Minecraft Mod Super Pirate Battle Royale Reshapes Ships

By Craig Pearson on March 9th, 2012 at 10:04 am.

Life on the open source seas
I really tried write like a pirate for the opening of this post, but I started sounding like Snoop Dogg. I’d start with “yarrs” but end up adding “-izzle” to the end of words. It got surreal. So instead of being incredibly clever, I’m just going to give it to you straight: this is a Minecraft map where two battleships set to each other across the briny deep, using those complicated bits of Redstone machinery that I never understand to fire TNT across the briny sea. Er, yarr? The ships are anchored opposite each other, and in a hilarious disregard for human safety they fire blocks of TNT using other blocks of TNT loaded into the cannons. Video below, fo’ shizzle.

The cinematic trailer below shows the fun you can have on a multiplayer server with the nautical nonsense, a battleship teeming with TNT tossers aiming and firing. What it doesn’t show is how to get that wonderful water, which I believe is this water shader. Everytime I’ve used that I end up with a black screen, so I hope it works for you.

There’s a more descriptive video, showing how to load, aim and fire, as well as some background as to how the damn cannons work. Redstone is still basically magic to me, which would make these guys wizard pirates. Think about that.

, , .

1. Deadly Habit says:

Now if only we could get fully functional sailable ships of this size…

2. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Arrrr yah serious?

3. Memphis-Ahn says:

Oh, it’s diSCo, dude is a redstone genius. Everyone check out his Bomberman map too.

4. applecado says:

I really think MC would have been/would be a better game if it had Gravity on all blocks – and weight in the water. Floating blocks in the air annoy me, and if we had the ability to create Rafts that could float, it just means more cool stuff would be possible.

You could dig under a rock and make it collapse when you take out the last block – or leave it there for the current stupid looking in-air structures..

oceanclub says:

“really think MC would have been/would be a better game if it had Gravity on all blocks – and weight in the water.”

I recently thought this as well; after all there is _some_ gravity in the game; it’s a bit odd to have it on some blocks and not others.

For those who like floating islands and the like, I thought of a solution: introduce a new mineable or craftable block type called Cavorite (nod to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Men_in_the_Moon). Then you could have the best of both.

P.

• NathanH says:

If you have gravity acting on every block as it does with sand and gravel, then everything would go wrong. Any cave would instantly collapse. Your house could not have a roof. Gravity for standard blocks would have to determine whether it should fall down given the support of things that it is attached to. This would be interesting in some ways, like making sure your house was sufficiently supported, but crazy annoying in other, like when your excavations just randomly destroy a hillside or something. I imagine it would also be a devil to implement.

• InternetBatman says:

Didn’t Notch experiment with this? I remember a while back he talked about trying to make sure buildings had supports, but not really liking what it did.

• PleasingFungus says:

Even Dwarf Fortress doesn’t model this, and Dwarf Fortress / Toady One is insane.

It’s just not remotely practical.

• jjcf89 says:

PleasingFungus, Actually I’m pretty sure Dwarf Fortress does do this. If you mine out everything under an area and its not attached on its sides then it will collapse. Killing any poor dwarf or beasty underneath it. This is how magma pistons work.

Edit: And depending on the size of the collapse it has been known to crash games.

6. Nerdcubed says:

Can I bring my ship to the battle? :D

• AppLeNaToR says:

If you bring yours, ill bring mine :P

• Resurgam says:

If you bring yours i’ll bring some of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnvoC1D7Kl4
      I built a few of those (including the carrier (Ark Royal)) and tested out some TNT cannons in mock up turrets on creative but it ruined the aesthetics of the turrets cramming a whole cannon in there :)

7. Shadowcat says:

Craig: it sounds like you wanted to Rap like a pirate.

8. Master_of_None says:

In which I become interested in Minecraft

Chaz says:

But I don’t want be a pirate!

10. jon_hill987 says:

Nice, but no AirBuccaneers HD.

11. Bfox says:

Reminds me of that Garrys Mod gamemode, had a sailable destructible/sinkable boat, was a tun of fun with lots of players…. when it worked;