More Alone: Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut Trailer

By Craig Pearson on September 24th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Adam’s many words on Lone Survivor, the excellent horror adventure game from Jasper Byrne, are now completely redundant. A waste of black and white pixels. A pox on the RPS servers. I’ll log-in later and delete them, and then possibly delete Adam and take his place. Why? Well, Lone Survivor is about to receive the attention of a Director’s Cut, which will bring more story, better lighting, as well as bits that were cut for being too elaborate to make properly before the release date. It will re-frame the game. Why kill Adam? I dunno. It’s something to do. An eeky trailer with a strange song is beneath.

There will be function to the updates, adding new effects and lights to each scene, new music, new dialogue, and game over music. The form will bring new side-quests to compliment the six new locations, the pair of new endings, and a new meta-narrative that emerged as Jasper was polishing up his old gem. He’s even added a pair of new endings.

This is all thanks to a deal with Sony to bring the game to the various PlayStations (I’ve lost count), so while he made the new content for the black slab, he nicely decided to redo the PC version as well. The PlayStation version is out today, and the PC version will be coming to Steam “as soon as I can physically do it”. Here’s hoping it won’t take too long.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

Top comments

1. DrScuttles says:

Lone Survivor was a game where art, reference and reality weirdly collided for me. It’s also one of those few games I’ve played where completing a total pacifist run felt like an actual achievement. And that’s the cutest Sleepy Cat on Jasper Byrne’s blog there. I want one, mental health be damned.

1. Alexander says:

RPS writers deleting and replacing one another for eternity, that’s what you have brought upon the world!

Also, I loved the original, did not finish it, this is great news. Apart from buying it again.

2. MuscleHorse says:

I don’t suppose whether it’s known whether this will be a free update for existing owners? I still haven’t played this despite it being in my Steam library for YONKS and was thinking of starting on it soon. If it’s free I may hold off a while longer.

• RobinOttens says:

Exactly what I was wondering. I don’t feel like buying the game again, as I already own two copies. But if this was a free update (or cheap DLC at most) I’d consider it.

Loved the original, didn’t think it was missing anything, but am willing to see what Jasper Byrne has added.

• suibhne says:

Same here: bought it, haven’t played it yet, will be cross if this new cut is an entirely separate title requiring an entirely new purchase. Here’s hoping he does the right thing and offers it as a cheap upgrade to existing customers.

• rottentomatillo says:

I am wondering about the parallel usage of Directors Cut in the movie industry and the gaming world. In movies, Directors Cuts are not given to the audience for free, but for many of the people in the comments it seems like an expectation. Not saying paying more is right or expecting devs to give us more content for free is wrong, but its something to think about.

• SavageTech says:

People don’t have to purchase a movie on disc in order to experience it. If someone is really excited for a movie they can see it in the theatre. If they are unsure and decide to wait, the movie will be available through a plethora of non-ownership avenues (e.g. rental, Netflix, Pay Per View, etc.) at roughly the same time as its physical release. Any of these methods is cheaper than buying a copy of the movie, so people tend to view a movie before deciding to own it.

The ability to experience a movie before owning it makes it easier to wait for potentially better editions of the movie before committing to a physical purchase. Diehard fans might jump the gun and buy a standard edition copy of a movie before a Director’s Cut is announced/released, but that group is also less likely to be upset with purchasing the movie multiple times. Casual fans, on the other hand, won’t mind waiting longer because they’ve already seen the movie once and can wait a year or more to see it again.

In contrast, video games offer very few intermediary solutions for experiencing the entire game before deciding to own it. While you can rent console games and beat them before you return them, you often won’t have the same experience as someone who owns the game since you’re trying to choke down a 40-hour saga in a 5-day rental. Borrowing is the only other (legal) way to experience a whole video game before committing to ownership, and that requires you to know someone with the game; again the length/replayability of games makes this a problematic factor since nobody is going to loan you a copy of Skyrim for at least the first month or so that it’s out.

What it boils down to is this: because of the differences in experience and availability between movies and games, Director’s Cut movies don’t usually screw over early supporters of the product while Director’s Cut games often do.

3. Wedge says:

Sounds like enough new content to give it a second playthrough. Hopefully I won’t need a guide to see the damn can opener this time.

4. ZIGS says:

What a missed opportunity to up the resolution… the pixels in this game are the size of bricks

• RobinOttens says:

I know! Why is this game still in 2D even! We’ve had 3D graphics for like twenty years now!

• Dezmiatu says:

The fat pixels were unnecessary for the font. Reading it caused headaches, which forced me to put aside the game. Here’s hoping the director’s cut gives you an option for more legible text.

• Synesthesia says:

Hm… i have been avoinding finishing this one like i avoided finishing dark souls. I just didnt want it to end. Guess its time.

5. szendroib says:

Why does the protagonist has that huge smile all the time, is he a maniac?

6. DrScuttles says:

• realitysconcierge says:

That is crazy.

• floogles says:

I actually understood that screenshot you posted of the coffee mug – because this happened to me as well (well the strange references anyway). The closest game to twin peaks that I’ve ever played and I actually had a little back and forth with jasper about this.

Amazing wasn’t it?

Funny thing too was that I was playing through Fez recently, and watching twin peaks at the same time – that was also very very weird and Fez had plenty of TP refs.

7. Totally heterosexual says:

I never finished lone survivor due to just how depressingly grim it was. It was still great though and I feel like buying this out of respect more then anything else.

• Mo6eB says:

I never finished it because I got stuck in a hallway with not enough bullets to make it back. After loading I realised I need to go down that hallway to complete the objective, but since there are 3 monsters in it and I have just 4 bullets, there’s no way to make it there and back again. I decided it’s probably just a badly designed game and not wanting to replay the entire game from the start hoarding my bullets by save-scumming, I gave up.

• kalirion says:

Are you sure there was no way to sneak past the monsters? I haven’t played for very long, but the bullets seemed more like shortcuts than necessity to me.

• Totally heterosexual says:

There are no spots like that in the game, you are just crap. Please don’t reply to my comments as a leverage for your stupid comments.

• rokmek says:

Actually the game is about sneaking past the “monsters”, which actually are implied to be normal people and it is just how your character sees them, it comes from the Silent Hill 3 part where Vincent says to Heather “They look like monsters to you?” in the library, which created that whole theory. The bullets are just a shortcut for those who just want to finish the game without regards to the story and to the psychological analysis that the creator wanted to bring. (It is like playing a Silent Hill just for the shooting)

You can actually get all the bullets you want, by trading drugs with the guy in the weapon store who’s addicted to them, he will go crazy but you will get more bullets to kill people and get your bad ending.

• BisonHero says:

It isn’t necessarily a game “about” sneaking past the monsters. It’s not like “Haha, you didn’t pick up on the hints that you should avoid killing”. Killing guys is a valid strategy, though I concede that the bad endings don’t offer anywhere near as satisfactory a plot resolution as the “green” (pacifist) ending. Also, I think the guy who says he got stuck in a hallway isn’t wrong. There are a very small number of hallways in the basement where there just are like 2-4 enemies in a row with no alcoves to hide in, so you either have to shoot them or use flares, because otherwise they bodyblock you. If he legitimately used up his scarce resources by that point, it’s possible that he was just screwed, though I believe the blue pills should usually yield some helpful resources.

I wish the game did a better job of disclosing that killing/not killing has consequences, that TONS of actions affect your invisible sanity/wellness meter, usage of the pills has consequences, and what the fuck the pills even do. Or maybe I don’t, because if they made it super obvious, it would make a lot of things into an obvious light side/dark side Mass Effect sort of choice that wouldn’t be subtle.

Also, SPOILER TERRITORY, my understanding of the story was that you aren’t shooting regular people at all, and while the layout of your apartment and the city streets is accurate to your memories, you don’t shoot anyone or anything because almost all of the game is you creating this nightmarish world where you work through your grief over your girlfriend, with occasional flashbacks to actual memories that happened (like the weird party early in the game).

8. Bluerps says:

Maybe this time I’ll actually take some of the pills, and thus see one of the dreams.

9. Swanny says:

Wow- what a great song.

10. The Random One says:

Damn, I still haven’t played Lone Survivor (this must be what it feels like to be Craig!) so now I feel like I must hold off to see if I the Director’s Cut entirely obsoletes the previous version. Damn my tardiness!

11. twaitsfan says:

New opening music? Boo! There was something about that opening tune that really hit me.

• DrScuttles says:

It would surprise me if it replaced the main title music. The trailer music is Roost, by Big Black Delta whereas in the normal edition the in-game music was all by Jasper Byrne. Though I do really like Roost, the opening tune really sets the mood.

12. RubyTLloyd1275 says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes $68/hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for nine months but last month her pay was $15476 just working on the laptop for a few hours. find this…….

13. Shadrach says:

I am very much looking forward to playing through this again, been a while and it was a great experience.

The game feels very cramped and claustrophobic at the start but once it opens up there are lots of things to do.

14. strangeloup says:

I never got around to starting this, so I’m very much hoping that the Director’s Cut will be a free update to existing owners, or at the most a cheap DLC.

I’d get it on the PS3 but I’m not overly inclined to fork out another tenner. Sorry, Jaz.

15. CaidKean says:

Played this back in March, didn’t actually finish it though.

If I had a Vita I’d be supertempted to pick it up for that I gotta admit. I thought to myself the whole time that I played how well it’d fit on a portable platform.

Here’s hoping a PC/Steam version will be out very soon!

Comment on this story