Indie Royale’s Difficult Second Bundle Is On

By John Walker on November 10th, 2011 at 4:03 pm.

Um.

The second Indie Royale bundle has this second gone live. You’ll remember the first one from Adam telling you all about it. It’s the excitingly confusing system where the price goes up over time, but people paying more than that price cause it to go down. I think. Whatever it is, it works, and tens of thousands of people bought the first one, getting a splendid bargain. So what’s in the second collection?

Why, it’s only Red Redemption’s Fate Of The World, Charlie’s Games’ Scoregasm, Size Five Games’ Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen Please!, and Nifflas’ NightSky. Individually those games would have cost you £25. You could be paying an awful lot less than that. Or maybe you’ll choose to pay an awful lot more, to make it cheaper for others? I don’t know you – there’s literally no way I can tell who is reading this, nor how profligate you are. The previous bundle never went over £4, to give you an idea of the bargain you could be getting here. Or offering to others.

So, well, want them?

, , , , , .

1. Juan Carlo says:

They seem to be getting hammered and their site is down. Maybe the “pay less the earlier you buy” scheme isn’t such a great idea as it means everyone will try to access it at once.

• Teddy Leach says:

I have to pay a whole 2p more.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

would work, if they announced it the way the humble bundle does. (“Hey, it’s here!”)

With this countdown, there were 4k people online at the moment it started.

• siegarettes says:

I was super excited bout this one. Payed $5 bucks as with the previous. I’m excited to simply get and support the bundle, not some much to get them super cheap (probably buy a few more copies for friends).

I’ve finally got through to my bundle but the traffic is once again murdering the Steam key allocation.

EDIT: In hindsight the countdown wasn’t such a great idea I agree. Built up more hype, but they sure don’t have the resources to handle the traffic.

• cptgone says:

i tried to log in ASAP but the site went down. after a while, i made it in, tried to buy, site went down. had to go do stuff, and now the price is too high for my taste (cause i only want 1 of these games, as i already own Fate of the World)
      :shrug:

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

noo, nooooo, don’t post about it yet, the site’s getting hammered, and i haven’t gotten hold of one yet!!!

3. Premium User Badge phlebas says:

Hmm. Any info on the DRM status?

• Teddy Leach says:

Direct download, Steam, Desura, where applicable. As usual.

• danthat says:

Don’t know about the others, but there’s no DRM whatsoever on BTDT:SE & TGP. :)

• Premium User Badge phlebas says:

Bought.

• AbsoluteDestiny says:

Fate of the World’s DRM is a cd-key whose use is logged on a server if you have an internet connection but plays anyway if you don’t (on steam it’s steam’s DRM)

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Indie Royale has the same DRM-free mindset as the Hundle. All the games are DRM free and can be installed as many times as you want, with no strap-on DRM, as i recall.

• Saldek says:

Strap-on DRM sounds more like a weapon from Saints Row The Third. But, what does the RM stand for? ‘Royale Master’, perhaps?

4. Flukie says:

Your gonna break the site even more guys!

Why they don’t do completely random releases rather than timed releases like Humble do I have no idea.

5. pakoito says:

50k dollars in 10 minutes. Colour me impressed.

I won’t buy this one either, tho.

• ComradePenguin says:

Not certain but I think they may not have reset the counter from the previous bundle so it’s a cumulative total for both. Sadly can’t check as the website is down again.

6. Avish says:

Managed to buy it.
    Now I can’t reach the redeeming page.

7. Pod42 says:

Not buying due to the chan reference when the timer ended.
    Yep I’m that shallow.

8. fuggles says:

This the first bundle (Humble or royale) that I’m going to miss. None of the games really grabs me and there isn’t the charity hook to soothe my concscience as I throw money at games I’m clearly never going to play. TOO MANY GAMES!

• mongpong says:

I played the demo of Scoregasm the other day and it was uber fun! Had a weird feeling it was going to be in the Indie Royal or Humble Bundle release…yay for me.

• Jahandar says:

yeah, same here, I have all the bundles, but this one is pretty weak. Time Gentlemen Please/Ben there Dan that is the best, but its been given away free in other places before. What remains is a generic arcade thing, a generic limbo-looking puzzle thing, and what looks like some sensationalized global warming game.

9. J. says:

Good heavens. Managed to reach the checkout bit twice now, but timed out both times. Now I’ll have to pay dozens of pennies more. Bankruptcy! :(

10. Kdansky says:

Already at 40k sold? Does that include the first bundle?

Edit: They fixed it. It’s now ~4000 and counting.

As for the title: Definitely a pun on “difficult second album”, and not related to the difficulty of the games. Which is a shame, really. I would have loved four really hard and good games. And I already own half of these.

• Mirqy says:

Fate of the world is fairly tough. I was playing last night and killed a couple of billion people (I was trying to keep them alive). Also I didn’t save the world. Or the polar bear.

• Saldek says:

Sounds like a rough night, Mirqy. If it’s any comfort, when you’re trying to save the world, it’s usually best to go all in. If it does go wrong, you don’t really want too many people left to start playing the blame game.

(Edited a typo)

• Mirqy says:

Good point. Should have unleashed the gene plagues.

• ScorpionWasp says:

I was looking forward to this bundle thinking we were getting a bunch of Nintendo-Hard old school titles. Pretty disappointing that’s not what was meant.

Anyway, I certainly don’t want to give any money to that fear-mongering, sensationalist, tree hugging game that appears to think the Earth is a static entity and humans have way more influence than they do.

11. InternetBatman says:

I’m kind of wondering at the choice in games, especially considering the name. I’d kind of like games of similar genres to be bundled together since I have no desire whatsoever for two of them. At least the Voxeltron bundle has two twinstick shooters and two platformers.

• Juan Carlo says:

And I don’t see “Ben There Dan That” as being particularly hard. It’s pretty moderate as adventure games go, so that one seems a bit out of place.

• Teddy Leach says:

Alternatively, it could be interpreted more as a “difficult second album”.

• danthat says:

Yeah, I think it’s just a play on the famous phrase “the difficult second album”. I don’t know, but I don’t think game difficulty came into it anywhere.

• Zyrocz says:

It’s obviously called “difficult bundle” cause it’s so fucking difficult to buy.

• unless says:

Perhaps the misinterpretation owes to the fact that that’s not a famous phrase outside the U.K. (or at least, it certainly isn’t one in the U.S., and every reference I could find to it is from the U.K. press).

• chalriesgames says:

For Scoregasm, there should be no DRM except on the Steam version.

Cheers
      Charlie

12. MadMatty says:

seeing if i cant pick it up for Fate of the World alone- also Nifflas games were allright…i remember playing Knytt.

I always wanna´d rule the damn place!

13. mongpong says:

The site is down!

14. Zarunil says:

“Royale Not Found”. :(

15. airtekh says:

Bah, the site’s getting battered at the moment. I’ll come back later and get it then.

I already own BTDT and TGP from this bundle, both of which are hilariously good, but NightSky looks like my sort of thing so I’m getting it for that.

16. Vaughn says:

Looks like somebody needs Amazon Cloud hosting :)

17. Archonsod says:

Already got Fate of the World, and that’s the only one I’m remotely interested in.

18. Just Endless says:

Well, there’s nothing in this one that makes it an instant-buy for me (Both of Gemini Rue, and Sanctum were in the first). Comments on the quality of these games, anyone who’s played them? Nightsky looks like something I might like, and maybe Scoregasm. I haven’t the time currently for point and click adventures (though I don’t know how long they are), and Fate of the World I don’t particularly expect to love, strategy games aren’t really my thing.

That said, I still bought it at 9:05

• Waltorious says:

NightSky is fantastic, but I found that replaying it in “hard mode” was a bit too frustrating. Just stick to the normal mode, which is great.

Both Ben There, Dan That and Time, Gentlemen, Please are very well done and hilarious.

I haven’t played the other two, but of course RPS really liked Fate of the World.

19. unless says:

BTDT and TGP are probably the funniest video games I’ve ever played. A few hours apiece, as I recall, and the puzzle solutions are well telegraphed.

edit: Gah, this was meant to be in reply to Just Endless, above.

20. Maldomel says:

I’ll buy it for Fate of the world, once the site will actually work. Their countdown policy sure has it’s drawbacks. On the other hands, it means the initiative is still a success.

21. Premium User Badge Carra says:

Load damn it, load.

22. mongpong says:

Managed to get in and buy. Woop. However, now I can’t download them as site is down again, Oh well, will download later and go and play some BF3 for a while :)

23. diamondmx says:

Got in and they now appear to be advertising as releasing the 2nd bundle in 3 hours?

• applecup says:

Yeah, the servers melted under the strain. They posted on their twitter they’re re-releasing the bundle later, and resetting the price.

• Maldomel says:

This explains that then. I thought the site got so much plundered with refreshes and buy that it went back in time or something.

• Dominic White says:

The entire Indie Royale/Desura/ModDB/IndieDB network is down – they’ve just collapsed entirely under a tsunami of attention. Fortunately, the bundle is rebooting soon.

24. Dr I am a Doctor says:

All the games look just horrible

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

What an incredibly measured and insightful review. Thank you!

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

8/10

• Stephen Roberts says:

The games look just horrible, but do they really look horrible?

But do they really look horrible?

Well… yeah I mean-

But do they really look horrible?

Yeah, they do. What’s your point?

Never stop questioning the nature of reality.

I know you’re questioning the nature of reality, but are you really questioning it?

Now you’re getting it.

I am getting it … but am I really getting it?

That’s enough now.

It is enough, but is it really enough?

• Thants says:

Either I’m crazy, or we both just watched the same episode of The Mighty Boosh.

25. Tams80 says:

At last I get bitten by “I’ve already bought one (or more) of the games in the bundle” bug. Admittedly it was already in a sale and it was cheap then so I can’t really complain.

26. Vexing Vision says:

I bought the bundle to get Fate of the World. Again. Because I’m too lazy to look up my alpha-preorder-key-thing.

27. Thiefsie says:

This is Eurogamer…

28. Ice-Fyre says:

Got it just for Fate of the World, seems great so far…

29. protospork says:

I’d had Fate of the World on my wish list for a couple months, knowing it’d probably end up in a bundle sometime. As for these other games, well… I own them now so I suppose I’ll give them a shot.

Edit: Oh wow, NightSky is fantastic. Shame about the lack of window size options though, because it’s also tiny.

• Premium User Badge Carra says:

Yeah, been wanting to buy fate of the world for months now. Finally got it.

30. Saarlaender39 says:

Hmm, I won`t buy this one.
    From the five Games included, I already own four and the fifth is not my cup of tea.
    Maybe the next one again.

31. Gotem says:

Is that Horace the Endless Bear holding the tray?

32. MD says:

Already own (and enjoyed greatly) the Zombie Cow games, so I’m treating this as a cheap copy of NightSky + a couple of bonus games. I’m a bit of a Nifflas fan, and I’ve been meaning to pick up NightSky one of these days, but I guess I wasn’t motivated enough to pay $10 or whatever the regular price is.

33. Skull says:

Scoregasm may be a generic arcade thing, but its an immensely fun generic arcade thing.

34. malkav11 says:

The first bundle was one game I had (with the promise of DLC for it that I didn’t have), one I really wanted (for more than the entire bundle would cost) and two I was mildly interested in. A no brainer for the one game alone, much less the rest.

This one is two games I already own, one game I don’t care about in the least, and one game I’m only vaguely interested in and can probably expect a $2.50 or so Steam sale on. Still, not every bundle’s a winner.

35. sonofsanta says:

I really think they should be kicking these off at at least £3, if not £4 – Fate of the World is not a cheap indie game (in any sense of the word), and nor was Sanctum, and it feels kinda wrong that so many people are getting them at such a steal, even if my guilt forces me to pay more (although the level of the stars is a bit silly, no?)

Saying that, there’s a wealth of contemporary evidence that low price high volume is much the better way to go at the moment, so what do I know.

<3 all these indie bundles though.

36. Zulthar says:

This will be the very first indie bundle I won’t buy. None of these games look very fun and I already own Time gentlemen, please!

37. Dawngreeter says:

Of the four games I’m only really interested in Fate of the World. Been interested for a while now and here the price is, obviously, right. Although Ben/Dan and Night Sky do look interesting.

38. elyaani says:

Fate of the World is fantastic, way better than it looks from screenshots and such. And Nightsky is brilliant as well.