Kicking, Stabbing & Burning The Habit: Diablo III’s Monk

By Adam Smith on April 17th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

kaPOW of silence

Who’d be a monk, eh? Years of silent contemplation, the occasional bit of herb gardening, no hanky-panky whatsoever and when a demonic invasion comes along, you’re expected to punch the blighters in the face. Thankfully those years of silent contemplation provide all kinds of uncanny abilities and make a monk’s fists and feet deadlier than the most bastardly of bastard swords. Or maybe it’s not the contemplation at all; maybe they’ve been growing ‘supplements’ in those herb gardens. Whatever the case, I reckon this is my class of choice when Diablo III arrives next month, holy warrior that I am. This video shows me in action.

The strangest thing about all of this isn’t the man punching monsters off a cliff, it’s the fact that a Blizzard trailer ends with a release date.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

Another one of these “Morgan Freeman impersonator reads from the Sears catalogue” trailers.

2. Kamen Rider says:

I plan on playing a Monk when I get D3. Always been a fan of resorting back to fists when there are so many superior alternatives available. Cause I’m a rebel and stuff.

Also it just hit me that I’m going to be playing 4 ARPGs by the end of the year (If Grim Dawn gets released by then). Is this gonna be enough? I gotta get some more under my belt.

3. Quatlo says:

Probably the most boring class design for me, I hate the wicked way he attacks. But hey, I’m the D3 sceptic here.

4. Syra says:

Sigh Blizzard. All the years and all the teasing. My hyperbole has been sapped away. Too many delays and pushbacks— OH MY GOD MONK LOOKS SO COOL I CANT WAIT!

5. JToTheDog says:

Male Chauvinism. Where are the Battle Nuns?

6. bigtoeohno says:

“when a demonic invasion comes along”… You
    must whip it. Sorry just how I read it.

7. Discopanda says:

I saw “Kick” and thought Kickstarter. “OH GREAT ANOTHER ONE!” But then I saw it was Diablo 3 and I couldn’t even muster up any kind of response at all.

8. BruceFnLee says:

It’s nice to see Wave of Light. It’s a very interesting ability – one of the most interesting in the game. It has a huge spirit cost (100), no cooldown and is a large PBAoE. With no cooldown and such high spirit cost it has many uses for a monk. One could use it as a primary spirit spender or use it as a means of healing with the monk’s passives. The lack of cooldown has so much utility.

9. NathanH says:

I have hated Monks as classes in pretty much every game they weasel their way into.

10. Wisq says:

Oh, Diablo 3. Why must you delay the release of Torchlight 2 until (at least) mid-June? ;)

11. Tridae says:

I played some Diablo 2 the other day. . . bored me to death. So I’m very sceptical about Diablo 3, any news on whether there will be a demo?

• Azradesh says:

I’m sure there’ll be something like the Starcraft 2 trial version.

• f1x says:

Probably hack’n'slash/dungeon-loot games aint your thing then

• chackosan says:

If Starcraft 2 is anything to go by, Blizzard are not going to be messing around with the core formula that made D2 addictive for many. So I’d guess it’s pretty unlikely that you’re going to like this one.

• bonjovi says:

I just gt into beta. Seems like I’ve only got a limited version of it. 13 is max level and you get to see only 1 boss. about 3h to kill it and all mobs on the way to it (quicker if you skip some).

During the game I once got invited to a party (by what I assume was someone with full beta access) and I got informed that I cannot join the party because I only have a Starter edition.

So my educated guess is there will be demo. limited to 13 lvls and one big boss. and they shall cal it “the starter edition” :-)

now impressions (if anyone is interested):
      I was very skeptical about D3, loving it to bits so far. It’s mindless hack and slash with a good atmosphere, where I will farm same boss for ages to get the best loot :D

maxed out (lv13) 3 classes and working on last two. Content is insanely repetitive and by that I mean going through the same boss multiple times does not get boring as fast as I imagined. public games are cool as well, just for added twist, since I have no actual reason to join them.

12. Freud says:

Looking at videos, it seems to me that monk has the most annoying resource management. You have to generate spirit through attacks and it seems like a very slow process compared to other classes. The other classes seems to have much less of grinding spirit/mana/rage/whatever to be able to use the fun stuff involved.

• sinister agent says:

I don’t see how. Surely it’s just merrily pummelling people and occasionally firing off a superpower when your monk battery is charged. No different to any melee character with a few spells, really.

• BruceFnLee says:

Monk seems to have a higher number of abilities that generate spirit going past primary attacks. I also believe that spirit doesn’t degenerate. There’s even a passive that increases spirit over time. Furthermore it appears that holy damage cannot be resisted like fire, lightning, arcane and such.

• RandomGameR says:

They’re pretty fun to play in the beta, mostly because as BruceFnLee says, your spirit doesn’t degenerate outside of combat (as it does with Barbarian’s fury). That, combined with one attack that’s effectively a teleport-kick made them a lot of fun for me…

But that said, something about watching them in videos is really boring looking. I have no idea why, but I agree that this video doesn’t make them look all that fun to play.

As an aside, the Barbarian video showed off a lot of new enemies and locations and even possibly a boss… but this video didn’t really seem to give much extra info away. Oh wells.

13. Bhazor says:

“Who’d be a monk, eh? Years of silent contemplation, the occasional bit of herb gardening, no hanky-panky whatsoever”

Hey sometimes they get to invent genetics.

14. Bhazor says:

“Who’d be a monk, eh? Years of silent contemplation, the occasional bit of herb gardening, no hanky-panky whatsoever and when a demonic invasion comes along, you’re expected to punch the blighters in the face.”

Sometimes they also get to invent genetics.

15. Brise Bonbons says:

Does anyone still think this sort of Kung Fu cliche is still cool or impressive? I mean, I enjoy old school Hong Kong cinema for what it is (i.e. hilarious), but… Given the Grimdark of Diablo, I’d expect something more in the vein of a mo-hawked Russian MMA brawler. Hell, I got the impression many of the Chinese disciplines have been “re-discovering” substantial amounts of grappling in their histories – in response to the rise of BJJ and wrestling. Lord knows Cung Le is proof that it’s always been there, and effective.

Maybe I just want to see more demons tossed via Shuai Jiao throws.

Comment on this story