Rawr: Telltale Show Jurassic Park Action

By Jim Rossignol on August 31st, 2011 at 3:57 pm.

I tell you, the dinosaurs died out because they spent too much on videogames, and not enough on dino-NASA.
If Alec’s preview of the upcoming dinosaur adventure from Telltale intrigued you, then it’s possible you’ll want to look at the trailer below, which features a number of the exciting dino-based moments from the game. Yeah, and there’s quite a lot of that T-Rex roar. Cheer up, T-Rex, it’s not like everyone makes jokes about your tiny arms.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Xerian says:

Oh, yummy. Am looking forward to this one ;)
    (I’m also kind of tempted to say “First!” But… Mm. Nah)

2. CaspianRoach says:

The screenshot above should have a glowing “X” button on it, or an icon of wiggling a gamepad stick.

• chabuhi says:

I lol’d

Indigo Prophecy did me in as far as QTE goes. I don’t want to ever play another game with so many QTEs ever again. To be fair, I shouldn’t write off JP until we’ve a better idea, but I’m not encouraged. Shame too, I was really looking forward to some hot human-on-dino action.

• suibhne says:

I bet you can find what you’re looking for somewhere on deviantART.

3. Hakkesshu says:

Looks a lot better than the last time they showed it. Pretty impressive!

4. Sunjammer says:

I hope this game is wall to wall death scenes.

5. Zaboomafoozarg says:

… clever girl.

6. abigbat says:

Heavy Rain with Dinosaurs.

INTO IT.

7. ProfessorBluepad says:

Anybody else thinking the character models are fugly? Or is it just me?

8. feda says:

NOVEMBER 15
    COMING TO A PLATFORM NEAR YOU
    “QUICK TIME EVENTS 7″*

*Now with dinosaurs!

• StranaMente says:

My eyes are twitching just to think of it.
      All those QTE, one by another. Having to replay the same stupid scene ’cause of a stupid prompt went bad.
      *shudders*
      By the way, is it me or there’s a deficency of ALT text in the images these days?

• Alevice says:

I thought Apple discontinued QuickTime Events.

9. Drake Sigar says:

No, no it can’t be. Was that the voice of… Rosh Penin?! He’ll try and get me killed in the tutorial level again!

10. Nova says:

Cheer up, T-Rex, it’s not like everyone makes jokes about your tiny arms.

11. TheGameSquid says:

I’d say that the T-Rex roar is probably the second best movie-roar of all time. The absolute best would of course be the shark roar from that Jaws sequel.

12. Kaira- says:

Seems rather nice. Also, got a serious Dino Crisis-vibe from that wounded survivor holding her arm.

13. LGM says:

I know the gaming press has been saying that Telltale is “stepping outside the Sam and Max box” so to speak, with this Jurassic Park game, However, IMO, they haven’t really done anything here. The game appears to be nothing but cut scenes and I’m assuming quicktime events. The only game to ever get QTE’s correct was the Shenmue series, and there was a whole lot more to those games than just QTE’s.

After the horrendously disappointing Back to the Future games (great story, great voice acting, HORRIBLE GAMEPLAY) I am extremely skeptical of anything this company produces.

Waiting for some real gameplay videos.

14. Carra says:

Too bad Crichton is no longer alive to cash in on its success.

15. Alevice says:

Rape at 00:45??

16. Spliter says:

Looks pretty cool (well.. except for the human characters looking quite dated), but there’s been only one Jurassic Park game for me and that’s “The Lost World” one. IMHO a Jurassic park game is not a Jurassic park game unless I can play as a dino.

17. elnalter says:

why are the graphics so bad?

18. Zorak says:

Where’s the feathers Telltale? Just because the old JP had bad facts doesn’t mean you need to be inaccurate. The current scientific consensus is that all members of order Therapoda (including the Rex and Raptors) were feathered.

DEAL WITH IT

• Eclipse says:

that’s bullshit, t-rex was too big to have functional feathers. Raptors are ok but T-Rex is far from being a beliveable theory, stand alone a fact

• amishmonster says:

I’m pretty sure they haven’t reached anything like a consensus on therapods outside Dromaeosauridae having feathers, and larger feathered therapods remain very contentious (though possible). Though “functional” feathers doesn’t mean much…no one thinks they could fly, but they still may have played a role in mating displays or temperature regulation.

JP still hasn’t corrected Dilophosaurs being a quarter of their actual size and lacking evidence for venom in any dinos, so at this point I just roll with it and know that Deinonychus is better anyway.

• soldant says:

@Zorak: Yeah I’m going to call citation needed on that one.

• amishmonster says:

Also, possible feathers aside, I wouldn’t expect them to change something as iconic as how the JP dinos look.

• Zorak says:

Most scientific paleontology journals with paleontology articles kind of have that consensus. We’ve found fossils associated with almost all theropods. That’s including the primitive forebears that “established” the clade, including species pre-coelurosaurs. This essentially means that, at least to some degree, all theropods had feathers.

You have to bear in mind that feathers aren’t just a feature of flight. They are modified scales with benefits for warm-blooded predators like the theropods in their need for proper insulation and protection. This is why they developed in early theropods even before anything like the ornithischians evolved. It just ended up that they had the additional benefit that ended up allowing dinosaurs to evolve towards flight in the form of the birds.

I could quote journals but I doubt it’d accomplish much. Hell, I’m pretty sure you can find some very good citations on the Wikipedia therapoda article if you’re curious.

If proto-Tyrannosaurus clearly has feathers, and we know all of its relatives have feathers, it’s a pretty safe bet that Mr. T-Rex was wagging his tail feathers as much as the rest of his theropod brethren. Don’t let nostaliga cloud your judgment.

• amishmonster says:

I guess things hadn’t moved so far along when I last checked in on the topic; I wasn’t aware of evidence for larger theropods having feathers. I’m perfectly willing to accept that there is such evidence, I just hadn’t heard of any.

19. soldant says:

EDIT: Dear Soldant, please learn to check that you clicked reply before posting. Kind regards, Soldant.

20. stinkypickle says:

So, no backing up into Samuel L. Jackson’s severed arm? Disappointment.

Comment on this story