Fear Too? DARK Teaser Goes Boo

By John Walker on May 24th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

I'm really not convinced that hoodies are the update on the hooded cloak vampires should have opted for.

Described I can only assume erroneously as an “action-RPG”, DARK is seemingly actually a first-person RPG, in a horror setting. Focusing on stealth, you’ll be playing as a vampire fighting against the GeoForge Corporation, using all your vampiric specialities to uncover their evil. You can see a somewhat predictable trailer below.

The game premise sounds promising – in fact, it sounds like a game you’d hear about in 2002, back when people used to have ideas. And you can turn into a puff of smoke. None of which is usefully portrayed in what might as well be any trailer for any horror game ever. You’ll never guess what’s happened to his buddy.

Hanged! Can you believe it?! I was certain he was fine, but then he wasn’t fine, and he was up a bit higher than expected! My poor goose bumps.

It’s from Realmforge, who have previously brought us the Dungeon Keeper-inspired Dungeons games last year, which bodes well. Perhaps release a trailer that even hints at the whole vampire thing, though.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ResonanceCascade says:

Whoa, wait, where the hell did this come from? I just got a big blip on the radar.

2. Andrigaar says:

Fancy bright HUD: check
    Turn off HUD to reveal super-dark scenery: check:
    Kill off red shirt: check
    Loud noise shock: check
    Flicker main light source: check

• ResonanceCascade says:

Like John said, the trailer is super generic. It’s the non-trailery parts that got my attention.

• Solidstate89 says:

You don’t play as the soldiers though, so your comments about the HUD are rather pointless.

Phinor says:

When I first heard about this game, it sounded great on paper. I just don’t like any part of it in motion. That FOV combined with cel shading / whatever you want to call it – neither has ever done anything good for any game. In fact, both have ruined couple of games. Still, a good idea can carry games through various technical issues so remains to be seen how the game turns out.

Anyway, how was Dungeons?

nasKo says:

I think Cell-Shading worked really well on XIII

• adot says:

Ummm, Borderlands?

Phinor says:

Aye, Borderlands is a good example. Looked good before they changed the art style. I know some people like the way it looks now, though, but I really don’t.

Hidden_7 says:

Though you’re not wrong, since obviously it’s subjective, you’d have to admit that thinking that Borderlands art-style change did anything other than massively improve its look puts you in the minority.

Why are we even talking about cell-shading in relation to this game? Where are people seeing cell shading? To me this looks fairly naturalistic, with maybe some bare concessions to slight stylistic effects that I only really notice when I squint and because other people have mentioned that it’s there.

I’m just not seeing it.

• D-e-f- says:

Look at the gun and the hand, check the black outlining. It’s clearly cel-shaded.
            It’s weird though, that you play the vampire in 3rd person (according to the press release) but the trailer shows a first person soldier gameplay. huh?

4. Emeraude says:

“Credentials required” on that link…

5. wodin says:

I’d like a stealthy vampire game.

6. LionsPhil says:

That is a hilariously bad trailer. The sheer half-arsedness of the voice acting is spectacular.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

How about half-arsedness of of absolutely everything? Let me count the ways:
      Cliché HUD design? Check
      Generic dialogue? Check
      SPARKLING SHINY VAMPIRE? Check (seriously, that thing is actually worse than a Twilight vampire-look at the last five frames or so)
      Main character designed by someone who really loves a certain Left 4 Dead character? Check
      White Wolf-ripoff “supernatural ecoterrorism” synopsis? Check
      The core concept is quite promising, however, the way they are presenting it right now does not instill much confidence. Seriously, they could have relabeled it as a Colonial Marines trailer and no-one would have noticed.

7. Iskariot says:

For me this looks like a definite must have game.
    I have been waiting forever, since my beloved Bloodlines game, for a new vampire game.
    I hope this is really successful and that it will cause vampire action/RPG’s to finally take off.
    The gaming industry has left us vampire fans out in the cold for years now.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling this will be a decent game ruined for some of us by expectations of something along the lines of Bloodlines.

• Iskariot says:

I hope not.
        Bloodlines was far from perfect, but it is the only immersive rpg/action game we can play and develop a vampire character in. This at least will give us more of that. And it looks promising.
        I know this will be an entirely different game. but you are right it is good to be cautious.

8. Orange Required says:

Carder? Carder?

Carder?

• Ernesto says:

Always these generic soldier names…. Be creative dammit! I liked Grimsdottir from Splinter Cell. But that name probably is as common as Smith in Iceland ;)

• Turkey says:

When they’re creative they come up with names like Miles Kilo, though.

• Milos says:

Sgt Cage Punk. He doesn’t play by the rules, but dammit he’s a good soldier.

• Felixader says:

Press Y to carter or something?

9. woodsey says:

As the great Captain Picard once said: “WTF is this shit?!” Why the hell does a CG trailer have a FOV of about 3 degrees?

10. Carter says:

So I’m dead?

11. nimzy says:

I don’t think Pentex likes competitors.

12. Kal says:

“I was certain he was fine, but then he wasn’t fine, and he was up a bit higher than expected! My poor goose bumps.”

John Walker is the best writer on any site ever. FACT.

13. Salt says:

Forgive me if I’m pointing out the obvious, but I think the trailer is from the point of view of one of the GeoForge people about to get eaten by the player character. Which does make it very slightly less generic, and makes sense of why all the screenshots have a 3rd person view of Moody the Vampire.

14. DeathPig says:

This is all Twilight’s fault. Until it released, vampires were treated the way they are meant to be treated, hanged on a corpse with silver stuck up their arse. But now, vampires are the good guys. They’re all emotional, and apparently, immune to sunlight…..Not impressed by the trailer.

• MSJ says:

I think you might want to look at Dracula, written by Bram Stoker, if you want to see a vampire walk around in daylight. Vampires have been doing it forever, sometimes without harm, sometimes they are weakened, sometimes they can at least stand under the sun for a several minutes before bursting into flames, sometimes they even get stronger. Depends on which region of the world or who’s writing.

And need I remind you that Ann Rice has been writing vampires long before Twilight exists? “Good vampires” is a trope that has been around for a long time. Buffy had two vampires as allies and lovers, and Angel not only has his own show but Spike joined him in it. Not to mention one of the best RPGs, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, allow you to play a vampire that kills only those he have to kill. Actually, you know where I first saw a ‘good vampire’? Tales from The Crypt.

• Iskariot says:

MSJ is right. The struggle of the vampire against its own predatory nature is as old as vampire mythology. There are many different kinds of vampires in mythology, some are monstrous, some are beautiful. Some have a human past, some are an alternate evolutionary line. Some are supernatural, some have biological explanations, or a mixture thereof. And some are pure evil and some are good.

So Twilight is not to blame in this respect.
      I myself do despise Twilight though, because of its mushy never-ending love story of the worst pulp kind.
      To me Twilight is not about vampires, but about sparkly underwear models who fall in love with teenage girls so much that they want to drink their blood. The vampire story is just an arbitrary vehicle for telling this awful, juvenile mushy lovestory.

To each his own, I suppose, but I personally deplore the fact that this Twilight garbage has become so influential.