An Eventful Ending: City Of Heroes

By Adam Smith on September 27th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

It’s a strange thing, bearing witness to the end of a world. When the final voices of Star Wars: Galaxies voices cried out and were suddenly silenced, I was oddly moved by the documentation of the event, even though I’d never played the game and am the only person on the internet who doesn’t have any particular feelings about Star Wars*. The end of City of Heroes may well create similar scenes, at once absurd and poignant, and Paragon have now shared a list of the LAST EVENTS IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. One of them is a Double XP event, which seems kind of like finally getting a gym membership just as the countdown to Armageddon begins. Full list of events and timings below.

Summer Blockbuster – October 5 – October 8
Double XP – October 18 – October 22
Halloween Event – October 26 – October 29
Winter Event – November 9 – November 12
Rikti Invasion – November 23 – November 30

Live Server Shutdown – November 30 12:00 AM PDT

The week-long Rikti invasion that shall usher in the final moments suggests there may actually be some sort of narrative closure. Even if there is, I expect there will mostly be dancing and mass gatherings. The FAQ of the end times has details of the closure. No new characters are allowed anymore, so if you haven’t played for a while and want to be there at the end, you’ll need to dig out old account details.

*if you are one of the tens of thousands of other people who doesn’t have any particular feelings about Star Wars, hello!

, , , .

1. Kestrel says:

Oh boy double XP!

That reminds me of Grandia II, where the last dungeon is filled with chests containing lots of useful gold to spend in stores you can no longer visit, because the game is about to end. And yet, every time, I have to collect all the gold I can. Because God will judge me poorly as a gamer if I don’t. Or something.

2. Kaje says:

Double XP?

That has to be a bit of a sick joke…surely?

Biscuitry says:

My immediate thought was that they wanted people up at higher levels for the endgame. Then I realised they could just set everyone to high levels anyway without fooling about with XP, and that justification sort of evaporated.

3. Universal Quitter says:

*I used to have feelings about star wars, but then they kept making them.

• FakeAssName says:

ditto

• regault says:

It’s not so much Star Wars, but I like space opera and don’t like Star Trek or Halo. So I’m stuck with Star Wars merch until someone gets around to making Honor Harrington action figures, Vorkosigan collectible glasses, or Dahak MicroMachines.

Kind of like how I buy Transformers to make up for the lack of real giant robot shows in the US.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Ditto with Trek. The SWEU has gotten quite terrible in recent years (read: everything after Thrawn is pure shit), though at least with that you can pick and choose the canon to your own liking. On the other hand, you can`t simply stay in canon while pretending that Enterprise, Voyager and all of the TNG films barring First Contact never happened.

4. Swabbleflange says:

Hmm… I guess that invasion triggers some kind of apocalyptic ending, but wouldn’t it be great if the narrative took the players to a decisive victory against the forces of evil, leaving their characters with the legacy of heroic final act.

5. Cam says:

Someone has to rescue City of Heroes! There has been WAY too much improvement and innovation over the years to just let it all fade into memory.

6. Suits says:

GiantBomb server end livestream please

7. Dowr says:

Hello to you too, Adam!

• Ross Angus says:

I like Star Wars, but I respect and admire Adam (and others) indifference. Keep the faith.

• spindaden says:

Would you call someone who is generally ambivalent about Star Wars Agswastic?

8. frank3n says:

The only MMO to give me alt-itis. The biggest travesty will be trying to pick one of them to be there at the very end.

9. ghoststalker194 says:

We’re heroes dammit, and I’ll be struck dead if I won’t defend this game till the very end!

Biscuitry says:

I have some particular feelings about Star Wars, and since you happened to mention it, I shall share them all in excruciating detail right here and now! [[insert 20,000 word diatribe on how everything is ruined forever, and how George Lucas is somehow both God and the Antichrist]]

Back on topic, this reminds me a little of the closing days of Tabula Rasa, how they made a big show of finishing the Big War that was the game’s story centrepiece. The fact that it was a loss for our side was a bold move, and I have to wonder if, finishing up with the “Invasion” as they are, the CoH plan to do something similar.

11. Cerebulon says:

No new characters? Damn, I actually wanted to play with the awesome character creator again before the end comes.
    Champions Online was similar, but had slightly less options and certainly less archetypes to mess around with.

• Geotic says:

@Cerebulon. I think it’s just poorly phrased. NCSoft have closed account creation, but you can still create characters on existing accounts.

12. Synesthesia says:

i don’t get why, since they’re already shutting down everything, release the server whatnots so players who want to can host them and make a smaller, but still existing community?

What profit is there to lose?

Wret says:

Theoretical Ghost Profit should they ever consider summoning it as a zombie in a decade or two, in order to lure in unsuspecting vets. Then the curious animals are mowed down with machine guns.

• Urthman says:

A free City of Heroes server would compete with whatever new MMO they want to release.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Profit from ppl that will go to another active MMO of theirs instead of playing on community run servers.

13. Arglebargle says:

There’s not going to be any real closure in the ending. The game began with invasions and will end with invasions, true. But due to the sudden, abrupt kill strike by NCSoft, there are no devs left there to fashion any real ending though. They are merely switching on and off some seasonal events.

Guess we should be happy they were willing to do that.

If they can’t negotiate a transfer of game/IP, the death knell will hit midnight of the 29th. Rikti invasions will probably bring down AP33 before its time as well.

14. Vexing Vision says:

Sadness. I mourn the loss of City of Heroes a lot more than I mourn the existence or non-existence of anything Star Wars.

And I haven’t played it in the past six years apart from the occasional rump.

15. anark10n says:

Aho – I mean, Hello there. Can’t help but feel you’d get more people to shout out if you asked them to say “Ahoy!” rather than a bland “hello.”

16. Baardago says:

Yeah, looks like there’s really no saving CoH/V. No matter how much people may try, no matter how much people may care. NCSoft doesn’t care – it never did.

There’s no saving the game.

17. XCrusherX says:

I remember how strange it was when the beta of World of Warcraft was ending. Although it was just the mark of a new beginning it also had a kind of “end of the world” touch to it. Can’t imagine how strange it must be to stay in a MMORPG until the very end and really experiencing the last minutes. Walking through old places you’ve visited daily, seeing empty taverns in which you once met your guild, maybe even real-life friends.

Just watched the linked videos from Star Wars Galaxies from this article, and I must say I can really relate to that feeling, although I always jumped off the ships before they started to collapse.

And the real reason I’m posting this: Thank you so much for introducing me to the beautiful track “Re: Stacks” by Bon Iver. Never would have heard it without this article.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

Watching closing down videos of SWG makes me sad panda.

I will be sure to be there for CoH’s end times!

18. Megazell says:

Annnnnnndddd still no base raids :(