Infinite Excitements: Eye-Spy Thief IV Screenshots

By Alec Meer on March 5th, 2013 at 3:45 pm.

Sound the news-horn! Sound it from the highest mountains! Ready your loins! Thief is back.

Unconfirmed leak, yada yada, you know the drill. But, yes, this very much appears to be screenshots of Square-Enix’s rebooted Thief series and OHMIGOD THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING.

Update: now confirmed as real, called ‘Thief’, out on PC and next-gen consoleboxes in 2014.

It looks a lot like Dishonored, dunnit? But then Dishonored looked a lot like Thief, eh? This comes, lest we forget, from the team who did a pretty darn-tootin’ good job of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and now they now get a swing at another PC gaming classic, hopefully with the benefit of experience and hindsight. The godfather of stealth has returned at last: what stories will he tell?

The full, original, batch of screenshots are on GamesManiac (discovered, inevitably, by NeoGAF), but I’ve put a few here for your assessment until someone tells me not to. Click on ‘em for much larger versions, if you like.

Well! What about that then? If I’m honest I might have liked something a little more stylised, but it’s certainly moody, and I suppose that’s what we want from Garrett’s dark, grubby cityscapes. These images are tagged with stuff about ‘next-gen’ consoles, which is obviously all kinds of vague and unconfirmed, but if true hopefully means we’re in for a very pretty PC game rather than one that has to play nice with the last-generation of under-telly boxes.

But wait, there’s more!

Just ‘Thief’ then, do we think? I quite like that. Clean. To the point. Deadly.

Update! Aha! The industry’s default beneficiary of game reveal exclusives, GameStop’s in-store magazine Game Informer, has just gone live with news on its next cover, which is a game indeed called “Thief.” The game’s confirmed as for PC and PS4 so far, with the inveitable Xbox 720 or whatever it’s called likely in there too. They also give this summary:

Series hero Garrett returns to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City to steal any and everything that will make him richer. Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game’s levels.

There’s a video preview of of their planned coverage here too.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. pakoito says:

>batch of screenshots

“Bullshots”, using Internet linguae.

• Dervish says:

They’re like half bullshot, half concept art.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I think you have just got used to last generation graphics. This is built from the ground up to work on 2012 (e.g. the PS4) graphics hardware. The massive budgets of uber game companies just caught up with 6 years of graphics tech development – there’s no reason why it wouldn’t genuinely look that good.

• Runs With Foxes says:

You mean aside from the fact that games never look as good as the staged, PR-approved screenshots suggest, regardless of hardware?

• dmoe says:

Do you believe anything of what you just said?

• eclipse mattaru says:

As a matter of fact, I’d go even further and say that, even if those were indeed undoctored real-time rendered graphics (hah, hah), I’m still yawning at them.

Yeah, yeah, yeah: ZOMG those textures are so sharp and everything is so shiny and you can see the pores in the characters’ faces and what have you. So what? Me, I don’t care. I truly, honest-to-God can’t give a rat’s ass about this kind of visual style. And I seriously hope I’m not the only one. Here’s some advice for people who feel those strong urges to see hyper-realistic pictures: Go watch a movie. No game is going to beat that anytime soon.

If we ever expect to have our little hobby acknowledged as an artform, we really need to start thinking outside the fucking crate –and we need to start by getting rid of photorealism.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Lol so angry.
            To all the doubters, we shall see :)

• GepardenK says:

Several of these are in-game shots alright, just polished up photoshop style to look cleaner. Kinda like the pretty cover ladies and their shampoo

• dmoe says:

Basically, especially that first one. Unless it’s been confirmed to be just “concept art”.

2. MuscleHorse says:

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

• MuscleHorse says:

Furthermore, I look forward to people from Console Town declaring that it’s ripping off Dishonoured.

• Inigo says:

To be honest, the design of the helmets isn’t helping matters.

• Pony Canyon says:

Not to mention:

“the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant”

• SuperNashwanPower says:

It … actually DOES look like Dishonored. Bridge, prostitutes, masquerade masks. Not that I am complaining – there are far worse games it could rip off.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

So, “wearing a skirt” = “prostitute” to you, then? You must be great at parties.

• Jackablade says:

A skirt, perhaps not . The corset, bloomers, garters and surrounding environment on the other hand…

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

If it looks like a prostitute and smells like a prostitute etc.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

…then she was totally asking for it?

• tetracycloide says:

GunnerMcCaffrey, do you honestly think pointing out the third screenshot looks like a brothel is sexist, are you just being obtuse, or did you not actually look at it long enough to notice they’re walking around in their underwear talking with richly dressed men who are wearing masks.

• Justin Keverne says:

Latest game in series looks like game inspired by same series…. News at eleven.

• Cinek says:

hehe, some screens look like taken in Dishonored! :D
        Will see how the gameplay goes. Without the cheatcodes magical skills it might be actually a great game.

• abremms says:

I wish more games took a nod from Dishonored, both in game play and in art direction.

• Baines says:

From the sound of some stuff, it may be following Dishonored and Hitman Absolution more than it is the Thief franchise.

3. AlwaysRight says:

Holy Shitsnacks!

4. NathanH says:

Looks pretty nice, although not really a fan of the hands in the first person view, looks a bit weird. The blurry one in front of the table looks like some sort of object highlighting like in Human Revolution, but as a special view mode rather than always-on, which seems a good compromise.

5. ResonanceCascade says:

But is it an actual Thief game? I really did enjoy Human Revolution for what it was, but it definitely wasn’t a Deus Ex game.

That said, even if they go down the same road here, I’m excited to see what they come up with…

• Zunt says:

I was thinking the same thing: HR was good but no Deus Ex, but then I wondered whether even the Deus Ex team could remake Deus Ex. Maybe it was a glorious and unrepeatable accident, like the beginning of life or the time you made a soufflé; its perfection now only available in the sepia pages of memory.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Nah, it’s just a matter of having a clear philosophy. In Deus Ex, the environments were places first, and game levels second. In DX:HR, everything was designed explicitly for the player.

Many many game designers, both PC and tabletop, will tell you that’s good and the right thing to do. But it misses the point of creating a deeper experience, looking beyond only the immediate choices a player can make. That more than anything is what’s lacking in modern videogames.

• arccos says:

I’m not sure Deus Ex would be the poster child for realistic spaces.

• Ricochet64 says:

I hope you are not saying that just because of the graphics. If you are, I will drop you in a pit of un-harnessed bears. They are quite cuddly.

• JackShandy says:

No, all the looking glass games had pretty unrealistic spaces. They made sure to make one part a kitchen and one part an office, but the way all those things fit together often made no sense.

• Ansob says:

Human Revolution absolutely was a Deus Ex game, though. Right down to the ending sequence being dire and the multiple endings being four buttons in a room!

• JD Ogre says:

Er, no. If it were a Deus Ex game, you would have had to WORK for your ending of choice (even the consolized-to-the-point-of-BLECH Invisible War got that bit right) instead of beating a boss and then quicksaving at a row of buttons and clicking & reloading to see all the endings without earning them.

• Ansob says:

If “you have to work for your multiple endings” is what defines Deus Ex, I think you have a problem.

Also, you may want to go replay Deus Ex. You “work” for your ending by going to a slightly different part of one big room and maybe killing a robot or two or dodging some sludge.

• Jason Moyer says:

You couldn’t get all the endings on one playthrough of DXHR though. I can’t remember exactly how many endings there were, but there were at least 3 variations on each button depending on how you played the rest of the game.

• Bhazor says:

Ahhh, the blinkers of nostalgia.

• HadToLogin says:

Yup, 3 slightly different monologues, depending if you were good, neutral or bad. Funny, thing is, I don’t think anyone knows how that’s decided – some sources say it depends how many enemies you kill.

And if that’s true, that would make DEHR first game where ending depends you player’s playstyle, not how he end quests.

• Runs With Foxes says:

You’re the one who needs to play it again. There are entirely different objectives taking place across more than one map. I don’t even know what you mean by “sludge”. You must have a really bad memory if you think Deus Ex’s ending choices are “four buttons in a room”.

• Emeraude says:

HR was a cargo cult adaption of the original, from a structural point of view. It followed its sequencing of events almost slavishly.

Yet missed most of what made the original great.

Not that it was a bad game (not a great one either), but it missed the emergent part altogether, and illusion of choice impact.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, the emergent gameplay is what I meant when I said it wasn’t really a Deus Ex game. The interactivity of the world and the way the powers were designed didn’t bring out the kinds of crazy water cooler moments that made me love Deus Ex.

Interestingly, the modern games that have have those kinds of moments are primarily the Bethesda games and, of all things, the first Crysis. Something I hadn’t really thought about until now.

• Jahkaivah says:

While I don’t consider the original Deus Ex to have the best approach to multiple endings, each of the “end game buttons” were all in distinctly different parts of the final level, each with a separate objective that had to be fulfilled first, not all in the same room.

And there are some fairly big differences between the Deus Ex and Human Revolution, one of the more notable ones being the distinction between big open areas and more enclosed corridors for missions, important since Invisible War’s use of corridors over open areas was among lot of people’s reasons for saying it sucked.

• roryok says:

This is all intriguing to me, as I’m currently playing through DXHR. I’ve never actually finished Deus Ex properly (never got beyond Hong Kong). But I’m finding that elements of the original that I did experience are shoehorned into the game to try and make it more like the original. And yet no multitool!

• Rao Dao Zao says:

I am also thinking the same thing. Then again, Invisible War was a bit pants but I really enjoyed Deadly Shadows, so maybe history will pleasantly repeat itself?

• Lagwolf says:

I have to agree with your point. DX: HR was a great game and possibly worthy of the name but it was no Deus Ex. It was more a modern interpretation.

• Ultra Superior says:

Oh God Ex, not another thread consisting of snobs slamming DXHR.

DXHR was a brilliant Deus Ex prequel, nearly perfect. For naysayers I strongly recommend to play DX1 again. Just to refresh your memories a bit. Put things into perspective.

• Cinek says:

+1. It definitely IS the prequel. A proper one. With flaws of the original game.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Read what I posted slowly and perhaps aloud.

And I play Deus Ex all the time, thanks.

• Runs With Foxes says:

I’ve played Deus Ex countless times, including since DXHR’s release. It’s an incomprehensively better game.

• Ultra Superior says:

Countless times you say? Well, since you’ve started dick measuring contest, I’ve finished DX *eleven* times…. as a matter of fact.

Anyway, DX:HR is a great and worthy successor (Unlike IW) you should bitch less and enjoy it more, there are COUNTLESS watercooler moments there too. Just go ahead and find them.

6. Hungry Like the Wholphin says:

This looks like every Generic Console Sneak and Combo Leap Game circa 2011

We’ll see what they did to the atmosphere.

The original games were made before Steampunk became a thing and then a running gag. The screenshots aren’t giving me much confidence about the integrity of the worldspace over…

Let’s cram a lot of gears and rust in there

• ulix says:

“This looks like every Generic Console Sneak and Combo Leap Game circa 2011″

So it looks like no game that was ever released? That’s pretty neat then, isn’t it?

Of the 10 actual screenshots we see here, exactly one has gears in it. Probably valves, though.
      And the one picture with actual gears is a clockwork, for fuck’s sake.

Stop being cynical and actually look at the stuff before posting. That’d be an idea for the future of commenting, wouldn’t it?

• Hungry Like the Wholphin says:

Not only did I never sleep with your mother, I never even met the dear old lady.

Also if you were actually familiar with games like Arkham Asylum, you would know what I was talking about.

7. Sam says:

Must have been very odd for the team making it to deal with Dishonoured coming out. On the one hand, hooray for a game similar to theirs being praised and generally received well. On the other, there are surely “everyone’s going to call us Dishonoured with bows” worries.

• Ultra Superior says:

Here’s hoping Dishonoured will be dishonoured.

• sbs says:

Could be to their advantage: As far as I know, Dishonoured did fairly well commercially, so that may convince publishers to go an extra mile with that new game that is like Dishonoured ;)

8. kataras says:

Loins readied.

Vertical bow handling did not like. But excited nevertheless. Half of them like concept art look?

9. Zunt says:

Ohmigod! I done a special wee!

Check screenshots: rope climbing? Check. Masked ball? Check (squeeeee). Overhearing inane guard conversations? Check. Guards escorting important target, mantling onto a rooftop to overlook that grimy city you call home, getting biffed in the face by an angry guard? Oh checkitty.

And then there’s more which appear to be steam, punks and aged metals.

Oh you special taffer, you wouldn’t disappoint me, would you…

• Eddy9000 says:

I’m so with you, got a bit worried when half the revs left the studio, and when the producer said “Thi4f will be about more than stealth”; but yes, it is now an undeniable fact that there is a first person option, along with physical hands, rope arrows are back (ker-spooge!), and best of all Garret doesn’t even have a sword in any of the screenshots. I’m praying for a game where killing is entirely unnessecary, in fact is even like to see an option where the blackjack is removed (feels a bit too much like from-behind killing). I want to be a thief, not a swordsman, not an assassin, a THIEF. Judging from the screen shots it might be happy days.

• Snargelfargen says:

Yeah this has all the right ingredients so far.

One thing worries me though: The screenshot with Garrett sticking his hands in a guard’s face. That indicates a non-lethal takedown from the front which is all wrong. Being able to kill guards in combat with the ease of a button press is not something a thief should even be capable of doing.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I interpreted it as him shoving the guard, who would be knocked off balance and thus unable to pursue for a precious few seconds while Garrett runs away.

Of course your interpretation is perhaps more likely, but I like mine better.

• Snargelfargen says:

Oh man, being able to push/desperately flail at guards would be the best.

• Justin Keverne says:

Based on the content of the Game Informer article Garrett has the option to either shove the guard and run, or perform some sort of “take-down” the latter uses more “Focus”, take that as you will.

• Ultra Superior says:

What I like about the screenshots shown is that they’re pretty ‘CROWDED’, considering it’s a stealth game, so there will most likely be a way to escape situations where you’ve been spotted.

My guess would be – some kind of non-lethal “push/takedown” to handle single pursuant and good ol’ flashbombs to handle groups.

• Snargelfargen says:

Reading some more of the GameInformer article, Thief will mostly be about escaping dangerous situations, so yeah Crowded is a good description. There’s a rechargeable “focus” mode that lets you demolish guards in one-on-one combat, and they mention environmental hazards like shooting arrows at chandeliers to crush guards standing below. The grapple claw suggests escaping could be as easy as grappling onto a nearby roof.

Sounds fun, although I’m sad that Garrett is becoming more superhuman. The action-hero stuff is neat, but it’s not really Thief.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Fuck’s sake. Cinematic takedowns in this one too, then.

• Ultra Superior says:

It’s actually good to have other escape option than just QUICKLOAD, at least that way they can afford to make direct melee confrontation deadly.

• Eddy9000 says:

Oh I love you. This is exactly what I was thinking that thief needed, I got sick of the “get found-reload” mechanic of Dishonoured forced on you by it’s roster of achievements. I hope thief has no achievement for not being detected, ; being caught should necessitate escape, it should be PART OF THE GAME. Reloading because discovery is so catastrophic really kills the immersion.

Also snargle you’re right, thief was part of the ‘new man’ hero trend of the ’90′s along with Gordon Freeman where ordinary and outgunned people would come out on top, a move away from the ‘action heroes’ like Duke Nukem. It would be a shame if this underdog mentality didn’t come across in the new game. Corto is not Garret, thief is a disempowerment fantasy rather than an empowerment one.

• Eddy9000 says:

It seems like the focus mode might be more about escape than combat, so fingers crossed.

• Snargelfargen says:

“While in combat, Focus displays a number of attack points on Garret’s enemies. Garrett can select one of these points, the chest for example, and do a quick push that buys him some time to dash off into the shadows. Alternatively he can string together a number of these points, which uses more Focus and perform a more debilitating attack”

It’s basically VATS from Fallout 3. Pause game, select Matrix maneuver, watch cinematic takedown.

“We want you to play as a thief, but we don’t to force you to play as a thief. You can play the game aggressively if you want, but it won’t be easy.”

Apparently Focus is a finite (recharging) resource, so small encounters will be incredibly easy and large ones will be very hard. This turns combat into sort of a resource management game. It actually sounds fun, but not at all scary or tense like the previous Thief games.

The stuff in quotes is from the GameInformer article. Only available for subscribers unfortunately.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Why would a game called THIEF be about being seen and escaping from guards, engaging in fights, performing CHAIN ATTACKS, and causing statues to fall on your opponents?

Thief used to be about infiltration and avoidance. That’s why it was called Thief, and not ASSASSIN RUMBLE 2000

This new version of Thief is (explicitly, according to the developers) about being forced into “impossible situations” and then escaping from them. It’s a fundamental departure from the series.

They can make that game if they want. But why the fuck would they call it Thief?

• Ultra Superior says:

@Runs With Foxes

I don’t think you’re being fair – it’s all just a quick summary of features. Of course the ultimate goal will be to sneak about unseen. They’re crystal clear about that.

I don’t see anything wrong with additional options – you can blackjack the guy or you can topple a gargoyle on him from the rooftop. Where’s the fault in having that option?

In Thief I & II it was actually quite easy to win swordfights if you knew how to, and it was extremely easy to just fire arrow the guards – but you wouldn’t do that, would you, because the point of the game was something else.

• InternetBatman says:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. Takedowns are all well and fun, but characters are far more vulnerable without them and vulnerability defines a stealth game.

10. MajorManiac says:

I’m holding off getting excited by this just yet. It will be far too easy for the Devs to get this wrong. Although there is the slim chance it could be like Thief 2. *Crosses Everything*

11. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

There’ve been enough underwhelming reboots recently that I’m not going to get automatically excited at the appearance of an old name. I mean here’s hoping it’s good, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves just because some decade old games were awesome.

Also, I’m not that getting worked up about the announcement of a reboot sits entirely comfortably with recent comments in RPS articles that nostalgia is the cancer killing Kickstarter…

• woodsey says:

Same developer as DX:HR, separate team. People aren’t excited just because Thief’s an old name of a series that was good.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Heh. DX:HR’s actually one of the underwhelming reboots I had in mind. It’s not bad – it’s good, I enjoyed it – but for me it was a fun MGS-alike to play through and not an awful lot more. That’s not to say that A) that’ll definitely happen with Thief IV or that B) if it does then it won’t be fun, but the prospect of DX:HR Dark Ages doesn’t really compare to The Dark Project for me.

But, yeah – wait and see and all that.

12. Lobster9 says:

Brothels. Giving stealth games an excuse to add more than three colors since 1426.

On a more serious note, the screenshots aren’t that bad, even if it turned out to be a Dishonored clone, it could be a lot worse.

13. Alec Meer says:

Hmm, comments deactivated themselves for some reason. Feel free to bellow things at the internet now though.

14. Epicedion says:

My heart it ceases
    My breath undrawn
    My eyes forever focused
    On the sanguine metal dawn

• Faxmachinen says:

Wood floors it trappers grass
      Bricksy walls it trappers wind
      Stone hearths it trappers fire.
      Trappers are we by the works of hands
      And forgets us we were ever free.
      – Inked grass scroll

He who learns only what others know
      Is as ignorant as if he learnt nothing.
      The true treasures of knowledge are the most rare
      And guarded most harshly.
      – Keeper annals

When I was being forged -
      Karras took me away from the foundry mother and said
      Thou art a child of my endeavours
      Follow me and thou shall inherit the earth.
      – Child of Karras

… is it weird that I can recite decade old videogame poetry from memory?

15. Inigo says:

Eidos Montreal has been working for years to reboot the classic stealth series Thief

Ohhhhhhhhhhh godddddddd.

• Justin Keverne says:

The third game had a fairly definitive end, in some ways I’d rather a reboot than they attempt to force something after that arc.

• DigitalParadox says:

Couldn’t they just make some sequel in the same world with the same time of gameplay WITHOUT Garrett as a main character? It seems like these days they just reboot any series where writing a sequel would be too hard.

• Justin Keverne says:

They could, I imagine they decided that Garrett himself was a core part of what made a Thief game, and I’m not sure I’d completely disagree.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Just so long as they’ve got Stephen Russell in to do the voice. It’s not Garrett otherwise.

• Ansob says:

They even had a snarky female apprentice Garrett was training. They were all set! :(

• Mordsung says:

The constant reboot cycles become more bearable when you realize that we’ve always been doing it as humans.

Our religions are reboots of older religions, our political ideals are reboots of older political ideals, our music goes in cycles as well.

We’ve always been rebooters, it is not realistic to assume we’ll stop. The only thing that has significantly changed is the length of the reboot cycles and the fact that we have better documentation of works that came before, so we recognize a reboot a lot faster.

16. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I’ve been waiting on any news on this game since 2009 and now suddenly a glittering rain of screenshots. With my great love of the series and Eidos-Montreal’s work on Human Revolution, my money has already been stolen.

17. Kasab says:

Look at Garrett’s thighs. He has a grappling hook gun thing mounted on his right thigh. This is important.

18. Theory says:

It’s a bit bright, isn’t it? I don’t know why those guards are carrying torches. Hopefully they chose/edited those screens for clarity.

Still very excited! :D

• Hilden2000 says:

Fun anecdote on lighting, I was playing Hitman 2 the other day and one of the levels supplies you with a night vision mask to make sneaking around in the dark easier, well nuts to that I said, I just fiddled with the gamma. Hooray for PC!

• Chris D says:

They are a bit but, to be fair, nobody ever posted screenshots of the earlier games without turning up the brightness either, otherwise we’d all be complaining that we couldn’t see anything.

• Josh W says:

That’s what’s wrong with it!

There’s some other details about the proportions of things that seem off; in my head I’d transferred the blockyness of the games architecture into a quite spartan architectural style, whereas this is all bits everywhere, but more than anything it’s the diffusion and brightness of the lighting; one great way to cheat darkness is with more discrete shadows, (assuming the number of light sources is much lower) whereas these shadows are very soft edged.

19. Hoaxfish says:

surprising low of Thi4f jokes.

In similar news: a Bloodbowl Manager screenshot

• Lambchops says:

Damnit, if only I’d been a bit quicker on the draw with the submit button I could have made you look oh so foolish! But alas I was too slow to n1nja you.

• Vorphalack says:

I was under the impression they had dropped the whole Thiefourf thing. Because, you know, it was bloody stupid.

20. fish99 says:

I replayed Thief Gold and Thief 2 late last year, in stereo 3D too (nvidia 3D Vision – which RPS thinks is ‘tat’ btw), and they’re as good as ever, absolutely stellar games.

Pretty much zero interest in this though, and likewise I’ve never touched Thief 3. I’ve read enough about T3 at TTLG to know it’s not a real Thief game in any meaningful way, and I find it very unlikely T4 will be either given modern gaming trends.

• Justin Keverne says:

To claim Thief 3 is “not a real Thief game in any meaningful way” is utter dross.

• Gamboni says:

Aww, T3 had its issues and is admittedly a slight departure from the core values of the series in some ways, but it did have a lovely atmosphere that made me want to keep playing until the end. Well almost until the end, because fuck Shalebridge Cradle.

• Kasab says:

Never take TTLG’s opinion on Thief 3 seriously. Never take TTLG’s opinion on anything seriously, I say.

• Eddy9000 says:

It’s a shame because this website has made you miss out on an excellent game that is very much in the spirit of the first two thief games. I would stop reading it if I were you, any website that’s convinced you that T3 isn’t a proper thief game is just spouting utter bullshit.

• fish99 says:

Just to be clear, I’m talking about the general consensus among Thief fans who inhabit the TTLG forums. TBH I can’t even remember what I read that put me off trying it, but I did look into it. It was probably the amount of in-level loading.

One thing for sure though, it isn’t the open world Thief 3 Looking Glass were making when they shut down, and few of the LG team worked on it.

….but maybe I should have a look at it.

• Eddy9000 says:

Oh just buy it! If you’re old enough to remember thief 1&2 then you must have £7 disposable income.

• Faxmachinen says:

You should definitively have a look at it, it did do some good things. The Cradle is one of the finest examples of building an atmosphere to date.

It’s not so much a Thief game though; The Dark Mod did a much better job of capturing the spirit of Thief with some of its fan-made missions. But as with DXHR, this is not necessarily a shortcoming.

There are a few areas where TDS does fall short however, and I suspect your enjoyment depends on how much you care about the following:
          * If you loved just exploring the vast, interconnected city, you’ll find TDS to be cramped and oppressive. The small levels and frequent load zones turn each area into something more like a disjointed puzzle box.
          * If you loved playing the silent trespasser in a sleeping city, you may be dismayed to learn that there will be frequent midnight brawls in the city plaza. AI fight each other without any involvement on your part and for no reason other than being different “factions”.
          * If you loved the brash and dynamic music of the earlier games, you may find the constant slow ambient drone of TDS somewhat underwhelming.
          * If you like all the colors of the spectrum, you’ll get blue haze instead. I note with worry that this seems to be true of the shots in this article as well.

• Jahandar says:

While Thief 3 may not be quite as flawless as 1 and 2, it is still very much a Thief game. If you consider yourself a fan of the series, I think you should at least check it out. The biggest problems are that it has a few issues with modern systems, and there are a lot more loading screens due to console limitations.

21. Kestilla says:

I’ll say I hope this game is only a mix of third-person like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. A large focus on Third-Person like they implemented in Thief: Deadly Shadows made the whole game feel wonky for a series veteran.

22. Lambchops says:

As I said in the forum thread I’m just disappointed that I can’t mock it for being called Thi4f anymore.

Truly a sad day for both myself and RP5 as a whole.

• Jahkaivah says:

Watching that Game Informer video it seems they have dropped it in favor of the moniker “Teeth”.

Finally, it’s about time game developers fulfilled by desire to be a Victorian era dentist!

23. mehteh says:

Expectations are low, especially when considering how lame Doorman Absolution turned out. I also havent liked their other console focus titles SupCom2 and DX:HR.

24. Hilden2000 says:

Good heavens not a brothel, those places have no place in the dark, corrupt world of Thief, I mean scantily clad women exist there, scantily clad women designed to fleece money from rich lonely men with deep pockets and perhaps keys to their safes, why EVER would young Garrett find himself in such an establishment?!

• ulix says:

As can be seen in the history of human civilization, there’s been dozens of industrialized cultures without brothels. Because…

Wait, what?

• karry says:

“Good heavens not a brothel, those places have no place in the dark, corrupt world of Thief”

Who cares, they had SUNRISE in Thief 3 ! And OPTIMISTIC ENDING !!!
      After that, what’s a brothel or two…

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Remember the mission in Thief: The Dark Project that took place entirely in broad daylight?

Yes, all right, nearly all of it was underground, but still. Daylight.

• karry says:

But it was a bleak and cloudy day, all right ? And Garett was fighting severe depression stroke. Also his girlfriend dumped him.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

That explains why Garrett’s always so snarky and misanthropic.

• Eddy9000 says:

brothel levels have replaced sewer levels and arctic levels as the new tediously predictable location.

25. Theory says:

Speculation:

“Free to steal”. Open world?

• HighlordKiwi says:

I had a much darker thought when I read ‘Free to Steal’… premium arrows and micro-transactions to distract guards.

26. CptSqweky says:

That doesn’t look like Garrett. Or maybe it’s just the strange Bandana covering his face like he belongs in the Wild West.

27. ulix says:

By the way:

This is NOT the same team as DE:HR. It’s another team within the same studio.

28. Ironclad says:

Is it me, or does the second screenshot (Garrett (?) Hanging From Ledge With Bow Drawn On Bridge Background) look more like artwork than in-engine screenshots?

Also, where’s the taffing steampunk? All I can see is the clocktower mechanism, where are the boilers, tesla coils, those light fountains you saw in the Metal Age, elevators, etc…?

29. MuscleHorse says:

All it needs now is a silly subtitle.

Thief: Took’d.

30. yabonn says:

Arrows, get ready to be roped.

Also : the ghoul-breath from n° 3, and maybe the Craddle – but nothing else please.

31. jonfitt says:

“ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant”. Wait, which game are we talking about?

32. derbefrier says:

Fuck yeah. Some pretty pictures there.

33. GallonOfAlan says:

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE ERECT

34. Nallen says:

What happened to that Thi4f thing that was so widely mocked?

35. cliffski says:

This is how excited we all got about sim city…

just sayin…

• Prime says:

Speak for yourself….

• Bhazor says:

But that is by Square Enix. A truly terrible developer but a decent publisher.

Certainly their treatment of Deus Ex: Human Resources gives hope it will get the standard Steamworks treatment. So y’know, it’ll come with DRM but at least its the industry standard DRM.

• Emeraude says:

Thank you for killing the tiny bit of hope I was trying to muster for that game.

I feel free now.

(On the gameplay front, I’ll give Eidos Montreal the benefit of the doubt. HR was a mess, but it showed potential…)

36. DrScuttles says:

It looks to me like Garrett (?) has his mechanical right eye which I have to admit makes me hopeful that this is a sequel and not a reboot, despite the torch-passing of Thief 3.

37. karry says:

“Just ‘Thief’ then, do we think?”

*GROAN*

38. obvioustroll says:

Looks like soul reaver in one of those shots, dishonored in the others.

39. popedoo says:

Woweewowwowweeeoweoeoweoeoe,

I am very happy to see Thief is back, as it is my favourite-ist game ever-ist.

At the risk of being branded a puritan I do have two requirements for this game however:

1) Stephen Russell does the voice.
    2) They keep the moss arrow sound the same.

Other than that, go crazy!

• int says:

Yes! Stephen Russell is as important to Thief as David Bateson is to Hitman.

I was so happy when he was voicing the main character in Bioshock Infinite and so sad when it turned out he was just a placeholder. (hope this is not a doublepost)

• Eddy9000 says:

I sure he was leaked as doing the voice, but could be wrong. Also:

Twang. Womph womph womph womph…..

40. Vivian says:

If anyone reads this, please pay close attention to the script. Thief has always had superlative scripts. And when you have to hang around under a desk waiting for someone to move for like ten minutes, having great dialogue to listen to really makes the experience SO much better. Dishonored really dropped the ball in that regard (whisky and cigars etc, whatevs).

• ResonanceCascade says:

A very good point. Looking Glass also showed a huge amount of restraint regarding what you heard, read, and was said in cutscenes. They managed to keep exposition to a minimum while still keeping a nice level of depth and complexity in the story and setting.

That’s important for this series.

41. VanishedDecoy says:

Very cool, but I have this unfortunate feeling that it’s going to be streamlined in a negative way. In my opinion, every stealth game as of late including Dishonored and Mark of the Ninja, despite being fun in general, have all had little instances of simplification (for lack of a better word) so that the overall game could be more easily played by those who do not very much care for serious stealth experiences to begin with. A single example for both games would be the ability to see through walls which eliminates any need to cautiously and cleverly scope out a set area before advancing.

At this point, though, all I ask for is that the game focuses on the practice of thievery rather than homicide.

• ffordesoon says:

I suppose I can understand your point about Dishonored, but how exactly could you “scope out” unexplored areas from a 2D PC-centered perspective without seeing through walls? Especially in MotN’s heavily segmented levels?

Not to mention that being able to hear guys through walls is kind of important for a stealth game, and 3D positional audio doesn’t work in 2D.

• VanishedDecoy says:

Just to be clear, I was talking about the farsight ability. I didn’t have an issue at all with leaning up against a door and being able see people on the other side. The sound notifications that appear when a guard is walking out of sight was fine, too.

42. karthink says:

I’m scared they’re going to tart up the combat and make it an action game because it’s an easier sell. (Or at least make it slick, like Dishonored.)

Also a little worried about the level design. If Deus Ex: HR is anything to go by, it’s going to be fairly contrived and gamey, with clearly demarcated paths ending in chokepoints.

Other than that, gotta say I’m cautiously optimistic.

43. Prime says:

LOVE that Thief is back yes yes YES!
    LOVE that the publishers removed that stupid ’4′ from inside the title.
    LOVE that it’s Garret once again (Hearing Stephen Russell all over the place in Skyrim made me pine for Garrett very badly)

PLEASED that Thief is being treated as a Next-Gen console launch title. Gives it a chance to bloom for new audiences.

NOT SO SURE about the screenies and concept shots, undeniably beautiful though they are. Stylistically it looks very different, almost unrecognisable as The City of earlier games. This could be a very different game, one that feels it has to become Dishonoured to be appealing.

OH the worry, it is now severe.

44. Inigo says:

THANK YOU FOR HIGHLIGHTING ALL THOSE USABLE OBJECTS FOR ME, MAGICAL GLAUCOMA VISION

45. Hilden2000 says:

Bit off-topic and my memory’s fuzzy on it but did you ever get to visit an actual bear pit in the previous three games? Sounds like something that could be rectified…

46. Tuor says:

Actually, one of my hopes for this game is that: They have “Expert” level where you are *not* supposed ot kill people. Garrett is a thief, not a murderer. :P

In other words, I hope they try to keep the same sort of tenor that ran though the original couple of games. Alas, this isn’t Looking Glass Studios, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

• karry says:

“one of my hopes for this game is that: They have “Expert” level where you are *not* supposed ot kill people.”

Or at the very least that difficulty level didnt switch to easy every time you load the game.

47. CobraLad says:

What Golden Cat level is doing there?
    I think someone messed up Thief and Dishonored screenshots, it really looks samey to the point of lawsuit.

• Eddy9000 says:

Except dishonoured was inspired by the thief series, and the new thief has been in development longer than dishonoured. But whatever.

48. Bhazor says:

That really really *REALLY* looks like Dishonoured.

Hell it even has a level inside a masque party in a brothel.

49. cervor says:

Best stealth series evoir and also one of the best D&D inspired games. One of the things I would complain about is the extravagant-decadent style creeping into some screenshots. That’s just in all “sophisticated” first-person games nowadays and it doesn’t quite fit into the unique (or archetypal) atmosphere of Thief. I also hope Garret still totally sucks at all kinds of combat.

Comment on this story