Don’t Cry: DmC Definitely Coming To PC In January

By Nathan Grayson on December 14th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

If Dante ever poses in a way that could be considered practical or camera-friendly, that's when we'll know Capcom's truly lost sight of what the series is all about.

Oh we of little faith. When Capcom confirmed that a PC version of Ninja Theory’s DmC: Devil May Cry reboot was in the works, Jim was understandably skeptical about it taking the elevator up from hell around the same time as its console cousins. But Dante’s not like everyone else. He’s a rebel. He wears leather and makes snarky comments and gets branded a “sexual deviant” by news casters on a network named after a dinosaur. So naturally, his new game will come screaming onto PC whenever it damn well pleases. In this case, that’s next month. Hooray!

Granted, the PC version’s January 25th release date is set for an arbitrary ten days after consoles, but again: rebel. No conforming. Even when it doesn’t make any sense not to. Capcom’s also released system re-cry-erments, if you’re really worried that your machine can’t handle the stylistically gorgeous but technically reasonable hack ‘n’ slash ‘n’ shoot ‘n’ put-on-pants-in-slow-motion-er. Meanwhile, in the Best News column, we’ll be able to crank DmC up to 60+ frames per second. Cloud saves, leaderboards, and other basics of Steam functionality will also be part of the package.

As for the game itself, it looks pretty solid from where I’m standing. I definitely have a soft spot for the series’ completely unhinged demon-slaying antics too – though I wouldn’t label myself as much of a purist as some hair-color-obsessed disciples out there. Plus, I absolutely love Ninja Theory’s previous under-the-radar Serkis-du-Soleil hit Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, so I can’t wait to see how their knack uncanny-valley-leaping storytelling shows up here.

And hey, the combat looks surprisingly faithful to that of DMC’s Capcom-developed entries, so that’s promising. Dante’s chain, especially, has me thanking the combo-crafting heavens, as it gives me fond flashbacks to Devil May Cry 4’s devil bringer. Maybe it’s heresy, but I actually liked playing Nero in DMC 4 far more than Dante, so it’s good to see a central element of his combat style make a comeback.

At any rate, I’m supremely excited about this one. Devil May Cry’s dumb and fun and fast and ridiculous and riddled with awful one-liners. If I were a videogame, that’d pretty much be me. Only significantly less cool.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. John Mirra says:

FUCKYOUFACE

2. StingingVelvet says:

Porting this and not porting Dragon’s Dogma shows a startling lack of understanding of the PC platform.

• Hoaxfish says:

Especially after the whole Dark Souls thing (not that they’re that similar, but they’re not that different either)

• ShatteredAwe says:

Thank you. More RPGs, please.

• f1x says:

Well its a shame, I hope this is a sign of a change of the times tho

PC has missed quite a bunch of good games for stupid piracy or whatever the reasons, but not porting Halo reach or Halo 4 to the PC for example? its simply saying “I just dont want the extra money”

Same with Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, Gears of War, etc

• InternetBatman says:

There are rumors that RDR was such a mess that they weren’t sure if they could port it. Who knows if it’s true?

• StingingVelvet says:

At least with Halo I assume Microsoft sees keeping it exclusive as a way to sell Xbox machines. Porting this instead of DD just shows Capcom have no idea which genres are popular on the PC, which I call a fundamental lack of understanding.

• PancreaticDefect says:

You are absolutely right. Microsoft likes to release the first game in a franchise on PC and Xbox then make the sequels XBox exclusives to drum up console sales. They did it with Halo and Gears of War.

• f1x says:

Yes you are right,
          but that makes sense for only 6months or 1year, nobody is gonna buy an xbox because Halo:4 six months later but many would buy it for the PC

I dont know, overall I know its done to sell the Xbox but its still quite pointless

Lars Westergren says:

Got the fourth game on a Steam sale a year or two while back. The gameplay seemed complex and fun enough, but the over-the-top anime character design and dialogue (perky female in love with and gushing over cold aloof male) left me cold so I didn’t get into it, just played the tutorial level basically.

I like the new more realistic design of the main character. Any indications if the writing and characters will also be a bit more realistic, less “this emo teen guy is so awesomecool the bad guys explode by looking at him” JRPG stuff?

• yesterdayisawadeer says:

> less “this emo teen guy is so awesomecool the bad guys explode by looking at him” JRPG stuff
      I think you’re in for a surprise.

Lars Westergren says:

Doesn’t tell me much I’m afraid. Positive or negative surprise?

• apocraphyn says:

Depends whether you believe an ‘edgy’, uncouth teenager whose primary catchphrase appears to be “FUCK YOU!!” and has a personal vendetta against The Man is a step up from the over-the-top animé cliché.

It’s still “this emo teen guy is so awesomecool the bad guys explode by looking at him”, just packaged differently for a new target audience. (Ignoring the fact that the original Dante was never presented as an emo or a teen *cough cough*)

EDIT: Though Nero, the main character of 4, could very well fit the above description of “emo teen guy”. Oho.

• DigitalParadox says:

Well, let’s just say that new Dante will make Nero look like a fine upstanding gentleman of means.

• RandomEsa says:

The gameplay is rather tricky one. The new dmc will miss features like lock-on and the fps will be set for 30 on consoles ( major letdown from previous games) but it doesn’t seem be the problem on the pc version.

The new Dante is also a step down from the last one. He is a edgy “no-good street punk” who doesn’t respect the authority because they are the demons and his coolness is defined how unengaged he is with everything. At least he doesn’t smoke anymore and doesn’t look like the lead designer anymore.

Then again if the leaked plot is true I would actually play the game just to see how ridiculous it is.

• Inigo says:

Imagine “They Live” rewritten by someone who considers themselves the eternal nemesis of The Man because they “Liked” OWS on Facebook.

• RandomEsa says:

Or take something like a classic chinese story “Journey to the West” but replace the monkey with a grunty man and the monk with a big chested girl who is the love interest. I mean who would ever do such a thing?

• Inigo says:

Original Dante tries to be cool like a 45-year old tries to be cool by wearing a baseball cap backwards, using 1980’s slang, trying to snap his fingers like Ali G and unintentionally humiliates his son in front of all his friends.

Ninja Theory Dante tries to be cool like a 12 year old tries to be cool by writing Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction where his self-insert character wears all black, has a “dark and mysterious” past, uses guns and a katana, has a robotic arm, rides a spike-covered motorcycle (that, naturally, is faster than Sonic), swears all the time and all the female characters fall in love with him after he kills Robotnik by tearing out his heart with his mind because he’s also a psychic demon alien vampire from the future. And unintentionally humiliates his parents in front of all their friends.

• ShatteredAwe says:

“Less Of This JRPG stuff”
      If you don’t want any of this JRPG stuff, then don’t buy the JRPG. Simple. I doubt they’ll ever make it more western than this.

• DK says:

You kind of missed out on the actual main character if you only played the tutorial of Devil May Cry 4. Dante only starts being the player controlled character halfway through it – and the thing starts to really kick off. He’s stark contrast to the angsty delinquent Nero of the first half: Where Nero is trying to come off as cool and hip because he’s insecure, Dante doesn’t try to be cool – he just is. DmC 4’s Dante is probably the prime of his arc: He went from super Xtreme fun-haver in DmC3 to serious-time in DmC 1 to just-have-fun-with-the-situation in DmC 4.

Of course now they’re throwing it all away in the Reboot nobody wants, to make him into what-a-hipster-dev-thinks-a-Punk-looks-like emo.

• zaphod42 says:

It sounds like you want to play Devil May Cry 1, which was an absolutely fantastic game. It took itself pretty seriously, and was very gothic and dark and grim and morbid, and had great combat and action and all that. There’s a reason it spawned a series.

We don’t talk about DMC2.

DMC3 is the next best in the series, but DMC3 is also the most over the top of the series. Best controls though, best weapons and combos and enemies and everything. Holy crap DMC3 is such a fun game.

DMC4 was kinda so-so. It had better graphics, and that’s it. Otherwise it was really worse than 3 in every way, the story was pretty meh. The combat was pretty good though, felt just like 3.

The thing is that the developers who worked on 1 didn’t work on 2, so 2 sucked. Then they guys from 2 realized how bad they royally screwed the pooch, and went all in making 3 good. Then they cashed in on 4.

So now we’re switching again, to a new developer, and I think its going to be 2-2. They don’t understand what makes the series subtly great, they just get the obvious elements. 2 was an absolute disaster of a game for this very reason; I remember selling it back to gamestop like a week after I bought it, it was that bad. (And I pre-ordered)

The worst part is that its a prequel/spinoff/remake but it isn’t. Its just like the other games, but not. Its EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING if you’re a longtime fan of the series.

Like, imagine if there was a new Star Wars movie, and it had Han Solo, but he was a Rodian now. WTF? You can’t do that!

Dante used to be half human half demon, now he’s half human half angel because why the fuck not. He used to have white hair, now he’s a teenage emo angstyboy and he looks JUST like the lead developer of the new game, HMMMMM. Virgil used to be his evil demon brother, now the two of them are labeled terrorists for trying to save the United States from demons who use Television to control your mind…

It does not sound good.

Played the demo, the gameplay was pretty good, but there was a TON more platforming than normal, and that was unneccesary and frustrating, and the dialogue seemed lazily written. Literally one scene goes,

Demon, “Fuck you!”
      Dante, “Fuck you!”
      Demon “Fuuuuck yoooooooooooooooooou!”

We’ll see how it goes.

lurkalisk says:

I’m not sure I’m liking the ’90s style X-treme attitudez here*. Well, looks fun anyway, and I suppose I could get it cheap on a steam sale some day or something…

*EDIT: Scratch that, I’ve decided I do.

5. SubparFiddle says:

Eh, I felt like they took a crap on “Journey to the West” with Enslaved… As for this, I don’t quite see it reaching the pinnacle of excellence that is Bayonetta.

strangeloup says:

I was expecting to be disappointed with this, given that their previous games were the meh Heavenly Sword and the pretty-good-but-I-spent-most-of-my-time-eyeballing-the-half-naked-male-lead-rather-than-playing-it-properly Enslaved.

And then I played the demo on the 360 and it combined visual interestingness and a pretty sweet combat system with ridiculously over the top self-parody dialogue, and I thought “You know what, I could totally get on with this”. I figure I’ll go with the PC version because a) it’ll be shinier and b) I can play it with a controller anyway.

• maximiZe says:

Self-parody? I really, really don’t think so.

• subedii says:

Whatever works.

I mean I know that Resident Evil 4 was probably meant to be taking itself seriously too. But I’m happy to consider a game featuring giant bugs, ridiculous dialogue with a dash of abject melodrama, and a midget with a Napoleon complex as not taking itself all that seriously,

• LennyLeonardo says:

It is entirely possible to be both serious and intentionally corny/camp at the same time. Games can have levels too. I mean, not levels like stages… you know levels … shut up.

• Keasar says:

“Fuck you.”
      “Fuck you!”
      “FUCK YOUOOUGLARBHLGHH”

Yeah, “parody”.

strangeloup says:

Surely with stuff like that it’s got to be a piss-take. Right?

…right?

I mean, they couldn’t possibly expect people to take dialogue like that seriously, could they?

7. Keasar says:

Why do people still think that the problem with the new Dante is that he doesn’t have white hair? Sure, I am gonna miss that handsome white shine upon his skull but the real problem is quite simple: He is a fucking jerk.

DMC1, 3 and 4 Dante was a douche too, but he was a loveable douche. He was funny in how he acted, how he was self-aware of his awesomeness, his Shakespearish scene in DMC4 is still legendary:
    Or his innuendo riddled show-off with the Lucifer:

The new Dante is just a jerk that makes me hate him, not like him.

• JackDandy says:

Seconded

• Samarius says:

Shakespeare, eh?

• The Random One says:

Wow! A cutscene based on Shakespeare (meaning a skull is briefly visible and the location may possibly be a theatre) and a bunch of dick jokes! Surely that game is the acme of wittiness

8. Cheebahh says:

The new Dante looks like a high school musical reject.

I’d heard they butchered him, but never thought it’d be THAT different.

• ShatteredAwe says:

“High School Musical Reject”
      And I bet he’s voiced by Zack Efron.

9. Moni says:

Having played the demo on the consolebox, I can confirm the combat is good, really, really, really good.

It’s basically the same as Devil May Cry has always been, except, if you hold the left or right triggers, you instantly switch weapons. The result is you have infinitely longer combos as you switch between your three weapons.

• Keasar says:

In my experience, it isn’t. While you can do long combos, it doesn’t try to make you vary your combos like Devil May Cry did. Its like God of War, just use the same attack over and over again and you will achieve easily the highest rank as long as you don’t get hit. In real DMC, you had to use different styles and combos in order to get the highest rank.

10. Jamesworkshop says:

It’s pretty much a definite anytime anyone makes an unreal 3 engine game.

I like the tone change, jokes get less funny each time you retell them.

Never quite understood the emo comments, he’s a brash character, Emo’s are self-pitying whiners, whats emo about solving problems by throwing a car around?

If they gave him white hair they would have made this

• Feferuco says:

In the world of video games, emo means a guy that’s angry but has hair and isn’t super strong. Or any character that has a tragic moment and has hair.

11. LennyLeonardo says:

Completely unrelated, but the title reminds me of this wonderful thing:

Which reminds me of my emo youth, so may be related after all. Emuth.

(By the way, I realise that the new Dante is not really emo at all. He got out of bed. Sellout.)

12. JackDandy says:

I’ll pirate this shit just to spit at Crapcom’s face.

I hope it bombs.

13. Metalhead9806 says:

I’m supposed to be happy that we are getting this on PC?
    How many other games in the Capcom library are without PC versions?
    We’ve suffered with no Dragon’s Dogma, No Monster Hunter, No mega Man, No MvC3, Horrible ports and buying games like RE5 with capcom completely abandoning us by not releasing the console DLC…

It’s been proven that releasing a game on PC nets you at least 15-20% profit increase, I don’t understand why Capcom would completely overlook PC on the majority of its titles when porting a 360 copy of the game to PC takes maybe a month or two of development time.

I know this is bit of a rant but Capcom just rubs me the wrong way.

• PancreaticDefect says:

Mega Man X was a PC release. It even came with a PC gamepad in the box. And since this was in prehistoric times that gamepad used a serial port. I think I’m old…

14. ZIGS says:

Why does this takes 10 days to port to PC while RE6 takes months?

15. roryok says:

I actually saw the headline for this on my RSS reader and thought it was a DeLorean driving sim.

16. dawsow66 says:

YAY! Newest release from one of the most overrated game series ever is coming to my favorite gaming platform.
    Sigh…

17. Muzman says:

I am disappointed with the direction this site has taken and the kind of writers it has hired.
    It’s all entirely too “young”, and I think this post demonstrates that trend nicely toward the current, the recent, the hip, the flash in the pan.
    A place that loves the pun driven headline was given a game known in abbreviation as DMC and failed, Failed!, to put ‘Run’ in front of it. This is a travesty. Stop the rot, RPS. You need us senescent revenants and every nostalgic pun that goes begging is like the stabbing pain of an unexpected flight of stairs, some unscheduled bending or missing Midsummer Murders.

18. Sayori says:

How sweet, when we all are going to die next week…

19. adl8 says:

“though I wouldn’t label myself as much of a purist as some hair-color-obsessed disciples out there.”

Nope. Lost my respect there.

It has nothing to do with the hair. So many people have given actual reasons as to why the gameplay is dumbed down and the writing is complete garbage. The only people who blame it on the hair are the game’s defenders, who use it as a scapegoat to ignore all of the game’s other problems.

20. Mooglepies says:

Played the demo on the old 360. Love the art direction for the environments, I liked some of the writing (the tamer of Dante’s quips, without the SWEARFACE going on).

The rest of the writing is atrocious though, the enemy design seemed fairly poor (hard to tell from a demo how varied and interesting the enemies will be in the full game), and the boss was seriously just naff and uninteresting. They’ve also broken the scoring system compared with the other games in the series, and I don’t feel they’ve really paid much attention to balancing how interesting each weapon type is.

The combat was alright, but I think it’s definitely a step down from the really great freeform stuff that was in 3 and 4, and there’s now a real emphasis on aerial combat that I don’t find fun either. Also the decision to add enemies that can only be harmed by one weapon into the higher difficulties was a turnoff too; the point with DMC was that the combat system was incredibly open; limiting you to only certain attacks to harm certain enemies is a bad decision, I think, as was the downgrade to 30fps (the PC version will likely alleviate that last point to a degree).

I reckon it’ll be a decent action game, but I remain unconvinced that it’s going to be worthy of the DMC name at this stage. I might not pay full price for it, but I think it’ll be entertaining enough for a sub £20 purchase at least.

21. xenoss says:

This reboot is unneeded and unwanted. It will fail. Capcom now realizes what everyone already knew.

So they release it on PC.

Game flops.