DIY FPS: You Could’ve Made This ShootMania Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on May 23rd, 2012 at 9:17 pm.

Dear Esther 2: When Seagulls Cry... Blood - coming to only the most extreme retailers this fall.

Well, allegedly. I mean, it opens with “This video has been created using only in game tools,” so – once Shootmania Storm releases later this year – you’ll have your canvas. Of course, I suppose you’ll also need an eye for cinematography, a hand for level design, and an ear for music that makes people think “Is this dubstep? Is it going to become dubstep? No? OK, phew.” I also love the somber, oddly Dear-Esther-esque opening… that’s almost immediately interrupted by lasers. I will hang it in a museum and call it “Videogames.” All that said, it is pretty impressive-looking, and if the toolset’s anywhere near as robust as TrackMania, this one has a long life of firearm-based life-ending ahead of it. Exercise your creative individuality by constructing the same path as everyone else past the break to see the full trailer.

Shootmania Storm’s set to launch at the end of 2012. That’s handy, too, because that means we can just build all the games that have been Walker Principled into 2013 ourselves. I feel like I can probably turn BioShock Infinite around in a few days. Anyone want to take  Aliens: Colonial Marines? How about XCOM? And hey, Prey 2′s always an option. It just, er, may not end well for you.

, .

1. Premium User Badge mrwonko says:

The headline reminded me of the upcoming 7 day fps… Up until the “Shootmania trailer” part, anyway.

2. Godwhacker says:

Future paintball in Corsica- what’s not to love?

Well, apart from the use of yet more fucking dubstep.

• PoLLeNSKi says:

This really isn’t dubstep…it’s drum’n'bass

• loshon says:

Amen. Entirely different drum line and groove patterns, as well as distinct synthesis. Only those very unfamiliar with EDM would call this dubstep.

• ZIGS says:

Same shit, different smell

• Eukatheude says:

HURR BECAUSE REAL MUSIC IS MADE WITH REAL INSTRUMENTS DURR

• mnnzcxivn says:

Hope the tools are flexible enough to make an Ender’s Game map.

• Nick says:

nah, dubstep is just shit and boring, nothing to do with it being electronic.

• dsi1 says:

These fucking spam bots, are they even bots now?

• Eukatheude says:

Yeah, i’ve never seen spambots as clever as RPS’.

• Boffin says:

The bots seem to be copying parts of older comments and putting them closer to the top. Like this one has the exact same wording as a comment a few hours before it. Which is kind of clever and impressive, but still super annoying.

• sianma41 says:

Everyone’s interpretation of music is different (just look at categories on itunes for an example) but I think we can agree that it is kinda dubstep-ish if you get what I mean

• Suva says:

It is sort of drum and bass, but with heavy dubstep influences. It has a distinctive drop and half time rhythm in parts. But nowadays everything is dubstep influenced, from pop music to heavy metal.

• CaspianRoach says:

More like Laser tag on drugs.

• Net_Bastard says:

It’s drum n’ bass. You’re one of those assholes that calls every single thing with a keyboard in it “dubstep” aren’t you?

• Premium User Badge Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

It’s an easy mistake really. I MAKE electronic music; actually listen to The Crystal Method once in a while, and I still thought it was dubstep.

• Phasma Felis says:

Ah, yes, RPS’ weird obsession with dubstep (and anything that vaguely resembles dubstep).

• manveruppd says:

I thought it was decrying metal that we were supposed to be obsessed with here? Or was that last year’s trend? I’m so confused! :(

On another note, this looks refreshingly fast-paced, like Quake III with Tron costumes. In beautiful lush green maps with ancient ruins in them. How did they KNOW to combine all the things I love in a single video?

PS. Dude below me is a spammer

• mncbxhio says:

Hi guys got my cell phone booster in wolvesfleet.com. Absolutely love it.
          For everyone wanna get a cell phone booster but do’nt wanna pay retail price. Here you go.

Take up this special offer of $ 298 (save $ 100) in the next 30 days and we’ll also throw in the wolvesfleet.com for FREE (value $ 100).

Here we go: http://fishurl.ru/2jmb

• tyrsius says:

I really don’t understand the aversion to dubstep. Games are what started my love of electronic music, and dubstep is a brilliant electronic genre (as is Drum N Bass).

The song is awesome.

• Zerrick says:

For those that are interested: the song is “Play For Real” from “The Crystal Method”.

• lurkalisk says:

People just like to complain about anything that doesn’t fit perfectly with their tastes.

Personally, I don’t like dubstep at all, but I’m grateful. The territory it annexed was formerly occupied (mostly) by rap and crummy techno.

• Tams80 says:

It actually does look like Corsica! I though playing paintball there would be fun; now I’ll get to find out.

Damn the wub as well. The music wasn’t that bad until it kicked in.

3. kikito says:

I liked it until the woot woot woot started.

• Gasmask Hero says:

I got the woot woot woot build up and kept waiting for the money shot where the wub wub wub would kick in and spray dubstep all over my speakers.

Now I just feel unfulfilled and tense. I’m going to get a coffee and get in a mood. Nothing worse than crappy aural sex.

• Monkey says:

Was thinking where is the wub wub? Ah there we go

4. westyfield says:

Having grown up playing FPS games with hitscan weapons (Medal of Honour, Call of Duty), this looks like an absolute bloody nightmare.

But also incredibly fun.

• Dominic White says:

Hitscan weapons are just a matter of clicking on a dude and voila, you win. Slow projectiles add mindgames, vectoring and range considerations. Much more videogamey, but much more satisfying to nail a shot.

Nice to hear some old-school drum n’ bass. Gonna have to listen to some Pendulum to keep the high going!

• xavdeman says:

Battlefield 3 uses a projectile based approach instead of instant hitscan, too. Most noticeably when sniping from afar. So it’s not true that all manshoots use hitscan. That said look at 2:23, that laser hits the target when red pulls the trigger. That gun is going to be so overpowered in a slow-projectile game.

• CaspianRoach says:

The rail gun, yes. I’ll tell you about the rail gun.

The rail gun is given to you only on certain platforms. But rather than picking a gun up and cycling through your arms to a different weapon, your weapon automatically changes from rocket to rail gun as soon as you lay a foot on these special platforms. They have a kind of metallic, shiny look to them, so you’ll know when you’re standing on one. Technically your only gun is a Barrett-like hand cannon, so think of it as changing modes when you come into contact with these platforms.

The rail gun itself is an instantaneous weapon, like a sniper’s bullet. One-hit kill. It travels instantly across the map but uses all your firepower bar in one go, which also means it takes longer to reload. This forces you to change tactics. It’s no longer so much about timing (where exactly will my enemy be in one second?) Now, it’s all about precision (where is he now? THERE. SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT). If you miss, you’re likely to have to do a little strafey dance while your enemy unloads at you. It still only takes two hits with the basic rocket to die, so your wee dance had better be sublime. I’m talking Riverdance levels of bullet-dodging here.

There’s another type of surface too, made of wooden planks, which changes your mode of fire to ‘arrows’ – arching ammunition that fires surprisingly rapidly but which causes you to rethink your aim and timing yet again. Will there be more? Dunno.

• Dominic White says:

I really dig the idea that you only get a hitscan railgun by standing on certain special defensive platforms. It means that once you learn the map, you can immediately tell who is going to be using what weapon and where, and know which towers or platforms are line-of-sight deathtraps. Should be less Quake style bunnyhopping at a thousand miles an hour with an instagib railgun.

• MD says:

When was the last time you played Quake, Dominic?

• Kanakotka says:

Replying to MD; That would be absolutely never. He’s probably just seen one or two matches of Quake played.

• The First Door says:

Also, lots of shooters have a mix of hit scan/slow projectile weapons. Like Quake 3′s Railgun/Rocket launcher or Unreal Tournament’s Shock Rifle Primary/Secondary.

• Kanakotka says:

That is complete nonsense. You really haven’t played good hitscan games, have you? Such as Quake 1&2 and early Unreal Tournaments, as well as Quake 3 and the more recent TF2.

• bear912 says:

Welcome to the realm of airshots! 8)

5. Qazi says:

That was a lot of blue at the end. Am I meant to infer that we can have 50 vs 50 team games?

6. The First Door says:

I’ve been really liking Nadeo’s modern trailers, ever since the TrackMania: Canyon ones. It’s nice to see people still making unashamedly ‘gamey’ games.

Anyway, that trailer made the part of me which used to obsess about lines of sight and perfect jumping in Quake 3 very happy indeed. It’s just a shame that part is so old and rusted now, as I suspect it’ll hurt to get back into that type of game.

• Tams80 says:

The Trackmania: Canyon trailer was great and this is pretty good too.

Shame about the wub (I don’t care it’s dubstep or not, it’s still wub) though.

7. Skofnung says:

Can we stop referring to all electronic music as “dubstep”? It’s really irritating when people have knee jerk reactions hating something that isn’t even there.

• Premium User Badge RaveTurned says:

Music Classification for Game Trailers: If it has keyboards, it’s Dubstep. If it has guitars, it’s Metal. If it has neither it’s Orchestral (rare).

No other music types are found in game trailers. If you think they are, you’re probably having a delusional episode. Try to stay calm and seek medical advice as soon as the voices quieten down.

• Kanakotka says:

The rule; If it has a bassdrop, it’s not drum and bass. It’s either wobstep or hardstep, and this doesn’t belong into the latter category.

Anyone who claims this is DnB, and DnB alone is outright wrong, sorry.

• Delusibeta says:

This is a DnB remix with a Dubstep drop. That said, I question you saying that no DnB has “bass drops” is inaccurate. For example, Dark Rain by Current Value: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WURSHMot-vY

• shaydeeadi says:

Wow, I thought the name for Drum & Bass that got half timified was called Drumstep. Which is still stupid since it is still Drum & Bass, which itself has utilised half time/140bpm middle 8s on occasion since a long time ago.

Such a shame the turds float and this is what they use though.

8. bear912 says:

The airshots made me smile. That’s all that really matters, isn’t it?

9. Net_Bastard says:

After being thoroughly disappointed by Brick-Force, I can’t wait for this.

Also, can we stop referring to every single piece of electronic music as “dubstep” yet? Can you guys even listen to one note on a keyboard without flipping shit and going “BLEHHHH FUCK THIS SKRILLSHIT FUCKING DUBSTEP KILL YOURSELF!”

• Jables says:

Well, alright. It’s not dubstep. It’s something else comparable in shittiness and similar enough that many people dislike it just as much as they do dubstep. There.

Does that make you feel better?

Why do people feel personally insulted when somebody doesn’t enjoy their particular style of music/game/film? I’m not saying YOU are shitty and sound like what a hangover feels like. I’m saying dubstep and whatever bastard children/siblings/parents that genre has spawned/been spawned by is. I don’t know you. You don’t know me. You feel like vengeance? Then write rant on a band I like. Of course, I won’t take it personally, so it might not be very worthy of your time.

Imagine a world where I said “I don’t really care for cakes, why must there be so many cakes in games nowadays?” and people would feel personally insulted, not only that I don’t like cake but that I infact bunch it together with Astrocake and Deathcake, which, while both containing the same ingredients, have ever so small differences that you’re required to know before you may have an opinion of it.

• Kanakotka says:

It was an okay drum and bass song, and then it had to make the drop and go into the wob wob zone, and there’s no return from there, the song is ruined. I will not go into questioning why exactly do you care if people dislike a horrid genre of music, since the previous person already did that.

A dubstep flavored drop in an otherwise decent song is the equivalent of a lead guitarist of a famous rockband suddenly breaking out a flute and doing a horrible flute solo in the middle of a song. Imagine Megadeth’s Symphony of destruction with such a spectacle.

Then again, perhaps a closer example would be imagining Darude’s Sandstorm with suddenly having a 1 minute segment of the nerve-grating music from the feature film “The sound of music” being sampled in it completely unaltered.

Also; Skrillex in despite how rubbish music he makes, doesn’t do dubstep. His main genre is hardstep. Though i have to salute the guy, he really showed us Grammy prizes do not mean anything, as he snagged three.

10. Dreforian says:

First I thought: This is what it would look like if denizens of Tron escaped into the real world. Then I saw the jumping and shooting and falling through eldritch passages and thought of Unreal Tournaments. I tend to have the most fun in multiplayer games that give everyone the same tools (leave character progression to single player thanks!) so I’m risking some hope on this.

11. Jackablade says:

I had an odd feeling of something being not quite right throughout this clip and it took me a while to put my finger on why exactly. People are stuck to the ground. They’re not flying through the air (or at least not for extended periods) or sliding across the ground at high speed.

I seriously think Tribes may have ruined FPS games for me. It’s going to take a lot of adjustment to get back to walking around like some kind of neanderthal again.

All that said, Shootmania is looking pretty amazing.

12. Hatsworth says:

While I’m worried about their innovations and streamlining, it’s really nice to see a new arena shooter that isn’t bogged down with progression slash F2P business model. I do fear they’ll struggle to achieve a big enough playerbase because of that and not being on Steam though.

13. Stevostin says:

I think the art direction is incredibly smart. Valve level kind of smart. Bravo Nadeo.

14. Turbobutts says:

First I wanted to complain about the obvious contradiction between common stealth practises and LEDs all over the suits, but then they started shooting at each other and I fell in love. Any word on the price?

• Creaturemagic says:

I’m fairly positive its $20 like the Trackmania 2 that was released last year

15. Jayson82 says:

For some reason while watching that video i kept thinking about roller blades like in jet set radio odd could be the way they move but it would be a cool addition.

Why aren’t there more fps roller blade games? lol

16. JohnnyMaverik says:

That looks incredible.

Hope the tools are flexible enough to make an Ender’s Game map. Doubt it but that’s the first thing I thought of when considering what kind of map I might want to create with it.

17. pilouuuu says:

This reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2004, which is good.

18. Roshin says:

Death to false woot woot woot.

19. Kanakotka says:

I’ve actually been waiting for good footage on this game for a while, and i have to say, it looks like something that an FPS has failed to look like in the last 8 or so years… i believe the word in question is “fun”.

That said, the trailer would be so much better with an actual drum and bass track, instead of a horribly raped wobwobstep version of Crystal Method’s “Play for real”

I can’t wait ’till some driving game uses this track in their trailer for instance; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0prFicLgXxw&fmt=18 (An actual DnB song, unlike the one in this trailer.)

20. Breadline says:

Anyone else think the PEGI 12 announcer guy sounds confused yet optimistic about the rating?

21. byteCrunch says:

Running and jumping in an FPS, what is this madness?

22. ajewers says:

I actually really like the look of this. It’s almost as if they are trying to make it fun… Imagine that…

23. Vexing Vision says:

Wait wait wait, why is there a UbiSoft logo in the trailer?

Didn’t Nadeo split off from Ubi with Trackmania 2?

• Delusibeta says:

No they didn’t. They didn’t use UbiDRM, which is where I suspect where the confusion lies, but Nadeo itself is 100% owned by Ubisoft.