Brand Theft Auto: Retro City Rampage Out Next Week

By Nathan Grayson on October 6th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

The trees have eyes. I think? I actually can't really tell exactly what's going on there.

True fact: Retro City Rampage has been in development since the late ’80s. I mean, look at it. To this day, no one knows exactly how it managed to pre-date many of the games it originally set out to parody, but you can’t argue with the sheer history that’s written in charming 8-bit graphics. It has, in other words, been quite a long wait since VBlank first took the wraps off Retro City Rampage. Next week, though, you’ll be able to tastefully array its files on your hard drive or maybe even play it if you’re into that kind of thing.

It’s officially careening into town on October 9th for the princely sum of $14.99. Steam and GOG will both stock its virtual gametape on their e-shelves, or you can head over to VBlank’s website for a standalone DRM-free version – in addition to a free Steam or GOG key. (Hint: the correct answer is to buy it from VBlank. Or the strange man on the corner who’s offering games and candy. Candy! The choice is obvious.)

For the uninitiated, RCR’s basically old-school Grand Theft Auto re-imagined with all sorts of winks and nods to classics from the 8-bit era. For example: “When it comes to enemies, weapons are only the beginning! Put on your boots and jump on their heads! Toss ‘em around to knock the rest down! Become truly unstoppable with awesome power-ups!” Apparently, the television, movies, and pop culture of the time are also in for a fond skewering, so prepare to have your brain’s nostalgia folds relentlessly probed.

And now – since I just found out about it today – here’s this bizarre piece of promo work for the game. It’s like an old TV commercial… only not. Because I’m pretty sure old TV commercials didn’t trigger my fight or flight response.

, .

1. SuperNashwanPower says:

@.@

2. Jimbo says:

LOOK AT HOW MANY POINTS YOU CAN GET!

3. ulix says:

Wow. I made a list a few minutes ago with games that I’m still interested in coming out this year, and this was one of them. Just wasn’t sure when it would come out, and if it would even make this year…

Hopefully it’ll actually be good :)

4. Toberoth says:

I loled at Nakatomi, Heavy Manufacturing Concern.

5. pakoito says:

IMPOSSIBURU!! This one was one of those eternal dev time games. Lots of them coming out this year.

• Felixader says:

Of course lots of them are coming out this year, what with this being earths and/or humanitys last year and all.
      You won’t be researched by visiting alien historians and archeologists for not bringing anything out. X-P

6. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Oh god. Maybe this or Hotline Miami (anyone else saw the streams they did yesterday?) finally has the chance to get me away from FTL. Torchlight 2 certainly didn’t manage…

7. kwyjibo says:

Stop releasing all the games at the same time.

Looking forward to this, but there’s no way I’m going to have time for this with Dishonored and Hotline Miami.

8. MOKKA says:

Wow, first Cortex Command and now this.

I was planning on buying Dishonered next week but I might pick something else instead. I’ve been waiting for Retro City Rampage to come out ever since I first heard of it a few years ago.

• Gnoupi says:

This year has seen the releases of: Guild Wars 2, Cortex Command, Retro City Rampage (ok, and Diablo 3, too).

If they announce HL3 by christmas, I’m officially moving to my “end of times” bunker.

• BAshment says:

Pahh Christmas?

There will be no Christmas when the mayans are through with us.

• Wulf says:

Except that the beginning of a new baktun signifies renewal, not destruction.

Not that I know anything about that, of course.

• BAshment says:

I have seen the discovery channel shows. They drop that nugget in at the end, after 45 mins of hyperbole.

• Turkey says:

I think you’ll have to settle for the baby jesus miracle that Black Mesa Source finally came out.

• Gnoupi says:

Indeed, forgot that one!

• remote says:

We also got Dark Souls on the PC, along with a number of other interesting ports, like Binary Domain and the much older Jet Set Radio. Pretty interesting year!

9. Butler says:

man the voice over was all wrong on that vid

10. MadTinkerer says:

Woo! Soon we can finally TASTE THE GRAPHICS!

11. Daryl says:

It’s about time. I can’t wait to get my hands on this. It looks like an absolute blast.

12. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I thought this was that Miami game. So there are two classic GTA-likes coming out? That’s cool, I guess. Hope one is good.

• SiHy_ says:

Yeah, I got it confused with Hotline Miami as well. I was really confused for a while there because the gameplay looked totally different. That would be because it’s a totally different game.

• SonicTitan says:

Seriously, don’t be such a cynical prick. Hotline Miami is a completely different game in concept and function, if not in form. You might want to actually research the games you casually flip a finger at before you do so.

• arccos says:

Wow! Where did that come from?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

haha didn’t mean to casually flip any fingers!
        Just saying (I suppose with cynical tones) that I was confused with the Miami game. Honestly I’d hope both of them are good, but I just used a different sentence :P

• The Random One says:

Retro City is a loving homage of the mechanical aspects of GTA, using them to explore other fascets of video game nostalgia.

Hotline Miami is a fierce deconstruction of the tonal aspects of GTA, using vicious, unforgiving gameplay to underline its more troubling characteristics.

They are as different as two games that can be properly called “GTA inspired” can be.

Also you can’t drive a car in Hotline Miami.

13. djbriandamage says:

Can anyone tell me whether the developer gets a bigger take of the profits if I buy from Steam or GOG? This looks really cool and I want the devs to be rewarded.

• Rev_Sudasana says:

I would think that buying it directly from their site would be best to maximize their cut, although I’m sure PayPal/Google/Amazon take a percentage too.

• djbriandamage says:

Bah, I didn’t read the article carefully enough. Yours would be the obvious answer. Thanks.

• Bishop says:

I seem to remember Steam is roughly 30% (depends dev to dev and you’re never allowed to tell anyone). GOG is probably the same, possibly abit better than Steam to be competitive. Paypal is something like 50c and 1%.

14. Tomatoboxer says:

What world do I live in where 15 dollars for Retro City Rampage is considered princely?

• SkittleDiddler says:

The same world where you can pick up GTA IV or SR The Third for a fiver.

15. SonicTitan says:

Tighten up those graphics!

I think the creepiest thing about this video is how the actors are in their mid thirties but still manage to affect being children.