Overbooked: No More Room In Hell Imminent

By Andrew Smee on October 28th, 2011 at 3:05 pm.

When I said we should redecorate the walls, this wasn't what I had in mind, dear.

Say, do you remember No More Room In Hell? It was one of the first zombie source mods announced after Half Life 2′s release, way back in 2004. Cancelled twice, it still shambles on. Tomorrow Edit: actually, 31st October – finally sees the release of the re-imagined original concept. In development for three years, this new version is going to be an 8 player co-op survival shooter. 8 player co-op! That’s twice as many as Left 4 Dead. That means it’s going to be twice as good. That’s how it works, you know.

A meaty release trailer lurks, ravenous, in the shadows below.

How about that leaning backwards shambling pose the zombies are fond of, eh? Brr. There also seems to be a little zombie girl running around at 1:59, and that means my innate fear of small children pretty much guarantees that I’ll never play this. Shame, because I always wanted to see American Psycho’s Patrick Bateman and The Big Lebowski’s John Goodman teaming up to fight zombies.

There’s a fairly strong focus on realism on show, with one feature of the gunplay being that your ammo count is hidden from the HUD until you hold down the reload key. This will prompt your character to pull out the magazine of your current weapon and check how many bullets are left in the clip, which then makes your remaining ammo count appear briefly on the screen. I hope stuff like that will lend just enough complication to the proceedings to trip up panicking players and make fighting the horde a frightening prospect indeed, since a team of 8 gunslingers would seem to lessen the threat somewhat.

There’s more information available on the ModDB page and the official website, which has a cute FEMA leaflet mocked up that calmly explains how to prepare for impending doom.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Shooop says:

Walter Sobchak is in this game.

Sold.

2. jonfitt says:

Looks pretty interesting. The animation system would have benefited from it being a L4D mod over a HL2 mod though I think. Everything’s gone a bit marionette.

• JimmyJazz says:

I think since this was announced in 2004… and left 4 dead came out a good four years later.
      At that point I believe they’d have been so deep in that if they switched we wouldn’t be seeing the release date right now.

Annnd that’s my daily shooting my mouth off on the internet, since i don’t know crap about the development history of this game.

• Dragon Master says:

Is it just me or there is a little bit of lag, between the bullet collision and the reaction/death of the zombies?

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Left 8 Dead.

4. sneetch says:

No More Room In Hell? Well, they better refund my booking deposit!

This looks like it could be a bit of a laugh: coop survival with some friends is a great way to spend Halloween.

5. Real Horrorshow says:

Holy shit, a zombie game!

6. JayeRandom says:

I see a zombified Walter Sobchak at 1:25. So if you get bit, you join the zombie team?

7. Zanpa says:

Slow zombies, infection if you are bitten (and you turn against your friends, so they have to put you down before you turn into a zombie), players with low health, no flashlight on the weapons, dark maps. This is truly a zombie game.

• Memph says:

Indeedy! There may be a literal landslide of zombie games of late, with ‘oh no moar zombies’ chiming from the echoey rafters of the internet, when they’re really just pasted in baddies that could have been anything else. This sounds more like zombies done properly, or at least a decent stride towards mechanics that actually make the zombies zombies.

/adds to want list

• Synesthesia says:

i love how theyve learned a few things from red orchestra, the gunplay looks quite tripwire-y, and the bullet count thing is perfect. Its functional, and its cool. Remember the shot at Ghost in the shell where the brainwashed guy checks the ammo left in his uzi with high velocity rounds? That looked cool. I want to do that in a game.

8. woodsey says:

“which has a cute FEMA leaflet mocked up”

After playing Deus Ex and Human Revolution so much recently I really can’t think of FEMA as actually being real.

9. JackDandy says:

SHOMER FUCKING SHABBATH

10. MuscleHorse says:

Pity Zombie Master was left by the wayside. Think Left 4 Dead with a Dungeon Master.

• Stupoider says:

Zombie Master quenches my dark-humour quota.

So many tears were shed laughing at the antics on the boat map.

11. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Reminds me of Brain Bread (for HL1), only more grisly. Which seems all-in-all like a good thing.

12. deadly.by.design says:

Speaking of HL2 mods announced long ago… Whatever happened to They Hunger: Lost Souls?

Did Neil Manke disappear off the face of the planet or what?

• BlitzThose says:

I heard he popped his clogs, not sure if theres any truth to that rumour or not

13. ScubaMonster says:

Looks pretty cool, but I still prefer the sandbox / defense style play of Killing Floor to a campaign. I clocked in waaaayyy more time on KF than I did L4D2.

14. Unaco says:

Releasing tomorrow? Saturday? Obviously without Walter… what with it being the Shabbat and all.

Does look a bit dated, graphically… and animations seem somewhat awkward.

15. Bodylotion says:

W8 For Dead

16. Moonracer says:

I followed the NMRIH progress for way to long and gave up. This is quite a surprise, and it doesn’t look too bad. It will be interesting to see how close this comes to the original plans for the mod.

17. Skabooga says:

I was thinking about giving Left 4 Dead a try, but with this coming out, maybe I’ll try this instead, while it still has that new novelty about it. I like my zombies slow.

18. Pork Hat says:

So is every playable character someone from a movie? Who else is in it?

19. Slayback says:

For all the people flaming about the animations. They are only placeholders. Me and a other Animator are working on new ones.

• Davie says:

Good to know, but seeing as this is RPS rather than ModDB, you probably don’t have to go on the defensive. Actual flaming is rare here. :)

20. Tunips says:

That screenshot reminds of the Budapest mission in Hitman.

21. trigonometryhappy says:

*edit* Ah reply fail.

While I’m here…you get dental?

22. trigonometryhappy says:

Saw this for the first time earlier today on Moddb and was really impressed. Especially since I’ve been looking for another zombies-done-right game other than Zombie Panic Source (read. there is none)

While being great, ZPS is dying at the hands of 12 year olds who only want to play on shoddy, unfinished custom maps, which are incredible unfair to anyone playing zombie. zps_ultimatehumanfortresswithamillionrevolvers_Alpha_0.2.3 24/7 is not my idea of fun as human or zombie.

So yeah, needless to say I’ll be playing the heck out of this while its still nice and vanilla-y.

23. Olivaw says:

I refuse to believe this is actually coming out, and in addition I refuse to believe it will be any good whatsoever.

24. zhchgg says:

top the game top the items for gamethat there can help everybody play the game so easy,I hope everybody will like them very much,welcome to http://url7.me/kVh4

25. Ergates_Antius says:

Oh My God! I computer game with zombies in it – what a genius idea.

Why has nobody thought of this before? I demand answers!

26. Madlukelcm says:

Now this looks like fun.

Can’t we have a werewolf infested Earth game or something though, too many zombies!

27. flem says:

Looks pretty interesting, great idea, zombie is very cool!
    femme russe