it for 50% off.

• TheEggplant says:

Gears of War 3 special edition is $150 USD on Amazon, so I think this is the actual price. TOR is a best seller on Amazon.com right now. I am so very very disappointed.

10. Headache says:

Well at that sort of price I won’t be buying it, shame really as I thought it looked promising and would have been the first MMORPG I’d have played since quitting WoW back in 2007.

11. NegativeZero says:

Could be worse. You could be in Australia, where the cost of any version of the game is whatever it costs to emigrate to another country where you’re actually allowed to preorder it at all :(

• SLeigher says:

and even without exaggerating it is always cheaper to import even with shipping

• NegativeZero says:

Yeah, obviously. The issue here is that the game cannot be preordered in Australia, at all. Which given that said preorders involve early access and extra stuff is a bit of a blow – and not something you can import around, either.

• Nalano says:

Did they solve the loophole where you make friends with somebody in the States who has a Steam account and can gift it to you?

JohnArr says:

It’s pretty visionary of EA to effectively sell ‘pre-order bonuses’ with the pre-order fee. They must have taken an early lunch when they figured that one out.

13. BattleMage says:

GAME now lists the CE for £130 and Amazon Germany for €150 (~ £132). Madness!

14. iamseb says:

It used to be that betas were free, because the audience were actually performing an invaluable service for the developer in testing their software for both bugs and balance before general release.

Now it seems that publishers use them as paid demos to ramp up the day 1 sales figures. The balancing and bugs get ironed out in the first few months after release (by which time the curious casual audience has returned to WoW).

The exorbitant price-tag for the box which, for a game with monthly subscriptions is all you’re paying for, seems a reflection of EA’s uncertainty about the lifespan of the product once the beta and the first free month has passed.

• Calneon says:

Rift had a good sized free beta period, so I think it’s unfair to lump every publisher in with the scum that is EA.

• aircool says:

Rift is a pretty good MMO, albeit very traditional. However, like every MMO, it suffers from the lvl 20-30 induced apathy, where reward comes too slowly to keep many interested*.

*Ok, GW was an exception, it was always fun and challenging, plus no subs. And, for some reason, I still like playing Champions online regardless of level.

• Wulf says:

Guild Wars and Champions were always the exceptions. It’s why I keep talking them up. With Champions, you can just jump in and have some fun doing a number of silly things, and due to the way the game is, you don’t have to worry about things like raids, role in the party, the holy trinity… it’s like it’s a hint of what ArenaNet are trying to do with Guild Wars 2. Like Cryptic saw the idea but botched the execution. But even with the execution of Champions Online being so botched, it’s still more fun than almost every other online game I’ve ever played in… well, ever.

Guild Wars is awesome because it has a story and drop-in gameplay that you can revisit at any time. Sometimes I just feel like romping around Elona with Pyre (which I can do, because the game lets me!), so I go and do that. It’s a lot of fun. I have a particularly fun memory of doing a level 10 suicide run to get Pyre (since you can start that quest at level 10) and not stopping for anything. What surprised me was how quickly I managed to do it. But when I got back to Elona I had a bunch of level 20 heroes (including Pyre) and some seriously buff equipment. This made that campaign very easy but also highly entertaining.

Guild Wars just has this sense of playing it differently that other games don’t have, you don’t feel chained down. That’s part of the magic of it. You can approach Guild Wars in so many different ways. And that’s one of the most important things that I hope they’re keeping for Guild Wars 2. And the way they tell it, being able to portal between any of the cities at the very beginning, being able to take on whatever content you like, and even being able to accompany people into high-level content… it just sounds like they realise one of the things that made GW so very fun.

15. guitarmy says:

So now I can finally pay additional fees for giving them money upfront? Now that’s nice!

I know it’s only a matter of wording, but… Boy, do they actually know what they’re doing?

• theflyingbuddha says:

I think the additional $5 for preorders is definitely the most ridiculous part.

• Brutal Deluxe says:

Shame on you for wanting to pre-order! A fee is too good for you. We need tougher action on this. I DEMAND JAILTIME.

16. torchedEARTH says:

Sweet Zombie Stormtrooper.

I could buy A LOT of games with that sort of money that would keep me happy A LOT longer.

• Bobsy says:

Well I take (minor) issue with that. The big sell on TOR as a game I think is its longevity. Eight seperate RPG campaigns in one, yeah. Still ludicrously-expensive, but still.

• Vexing Vision says:

But don’t forget the subscription fee of 15€ a month.

Playing all eight campaigns to max will probably last 5 to 6 months for a hardcore player.

• aircool says:

I’m not convinced on the eight campaigns business. In fact, I’m quite suspicious. One of the interesting aspects of RPG’s (MMO or otherwise) is tackling the same missions in a completely different way with different character classes.

• torchedEARTH says:

Sorry – I should have said that outburst was to the £130 collectors edition. Although £45 is still a lot of money.

@aircool

“I’m not convinced on the eight campaigns business.”

I always read it as eight WoW campaigns rather than eight Knights campaigns. That they could probably pull off, because if you’re being honest then WoW is 90% padding and repetitive tasks. Whenever an MMO brags of longevity I tend to hear ‘grind,’ and my mind tends to replace one with the other. ArenaNet are saying that their game will have a lot of content but they’re not saying how long it’ll take you to complete. Now that I find much more reassuring.

I don’t want a game to be padded and grindy to keep me playing it. I’d rather move on to another game that has new mechanics and does different things. I mean, I could get Terraria, Minecraft, Cthulhu Saves teh World, Proun, Drawn – Dark Flight, BEEP, CreaVures, Nimbus, Solar 2, and a bunch of other, similar games for that price and probably have more fun and I’ll be entertained for longer.

There’s the trick: Entertained for longer.

Longevity doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll be entertained for all the time you’ll be playing, but rather more simply hooked. I will again quote Bioware, here: “It’s stupid to break any of WoW’s rules. Any of them.”

That’s their design philosophy. Right there. And with that perhaps you’ll see why I’m saying what I’m saying.

Makariel says:

pre-order fee? o.Oa

18. Danbanan says:

750 swedish kronor = 68 £ for the digital version.
    Isn’t pre-orders supposed to be like 5-10% off since you are being a nice lad/girl.
    I mean “Thanks for pre-ordering please pay your 5£ EA pre-order tax on the way out”

Needless to say there wil be no pre-order from me at this price.

• Eraysor says:

The fact they want to compete with Steam is even funnier considering Steam usually knocks off 10% of the price if you preorder something. Here EA are adding 10%!

skalpadda says:

Hell the normal version is 549SEK, (62,15€, 53,38£) and you don’t even get a box, just initial access to the game and 30 days of playtime.

19. Tei says:

LOTR and other MMO’s have a version that is more expensive, but include a free lifetime subscription.
    With good MMO’s and if you like to play these type of games for years, is normally a good idea to buy that version, so you don’t have to pay subscription fees. I wonder how much will cost that version, if exist….

• aircool says:

Lifetime sub for Lotro was a great purchase for me. The difficulty level is quite high, but the depth of the game is, not suprisingly, er, very deep. I don’t play it very often, but I’ve already covered my lifetime sub in months played, and even though it’s F2Pnow, I still get the benefits of a subscriber.

• Wulf says:

I have a lifetime sub for Champions Online, too, and I don’t regret that in the slightest. CO is now free to play too, but to be honest, with the amount of quality entertainment I’ve gotten from Cryptic, I was happy to give my money to them. And they tended to cater to my every whim. Let’s say I wanted to be a pink healer werewolf named Woodstock, with rainbow coloured powers and rainbow flight… I CAN DO THAT.

There’s a… a sort of ART to Champions Online. Some people will just have ‘random button’ characters, some people will have ‘copycat characters’, and some people will have clever ones. But then there are some people that have let their unbridled creativity loose with character creation, and their character, the way they play them, their visual design, powers, and their origin story, and how the whole package comes together is just this moment of brilliance. And you just want to know that person.

There are some absolutely bloody transcendent elements to CO because of that. It’s like they encourage people to be untamed. They almost say “Hey, it’s okay. We don’t mind. Feel free to do what-the-hell ever here.” and people do. And it’s amazing. It can be incredible.

And just seeing what sorts of characters I can wring out of my admittedly questionable mind to join in on that foray with is fulfilling, almost gratifying. And to a degree it reminds me of Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo mini-series, and how that deconstructed comic book heroes. If you haven’t read that then you really should. But anyway, I’m going to stop rambling now and leave it at that.

In finishing: I don’t regret my purchase of a CO lifetime subscription because every time I go back there I see something new and amazing. Not because of the game itself, but rather because of the people that play it. You should be jealous and envious of them for they are magnificent.

PoulWrist says:

130£ for a game you’re gonna play 14 days! Good stuff!

21. Giant says:

The pre-order fee is shown further down the page as being subtracted from the 44.99 price for the standard. It’s still extortionate but not as totally outrageous as before.

That said Amazon is offering it for ~£35 .

• Hallgrim says:

Good to know. They should definitely stop using the word “fee” though.

22. Faceless says:

“Extraordinarily unstandard £45″? That’s basically the price for Steam games outside of the UK – €49. A ludicrous price tag, to be sure, but not exactly something new.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s €55 in countries wot have the Euro.

The “cheap” price of the collector’s edition seems to be $150, a much better deal than €150 ($214).

• Tei says:

So for $214 you buy a installer that you can use a lifetime. And 30 days of play.

Phinor says:

In some parts of €uro-zone no amount of € is enough to get you this game:

“Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not available in your region
      To maintain a high quality of service, only certain regions worldwide will be able to pre-order Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.”

So it’s a question of quality of service to not allow pre-orders in Finland. That’s a first even for me. Not that I was going to pre-order or buy this one but still, wanted to see the price.

Carra says:

Ah, we’re finally getting fair prices for all. Although I hoped that the prices would go to the UK model, not the other way around.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Finland obviously has too many trolls.

• Kaira- says:

No we don- wait, yes we do. Damn.

23. Zarunil says:

Wait, are they seriously charging an extra fee of £5 if you want to pre-order? What the hell, isn’t it supposed to be the other way around? Either EA made a poo-poo or their greed knows no bounds.

Also, the pricing at Origin is laughable. I wanted to get the standard edition, but no way am I forking out £45. I’ll start clearing my backlog of games, and get this a few months after release once the price has dropped.

24. Kdansky says:

The fans will buy it anyway. I call this well thought out, and I think they could have upped that by at least 20% more without selling less copies.

• Vexing Vision says:

But a lot of people are on the fence about it.

It was certainly my intention to play it for a month to see what the big kid around the door is looking like, but at this price tag, I’ll stick to reading reviews.

• Juan Carlo says:

I said that about Galaxies too at the time but Galaxies failed. Maybe it made its money back, but it certainly didn’t become the insane WOW style money generator that EA seems to hope TOR will become.

Star Wars alone really isn’t as “bulletproof” as it once was. If this game sucks it will fail, regardless of having the Star Wars brand.

25. Staggy says:

Well, there in goes the final nail. DLC politics, extortionate price and the games’ actual appeal ever waning.

I’m out.

• Vile Vile Vilde says:

Orly.
      You’ll come crawling back.
      They always do.

• Nalano says:

Put dogshit in a box and slap a pic of a Twi’lek in front, people will still buy it.

• Wulf says:

Star Wars isn’t as attractive an IP as it used to be. Hopefully all these disenfranchised SW:TOR fans will pour over to GW2, which will be entirely more sane. Pay once for the box, same price as any other single-player game, and never pay for a subscription.

26. Stupoider says:

Hahahaha- oh wait, you’re serious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

27. Telke says:

RPS: Is there any news of an Oceanic release date? Origin says “this item is not yet available in your region”, and Bioware is way too silent about whether us Aus/NZ crowd will be able to buy on release day…

28. magnus says:

£45? A textbook definition of the term ‘Cutting of your nose to spite your face’

29. Kirioth says:

I wasn’t all that keen on this game to begin with. Charging considerably more for it than PC games usually cost is not going to help in swaying me.

You could get a lot of bloody good games for £130.

• Juan Carlo says:

No kidding.

I spent 80 dollars in the last steam sale on got like 23 games.

For 80 dollars plus subscription fees, this game better be every game ever!

I want it to not only be an RPG, but also a FPS, a God/universe simulator, a racing game, a point and click adventure……and also let you play chess and poker in the canteens to boot.

• Ian says:

And it has to make the tea and give me back-rubs.

30. aircool says:

Haha ha ha hah haaa haaaahh haaaaaaah! With such ridiculous prices for a game which is looking more and more average with every trailer released, EA have found an excellent way to promote piracy.

Sadly though, I think they’ll still make a mint because it’s Star Wars. However, I’m sure all the online retailers selling physical copies will be selling them for about £20 soon after launch.

Meanwhile, many indie developers are giving us the ‘early 90′s’ vibe and producing cheap games that are fun to play… exactly what PC gaming is all about.

Carra says:

Mmorpgs are pretty much immune to piracy.

• aircool says:

Not for long…

• Tei says:

Not totally inmune. If you googles the words “private servers”, you can find somehow some people has managed to write emulators for some popular games, or get his hands on a stolen working server instance. So there are *cough* a lot of private servers.

• Wulf says:

MMORPGs definitely aren’t immune to piracy. It all depends on how simple it is to create a server for. And if most of the content in the game is single-player, we’re looking at ‘very simple’ here as a probable answer.

And really, I don’t think this’ll sell so well. Star Wars really stopped being interesting a few years back. Some bad Star Wars films and LucasArts milking it with bad games helped finish it off. Even the most ardent Star Wars fan will likely think twice about this.

• HothMonster says:

Yeah private servers exist for alot of MMO’s but they devs usually break them with every content upgrade. Playing on one is usually more hassle than the 15$ a month is worth, unless you are ok with playing a 4 year old version of WOW

Carra says:

[url=http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/21619247/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Early-Access-Pack/Product.html]Play[/url] does seem to have it listed at £40/€40.
    In any case, I preordered it over a year ago on play.com @ €37. Figured that price wouldn’t go down.

32. Squeeby says:

A “pre order fee”?! What?

33. jacobvandy says:

Wow. And the pre-order fee for the CE is $20!

34. CMaster says:

A “pre order fee”.
    So in exchange for giving you money months in advance of it being necessary (bad economics for you), taking a chance on a game that nobody has even had a chance to play yet and might not ever even be launched, you have to pay them extra? This is insanity – pre-ordering is already not a sensible or rational thing for players to do. Now it’s even less so!

• Milky1985 says:

Actually its good in one way, as you have paid specifically for the pre-order if the date slips and they do somethign stupid like refuse to cancel your pre-order i think you have a bigger legal stick to beat them with.

Although knowing EA they have put somethign in the T and C to say you can’t claim it back if you cancel your pre-order.

• HothMonster says:

woot just what i always wanted a chance to spend thousands on legal fees to recoup 5$ from a EA.

35. DazedByTheHaze says:

I will try it when it’s f2p in a few months AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Stupid fucks…

36. kutkh says:

On Origin it’s £39.99 + £5, if you get as far as the checkout. So the pre-order fee’s included in that £45. Which is generous of them.

37. Deano2099 says:

Just a thought, but if you’re launching a huge new MMO, and you’ve never done an MMO before, and you have a property that could easily do millions… you probably don’t want to have that many day-one sales as you’ll end up with server queues, instability and all that lot.

What you’d rather do is sell a steadily increasing number of boxes over the first year and build it up slowly. What I’m saying is, if the price puts people off, and so they decide to wait a few months until it drops to ‘normal’ prices, then I doubt Bioware/EA will be that unhappy. Unlike every other type of videogame, the success of an MMO isn’t down to how many boxes it shifts in the first month.

• aircool says:

Nah – I’d say that it’s a great way to recoup costs and make a profit before people realise the game isn’t worth s**t, yet still shelled out for a 6 month sub.

All indicators point to the game being utter trash, or absolutely brilliant. Going on past experience, I’d put money on the former.

Nathan says:

I can’t imagine them doing this just to recoup costs upfront. Attempting to recoup an estimated $300 million upfront is not something that’s going to happen at any pricepoint.

I bet EA have run all the numbers on this. They *do* know what they’re doing.

• Nick says:

damage limitation maybe?

38. Longrat says:

It’s blatantly obvious that these insane prices are here because EA is certain that this game won’t succeed. They’re panicking and they want to get a return on their INSANE 300$ million investment into this shitpile as fast as possible before it crashes and burns.

Oh bioware, what has become of you?

• Acorino says:

Problem is, how many people will buy it at these insane prices?
      I mean, you can hike the price all you want, but it’s of no help when nobody buys it then…

39. StuffedCabbage says:

Not only am I not paying those ridiculous prices, but I’m now in the process of removing that piece of shite that is origin from my PC. Go fuck yourselves EA!!!

40. Jockie says:

Having seen this I’ve gone from a possible pre-order/probably day one purchaser, to a ‘Fuck off you money grabbing gits’.

41. tewi says:

That sounds great, I hope they’ll start peddling lifetime subs too. There’s no better sign of a successful MMO than that.

• MiniMatt says:

Yeah – with the exception of LOTRO (which was some time ago) I don’t think I’ve seen a lifetime sub yet which hasn’t been the mark of a disaster in waiting.

Though I doubt we’ll see lifetime subs with SWTOR. I get the impression that the publishers and devs very much believe their own hype on this one, ie. that it truly is fantastic, that it truly will have people subscribed for years and they truly will pay bonkers box prices. Fingers crossed this is the case (though won’t be paying anything like that to find out thank you very much) but fear it might turn out a bit poo.

• Wulf says:

Actually, since going free-to-play, Champions Online has been seeing exponentially increasing revenue too. And that has a lifetime sub.

42. Milky1985 says:

“It also says there’s the pre-order fee of £5,”

So THATS the point of falling out between EA and steam then! They want to start charging pre-order fees and valve laughed them out the door as its a STUPID RETARDED IDEA.

Shurly they want us to pre-order as it looks good for there books and gives them a good idea of something selling well, why put us off by charging us for saying “yes we like your game and intend to get it asap”?

• Tei says:

Don’t really make much sense.

But I suppose EA has find that people are willing to pay more to access a open beta. And thats the extra $5.

43. noom says:

This has now become one of the only games to be released in quite a while that I’m absolutely certain I don’t want. That’s quite some achievement…

If this sells well I think I’m just going to give away my PC and become a monk or something.

44. Jajusha says:

First that horrible horrible PVE trailer

Now this price? No thank you.

45. Joe Duck says:

I wonder if the reason why so many MMOs fail is because they are marketed like the rest of games, with a “first week” mentality. They are sold as the next big shiny thing. Marketing wise, I see no big difference between TOR and CODBLOPS or any other AAA monster.
    They design their strategy in order to get a lot of first week buys. And in fact they do achieve that goal, it happened with Warhammer, Star Trek or even Hellgate. The frenzy is built up pumping up the publicity, media coverage, the info trickle, the viral and social marketings and of course, the trailers.
    So what happens? That when they come out in the market, these game’s sales figures behave like normal games because they are sold exactly the same way. And exactly as normal games do, they fizzle out after one or two months and people moves on to the next big shiny thing.

46. jdobrowski says:

I’m not entirely sure what all the rage is about – if you want it just don’t buy it from Origin. It’s £34 on Amazon, which while a little expensive for a PC game isn’t ludicrously expensive for a AAA title. And if you don’t want it, why do you even care?

• aircool says:

In the back of people’s minds, they’re worrying about what will happen to future EA games that are going to be Origin only… like BF3 for example.

Thank f**k you can still get physical copies of games.

jezcentral says:

I don’t see the problem. EA will have done their homework, and worked out what they can charge. If you don’t want to pay this, wait until the price goes down.

I’m sure there are plenty of people prepared to pay the extra fiver to get early access to the game, and given the amount some spend on TF2 hats, I’m sure there are others who want a “spunky mouse”.

It’s not ideal, but I spent over the “standard price” for StarCraft 2, because I wanted the game immediately. The same will probably happen here.

That said, I hope the price comes down quickly for those who can’t afford it yet.

• aircool says:

Sadly, the result of EA’s homework tends to be..

4/10 See me!

• Wulf says:

Because “preorder fee” screams “You would have to be stupid to buy this!”

EA isn’t very good at its economics class, is it?

48. Sicram says:

GW2 it is then! Although I was curious about this game I no longer am after reading a lot of “reskinned WOW” comments. Also, I’m sortakinda allergic to monthly subs, hate ‘em.

• Wulf says:

Those comments are actually Bioware’s fault, entertainingly. They said themselves that they’re staying as closely to WoW’s design lessons as possible, and they outright said that it would be stupid to do anything else.

So apparently ArenaNet are being stupid whilst this approach we see here is supposedly intelligent. This amuses me greatly. I love you, Bioware, for the quality entertainment you provide me with in every press release.

49. Kem0sabe says:

Just wait for the inevitable price drop in a couple of months, when subscriptions bomb like it was September 18, 2008 :)

50. JoNike says:

On Origin it seems to be 54,99$ + 5$ for pre-order fees. Who the f is charging pre-order fees for a numeric pre-order, really? Aren’t they suppose to give a discount for pre-ordering the game?