Saved From Oblivion: Dibella’s Watch

By Jim Rossignol on August 5th, 2011 at 2:20 pm.

If you’re looking to take your mind off impending global catastrophe this weekend you could do worse than checking out the v1.0 release of Oblivion mod Dibella’s Watch. It’s a new “continent” for Oblivion, which includes “a major city, castles, towns, villages, farms, monasteries and all the good stuff that makes up a Medieval landscape.” It’s a pretty huge Oblivion mod put together by a single person, and, while not as ludicrously as full-featured as total conversions like the almighty Nehrim (yes, I am still meaning to come back to that one day), it’s a really impressive piece of work, and worth a look if you just want a new landscape and some fresh quests for Oblivion itself.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MadTinkerer says:

But can you bid for in-game items with real money over a constant internet connection? Get with the future, man.

2. banski83 says:

Any particular global catastrophe I should be cowering in fear of this weekend? *checks catastrope calendar* … I wasn’t aware of any impending doom for this weekend.

3. JayG says:

Glad I ain’t the only one whose a little lost at the impending global catastrophe, thought it was postponed till October.

4. lowprices says:

“Impending global catastrophe”? Oh god, what awful thing is happening now? Haven’t we had our yearly quota of awful things yet?

5. JayG says:

Course i read that, hardly means the world’s going to end. Market’s go up and down all the time, it ain’t exactly the Japan earthquake.

• TheApologist says:

I really, really hope you’re right, and this is just market fluctuation and not the slow process of nation-states-going-bust-the-way-the-banks-did-except-this- time-there’s-nobody-left-to-bail-us-out.

Still, video games!

• Redcoat-Mic says:

A global financial collapse isn’t just the market “going up and down” for fuck sake, nations could be rent apart, the Euro and the Dollar is already on a precarious edge and probably can’t handle yet another recession.

When money fails… Well apparently a lot of things depend on money. Who knew?

• Berzee says:

But…video games.

• TheApologist says:

@redcoat “…nations rent apart…’

I was trying to break the bad news gently.

Oh, and video games!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Krugman sounds fairly optimistic, especially for him.

Also, football. Proper football! Bundesliga. And beer. Tasty beer. Happy, happy weekend.

6. TheApologist says:

The impending global catastrophe isn’t so much impending as quietly already having happened and happening. The tenses are awkward for such a drawn out event.

Anyway, I’ll be supplementing my videogames with some company and unhealthy amounts of alcohol this weekend.

7. Sonny B says:

I liked Dibellia’s watch, I think another mod worth pointing out would be Elsweyr the Deserts of Anequina it has Kahjiit Palace’s elephants and again towns etc and all that jazz!
    (Here http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023 ) Oblivion mods have given me yearrrs of entertainment!

• Duck Puncher says:

Would I be able to have Elsweyr and Dibellia’s Watch loaded at the same time?

Edit: What horrible spelling I have.

• cjlr says:

They occupy different parts of the world, so presumably, yes.

• Sonny B says:

Both different locations outside of Cyrodill (one takes a boat Dibellia’s watch and the other you have to walk west? of layawin or something so yeah as Cjlr said, should be compatible.

• 4026 says:

Oh, wow, these are actually extensions to the pre-existing Oblivion world? Man, I assumed they were TCs like Nehrim. If they simply extend what’s already there (and are consequently inter-compatible), then that’s properly sweet.

I always wanted the expansion packs to Oblivion to just fill in the rest of Tamriel one province at a time. But hey, if Bethesda won’t oblige, it looks like the modding community will step up to the plate.

Of course, I’m guessing these aren’t necessarily lore-friendly…?

8. Teddy Leach says:

WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE, etc.

9. BwenGun says:

Ignoring all the Angry Internet Men wailing about the end of the world, or not as is the case, I have to say that this mod is not a good thing.

I say this not because I hate mods, modders or the entire ethos of the modding community. But because I only have a finite amount of time, and it feels like once a year I get dragged back into Oblivion and the twelve hours required to download, install and troubleshoot all the myriad mods that over the years have rendered vanilla Oblivion into something that is at best obsolete and is at worst downright repugnant.

Mostly what I want is someone kind and smart enough to take all the big mods (graphics overhauls, levelling mods, new city layouts/open cities etc.) and just compile it all into an .exe so I can just run it once ignore all the faffing about with load orders and incompatible doo-hickies and then just play the game.

• mejoff says:

Every time someone has tried that it’s been a total failure, for one thing people want different mod loads, for another, getting permission from modders is not easy, especially as most mods are either by people who have left the scene, or people who are still working on the mod and don’t want their current or last build to be arbitrarily declared the definitive version and stuck in the pack that all the new users will resort to, and for another, there are many conflicting and contradictory mods, even among the big names.

Also the Morrowind one was a total clusterfuck because, funnily enough, it’s almost impossible to configure ‘all the mods’ so they will just run on anyone’s PC.

• oceanclub says:

The best thing to do is to take your favourite mods and convert them into OMOD versions (if an OMOD version does not already exist) that are loadable with the Oblivion Mod Manager, then keep a backup of them. If you have to do then do a reinstall, it makes it a lot easier. Since most mods by this stage are at their final version, it’s safe to say that if you make an OMOD of one, you won’t have to do that again.

P.

10. megalomania says:

The thing about Nehrim is that once you get over the “OMG I can’t believe this mod is so huge” feeling (which admittedly takes a good half dozen hours) and start looking at it like any other game it’s actually an uninspired, very German, and basically boring RPG. It’s like Risen with the polish of Mount&Blade.

11. Marshall Stele says:

I’ve played several of the Fallout series.

I can survive any sort of impending Oblivion

• Gundrea says:

Sorry but we repossessed your Fallout games due to a bank error.

Byt the time we realised the mistake the company responsible had been declared bankrupt and its assets sold. We tried to get you a refund but the bank suffered a hostile takeover by pirates.

12. Stuart Walton says:

Gah, it requires Shivering Isles. I don’t have that expansion on the PC version right now. :(

• Hidden_7 says:

Now would be a good time to point out that Oblivion GOTY edition, including the Shivering Isles is ten dollars on Steam right now.

• Stuart Walton says:

And for an extra pound, Morrowind GOTY too. I knew this, but it means buying both for the third time. I have Oblivion on 360 with most addons, as well as the vanilla version on PC. I also have GOTY versions of Morrowind on both Xbox and PC.

Having Steam versions would be nice though…

Comment on this story