Wasteland Kings Is Vlambeer’s All-Star Roguelike

By Nathan Grayson on August 19th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

That is one cool, collected green mutant platypus quill monster

VLAMBEER NEVER STOPS. I know. They told me so. Seriously though, Luftrausers isn’t even off the launchpad yet, and the Super Crate Box developer is already making admirable progress on a very impressive-looking action-roguelike called Wasteland Kings. I actually had the chance to play it and discuss its various ins-and-outs with Vlambeer recently, so expect impressions very soon. But until then, know this: it’s a rapid-fire, deliciously crunchy randomized romp starring a cavalcade of characters from Vlambeer’s past. And the craziest part? The arcade action maestros are going to stream a very large portion of its development – with you playing along at home via Steam Early Access.

Here’s the basic gist, straight from the flaming bear monster silhouette thing’s mouth:

“Wasteland Kings is Vlambeers latest action roguelike-like about mutants that spend their workdays trying to fight for the throne in a post-apocalyptic world. The radioactive waste in the world allows mutants to get ahead by mutating new limbs on the fly and the abundant availability of powerful weaponry make the quest to become Wasteland King one fraught with peril. All of this is really just an excuse for us to make a fun action game.”

You can watch the entire development process unfold on Vlambeer’s Twitch channel, and the game will apparently hit Steam Early Access very, very soon. So basically, you’ll be along for the whole ride. Some of it probably won’t be pretty, but I can almost guarantee that it’ll be eye-opening.

On the upside, the few rounds I recently played already felt quite nice, with Vlambeer’s love of tightly tuned twitch-action antics on full display. I was reminded quite a bit of Binding of Isaac, only without all the kludgy movement and general awfulness of its Java-based engine (which is not to say BoI itself is bad; I love that game). Basically, this is one to keep an eye on.

Impressions/interview soon. But for now, what do you think of Wasteland Kings?

, , , .

LTK says:

I got this game as part of the Mojam Humble Bundle and it was easily the most fun game of the bunch. Only it didn’t play nice with my sound card, so I haven’t played it much. I wonder if Mojam contributors willreceive updates.

• Feather says:

It was really good, the music was pretty nice too, I sunk quite a few hours into it. I was even discussing it with my friend, that it was so good that Vlambeer could’ve been selling it in the Mojam Bundle state. Good thing they followed up on the project and we’ll get the fully polished product.

2. Phendron says:

But where was Luftrausers?

3. Grey Poupon says:

Action roguelike? So it’s like The Pit? The Pit was a decent little game, I’m sure there’s room for one more of those.

LTK says:

I don’t know why you would describe The Pit as an ‘action’ roguelike, but Wasteland Kings is real-time instead of turn-based. Teleglitch would be a slightly closer relative.

• Grey Poupon says:

Cause that’s what it is to me. How is it not action? I call games like FO3 action RPG’s as they’re more about the action than roleplaying. And The Pit is pretty much only about action. Other than that it’s quite clearly a roguelike. Teleglitch on the other hand isn’t, but thanks for clearing that up for me anyway.

• Darloth says:

So by that definition, Rogue is an Action Roguelike? (Because seriously I don’t remember much else except fighting monsters and questing for the amulet of vague plot relevance)

More seriously, I’ve taken to calling this sort of thing a beta-roguelike (or possibly a roguelike²), because it has some of the elements typical to roguelikes without all of those that rogue had (or at least turn based tile movement, which seems to be the primary difference between an alpha and beta generation roguelike)

It looks fun though, I regretted not trying it earlier, so I’m quite glad I’ll get the opportunity to try an improved version.

DeVadder says:

So Realm Of The Mad God without the MMO part?

4. apocraphyn says:

All that money from the Kickstarter, and not only did they go back on all the “highly reactive traditional RPG” promises, but THOSE are the graphics?!

This is the biggest fiasco since Notch’s “Elder Scrolls”.

• The Random One says:

Well, thanks for breaking my sarcasm detector, jerk.

• Blue Shark says:

Dude, what are you talking about? This was on kickstarter when? AFAIK it was part of Humble Bundle Mojam 2 as part of create game in 78 hours challenge. Graphics? I suppose you don’t like games like Hotline Miamy or FTL either.

• ANeM says:

It is a joke, based on purposely confusing “Wasteland Kings” with “Wasteland 2″
        The tell is in the last line, where he mentions “Notch’s “Elder Scrolls”.”

TL;DR: Woooosh

• The Random One says:

I actually got that this morning. So it took me almost a whole 24hours to get this joke. I don’t know wether to praise or insult the OP.

• Cloudiest Nights says:

CONFUSEDFACE

5. Teovald says:

Wasn’t the Binding of Isaac made in Flash (which has nothing to do whatsoever with java) ??

basilisk says:

Indeed it was. Indie darling Minecraft was written in Java, which is actually quite suitable for this kind of thing. Flash most certainly isn’t.

jrodman says:

Eh, you could build a thing like this in flash readily. I’d prefer a java program for a variety of reasons, but building stuff in actionscript is doable, and you can mitigate the overhead of flash doing more vectorization than you want to get good framerates. But yes, java is going to provide access to better integration and performance.

• Didero says:

Yeah, Binding of Isaac was made in Flash. Kind of badly too, which accounts for the bad framerates.

Wasteland Kings, at least the version from the Mojang Bundle charity event thing, was made in Game Maker.

• Phasma Felis says:

“Eh, you could build a thing like this in flash readily.”

You could, but you shouldn’t, because Flash is awful.

6. povu says:

Sounds good, I think I’ll go steal it.

7. Ahtaps says:

This looks like a more interesting Realm of the Mad God. Something I would not say no to.

8. Ironclad says:

So how long until someone steals gets inspired by this? All bets are off.

9. The Random One says:

I love Vlambeer with all my loins, and the fact that they referred to their game as a roguelike-like with the internet equivalent of a straight face makes me love them even more.

10. Phasma Felis says:

I would definitely pay money for Binding of Isaac without all the (figuratively and literally) shitty parts.