Fiendishly Cryptic: 2000AD Teases Upcoming Game

By Richard Cobbett on January 29th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The Running Dead? Maybe just The Running Dead To Be.

“One man is utterly alone amidst the chaos of war,” warns the YouTube summary. “But there are worse things to fear than bombs and bullets here…” What could this mystery game be?

Clearly, it can only be one thing – CARDIO XTREME 1944, the new exercise game for REAL MEN. How fast can you run? HOW FAST CAN YOU RUN? Oh. Okay, that’s quite fast. But will it be fast enough? Possibly. Some people are good at running. Maybe you are too.

…or alternatively, it might be something to do with Fiends of the Eastern Front, about vampires in World War 2. Would at least make a change from all the bloody zombies.

“Debuting 14th February 2013, PC fans will soon get the chance to discover for themselves just what is in store for those brave enough to venture into the ‘Totraum’,” continues the teaser from Rebellion/2000AD, adding “Heil Gotterdammerung!” You can also head here to sign up for a spooky looking mailing list and to get first dibs on the gory details when it lands.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Snids says:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• alison_brie says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes $74 an hour on the computer. She has been fired for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $21668 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site… http://www.pcgames.com.qr.net/j62T

• pigchicken says:

Best Friend’s siter-in-law? Thats a fairly tenuous link friend, I’m disinclined to believe you.

• Grey Ganado says:

I too am surprised at the apparent lack of a single German speaking person on their entire developement team.

Gap Gen says:

I’m still waiting for an aliens in WWII game. I mean, I doubt I’ll ever read Turtledove’s books themselves, but the Wikipedia plot synopsis of his series was pretty entertaining.

• yurusei says:

Uhm, doesn’t the FPS version of XCOM qualify?

• mseifullah says:

Isn’t that almost the exact premise of the Resistance series of games for the PS3?

I haven’t played any of them, but I think the story goes that WWII never actually happens on the account of a world-wide alien invasion. So WWII is basically replaced by the invasion but you’re using still (sometimes fictional) WWII era (and alien) weaponry throughout the games.

The E3 presentations and trailers looked fun enough that If I had a PS3, I’d probably own it. I’m sure there are some Let’s Play videos floating around if you want to take a closer look though.

• Miresnare says:

Yup. An alien virus arrives on the Tunguska meteorite. By the time the 40’s roll around, pretty much all of Eastern Europe is infected by the Chimera.

They’re a pretty good series of games, the third being by far the best (looking and storywise). The first hasn’t aged brilliantly, but it’s still fun. Great art direction on all three through.

3. Brosepholis says:

For a moment I thought you said 3000AD, and I had a vision of another smarmy Derek Smart interview.

4. Snids says:

Hey, Richard doesn’t normally do this stuff. I hope they’re giving you proper money.

5. frightlever says:

Am I nuts or is KG doing something like Fiends of the Eastern Front later this year?

I never got the V.C.’s pr Bad Company game I always dreamed of, but I got over it.

Bluerps says:

I think it’s about nazi-zombies. Or nazi-vampires? Nazi-demons, maybe.
    Supernatural creatures in SS-uniforms that constantly use hilariously wrong german.

• Askeladd says:

It’s probably based on a 80s comic, so you can’t be to hard on them.
      At least they didn’t show me enough to judge them and it somehow reminds me of Killing Floor, which I love.

Cattle Farmer.

Bluerps says:

Oh, I didn’t mean to be hard on them. In fact, I love supernatural Nazis who use funny german words. Does anyone remember Das Ubersoldat?

• The Random One says:

Hey, look! A Nazi zombie! It’s a, er… Nazombie!

Corpekata says:

Given the developer and the logo is pretty similar to their Sniper game I’m going to wager on this being a slightly lamer development. As in, some sort of expansion for or spinoff of Sniper Elite, sort of like how Red Dead Redemption did their Undead Nightmare thing.

• f1x says:

Well, Undead Nightmare was so damn awesome, but I don’t think this is going to be anything near, one can hope tho

8. Vivian says:

oh god, not Bill Savage

oh, no. Not Bill Savage. Just some other very, very old stuff. 2000AD, we have now had a nice Dredd film (it was nice, I will space-biff anyone who says otherwise so super-hard), can we not now have a nice Dredd game? Where we go round judging people and generally being a hyper-fascist tool that happens to be in the right because everyone else is mutants?

• cwoac says:

Already been done. No, wait that was space marine. A rather large overlap on the two though.

Could make a lovely open world game. For certain meanings of lovely

Harlander says:

A Judge Dredd GTA Clone?

Or.. True Crime Mega-City One, where you play as Dirty Frank a nonspecific Wally Squad judge going undercover…

Yesssssss.

• Vivian says:

I would quite like a judge simulator, basically. You are a judge (maybe Dredd, maybe not), you’re in MC1, and for the most part (you could have Significant Events coming to the front eventually I guess) you drive around doing judge stuff. Dispatch calls as quests, megablocks as dungeons, ordinary perps as mini-quests/distractions.

• frightlever says:

I quite enjoyed Dredd vs Death, even though it became a bit too arcade shootery by the end. GTA: Mega City One (-a-like) would be brilliant, though two unsuccessful film attempts have killed that prospect stone dead. And yeah, I loved the recent film but it never ignited the collective consciousness.

Lumberjack_Man says:

Dirty Frank! Now that’s a game I’d play.

Harlander says:

Me too, but I can’t help but fear that every other level would be a hallucinatory nightmare worse than a cross between the dream levels from Max Payne and Psychonauts’ Meat Circus..

9. Westmark says:

The shadows tell me it’s gonna be zombies again.

10. westyfield says:

The discrepancy between the shot of a dude running down a country road and the sound of a dude running down a cobbled alley really bothers me.

Still, the zombie/vampire trend has largely passed me by, so I’m not as averse to this as some might be.

11. mondomau says:

Totally bemused by this, considering the glut of (more) original and interesting properties Rebellion has access to. Just off the top of my head:

Strontium Dog
    Rogue Trooper
    Dredd
    Bad Company
    Armitage
    ABC Warriors
    Nemesis the Warlock
    Zenith
    Nikolai Dante
    Slaine

Yes, I know Dredd & Rogue Trooper have both had games, but they’ve mostly been low-budget and unimaginative titles.

Mungrul says:

Eh?
      The most recent Rogue Trooper (as there was a Speccy RT game too history fans), was utterly fantastic.
      It did Gears of War, but better.
      And it was a great, if truncated, version of the Rogue Trooper story.

Hrrmph, I may very well have to dig it out and play it again.

phlebas says:

Hostile Waters owed a lot to Rogue Trooper, I thought, and that was ace.

Matchstick says:

Nikolai Dante would make an amazing hybrid 3rd Person Brawler/Turn Based Strategy game.

• frightlever says:

I’m hoping Prey 2, if it ever sees the light of day, will evoke Strontium Dog.

• DestructibleEnvironments says:

I really want a new Rogue Trooper game. :(

• Mrs Columbo says:

From the comic I won a copy of the Strontium Dog game for the Commodore 64 decades ago. It cost me nothing and yet was still massively overpriced. My childhood died at that moment.

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

Please let it not be slender man. Seriously. More done than a barbeque sausage on bikini atoll

• Splynter says:

I like that expression. I think I’m going to have to borrow it from you.

• Davie says:

Sigh…I remember, back in the foggy winter of 2009, when the Slender Man was new and terrifying. Now he’s just as cliched as zombies. ‘Tis a shame.

13. BreadBitten says:

Wolfenstein?

14. CobraLad says:

That looks so uninspired Im going to post equally original post.
    So…

WARFACE!!!

15. Arithon says:

My vote is for “Fiends of the Eastern Front” – done well, it could be awesome.

16. BigJonno says:

I just want to give them cookies and hugs for announcing a game just over a fortnight before the release date. It’s a breath of fresh air in this age of teasers of announcements of teasers for trailers of previews.

• Richard Cobbett says:

I’d expect an announcement, not the actual game.

• BigJonno says:

According to Eurogamer, they checked and it’s the actual release date.

• Snargelfargen says:

The way it’s phrased is awfully ambiguous: “Debuting 14th February 2013, PC fans will soon get the chance to discover for themselves just what is in store for those brave enough to venture into the ‘Totraum’,”

Will it be in stores????

17. Spritzwasser says:

This looks a lot like Deadlight.

18. Dances to Podcasts says:

I’m hoping for an Irish Rebellion setting. With Cthulhu.

19. BigJonno says:

Apparently it’s standalone, but Sniper Elite related.

“Update: Rebellion, the tease, has ended speculation and told me this new game relates “definitively” to Sniper Elite.

The clue was in the eagle logo, apparently. It’s a “perversion” of the Sniper Elite logo.

This secret new game has nothing to do with the upcoming Sniper Elite V2 DLC. “It’s part of something new and stand alone,” a Rebellion spokesperson said.”

Jackablade says:

Launching Tadpole before clicking on the video here and having the cheerful banjo music kick in over the top of army guy running along the road does rather change the tone of the clip.

21. mseifullah says:

All of that chromatic aberration is giving me a Unity Engine vibe. I say that because it seems likes a lot of the fancier Unity games add that effect to a very noticeable degree.

22. ShDynasty says:

Sniper of a Nazi Empire: Rebellion! That’s why they sued Stardock!

23. mariejanet657 says:

my co-worker’s half-sister makes $67/hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 5 months but last month her pay check was $16364 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more here http://www.bit90.com

24. dogsolitude_uk says:

2000AD? Strewth, what I’d pay for a decent Nemesis the Warlock or Slaine game….

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Strontium Dog for me.
      As a disaffected, going off the rails, youth I’d only stop to absorb Johnny Alpha. I related. That didn’t happen often back then.
      I would chew your leg of for a good SD game. STALKER without the interminable boring bits?
      (I like fondant fancies and kittens these days).

25. Chorltonwheelie says:

Hang on…hang on a cotton pickin’ minute… I meant Harlem Heroes!
    Come on?

• Mrs Columbo says:

You’d better be referring to the original one, you mutha! Not that abomination they trotted out in the early nineties. That was a major part of what killed 2000ad for me. I never went back.

26. sgtjoker says:

Looks like Twilight:2000. A pen&paper RPG about US GI’s stuck in post-nuclear war Poland.

phlebas says:

Totraum? They’re teasing Dead Space?